main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Sequel Trilogy Character Screen Time

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Shakez, Jul 10, 2016.

1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    ninewheels0 has updated his TLJ screen time counts, probably like he updated his count after TFA and RO came out on home video instead of relying on a bootleg to put the numbers out early. He had wrote previously that the previous TLJ numbers were preliminary.

[​IMG]
    (click link to enlarge; numbers are minutes)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So after Episode IX, Rey will bypass Han and Leia, and become 4th place after Vader, Luke and Obi Wan.

Not bad, when you consider those top three had two trilogies of screen time, as opposed to just one like her.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    The Solo movie (and an Obi-Wan movie for Obi-Wan if it happens) will significantly increase Han's overall movie screen time, but strictly about the episodes, yes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    cerealbox likes this.
  4. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I want R2D2, BB8 and C3PO to launch the long planned takeover of the galaxy to ensure galactic peace in Episode IX, RETURN OF THE DROIDS.

I thought R2's scenes with Luke, so touching. I agree, R2 needs much more screen time. I think Lucas and Mark have both said that he saves more lives than anyone in the entire galaxy.

I like R2, BB8 and you have to have C3PO to translate and make his witty remarks also!

5. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    ninewheels has updated the statistics now including the Solo: A Star Wars Story movie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    So Luke needs 7.5 minutes to jump Han and Rey needs 40.25 minutes to jump Obi-Wan. I think both of those will be very close.

7. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    40.75 minutes is the average and the median is 36.75 minutes for a SW screen time lead across the 10 movies based on ninewheels0's data, so it's possible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Hmmmm, if you had told me back in 2015 that BB-8 would still be trailing Jar Jar after two ST films I wouldn't have believed it.

9. MagnarTheGreat

Jul 21, 2016
    ninewheels has updated the screen time statistics, now including the Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker using the home video edition.

[​IMG]

Character: TFA, TLJ, TROS, Trilogy (by % of total movie runtime)
    Rey: 31%, 20%, 39%, 30%
    Finn: 23%, 12%, 17%, 17%
    Kylo Ren: 14%, 10%, 14%, 13%
    Poe: 6%, 8%, 18%, 11%

10. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I look forward to a ninewheels breakdown that includes Rise of Skywalker.

That should be coming soon, right?

Hopefully with saga totals as well as "all-movie" totals.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Awushi Awere likes this.
  11. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Crazy it feels like Kylo/ Ben was in the ST more then he was. Especially in TLJ.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’ll say this for Kylo; his screentime was always treated as highly important for him and his development/the audiences perception of him. Since he was also the only “protagonist” character on the villainous side, that also meant that his screen-time among the FO was always about him in one way or another.

In contrast, I’d say the heroes all end up with at least a few scenes where they’re there more for someone else than for themselves - Finn is an audience member for Rey to say “No one knows me!” at one point, Poe began as strictly a minor supporting character, and even Rey’s scenes with Luke were more about her being an aundeice member for him than him helping her story.

Finn also kind of got demoted as time went on, while Poe’s rise had a finite expansion that kind of meant both of their screen times contrasted in terms of “plot-importance density” with Kylo.

Now, I personally find that a to be a bunch of bull and Kylo/Ben and inherently inferior character to Finn and an outright liability to Rey in their scenes together, since I think almost any scene they share after TFA ultimately becomes more about him than her.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Def Trooper and dogprivilege like this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Call me crazy, but I actually was okay with R2 not having as big of a role in the ST. He actually was featured a lot in the PT (even moreso if you include TCW), so it evens out in my eyes. 3PO is the one I hoped to see more of, cos in both the PT and OT he was just kind of...there. He didn't really have a role of any importance in the OT, other than ROTJ-even in ANH R2 technically had a bigger role really. IMO the attention he got in TROS helped make up for his general lack of importance across the saga.

14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Less filler scenes with him.

As opposed to the other characters.

I’m actually not surprised Poe got the 2nd most screen time in TTOS.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    R2-D2 :

ST = 4m and 15s

OT = 36m and 30s

PT = 17m and 30s

I know R2-D2 had his time in the OT and PT but was completely wasted in the ST ? why the heck was that ? surely a few more min in TROS would have been nice for a bit of a nod to one of the great Star Wars character's.....

16. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    why the heck was that? cause he was replaced by BB8.

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    So ? all the other OT characters had a good send off - R2 had less time than most fans would have liked - I wanted a little more that's all......

18. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Yes, he did we will for a character who was originally intended to have five minutes of screen time before being killed off.

19. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Damn that is depressing lol. Seriously I love R2 and well I'm not surprised.

chris hayes likes this.