main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Official Dave Filoni Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean WHY it was created doesn't always have to matter so long as it's written well.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Force-sensitive Transformers is the future.

eko32eko7 and GregMcP like this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Filonious Monk

4. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Check out the just released "Legacy" episode of the new BTS on Mandalorian on Disney+. Even if you have no interest in The Mandalorian, the last segment "Hero's Journey" is worth checking out (it starts at 21:32) No Mandalorian spoilers whatsoever.

In less than eight minutes, Dave Filoni effortlessly distills and captures the heart and soul of the Star Wars saga and steals the show. I can even see how those same beats and themes shaped the Siege of Mandalore arc. My next rewatch just got improved by this.

I wasn't even that interested in this BTS series but this alone made it worthwhile.

5. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Agreed. It doesn't have to matter, but it often has a significant impact.

I can't wait. Light our darkest hour.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. Great stuff from Filoni (and Favreau and Chow) that shows how deeply this crew understands Star Wars. And in my travels, I have yet to meet a Star Wars fan who doesn’t appreciate the Mandalorian already, so this will likely just enhance that appreciation for everyone.

7. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I can listen to Filoni breakdown Star Wars for hours and hours. Fantastic stuff.

8. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I could not agree more. I was completely mesmerized by Dave Filoni’s analysis of the importance of the Duel of the Fates. For a brief moment, I felt like I was the only one. Then I realized who the rest of his audience was, and I no longer felt alone. Even Jon Favreau was amazed. My son also texted me about it. I think that it is safe to say that Dave Filoni will be the Heir to the Empire. It could not happen to a nicer guy.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Favreau and Chow talking about IG-11’s rehabilitation was also great. This crew understands Star Wars.

10. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    He cameoed in the Mandalorian :)

Darth Dnej likes this.
  11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Out of all the things Filoni has done... my favorite, in terms of his character development accomplishments, has to be what he did with Maul. I love many of his other characters. The standout for many people would be the development of Ahsoka, making a compelling and enjoyable foil to Anakin, a well rounded growth of a character, and achieving the development of a strong female character who largely avoided the accusations of Mary Sue-dom and such like that were leveled at Rey.

But... for what I would consider his greatest achievement, I have to go with what he did with another character.

Dave took Darth Maul, who appeared in TPM as a fairly one-dimensional, disposable attack dog with a grand total of two lines and 31 words of dialog (not including the "fear attracts" poem that was part of a teaser and didn't actually appear in the movie)... and turned him masterfully into a complex, multilayered, tormented villain whose episodes were a joy to watch. A villain who on the one hand could massacre a village of innocent people simply to gain Obi-Wan's attention, but on the other hand could at times elicit some sympathy. Filoni's ability to write compelling characters really shone with Maul, especially considering what he had to work with when he took the character on - and I don't just mean the fact that Maul was last seen recieving an injury that would generally be considered unsurvivable. But the way Maul was presented in TPM - a violent, hyperagressive, demonic looking hellion who gave the impression of being all brawn and not much brains... and then turned him into what he turned him into. By the time of the SoM arc, he was near-quoting Plato and Socrates. "Justice is merely a construct of the current power base."

A superb case of character development mastery.

12. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    His mastery and understanding of lore is the stuff of legend, he really has a grasp of the minute details.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Dave Filoni has brought huge stuff into Star Wars and understand it second to George Lucas his jedi master. And he has been apart of all star wars media since the dinsey buyout. He understand the story and themes of the prequel trilogy, OT story and themes and the ST tilogy story and Themes. He Made Maul and Hsoka into Star Wars greatest characters. He improved on Anakin Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, Palpatine and Master Yoda. He compares Luke in ST and his journey similar to Frodo. I hope he continnues to make the saga and story more intresting.

14. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I agree that’s one thing that makes Dave so great; he learned the mythology from George. But not just on the lore and practical aspect but also on the person to person and how to develop the characters intimately (obviously Ahsoka is the obvious character vision) but look at how he has impacted the Mandalorian and other aspects of the SW medium. He is a creative genius with a vision which aligns with the creator.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Seems like all the new animated shows like Bad Batch and the rebel's sequel will have to follow Dave Filoni's vision and he will have hand on what happens in them. All animation tv is his platform it seems. Even Mando show will have his hand prints on them.

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    So I just finished Star Wars: The Clone Wars for the last time with the season 7 finale.

And oh boy, I'm still processing it all. But I'm glad that we're getting a Bad Batch series as I really liked the Bad Batch arc. I hope that it's more than the "Bad Batch" though. It should be a multi-POV story as I didn't particularly like Rebels due to it being mostly focused on one POV (that is, the Ghost crew). Give me more characters to get to know about and flesh them out well and we're set.

And bring in Quinlan Vos.

Iron_lord and Seerow like this.
  17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I understand the appreciation, but that's not true. Maul was already a popular character before the Clone Wars, and he didn't even want Maul in the Clone Wars, he only did it because Lucas told him to do it. Also he said Lucas told him to use Maul with the Mandalorians, that Maul invading the Mandalore thing was actually Lucas's idea, he says in right here;

Filoni: ''So George came up with the idea of teaming up Maul with mandalorians.''

DurararaFTW likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I always thought so. However, it never did sit right with me that Mandos, no matter what faction, would welcome an outsider like Maul so easily.

19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It's kind of a Mandalorian tradition, it happened before even though it's Legends now. Ancient Sith Ulic, defeated Mandalore the indomitable in single combat, despite the disadvantages that the mandalore used additional weapons while Sith Ulic did not, and Ulic still won. And then Ulic ruled the mandalorian warriors, it was probably referencing to that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I know that’s how they make it work in terms of the world-building. It just doesn’t read as particularly believable to me.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  21. RealAlex01

RealAlex01 Jedi Padawan

Aug 10, 2020
    Big Dave Filoni fan, here. He does so much research on the canon of the characters and their stories before putting them on screen.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think with Mando season 2 now coming soon, we will see, more of Filoni's world.

23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well he is the next best thing to Lucas. having been his padawan.

RealAlex01, Erkan12 and Princess_Tina like this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think it's very possible to have a DF spinoff movie in the future if they decide to bring them back. Overall, I think DF definitively understands what SW is about, having worked alongside GL for so long and all and I believe he's a strong storyteller overall, even if the execution of those ideas is not always done well. He does give me more Force mysticism stories and character which are my personal favorite aspect of the SW universe, so I'm glad he's there expanding the mythology.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  25. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I do hope Dave Filoni is apart of Star Wars future. Not hating on the Sequel Trilogy, but the last season (7) of TCW closely reflected the GL era of Star Wars. I also saw the documentary series of The Mandolorian and listening to DF, you can tell he really gets it like no other.