main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga [Mod's Time Trial Challenge] Too Many Cats (Cassian, Jyn, OC's) Vignette 8.22.19

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, Aug 22, 2019.

1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Title: Too Many Cats

Summary: Cassian comes home to a few surprises.

Timeframe: post-RotJ

Disclaimer: George Lucas created Star Wars. Star Wars, LucasFilm Ltd. and all its content are currently owned and operated by the Walt Disney Company.

Written for the Mod's Time Trial challenge. 8 prompts, 72 hours.

Your random element is: Claws
    Your required dialogue is: "I can has cheeseburger?"
    Your forecast is: Raining Cats
    Your random quote is: “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” – Terry Pratchett
    Your TV Trope is: Cats are Snarkers
    Your Reaction Gif is: (https://media.giphy.com/media/mlvseq9yvZhba/giphy.gif)
    [​IMG]
    Your artwork is: Cats on Rock - Xu Beihong
    [​IMG]

Your picture prompt is:
    [​IMG]
    (Original Link: https://pixabay.com/photos/wool-cat-s-cradle-knit-hand-labor-288578/)

Kor Vella, Corellia; it was good to be home. Cassian tossed his jacket off and was about to call for his wife when he heard it. A soft sound. It came from the corner of the room. He peaked around the chair and saw it.

A black-furred, golden-eyes…feline.

“Jyn!” he screeched.

Jyn burst into the room, afraid her husband was injured. “What is it?”

Cassian nodded, hands on his hips. “Exactly. What is…that? And what is it doing here?”

Jyn smiled and shrugged. “Kayva saw it wandering the streets and she…had to have it. So, we brought it home.”

“I hate cats,” he muttered. “It’s going to scratch the furniture.”

“No, it isn’t,” Jyn rebutted. “It doesn’t have any claws. It’s a wonder the poor thing survived outside all this time. It’s previous owners, I’d like to know who they were had it declawed.”

Cassian began pacing. “It’s going to pee all over everything.”

Jyn laughed. “No, honey, it isn’t. We bought it a litter box. It knows exactly where to pee.”

He threw his hands up. “Well, then it’s going to…to…see, looks what it’s doing. It’ll have that all over the room within minutes.”

Jyn looked over and saw that their new family member was lightly playing with a rolled-up ball of colorful yarn.

She nodded. “Okay, you got me there. We may have yarn everywhere.”

He crashed down on the couch and was about to speak again when he heard it. A louder sound then before. But just as feline sounding. He looked down at his feet and saw a larger black car with the same golden eyes as the smaller one.

“What is this!?” he demanded.

Jyn smiled guiltily. “It’s the…mama cat. We couldn’t just ignore the mama cat and only bring home the babies.”

“Babies, as in more than one?” he asked afraid, eyes darting around the room.

It was then that he noticed four more young cats in his dwelling. Four more. He stood abruptly and leveled his wife with a glare.

“Where is Kayva?” he wanted to know.

Jyn sighed. “She’s in her room. She’s…we bought art supplies today and she was going in there to paint a picture of her new cats.”

Cassian stalked down the hallway towards his daughters’ room. He pushed the door open and saw her sketching with chalk, not painting, a beautiful scene of two cats sitting together on a rock, mountains climbing skyward behind them.

He was about to take another step into the room when he heard it. Again. Another cat. A rather large male cat.

“Kayva,” he immediately called out to his daughter. “What is the meaning of this?”

The girl turned around, and staring back at him with her mother’s eyes, he knew he could never be angry at her; at either of them.

“We couldn’t leave them, Papa,” she moaned. “We just couldn’t.”

Cassian was about to sit down on her bed when she yelled at him to be careful and watch where he sat. When he looked down at her blankets, he knew why.

More cats. Three more to be exact. A mama and two more babies.

His eyes traveled to the window and saw the rain beginning to fall. He shook his head and once again muttered to himself as he left the room without saying anything else to his daughter.

“It’s raining water outside and raining cats on the inside.”

Supper was finished and Cassian headed for his favorite chair in front of the roaring fire he’d built before they sat down to eat. He reached the chair and came to an abrupt halt when he saw one of the cats sitting in his chair. His favorite chair. His favorite chair.

“Jyn!” he yelled, not knowing his wife was right behind him.

“Maybe you could sit somewhere else tonight,” she suggested.

He whirled around. “Give up my chair for…for…for a cat?”

She pointed to the chair. “It doesn’t look like he’s going to move for you.”

Cassian peaked at that cat who simply sat there, the most bored, uninterested look on its face he’d ever seen on a creature.

“You know, someone once said that in ancient times, cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this. Not by the looks of him.”

Cassian did end up sitting in a different chair that night. He and Jyn went to bed long after Kayva had tired out.

Snuggled together and completely unaware of what was going on in their home as they slept; cats ran amuck.

Morning came and they awoke to a house covered in yarn and a crying little girl who’s sketch had paw prints all over it.

Cassian again found a cat in his chair staring up at him without a care fin the world. The cat lazily put its head down on it’s front paws and closed its eyes. Cassian reached down and picked the cat up and set it on the floor, but before he could sit down, the cat was right back in his chair.

Cassian turned and headed for the kitchen, his small son now on his heels. Kuyver climbed up to the table and frowned when he saw a cat dish.

“I hate cats,” he grumbled.

Cassian glanced at the boy. “Me too, Son, me too.”

Jyn walked in then and asked what everyone wanted for breakfast.

“Eggs,” Kayva said.

“Pancakes,” came Cassia’s reply.

“Catburger,” was Kuyver’s answer.

Kayva cried out, tears immediately forming. “No!”

Kuyver blushed and quickly changed his answer. “I can has cheeseburger?”

Cassian and Jyn both laughed. He worked at calming their daughter while Jyn enlisted Kuyver’s help in making breakfast for the family of four humans and…too many cats.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Kahara, gizkaspice, brodiew and 2 others like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] [face_rofl] Yeah, Cassian is of the opinion that one cat is one too many! :eek: =D= Hilarious family moments! Love them having such endearing younglings. :)

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This was cute, Jen. Jyn? Jen. Okay. ;)

We have three cats and though not many toys, or balls yarn, there is plenty of moving cats from chairs or simply allow ourselves to be their resting place. Cassian would certainly have an adjustment period to one, much less a whole litter. :mad:-------> [face_love]

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, but Cassian, dear, there can never be such thing as too many cats! :D His consternation at the whole situation is so cute in a "Trouble with Tribbles" sort of way, and Jyn and Kayva's enthusiasm makes a sweet foil to it—they're so cute that you can't just leave them, after all! I could totally see Jyn and Cassian being just this way in a domestic situation, and the younglings you've given them are very sweet (nice names, too: Kayva and Kuyver have that "kyber" sound...). And wow, you really worked in every single one of those cat prompts, from Kayva's painting to the ball of yarn to the blasé glare of the cat in the chair to Kuyver's hasty "can has cheeseburger" retraction! Nice job, and fun stuff—thanks so much for sharing! =D=

gizkaspice and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh man! Without a doubt, you had one of the most . . . unique set of prompts in the entire challenge. I'm sorry, but there was much giggling when we brainstormed this set, you have to know. We're very mature that way. :p . But you tackled this set like a champ and came up with a very funny, and most importantly very endearing, slice of family life that I'm totally going to close my eyes and pretend happened instead. [face_love] =D=

In particular . . .

Jyn still has her edge - and I can't at all blame her here! [face_waiting] Just as I can't quite begrudge Cassian his response either. I think Finds perdectly summed this up as a 'Trouble With Tribbles' predicament. A little bit of cute and fluffy goes a loooooong way . . . 8-} [face_tee_hee]

[face_rofl] A great punchline and a fantastic way to use your picture prompt!

Because of course not!

[face_rofl]!!!

If that wasn't an inspired way to work in your required line of dialogue then I don't know what would be. Perfect! [face_rofl] [face_love]

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us, and for participating in the challenge. =D=

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh man, I am SO HAPPY someone was "lucky" enough to pick our very evil set of prompts! And you incorporated them so well into such a cute story. I loved it so much!

AU? Cassian/Jyn? Cats! I love it!
    It's the cat's chair now! Poor Cassian.
    BAHAHA! This is so mean, but I also love this kid for his comment!

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Had to read this again for the "2020 Reading Challenge" item 16 - a title that catches your attention, because [face_rofl] :D ... Besides the awesome Cassian/Jyn feels.

8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    HOW.........DID........I......MISS.......THIS..??!!!?.[face_laugh][face_laugh]

What a purrrfect challenge prompt (pun included ;)). You know the suggestions people make in the "2020 Reading Challenge" works when you find gems like this you otherwise might miss!

And I agree with @Findswoman here that there can absolutely never be enough cats! Poor Cassian--all this cat stuff everywhere. And yes, Cassian, you HAVE to give up your chair for a cat--this is like, the 1st law of the Universe, am I right?

These cats! Always having a habit of popping up when you least expect it! I also love Kuyver's breakfast reaction to "I can has cheeseburger?" Brilliant. :D

This is hilarious and you did a great job at this challenge! =D=