main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just watched some of the virtual town hall he’s doing on how Covid-19 is affecting African Americans. He made so much sense that it just made me sadder that he won’t get nominated.

Rew, Glitterstimm, MrZAP and 5 others like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There were 18 alternatives to Biden and Sanders, and somehow Biden’s supporters convinced people that they were all “Sanders cultists”.

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Wait—what? How do you figure that?

Ghost likes this.
  4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Then we drag em to hell

Glitterstimm and poor yorick like this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Chicago pandemic is a megadisaster for the African American community. There are so many reasons for it, and every single one of them makes me sadder that Bernie won't get the nomination.

Rew, Glitterstimm, Abadacus and 4 others like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm pretty sure we're not getting WI primary results until 13-Apr, btw...

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yes but prominent black people say Biden is good and Bernie is mean. They don't care that poorer african americans are suffering from Covid.

vncredleader likes this.
  8. EmuBay

EmuBay Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    In order to enact radical polices you have to market yourself as a moderate or conservative at the election as you can only do radical things once you are safely in power. FDR wasn't a radical in 1932, he was barely even a liberal.

9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    There’s absolute horror in Michigan, too. African Americans are 12% of our population and 40% of our covid-19 dead. Nobody is talking about this. The local media has lately latched onto the fact that Detroit’s doctors and nurses are dying, but nothing about its other citizens. I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that the population being ignored is 80% black and 38% living below the poverty line.

Glitterstimm, Abadacus, MrZAP and 3 others like this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This is the man who it's racist to say anything bad about. It's also the man who endorsed Joe Biden (go figure).

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I continue to feel this is deeply uncalled for and not really defensible. Sure, disagree with their thoughts about the best way to help African Americans. But it takes more than a little gall to pretend that you have done more for or care more about black people, poor or otherwise. James Clyburn was a lead negotiator in a major strike of black workers at a hospital system where they were openly underpaid and suffered racist abuse as a matter of course.

Would you seriously assert that any of us who post on a Star Wars message board--or even have been volunteering for Sanders since 2016--have somehow done more to tangibly improve the lives of poor blacks? Really? Are we ready to lecture people who were real workers in the peak of the Civil Rights Movement just because we read something we've taken a fancy to?

That's incredible hubris.

Darth Weavile likes this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Look, Clyburn and Lewis are old and, statistically speaking, not going to be around for as long as my generation is. The decisions that they are making today harms my generation. They're going to continue to put old, out of touch conservatives (that's who they are compared to us) into office and then I and others are going to have to suffer for it. I don't just dislike or resent them. I despise them. Did they do something good for a small subset of Americans in the 60s? Yes. But now they're harming us and I have every right to have the hubris to tell them they aren't needed or watned.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    "A small subset."

Really? The Civil Rights Act affected a "small subset" of African-Americans? The over half of all African-Americans nationwide that lived in the South were a "small subset?"

Even if they announced that it was their declared intention to harm your generation, it would still be indefensible to claim you had done more for black people than they have. That's true for all of us on this board. You can disagree with them. They can be wrong now. But that doesn't erase what they've done before, nor does it excuse your attack on their principles. You sound like an idiot.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  14. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    If you help a man, you're a great person. If you help ten million, it's a statistic.

grd4, dp4m and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    And if you post a complaint on the internet, you are apparently a saint.

16. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Nah, that one is exclusively dependent on who or what you worship.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Reach out and touch faith...
    Your own...
    Saint Vermont Jesus...
    //bass line kicks in...

18. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I’m not saying it’s right, or that i support the supposition, but what if...
    What if the reason for the comparative death tolls between caucasian and African Americans being higher are not due to doctor’s treating patients differently?
    There are several other possible factors that may go into such a statistic, I’m not saying they are right, I’m not even saying I’m right but part of AA culture is to not trust doctors and police. Also, some people would only go to a doctor if they can afford the payment. Some would never voluntarily go to a hospital.
    Maybe hospitals are further away in historically AA neighborhoods. Not saying that’s true or even good, just that it maybe a factor.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    In Kansas City we just had an investigation and a big news story about this, so at least they are covering it. Seems the potential factors are:

1. Poorer, more worried about a big hospital bill
    2. More obesity and diabetes in the AA community, which is partly just genetic
    3. Could be a genetic predisposition to worse symptoms (like AA being more susceptible to sickle cell anemia)

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  20. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    And then he told a young Bernie Sanders: "I respect your activism. But someday I'll deny your involvement, and endorse a right-winger."

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I’m glad a bunch of white kids on a Star Wars website are here to explain to him what racial discrimination really means.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Looks like it's over :(

Edit: damn heels is fast lol

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    And now, possibly the weirdest campaign in the history of US presidential elections begins. Under the shadow of a pandemic, with disaster ahead and consequences that will extend well past the election itself, and the worst possible incumbent for the circumstances - and nevertheless a very well positioned incumbent at this time, so divided the country is, and so effective the electorate suppression.

Good luck Joe. Not for yourself, mind you, but we're going to need it.

Rew, Outsourced, Runjedirun and 4 others like this.
  25. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    Ok guy with Stalin avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.