main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge WIPuary! (Finish WIPs, get colors!)—IT’S A WRAP! Thanks to all who took part!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , Jan 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    754 more words on Knightfall (and I finished the chapter![face_dancing] And it's posted). Puts my total word count at: 2250. More than a third of the way to my goal.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Eugh, I had the worst flu ever wallop me and I was out of commission for the past week - right when I had time off and was planning to be productive, of course! :( :oops: But I'm finally feeling like a human being again today, and I'm still determined to chip away at as much of my goal as I possibly can. To that end, I was able to sit down and write a few hundred words on This Soft Season Will Come this morning, bringing me up to 6,754 words total for my wordcount goal. Slowly but surely, I'm getting there! :D

And! I was able to review Knightfall, by JediMaster_Jen! It's so wonderful to see an update on a long dormant WIP! And congratulations to @Raissa Baiard too for finishing Shadow of a Doubt, too!! That is definitely a feat worth celebrating. [face_dancing] =D=

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I wrote 1,443 more words for Cold Harvest, which brings my total to 5607, meaning I have met and exceeded my word count goal of 5000[face_party]

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    All righty doo! Great to see so much progress happening, and I think the index should be up to date now; if anything is missing, do not hesitate to holler. :)

As for me, I’m slowly regaining a groove on “Beached.” It’s one of those short stories that is taking longer than it should to finish, just because life has been busy and darthy and highly fragmented lately. But this week should be a bit calmer than last, so I’m hoping I still have a chance of finishing. Fingers crossed!

6. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
  7. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    1383 more words written tonight! Brings my total to 3633. [face_dancing][face_dancing]

8. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    313 words (on "Water Flowing Underground") for a total of 3098 words.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Updated, updated, and updated! Great work, y'all! =D=

So now that we're in our final week, a question: is there interest in doing this again some other month, or even as a semi-recurring thing? And if so, is that something with which our good mods would be OK? I know word races and mod-challenges are probably being organized, too, and I wouldn't want to step on those. But I did want at least to put the possibility out there. Would love to hear people's thoughts. :)

10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'd be happy to do it again:)

Thanks for running this event, @Findswoman.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree!!!! I think as a quarterly thing it would be fantastic! [face_batting]

12. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Okay, so I’ve written 764 words on the next chapter of “Wolf Brother” and...I hate it. I’ve tried the beginning two different ways and neither really works for me. They feel flat and redundant. Is anyone else having this problem with their WIPs?

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @Raissa Baiard -- wow! That sounds incredibly frustrating!

Ideas... Write the tricky passages as if you were reading them as someone else's fic--what would you like to see, hear/ have expressed?

Read through them as if you were beta-reading another author's fic. what kind of suggestions would you give them to make the words come off the page?

Sometimes when I'm stuck writing something from one character's point of view, I switch it up and write it from another character's. [face_thinking]

(Hope one of those helps) [face_batting]

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Raissa Baiard I kind of had that issue with one of my WIPs for this challenge (Cold Harvest, to be specific). I kept trying to write a particular scene that I had envisioned having since the start of the story. Eventually, I realized that the scene wasn't fitting because it wasn't necessary for the story, so I decided to move the story beyond that scene, and to include the details that would have come to light in that scene in ways more sprinkled throughout the story. Sometimes I've come to the conclusion that if it isn't "natural" for me to write the scene, it's because I should be writing a different scene to move the story forward in a different way. Sometimes my stories outgrow my initial ideas like a plant that needs to be repotted. Hopefully that helps a bit! Just don't get discouraged. The inspiration will come when the persistence is there:)

16. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    @Findswoman, I would love to write for this challenge again! :) It's really gotten me inspired to write more and hopefully continue after the challenge is through.

@Raissa Baiard , not exactly that problem but I have been doing a bit of 200 words forward and 300 words back at various points in the month! (Not sure if that was the exact count, but it sure felt like my need to revise was taking a chunk out of things.) Would it help if you wrote kind of the next scene in the sequence and then come back to it? I can see that not working for some things, but you never know.

Signed,
    She who re-read her own WIP so far today and realized that the fact that something kind of significant was NEVER EXPLAINED. :oops:

17. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    I'd love to do it again, @Findswoman..

Yes! Two have gone well, but my third one is this exactly. I've managed a few hundred words in each sitting and have erased them all. Just not happy with the pacing, the characters--everything. :mad: I feel your pain. It's extremely frustrating.

18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Not much I can add to the great advice people have given except to keep sending good productivity vibes! @};- I had a long string of burnout and non-WIP-productivity this month too; in my case it was brought on by RL pileup, and just clearing some mental (and actual) time and space helped a great deal...

...and as a result I've now finally finished my Rogue One "beach"-prompt story, which has a new title:

Gem of My Beaches

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  20. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, I’ve finally started work on “Dinner with the Trilashas,” and it looks like I have 446 words on it. No idea if I’ll make my proposed 1000 in the next two days (yoicks, how did we get to having only two days left of Wipuary? :eek: ); I’d been hoping to make 500 by the end of today, but I’m just too tired and need to go to bed. Guess I’ll see how tomorrow goes—but at least it sure does feel good to be writing again! :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  22. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    364 more words written tonight. Nowhere near what I had hoped. :( Brings me to a total of 3997. Hoping tomorrow is way more productive. I definitely want to reach my 6000 total goal.

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
  24. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    873 more words on "Water Flowing Underground" for a total of 3971. So close to 4000 words--and yet so far away.

I don't see how I can make it to my 6000 word goal in the next two days--especially since on Fridays, I usually write not one word--but I have to try. On Sunday, I will be here (yes: it's a rustic cabin that doesn't have electricity and does have an outhouse, and the running water is in the creek, because that is how I roll). If that's my reward, it has to be earned.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  25. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    655 for USJS which means I just complete my total and just in time too!

Phew!

Two stories to review tomorrow and I actually managed to make the deadline.

Relief.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020