main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I watched RO again the other day. It's still getting better with each rewatch.

[​IMG]

2. Valheru_84

Valheru_84 Jedi Padawan

Jan 24, 2018
    Agreed EHT. My first viewing at the cinema I thought it was great but with a few obvious issues (uncanny valley with Tarkin and Leia, slightly contrived plot devices for getting the plans transmitted like "push this big convenient button to align tower (to where?), pull this big lever to transmit plans (to who? is it just broadcasting it to anyone out there? the whole harddrive or specific files?), many of the characters initially seemed a bit under developed) but once the brain had some time to process it all, going back for a second time was awesome and after the third time I absolutely love this movie despite its few flaws.

Once you have viewed it 2-3 times as well I feel the characters are actually much more solidly developed than you at first realise but you need that time after the first viewing for your imagination to fill in some of the gaps they only allude to, much like your own imagination was allowed to build up your own background picture for Han Solo (and why I'll never watch Solo ASWS as it simply will never work for me) due to the framework the movie builds for the character.

As to the question in the thread title - No, RO is not my new favourite as far as all Star Wars movies go, that position still belongs to TESB and as a whole I don't think anything will ever trump the OT for me. But outside of the OT, RO is definitely my next favourite SW film (as you can probably see from my sig below) and the only Disney era SW film I like to date.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The best bit is when Cassian and Jyn jump from the control station onto that storage tower thing to manually retrieve the Death Star plans. As the battle rages outside and overhead, you are really fed the idea that inside, two desperate rebels are doing everything they can to get them.

When I saw it for the first time, I knew, obviously, that they get the plans, but I wasn't prepared for how gritty or edge-of-the-seat it was going to be at the end.

Rogue One was a masterstroke in illustrating just what the stakes are, and how desperate the situation is.

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Yeah, I like that scene. When they're climbing that narrow area and Cassian falls, and the sound it makes when he hits the ground, followed by the view of him lying down there. That scene is one of the most memorable to me.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It was tough, as ROTJ has been at the top of my list since I was a nipper, but I've officially put RO at the top of my list now. A truly awesome film. IMO, it is the ultimate EU film.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. Rebel on Toprawa

Rebel on Toprawa Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2020
    Rogue One is the only Disney Star Wars movie that gets better with repeat viewings.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  9. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    RO is a great movie. So great, that we will prob. see some backlash in a few years. It's just human nature, like folk who now say ESB is overrated. IMO neither film is overrated.

10. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree, Christopher. It is a beautiful tragedy in some respects, at least in immediate terms. But in the grander scale, Jyn and Cassian and their crew gave hope to a Rebellion that eventually upended an Empire.

Yes, Jyn's father would have been proud. But that's not what's most important. She has plenty to be proud of within herself.

11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    the score is amazingly retro yet not a rehash. It's all really fresh.

12. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Indeed. The score is not in one's face. It's subtle and retro. I appreciate and enjoy it. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I listened to it. It is nice.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I now think RO is easily the best Star Wars film, and think its reputation will increase significantly with time, not the opposite. I don’t see a backlash in its future as it doesn’t have the divisive ingredients needed for that. It was just a really great film, visually, narratively and emotionally, while also being an absolute world-building juggernaut. Everything about it is good, and the main complaint - its characters not being fleshed out enough - is more due to a subtle style than an actual lack of character development (I think it’s the best and most subtle Star Wars film in that department too). So it has the ingredients needed for greater appreciation over time, due to its subtleties and multi-quadrant appeal, rather than the opposite.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's my fourth favorite SW film. Behind TLJ, ESB, and SW.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    It was my favorite of the new SW films, until TROS came out. Actually, I wonder if part of the reason I put TROS above it right now is just cos it's shiny and new. It's entirely possible that once the novelty of TROS wears off for me, Rogue One may actually emerge my favorite, underneath ROTS and ESB...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  17. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I just re-watched Rogue One tonight and I can safely say that it’s my favourite of the Disney-era Star Wars films. It’s one of the most subtle and understated of the Star Wars movies. For me, it’s a movie about real heroism and sacrifice. It’s a gritty movie that shoves the viewer face first into the nasty business of life under the Empire. The heroes are conflicted and not always sympathetic, but they win over the audience with their resolve and acts of self-sacrifice.

The cast is also fantastic. Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen, Ben Mendelsohn and Felicity Jones were real stand-outs.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  19. Director Krennic

Director Krennic Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2020
    It is, in my opinion, a brilliant film, and incidentally the film that made me decide to take up 'Star Wars' seriously as an adult. It's a tremendously grey story, both in literal staging and shooting and in morality, it deals with reality and has shades and degrees of subtlety that need to be watched several times at least.

I try not to have favourites, but the subtle class-indicators and infighting in the Empire - and the Rebellion - are brilliant. Taking Ben Mendelsohn, his accent is deliberately, I am sure, not quite up to the mark by British standards. Peter Cushing had the most remarkable, precise diction, which is quite uncannily replicated by Guy Henry, as well as a poise and understatement of manner and bearing suggestive of the born gentleman, ''sprezzatura'' if you like. Director Krennic aspires to such status, but it does not quite work. His tailoring is good, but not quite as sleekly perfect, he has outbreaks of rage, of vindictiveness. All I can say is ''not quite the done thing'', never quite ''one of us''. Living under that burden, with a brilliant mind (far more so, I think, than his superiors) is a constant gall and Mr. Mendelsohn is often evidently uncomfortable with how little he matches what he thinks he ought to be.

I am every inch the barrack-room lawyer, my specialities are linguistic, but I suspect you could analyse Rogue One from the Imperial point of view with the methods of analytical political-military history. It reminds me of the thesis of ''working towards the Fuehrer'', as I understand it, associated with Kershaw on Nazi Germany. It's a stereotypical and probably highly ropey analogy*, but I, as a complete and ill informed amateur, I believe I can recognise in both cases a military-industrial-scientific complex with varying degrees of committal, all working more or less independently on dozens of lines towards the favour of an essentially imprecise and hands-off autocrat (in the three OT films, I can think of no direct intervention by the Emperor) and devoting much energy to the Darwinian process of squabbling amongst themselves.

More extremely, the Rebel Alliance on Yavin, who I find reminiscent of a traditional British view of the last War, ''Foyle's War'' if you like, can be contrasted against Saw Gerrera's rag-tag band of species, passing their time gambling and idling like picaresque bandit-heroes. Yet both have blurred lines of morality - I think the Alliance more so than the Partisans. The Alliance combines assassination and stated high principle, which is so characteristic and so morally rich in its shades of grey.

* Just to start with, there is no central ideology, no dogma and no trace of a personality cult of the Emperor or Lord Vader. It's hardly totalitarian, and I cannot think of a political or social programme. Alas I have never read a history of a pure military dictatorship without a party programme.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Bor Mullet, Iron_lord, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well said. It's far and away the best Star Wars film, IMO. And the most nuanced.

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Very interesting.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  22. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I love R1 so much. Such a strong, gritty, not afraid to get dirty, movie. Excellent characters. Solid development. Chirrut is possibly my favorite character in Star Wars, and if not, he's in the team photo. But, it still does not top Empire. Maybe part of that is my own nostalgia towards the OT, so it becomes difficult to supplant Empire, but I just don't get that same sense of grandeur when I watch R1 as I do with Empire. R1 was #2 on my list until The Last Jedi came along. Now those two tend to flip-flop the #2 spot depending on my mood. R1 is the perfect anthology to A New Hope, and to the OT on the whole. I love the R1/ANH/ESB/ROTJ mini-marathon.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ve come to believe that Rogue One is quite a bit better than ESB, but that’s just me!

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just rewatched. Definitely still my new favorite.

My happy-ending-loving self normally would not like a movie where everyone dies, but Krennic got his whiny ass kicked, so all worth it.

And I’m a sucker for a good father-daughter story.

Plus every single character is a badass. Except Krennic.

K2SO is the best droid in Star Wars. Shares the spotlight with R2 but barely.

I’ll eventually get “The strongest hearts are made of kyber” as a tattoo.

25. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I put Rogue One at number two on my list of favourites, behind The Empire Strikes Back. But it's a close second.

The only thing I am not keen on is Saw Gerrera, but it's a minor foible.

Dagobahsystem, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.