main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Home Video Release (Digital, Blu-ray, DVD, 4K UHD)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Feb 19, 2020.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It was great! Seeing the whole story play out over the nine films is really a wonderful experience. For me they flow really well together. It may have been a last minute change but having Palpatine return for TROS makes it one cohesive story from start to finish.

It shows how democracy can be perverted into tyranny and with the Sequel Trilogy in place how even after victory you can’t become complacent. Evil can always rise again. That’s as important a message for the times we live in as the OT was for its generation. Hux is the perfect representation of this. He’s basically the equivalent of the young neo-Nazi who spews hate on the internet. He idolizes the past because it makes him feel superior but in reality he’s nothing more than bully. He isn’t Tarkin nor was he ever meant to be IMO. He’s a fool and it’s good that the films don’t take him seriously.

It’s also the story of a powerful family of Force users who are bound together by a prophecy of balance in the Force. The prophecy is best summed up by Snoke in TLJ. Darkness rises and light to meet it. The Sith and Palpatine are the darkness and the Skywalkers are the light. Their lives and fates are intrinsically entwined.

For a thousand years the Sith have unnaturally extended their lives and accumulated power by latching their spirits onto their apprentices. It’s this that has started to unbalance the Force. Palpatine is the culmination of all the Sith and the most powerful being in the universe. Truly he is the devil of the GFFA. Anakin is created as a counterweight to this darkness. Darkness rises and light to meet it.

This Chosen One then becomes the endgame for Palpatine and the Sith. If he can be turned and the Sith can eventually become one with him then they’ll be truly unstoppable. It’s why he expends so much effort in converting Anakin and subsequently Luke and Ben. Because this family literally has the ability to influence the Force on a cosmic level. The Sith would be equivalent of gods.

When Anakin is redeemed by Luke his spirit becomes pure again and this denies the Sith the chance to pass into him. Instead they’re forced into a deficient clone body that can’t contain their vast power. While Palpatine remains in this weakened state the Force is balanced. Until Ben’s fall starts the whole thing over again. When Ben himself is redeemed he’s forced to kill him instead and try to convert Rey to the dark side.

With the last of the Skywalkers seemingly killed and Palpatine back at full power he thinks he’s won. How can Rey hope to defeat him when he has the power of all the Sith within him? Unbeknownst to him the Jedi have also found a path to immortality and in the end the combined powers of the light overwhelm the combined powers of the dark and Palpatine is destroyed for good. The last Skywalker then gives up his life to save Rey. No one left to unbalance the Force. The prophecy is finally fulfilled. The Skywalker Saga comes to an end as the galaxy rises up against tyranny! A stark contrast to when they cheered Palpatine’s ascension!

2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    TROS I think killed it for me. I didn't buy solo but I did see that one in theaters. Rise of Skywalker imo is just a turd of a film imo.

Imo Last Jedi ends the saga better, if one is to see the sequel trilogy as a continuation of George's story, that is.

indydefense and cwustudent like this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No. This thread is for discussion of the TROS home release, and this post is just off-topic bashing. Any more of that in here will lead to bans.

Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  4. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    Anyway ...
    Is there a release date for the DVD that anyone's aware of? I've got it marked on Amazon, but it doesn't come with a date there.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    In the US, it's March 31st... some other markets have other dates that can be found online if needed.

Jedi_Prophet77 likes this.
  6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Thank you for the recap. I hope to have a marathon of my own soon. My I'll start with the ST tonight. I'm glad to hear Palaptine's return plays well when viewed as a 9 movie Saga.

7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Now that's a saga!

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

I'm getting this on the 1st of April - can't wait.............

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  10. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    We have come a long way since DiSnEy ArE iGnOrInG tHe PrEqUaLs!

11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I decided to go the route of ordering online so I don't have to leave my house. I put a preorder on the Target Exclusive Blu-ray being delivered to my house!
    [​IMG]

indydefense, DarthHass and KyleKartan like this.
  12. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    Thanks for the great summary! I agree with your post, esp the parts above. Thanks for putting it into words.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  13. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
  14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Think they were only going for live action. The goal was probably to highlight the movies rather then jump from live to animated

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yup, and putting "Ahsoka" in the subtitles would just confuse "the regs" (as in, people who aren't super fans who know the names of all the Jedi from animation). Unless of course, they name Kanan in the subtitles, in which case it'd be weird to refer to Ahsoka as "female Jedi 4".

indydefense likes this.
  16. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    there should be a “love” button for posts like this. Like it or love it. Those should be the only choices we have.

17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    OMG This is poetic I agree with every word of what you said! what you wrote here is beautiful!:D

and I don't have my episode 9 Blu-ray yet this is purely based on how I feel about the films!

I just got a confirmation that Target shipped my Episode 9 Blu-ray yesterday! it started its journey with UPS in Laurel Maryland then Savage Maryland then 7AM today Somewhere in South Carolina now its in transit! I live in Punta Gorda Florida they claim its getting here April 1 but I think it gets here sooner then that may be tomorrow or Sunday or if UPS doesn't work Sunday may be Monday? does anyone know if UPS ships on Sunday?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    As people have been doing "unboxing" videos of the 4K set, has there been anything in the way of reviews? I was particularly thinking of the 4K transfers of the OT and the PT. Anything out there?

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I bought TROS twice, once for a delivery for the 4k disc from Best Buy but then I didn't want to wait a week (or longer) so I bought it digitally as well!

I watched the scene with subs on, I did notice Ahsoka "female Jedi 4" but don't feel too bad because Old Ben Kenobi's "Rey" got "Male Jedi #4" as well.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    indydefense likes this.
  20. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Surprised there isn't more chatter in this thread over the home release of ROS, I was shocked to find out that there are no deleted scenes for this release, which is something I love when it comes to purchasing movies on disc. I went with the standard BR, and honestly, I'm not thrilled with the bonus features. I did love watching the movie at home though, and I'm appreciating this final chapter even more.

indydefense likes this.
  21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    People are so busy watching they don't have time to write in.

lovethedarkside likes this.
  22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm shocked by the poor quality of the standard bluray. It looks like an upconverted DVD or something. The colors are all wrong. Many scenes are much too dark. Some parts are drenched in excessive blue. The sky on Pasaana looks green. I was expecting something like TLJ, which was fine.

The digital looked much better. I'd actually return this thing if I could, but right now the stores have suspended returns.

24. kylokrennic

kylokrennic Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2020
    Upconverted DVD may be going a bit far, judging by the quality of the 2K Blu-ray stills at blu-ray.com:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star...Rise-of-Skywalker-Blu-ray/255606/#Screenshots

This is what they say about the picture quality in the review itself:

The stills look very solid and impressive to me. Though I must stress I don't own anything on the Blu-ray format. But I've perused my share of stills on that same site, for various releases, and I would say the visual presentation of TROS holds up.

If you're seeing an excess of green in some scenes, there may be a calibration issue. Alternatively, it's possible they graded the 2K Blu-ray transfer a bit differently. Trailers are rarely final, but if you watch the teaser trailer for TROS released in April 2019 and compare to the available stills in that review, it does seem they shifted the colours.

The colour shifting is very noticeable in the opening scene with Kylo in the forest. On HD uploads I've watched of that scene on YouTube, there's an orange tint not present in the trailer version. The shot of Rey regarding the ruins of the Death Star on Kef Bir has well-delineated brown-yellow tones for the grass, and good, natural flesh tones in the trailer, but yeah, in the Blu-ray still on blu-ray.com, that same shot has a strong bleach-blue colour cast over it. On the other hand, while the shot of Rey slowing her breathing down as she awaits Kylo in the desert of Pasaana is also more balanced/natural in the trailer, there isn't such a big difference to my eyes, between the two versions. Even if the Blu-ray still shows some shifting toward blue/green. In fact, I would say the flesh tones look better in the Blu-ray still in that example -- they're a bit too pink/red and oversaturated in the trailer.

I don't know what release version this four-minute recap is based on, but in my opinion, it looks gorgeous:

I wouldn't have a problem watching the film like that. Even though, at 0:55, the shot of Kylo talking to Rey inside his ship looks like it has that green-cast problem you seem to be talking about. But I absolutely love the way it looks. Again, if you compare it to the still on the blu-ray.com link, these two versions seem to line up perfectly. The Kef Bir scenes in that video also line up with the Kef Bir shot in the link/review. It really doesn't look bad to me at all in motion. Greens and blues are very dominant in the film. It doesn't surprise me that they may have tweaked the film and enhanced the presence of these tones in certain scenes since the teaser trailer came out.

As for your other complaint:

Many scenes take place in dark situations in TROS. But this is far, far worse in TLJ, in my opinion. As much admiration as I have for the Rian Johnson film, my monitor really struggles in the dark scenes on the island. I wonder how TROS will hold up, but based on the clips I've been able to watch since my full viewing in the cinema, it is lit in a more appropriate manner. These are more challenging films with their intense environments and moody palettes, but that doesn't need to be a bad thing. Indeed, TROS is an explosion of colour, especially on Ajan Kloss and the scenes on Pasaana. It looks -- to me -- like it's been given a good presentation on Blu-ray.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Any word, anywhere, on the 4K versions of the OT and the PT? Can't find anything. I thought people had their hands on the big box-set already?