main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    and that's good thing to do, not just the men. We have 3 women and two men. seems right to me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Avar and Vern will have god mode activated right from the start (as will Older's black female character, Lula. 100% certainty). Only Keeve Trennis might be interesting.

The male characters will not be written to empower men lol.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We don't know that yet, i say don't judge a book by its' cover. MAybe they will maybe they won't And Avar is already a master or jedi knight of many years. Vern i could get as a 16 year old knight. Don't tell me Loden greatstrom dosen't excite you,:p

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I agree their should never be Sith in all but name in this period. I would be a happy man if other then the RoT Sith, their are no other dark clothed and red saber users in this era, and the Jedi never come across a Sith to fight.

Looks like we we will be getting a non-darkside threat in the form of the the Nihil.

However since this is star wars, I don't believe they should completely abandon darksiders. Keep a strong focus on the Jedi fighting muggles, but sprinkle in some evil force users.

If we are presented with non-Sith darksiders, their gains or future wants should be of smaller scale. No trying to conquer the galaxy/wipe out the Jedi Order.

What about a faction of Assassins within the Criminal underworld that use the darkside and various weapons (not sabers) to complete their tasks? That's a way to have duels without two sabers clashing.

Perhaps a return of seeing the Nightsisters. How similar or different are they compared to their PT era selves?

Still, their should be at least one example within this era of a non-Sith darksider who is trained in the art of wielding a jedi lightsaber.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I think if their differences with the Sith are obvious enough I wouldn't hate seeing a force using antagonist, though 99.9999% of the threats of this era should be "muggles".
    The Night Sisters... maybe. I'm curious to see the Jedi relations with the Bardottans. Not all fights need to be good vs evil, and some context concerning the Jedi recruitment of younglings, without portraying them as cold emotionless monsters would surely be appreciated.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Perhaps Qui-gon was inspired by the Jedi of the High Republic. And he was right, and he was still offered a seat on the Jedi Council too.

son_of_skywalker03 and Dawud786 like this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Qui Gon should have taken the seat and disregarded Obi wan it would be better of for the jedi order.

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Maybe. I suspect he would have been incredibly frustrated with the Council and ultimately left the Order altogether.

IG: @jedisufism

Hopeless likes this.
  9. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Or is Qui-Gon what a Jedi is supposed to be, and the others the opposite?;)

Cade Bane did pretty good agianst Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos, and Hondo and his band of clowns managed to capture Obi-Wan, Anakin and Dooku and then re-capture them several times. It's all a matter of skill, training and preperation.

Not canon anymore, I know, but this qoute from Atton in KOTOR 2 sums up the idea pretty well.

"Peaple say killing Jedi is hard. It's not. You just have to be smart about it. No blasters, no getting close to them, no attacking them directly when you can gun down their allies instead. There's ways of gassing them, drugging them, aking them lose control, torturing them..."

Would'nt it be more likely that she dies first?:p

Someone would have found Anakin eventually*, and if not that his connection would have manifested fully and he probobly would have gotten angry, killed Watto (assuming he and his mother were'nt bought and freed by Cliegg before then) and become some sort of cult leader or warlord/rebel leader oppossed to the Hutts.

*like whatever two Jedi were sent to Naboo instead, since assuming events went the same way they would still need to land somewhere to repair and refuel the ship.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Edit: wrong thread

11. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    thinking characters will have god mode just cause their gender No none of that

K2771991 likes this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    What? We have character descriptions. Avar Kriss' basically says that she is better than Yoda. She is the überjedi.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  13. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Qui Gon died in 1999. "Film is a director's medium! I hate acting on blue screens!" Everyone wanted more from Liam Neeson.

They worked out the gender ratio just for you! Your quota was 60% female. They delivered.

Qui Gon Jinn was not what a Jedi is supposed to be. He clashed with the Jedi Council over the issue of bringing Anakin into the order. Qui Gon Jinn played a major role in the events leading up to Order 66.

These are genuine concerns. Why not introduce the characters with an equal gender ratio if it's so important. The gender issue has been pushed so why not give us equal genders? Why not give us three females and three males to cut the risk of offending?

I sure did not feel empowered by Luke in Episode 8.

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    He reported meeting a Sith on Tattooine instead of sending at least another pair or a Master to back them up on their return to Naboo they waited until one of them died before reacting?!

I think you misunderstand how badly the Council ****ed up!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
  15. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I mean, just becuse Yoda is the big-fish Jedi of the PT era does'nt mean there were'nt big-fish Jedi in the eras before him.

By the PT the Jedi Order had more-or-less lost its way, and Qui-Gon, given his presentation, seems to be what Lucas had envisioned of a "true" Jedi.

In a Christian sense Qui-Gon is Eastern Orthadox and the rest of the Jedi Order is Roman Catholic. Both are Christians who worship the same god and their pratices and beliefs are about 90 percent compatiable with each other, but Qui-Gon is closer to what a "true" Christian should be in the sense that his teachings are more in line with those old Nicene Church.

Lol, what?

Why should the ratio of genders matter? And on top of that what rational man or woman would get offended just becuse their are two of their gender relative to three of the other?

I mean if I told someone I was attacked by a member of the Knights Templar they'd probably react similierly to how the council reacted to Qui-Gon.

I mean, his sole evidence was that Maul could use the Force and carried a lightsaber, which is'nt really exculsive to the Sith (or the Jedi, for that matter:))...

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  16. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    It really depends on the target audience. Who is the target audience? What demographics compose the target audience?

Let's they Lucasfilm expects 80% male readership and 20% female readership. The storylines should then be written for this type of audience. This type of audience is different than one where the readership is greater than 75% female. Or a 60% female to 40% male ratio. I doubt the readership for High Republic is going to be 75% female to 25% male. I also doubt it will be 60% female to 40% male.

Didn't you see the objections to bringing Anakin into the Jedi Order?

That analogy is a stretch. Why even go there if you have to make such a big stretch?

17. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    The target audience is probobly just "SW fans," though it could maybe be narrowed down specificly to "PT fans" or maybe even, given the astetic of a lot of the art they've posted but I doubt it becuse of how small a group that would be, "TOR fans."

18. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Writers and publishers need to know who they are writing and publishing for so they can understand their audience. "How is my audience going to react to something I throw at them?"

19. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Anakin's fall happened like thirteen years after Qui-Gon died and had multipule, intricate contributing factors that had nothing to do with him, not to mention Order 66 (to say nothing of Palpatine's overall master plan) was'nt contingent on Anakin and would have happened without him falling to the Dark Side.

I don't view it as much of a stretch. Actually I found it to be quite apt.

Okay, so let's say the audience is just "hardcore SW fans." How is there any reasonable what for them to know what the gender ratio of such a generalized group is? Not to mention why would any reasonable person care if the ratio of main characters in the books is three of one gender to two of anouther?

Did any reasonable person care that the ratio of main charecters in the ST was one (two in TLJ) woman/three men? Does any reasonble person care that the ratio in the PT and OT is two (three in ROTJ) men/one woman? Does any reasonable person care that the ratio in R1 is one woman/four men?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I’m curious about the state of the Republic Judicial forces in this era. Their should be some with the Jedi on the “frontier” dealing with the nihil, etc.

Hopeless and AusStig like this.
  21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Are'nt the Judicials sort of just like a glorfied coast guard? Would'nt in be more likely the peaple with the Jedi on the frontier would be members of some sort of exploratory outfit? Like a NASA equivalent? At least at the start of the books?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  22. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    My 2 cents

It's a bloody fantasy mystical universe that barely resembles our own in any way. Any gender ratio would be believable and acceptable. Make it 95% female, it's no problem. If male readers don't like it then they don't have to buy it. There's plenty of other male-dominated fiction. Try WH40K.

Now if we were talking about a piece of literature in a more realistic setting, say a team of Navy Seals on Earth in the 21st century and half the team (or more) was female then I could understand it annoying people.

rjrjr and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  23. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Has there been any news about this since the outbreak? Has it been pushed back?

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I can't believed there are people in here griping about the ratio of female characters to male characters after having 40 years of Star Wars focused on male characters to the near exclusion of women.

Sometimes with the outright deliberate sidelining and undermining of female characters no less(Jaina Solo).

It's a galaxy far, far away. I doubt they have the same social hangups around gender.

IG: @jedisufism

rjrjr, Point Given , VGCinema and 9 others like this.
  25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    In canon?

Cause we know in legends the Empire did and the Hapens had the reverse.