main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod!Challenge The Dare Challenge 2020 - Winners Announced!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Apr 26, 2020.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's the classic. It's the dreaded. It's the much beloved.

IT'S THE MOD'S DARE CHALLENGE!!!

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Evil rabid plot bunnies

Welcome to the Mod's Dare Challenge!
    A fun time to torture your fellow fanficers and get the chance to torture your mods while you're at it! Because what else is there to do these days?

What is the Mod’s Dare Challenge?
    It’s a challenge that pre-dates all of your mods by quite a bit and has been pretty popular in the past. We did this back in 2017 and keep getting asked to bring it back, so here it is!

It’s basically a challenge where you think of a crazy bunny, as crazy or evil as you want. You are daring your fellow fanficers to write your story. The mods then give your dare to someone to write and you get someone else’s crazy bunny to write. (Think the fic-gift challenge, but instead of something you want, it's something off the wall, crazy or just weird) It’s basically a silly challenge to have fun… and maybe be just a little evil.

Examples of Classic Past Dares:

[​IMG]
    Pictured: You thinking up a dare.

Okay, I'm in for this insanity! How do I participate?

Send a PM to Mira_Jade, mavjade or Briannakin with:
    1) Your Dare
    2) What era(s) you would like to write in.
    • You may state more than one era or all eras.
    • You may preference what Saga era you would prefer (PT/OT/ST/New Movies) but we can’t guarantee you’ll get it.
    • You’ll then be sent a Dare and you’ll have about a month to write and post it.
    After the end date, we’ll open it up for voting and then we’ll have a winner.

The dare you submit may be as specific or as vague as you would like. You can have required elements, a word limit, a bizarre/funny plot point, or anything else those crazy plot bunnies want to come up with that still falls within the TOS.

Writing Rules

1) No more than 2,500 word story. If you end up making it an epic or more than one post, only the first post will be counted toward the challenge. All elements of the dare must be in that one post.

2) You must post what you were dared to write somewhere with your story. At the beginning or end is fine, under a spoiler cut is fine.

3) Make sure to indicate in the title of your story that it is a Dare Challenge Response

4)Post a link to your story in this thread once you have posted it

5) As always, the TOS and all board rules apply to your dare and writing.

Voting Rules
    In the past, only those who posted their response to the dares were eligible to vote. Due to low number of people voting in things, we’ve changed the rules.

• Anyone may vote
    • If you completed your Dare (as in you posted your story in the time given), your vote counts for 2 points
    • If you complete your Dare and you vote, you get 1 additional point added to your point total
    • If you entered the Dare Challenge but did not complete your Dare, your vote counts for 1 point
    • If you didn’t have anything to do with the challenge, but want to vote, your vote counts for 1 point

• You may not vote for yourself

Example of Points System:
    Luke - Completes his Dare; votes for Palpy
    Leia - Completes her Dare; doesn't vote
    Vader - Doesn't complete his Dare; votes for Luke
    Palpy - Completes Dare; votes for Leia
    Han - Doesn't enter challenge; votes for Palpy
    [​IMG]

So, Palpy wins with 4 points. Luke and Leia tie with 2 points each.
    Had Leia voted, she would have had one more point (since she completed her Dare) and would have come in second and Luke third.

Didn't get it? (Don't worry!)

We wanted to encourage more votes, but also give those that completed their dare added weight to keep a similar structure to previous Dare Challenges. Basically if you complete your dare and vote, you get a point. Whoever you vote for gets 2 points. If you don't complete your dare, or were just a reader, your vote counts for one point.​

So what can I get for putting up with all of this?

The person with the most points gets 1 week of colors and a title

2nd most points gets 72 hours of colors and a title

3rd most votes gets 24 hours of colors and a title

Mod’s Choice Dare - The person the mods choose as having submitted the best dare (regardless if it gets written or not) will get to torture the mods for 1 week with: whatever color combo you want to choose for our names, our icons, and we’ll say you are responsible for this and had the best Dare in our signatures.

Dates:

Your Dare must be sent to the mods by: 11:59 pm PST Friday, May 8th

Dares will be sent on or before: Monday, May 11th

Your response to the Dare must be posted by: 11:59pm PST Thursday, June 11th

Voting Begins: Friday, June 12th

Voting Ends: 11:59pm, Friday June 19th

After voting starts, the dares that were not written will be posted so anyone can give them a try!

So that’s it. We DARE YOU to go out and think of those evil plot bunnies and join in!

Good luck... you're gonna need it!

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Evil Plot Bunny

The Index of Dare Stories:
    An Imperial Parody by devilinthedetails (First Place Winner!)
    Pun Away by Kit' (Second Place Winner!)
    The Treasure by Jedi_Lover (Second Place Winner!)
    Weird Wormholes! by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (Second Place Winner!)
    First Son, by Tarsier (Belated Entry)

The Mods' Choice for Best Dare this time around goes to: Raissa Baiard!

From brodiew:

* A run in with the law
    * A treasure chest
    *Han and Poe
    * line of dialogue: 'I've had better partners.'
    * a nerf hair longcoat
    * a Force Ghost cameo

From Cowgirl Jedi 1701:

Your story may be set in any era, and may be Legends, NuCanon, or a mix of both, but it must include the following things:
    • A pet
    • A group of friends singing a song together
    • The word "donnybrook"
    • A WTF moment
    • A practical joke
    • Someone gets drunk
    • Someone gets a makeover
    • As many bad puns as you can manage

From devilinthedetails:

I dare you to write a Star Wars story inspired by Shakespeare’s tragedy Hamlet. Your story may be set in any era (Before the Saga, Saga-PT, Saga-OT, Saga-ST, Beyond the Saga, Before the Saga-Legends, Beyond the Saga-Legends) and you may use any characters from the Star Wars movies, Legends, or New Canon books. To ensure your story is inspired by Hamlet, you must include the following elements:

1. A ghost appears.
    2. A character pretends to be insane.
    3. A character spies on another character and gets caught in the act.
    4. A play is performed.
    5. A character hands out very symbolic flowers.
    6. A character soliloquizes.
    7. A character offers this advice to another character: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be."
    8. A character stares at a skull.

From Jedi_Lover:

I would like to see a story from the Expanded Universe-Legends: Beyond the Saga that takes place between The Last Command and Specter of the Past (meaning Luke and Mara are not dating). Or an AU with Mara and Luke where they are not dating prior to the start of the story. I would like a situation where Mara and Luke are both acting completely opposite of what they would normally do. It could be because of some Force thing or a curse or witchcraft or whatever, but they are both acting completely out of character…but they somehow still end up together. Then when the curse/witchcraft/Force thingy is over they go back to the way they were and have to face the consequences…if there are consequences.

From Kit':

The story ends in a graveyard. The story takes place in mid-winter. The story must involve a bottle of wine at the end.

From Raissa Baiard:

I dare you to write a story in which, due to budget constraints, housing allowances for Imperial officers have been cut, forcing Darth Vader, Maul, and Grand Admiral Thrawn to rent a suburban condo together. Your story must include elements inspired by the following Sims screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    (Vader eats grilled cheese)
    [​IMG]
    (Maul plays acoustic guitar)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Thrawn punches a giant teddy bear)

Bonus points if you have the characters wearing the outfits in the screenshots!

From Tarsier:

I dare someone to write a "Roshomon-style" story, played for laughs. Ideally it will feature Luke and Mara between TTT and HoT, but it doesn't have to.
    (If you need inspiration, check out the X-Files episode Bad Blood (aka the best X-Files episode).)

From WarmNyota_SweetAyesha:

* A cooking fiasco
    * Something goes wrong /haywire with the SW version of the laptop ;)
    * Baby sitting woes or youngling hijinks

* A pillow fight
    * A hug

Optional but I think it would be cool: time travel [face_laugh]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    So not brave enough for this but I will bring a picnic blanket and popcorn and watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm in. Sent my dare.

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Submitted my dare. Now, as Caesar said, "The die has been cast." Except he said that in Latin and I wrote it in English. :p

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey all! So since we have only received 2 dares and we know we can do better than this is (and since Mods are losing track of days and we bet some of you guys are too) we are extending the dare due dates until Friday May 8th! Please send in your dares!

The new schedule looks like this:

Your Dare must be sent to the mods by: 11:59 pm PST Friday, May 8th

Dares will be sent on or before: Monday, May 11th

Your response to the Dare must be posted by: 11:59pm PST Thursday, June 11th

Voting Begins: Friday, June 12th

Voting Ends: 11:59pm, Friday June 19th

6. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Gah! Sithly double post.

This doesn’t mean I’m in twice

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Kahara likes this.
  7. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Okay. Picnic blanket is away and I’m in.

I’m terrified to all sith hells but nothing ventured nothing gained right?

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I have not been very successful that completing my end of the dare challenge in recent years. But I'm gonna give it one more go. Dare to come.

Edit: Dare sent!

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Just a reminder you have till the end of Friday to submit your dares! If you are unsure, I wouldn't be too worried. So far the dares have been rather tame (not that that's a bad thing) or at least extremely flexible in what era/characters you want! Plus, you got nothing to lose! At worst you can't write your dare - no big deal - and you'll still be eligible for the Mods' choice prize!

10. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Dare sent. [face_devil]

brodiew, Mira_Jade , Kahara and 2 others like this.
  11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Yeeeeeees, this is such an awesome collection of dares that's brewing! If you're considering signing up for this, I highly recommend doing so! The more the merrier to share in the, erm, fun! [face_mischief] [face_devil]

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb talent seems to be signing up. :eek: I suddenly have a craving for crazy hilarity. Submitting a dare.

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, shoot, I guess I missed the deadline! :oops: But the way things have been in RL these days, it’s probably safest for me to take, paraphrasing @Kit' , the picnic-blanket approach. I’ll watch the proceedings of this challenge with great interest! :D

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I totally meant to post a reminder yesterday but quarantine brain hit me again 8-}:oops: We will pair everyone off with a dare and get them off by Monday!

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Dares have been sent out!

[​IMG]

16. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I apologize if this is a silly question, but if our dare does not include an era, characters, etc., do we have to write a Star Wars story?

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's a very good question. I was kinda off-hand wondering this myself the other day when I was going through the dares. We'll discuss and get back to you.

18. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Done! YAY!

So many puns! So many, many, many puns that it's puntastic!

The dare was to write a story that included the following:

Your story may be set in any era, and may be Legends, NuCanon, or a mix of both, but it must include the following things:
    A pet
    A group of friends singing a song together
    The word "donnybrook"
    A WTF moment
    A practical joke
    Someone gets drunk
    Someone gets a makeover
    As many bad puns as you can manage (I got 18! :p[face_rofl][face_laugh])

So, in the spirit of Puns may I introduce to you Pun Away I used two of my OC's Namia and Taeyn [face_relieved]

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So sorry for the late reply - times are weird, ya know.

After some deliberation we have decided yes, if your dare is vague enough to allow for a NSWFF reply, then you may. The purpose of this challenge is to inspire weird, creative, and 'out of the box' stories and if your dare allows for a NSWFF story, then go for it.

In the past we have specifically said all dares must be SW, just because allowing NSWFF dares just creates a whole new headache as to who will write in what fandom, so that won't be changing in the future. But since we had a few very vague/non SW specific dares this year, we allowing NSWFF stories to be written from those non specific dares.

20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I have posted my response featuring Vader, Thrawn, and Maul sharing a suburban condo due to Imperial budget cuts:

An Imperial Parody

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  23. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I regret that I am going to have to drop out of competition. Under normal circumstances, my dare is one that I would hav enjoyed, but with my situation at the moment, I can’t see any way that I’ll be able to finish it on time. My apologies.

Mira_Jade , Kahara, Kit' and 3 others like this.
  24. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    DRL really is taking its toll right now, that we certainly understand! The same as with any challenge, if you can't finish your dare on time, that's okay! There's still a bit of time between now and the due date, so if anything changes I know I speak for all of us when saying that we look forward to reading your response. And, if not, that's more than okay too!

Hang in there, and take care, Raissa! [:D]

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Echoing this because @Raissa Baiard is one of the maestras of fix-it fics. [face_love] :* [:D] !!