main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Luke bring his lightsaber onto the Death Star..

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Jan 22, 2020.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Or did he leave it on the falcon? If he had it, could he have used it to cut through the magnetically sealed trash compactor pressure maintenance hatch on unit number 3263827?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Tosche_Station likes this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    No. Yes. Yes.

3. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Why didn’t Vader use his lightsaber to cut through the door after he kills Ben and sees Luke and friends escaping just as Luke blasts the doors shut?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Because letting Luke, Han and Leia escape was part of the plan.

TARKIN
    Are they away?

VADER
    They've just made the jump to hyper-space.

TARKIN
    I'm taking an awful chance Vader. This
    had better work. Are you sure the homing
    beacon is secure aboard their ship?

VADER
    Have no fear. This will be a day long
    remembered. It has seen the end of the
    end of the Jedi and will soon see the
    end of the rebellion.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This is an interesting question. Did the DS have enough gravitational pull for Luke to "park" the X-Wing on the surface? If not, how does he get to the surface? He can't just let the X-Wing float away.
    Also, he would need a space suit of some kind, since he'd basically have been doing stuff in the emptiness of space. The X-Wing has never been shown to come with a space suit, at least in the movies.

6. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Which bit are you referring to?

7. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I think the bit where Luke sneaked round and came at the exhaust port from the opposite direction, parked on the DS surface right next to the port and chucked a thermal detonator down.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Yeah that's the one. Tarkin never knew what hit him!! [face_tee_hee]

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

I don't see any lightsaber.

It would have been awfully hard to fit underneath that stormtrooper armor he was wearing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  10. Libs

Libs Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 17, 2018
    I approve of your profile picture.^:)^

11. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Would have been very dangerous for him to have it on him too. Someone spots him with it, notifies Tarkin or Vader, and suddenly it becomes a capture or kill that kid ASAP.

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    God, this film has been out for over 40 years and people still find questions to ask about it I haven't encountered before, or even thought about haha =D=

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Luke's lightsaber kind of just disappears after he puts the stormtrooper armor on and doesn't show up for the rest of the movie. That might be part of what led some viewers to assume the lightsaber Ben uses is the same one he gives to Luke in his hut.

Taking the first movie in isolation, it is kind of confusing. We're introduced to the blue-bladed lightsaber belonging to Luke's father, which is activated exactly once in the film, and then it just hangs at Luke's side doing nothing, so that a casual viewer might not notice it. Then, in the cantina, Ben whips out his own blue-bladed lightsaber which we've otherwise never been introduced to. Then, on the Death Star, Ben's lightsaber is left behind on the station while Luke's is never seen again. Unless you're paying close attention to the hilts, it's very easy to assume they're one and the same.

14. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Wow, I never noticed this. I suppose it was left on the Falcon. Then maybe Luke retrieved it from Han before he left the Alliance.

15. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    This is why I've always wondered where Kenner got the idea that Obi-Wan Kenobi's lightsaber was yellow.

16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I believe this is the last point in the movie we see Luke's lightsaber. It definitely it's on him in the Stormtrooper disguise, nor when he has on the Stormtrooper belt. Couldn't get a good look when he was back on the Falcon, or when he was in his poncho on Yavin.

I never really noticed how Luke's lightsaber didn't lead to much in the movie. While just about everything else makes for a self-contained movie, the lightsaber was something that promised further exploration. I think Empire did a great job of showcasing Luke using it creatively before giving him formal Jedi training.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I mean, it's supposed to be a precious keepsake - the only thing of his father that Luke has. It makes sense - to me at least - he'd rather keep it somewhere safe when he suddenly falls into an enemy station. He hasn't even had enough time to learn to use it properly, for cryin' out loud.

If you start swinging that thing around before you know how to handle it, you're liable to cut off one of your own limbs. So yeah, I don't see why he would take it with him.

Shadao likes this.
  18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I mean, I think it would have pretty obviously been useful. The real reason he doesn't have it is because there's no way to rationalize it fitting under the stortmtrooper armor. It's pushing plausibility as it is to pretend like he and Han could fit their regular outfits--boots included--under the armor.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well if he really wanted to bring it he could have given it to Chewbacca, who could have hidden it in his little bag, just like he put the dagger there in the last movie.

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Luke must have switched back to wearing his own belt with all his stuff attached at some point during the trip to Yavin IV. Like @SlashMan said you can't see it when he is on the trolley transport because heis wearing his poncho, but the fact that he had his poncho leads you to assume he had all the rest of his belongings with him there (lightsabre, droid caller and whatever else he had in the belt packs). I think the two square belt packs that Luke has on his TESB belt are meant to be the same ones from his ANH belt too.

21. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    It's quite humorous when you consider that all the marketing puts a big emphasis on Luke using the Lightsaber in glorious fashion, especially with Marvel Comics featuring Luke fighting Darth Vader.

[​IMG]

Yeah, if you didn't know about Star Wars at the time, you'll probably think that Luke Skywalker would inevitably fight and kill Darth Vader to avenge his father in the original film. Any lesser film would have done that but Lucas knows how to give a classic Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader conflict without resorting to the cliche sword fight you would expect from a fantasy film (in this case, the Trench Run).

22. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    It was something Lucas intended to save for the sequels. Frankly, I'm surprised the fourth-draft round of panicked script revisions meant to make SW 1977 work as a standalone film didn't include having Luke use the lightsaber in some thematically satisfiying way.

23. Darth Boycs

Darth Boycs Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2018
    No, he also uses it on the Falcon, during the training exercise.

Tosche_Station and BlackRanger like this.
  24. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    It seems Luke takes Hans advice in ANH and opts to have a “good blaster at his side” instead of the “ancient weapon”.

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    As someone pointed out, he left it on the Falcon because it wouldn't fit in the armor. Same reason Han left his blaster and Chewie left his bowcaster. See a pattern?

As for whether or not it would have helped in the garbage compactor I don't know. A magnetic seal might shield it from the lightsaber like it did from the blasters. The WotC RCR RPG said magnetic seals ricochet energy weapons IIRC.

I never heard that. The cantina made it pretty clear Ben had his own lightsaber. [face_dunno]