main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*~ 2019 Favorites of FanFic Social and Questions Thread ~*~ We're back!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 30, 2020.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We base it on 'board time' which is PST because it would be too hard to judge when something was posted in that authors time. It was Dec 31st 2018 based on board time. :(
    So yes, you can submit it for the started late in 2018 category if you would like and submit something else for that during the make up.

2. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Thanks @Findswoman for asking that and @mavjade for answering! I was wondering about that story's posting time too.

3. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    What? Well, just from curiosoity - did I overlook anything about that when I posted? I know I was thinking time zones before I wrote and posted the first one but assumed that it had to be in local time zone, else it would be a bit complicated to keep track on for the authors. I was at home that new year's eve and spent the evening trying to make up some of the plot in my head before actually writing it down after midnight while waiting for my mother who actually went to a new year's party with her friends. [face_tee_hee]

It doesn't really matter now of course. What has been done, has been done.

AzureAngel2, Kahara, pronker and 2 others like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for the clarification, Mav. I accidentally went and started to edit my post with the new entry, but I’ll wait till the makeup period instead, and meanwhile I’ll put Cara’s DDC up for the Dec. 2018 category. Sorry about the mixup!

5. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    The challenge itself may be based on your timezone (and many are) because however the host wants to set it is fine. But for purposes of this Fest (or any fanfic wide awards type thing) we have to have consistent and easy to verify rules. We can't know everyone's timezone, nor take the time to find it out. But because stories posted very late in the year tend to be overlooked, we added a posted in November or December the previous year category to help with that.

AzureAngel2, CaraJinn, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    @Kahara Thanks so much for posting your enjoyment of a fluff story and ac/ad story in the Penguins 'verse!

7. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Lame question alert: Where is the stickied post with last year's stories?

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It was unstickied. You can still find it here or using the index prefix.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and pronker like this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So @Briannakin, yes, your latest goofy GIF is indeed very appreciated... but you may now have to tell us which of those three goofy people represents which mod. :D ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    SQUEEEE!!11!!! *swirls pashmina, pirouettes* This whole thing is such darn fun! I'm so pleased you got a kick out of the title, @Kahara.[face_alien] All these fandom goodies ... *happy sigh*

11. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks @AzureAngel2, @Kahara, @divapilot for selling your souls to the mighty cat overlords nominating a particular story about a First Order ginger kitty [:D]:) Extremely honored!

12. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    A couple of questions:

Can we nominate a single story in a collection thread, and if so does just the canonicity of that specific story count or do we have to take into account the thread as a whole?

Also, is Rebels still New Canon?

Thanks!

13. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    We have no answer yet on this topic and await a thoughtful, cogent reply.[face_coffee]

Alsoalso, @Kahara thanks for the NSWFF reviewer nod - it's always a treat to trod these boards, read and take notes on fave bits:amidala:

14. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    @pronker -- In the meantime, I suggest we all tag ourselves. I am Making Flappy Bird Arm Motions.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  15. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ha! And to think I see a bit of myself in Making Flappy Bird Arm Motions. :p [face_mischief]

Yes! You can most certainly nominate a single story out of a thread, we have lots of precedence for that. And if the canonicity of the single story is right, that's all that matters.

And Rebels is definitely part of New Canon! :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Excellent idea to tag ourselves! Fanfics generally involve sitting, although one may stand while reading on one's phone on the subway, recline in bed or on the couch while thinking of how to respond to the week's categories, etc., so let's change that up. I challenge myself et al. to get physical: roll the shoulders, twitch the toes, do isometrics with the fingers, and exercise the body part that most needs it, the glutes. Yes! On count of three, clench those glutes! All together now!

One two three CLENCH!

and relax and

CLENCH!

and relax and

CLENCH! Harder! You can do it! Let's go, peeps!!

Let me hear your body talk. Let's get physical, physical I wanna get physical Let's get into physical Let me hear your body talk, your body talk ...

*goes outdoors to do yardwork, considering name for this exercise that is TOS compliant*

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh I'm certainly the one on the left doing kicks waving their fingers at the forehead. In fact, how'd they get the video of me in that gif??!

AzureAngel2, Kahara, pronker and 2 others like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oi. I forgot to reply to @Findswoman 's very important question. I'm Jeffery Tambor because I'm just a grumpy old man at heart.

19. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Just sent nominations in for the Author categories. [face_dancing] How's everyone doing as the festival progresses? I've lost my flip-flops. A porg stole them. But I'm ready to dance as we all stand roundabouts six feet from each other.

But hey, the OT has some great fashions for these times. :vader:

*breathing noises*

20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    The Festival inspired me to train with Limboer Extraordinaire and I'm ready to rumble, come on let's dance! :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm ready to hit people with a hockey stick and spray them with lysol if anyone gets too close!

AzureAngel2, mavjade , Kahara and 4 others like this.
  22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007

The Festival deserves no less than a parade in honor of the participants, writers and mods, all making a concerted effort to brighten Fandom!

23. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I’m very remiss in waiting so long to say so, but I wanted to congratulate everyone who was nominated as “best” and to say thank you most sincerely to those who nominated me.

24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Congratulations to all authors, stories, and reviewers nominated! So many amazing stories were written and commented on by wonderful people throughout this year, making it a pleasure to visit this section of the boards on a regular basis=D=

A warm thank you to all who nominated my works or me for any category:

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    @AzureAngel2
    @Raissa Baiard
    @Kahara
    @Findswoman
    @divapilot
    @gizkaspice
    @JediMaster_Jen
    Also a thank you to those who nominated my stories anonymously through PMs to the mods.

And. big thank you as a whole to everyone in this supportive community who has made me feel so welcome sharing my stories and ideas here. Have a virtual hug compliant with social-distancing guidelines. [:D]

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I too want to say thank you to all those who selected my works and my reviews for mention. @};- This community is not only supportive, but inspiring, with super duper stories and wonderfully unique challenges :cool:

@};-