main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    You are - there is negative ticket inflation between 2019 and 2020 adjustments.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    After being a member since neogaf days I got permabanned from resetera a few months ago for arguing that people who like anime are not pedophiles (yes, there was a thread where people were saying that if you like My Hero Academia then you're a pedo).

3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Pre-inflation, which is how most people in the world seem to discuss records (few talk Gone with the Wind when End Game or Avatar come up), TROS passed Jurassic Park last night and is now officially one of top 40 all time highest grossing films worldwide.
    [​IMG]

If the international returns can continue to outpace the domestic as they have it may have a shot to rise from 39th to 30th and knock out this film from the top 30 all time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes agreed.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    But they don't want to wait too long. The longer they wait, the more rumors were swirl about them not having a plan for post-ST at least when it comes to the live action films. TV series seems pretty square with Mando, Obi-Wan and Cassian Andor but live action films seem totally up in the air right now.

6. Smellmet

Smellmet Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2017
    But TLJ came out in 2017 - has there been 3 years of ticket price deflation or has it only occurred this last year and it was big enough to deliver this 20m decrease?

7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    There's been two years. 2017 -> 2018 saw inflation, but 2018 -> 2019 and 2019 -> 2020 both saw deflation.

8. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Good work.

9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The weekend estimate is in:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    (Disney) $5.2 Mill $501.7 Mill -37% 6 wks

10. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't see that happening. I would think 4.5M is more likely.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  11. SWRed7

SWRed7 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    It’ll be interesting to see the theatre drop for this coming week. It’s outplayed Jumanji through the last couple of days in per theatre average.

Anyways, $627,448 for Wednesday.

Domestic total at $495,816,498.

12. lurks_no_more

lurks_no_more Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2019
    I’ve always used NATO when looking at the year after year average ticket price. NATO is the National Association of Theater Owners. I know average ticket price is not the same thing when it comes to inflation, but, there are times I like getting a rough idea as to how many tickets a movie sold rather than its box office dollar amount...
    https://www.natoonline.org/data/ticket-price/

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm thinking more for the weekend between $3.5 to maybe $4.1 million and that the latter being a stretch. For Thursday, its going to be around $585,000 to $630,000.
    Do they still do those dollar discount movie theaters? Or are those a thing of the past?

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The way they may be looking at it is that the weekend will be slightly higher than the M-Th. That's how it usually works the weekend after MLK weekend. It will probably make around $4.4 million M-Th so around $5.0-$5.2 sounds pretty accurate actually for the weekend.

The movie might push toward $515 million domestic as its overall haul. I wonder if all the leaked concept art may actually help the film slightly this week.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi $603,618,885

Ok so The Last Jedi adjusted for inflation is bizarrely less than its $620 mill it took domestically ,

and now with TROS looking at $515 to $520 mill domestic then this represents 83% to 85% of TLJ gross ,

Now with the huge backlash TLJ took and other circumstances ( saturation ect ) I would say 85% is not to bad because when the other trilogies had an upswing to the third movie they weren't battling the same backlash and saturation ( AOTC did not have a petition to remake it ).

[face_thinking]

lawton likes this.
  16. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    AOTC was just not as big of a fall from TPM. ROTS, of course, had the hook of Darth Vader on the big screen for the first time in 20+ years. And ROTJ had the hook of finding out whether Darth Vader really was Luke's father and riding the wave of concluding the story a lot of pop culture revolved around.

TLJ did a lot of damage for sure and evaporated the stakes for TROS. Palpatine was a Hail Mary at the end, but it didn't really work.

17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    If Disney/Lucasfilm are spending some time ruminating over how they can make the next film/films 'better' than the ST, then I think some time to reflect is a good and necessary thing. If they haven't learnt anything, then any delay is academic.

18. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Others would say that THE LAST JEDI was too good of a movie compared to very much flawed THE FORCE AWAKENS and, specially, THE RISE OF SKYWALKER.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Whilst I think TLJ is the technically better film of the sequels, I do believe it would be true to say that it does diminish the stakes for TROS. If you think of where TESB and AOTC lead into the 3rd films of their respective trilogies, they leave much more anticipation for whats' to come. TLJ kind of resolves itself by the end of the film and even goes as far as perhaps alluding to a 'New Hope' with broom boy. It almost plays like the 3rd film in a trilogy.

20. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    TLJ's problem is that as a standalone movie, it would be excellent, but as the middle episode of a trilogy, it kills most of what the third movie could use to build from the first movie instead of expanding and building more from the first movie, and as a part of the timeless Star Wars saga, it spends most of its time demolishing its continuity for the sake of great visuals and current-day political messaging.

TLJ is a great movie. SW EP. VIII: TLJ is a terrible movie.

MaciekRS and chris hayes like this.
  21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I really don't understand why people say VIII kills what has been built. You've got two great characters, Kylo and Rey, who are trying to redeem/corrupt each other, why the hell can't that be the conflict? Why do you need some outside villain to be the worse guy to just repeat ROTJ? Kylo is a great character, make him earn redemption through his actions.

22. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I do wonder what happens after TLJ if they didn't bring back Palpatine in the flesh. My guess is Ep 9 probably does about 50 million less domestically than it has unless they hit a homerun with a good movie where word of mouth generated a lot of extra traffic. That evil laughing from Palpatine in the trailers probably did help out in reality.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Way less 3D screenings now.

24. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Exactly, everything had been set up: Ren had become the true villain and Rey was trying to bring him back to the light. Why bringing back Palpatine for the last 3rd???
    Because JJ did not want to upset (part of) the fanbase, so he didn't dare to continue what had already been set up in Episode VIII. Granpa Pal, Leia Jedi Teacher, endless list of cameos, etc. All terrible ideas to close the saga.

25. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I wasn't even commenting on good/bad in terms of the movie. It's that the stakes set up in TFA were evaporated by TLJ, giving people no reason to come back for the third movie. So much of the setup for the ST was more or less done by the end of TLJ (except how the Resistance would beat the First Order), so there was no hook for Movie #3. That's a problem for box office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.