main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    north carolina +1768 cases in last 24 hrs (10% positive rate, which is not great)
    south carolina +770 cases in last 24 hrs (14.4% positive rate, which is very much not great)

[​IMG]

avoid the land of caroline

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'll make sure to only go to Carolina in my mind.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sorry your home state is going through this @heels1785 :(

Rew, Luke02, Nobody145 and 3 others like this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    at least our good citizens can put their worries to rest by going to bowling alleys, which were re-opened today. also retail stores no longer have capacity restrictions, if you and 200 friends are looking to buy some mouthwash or whatever. party hard for science!

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea some states and probably all states to be honest will be ****ed when it comes to the second wave. If my cross country trip showed me anything it’s that people don’t give a **** about wearing masks or following any of the rules.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "We were told this could last at least 18 months. It's been three months, so the pandemic is over now, right? Go out and sacrifice yourself for capital!"

...wait, second wave? *shriek*! Sell! Sell! Sell!"

7. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It wouldn't work now indeed - in the USA. It worked in quite a few non-USA countries already.

Nevertheless, don't think American culture provides any special immunity to authoritarianism implemented right. It doesn't take all that long - just long enough for the metaphorical frog not to realize the water temperature isn't going to stop rising when it reaches boiling point.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Pensivia likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    By the time we are done. I could see this being 5 waves instead of the 2 most thought it would be. Because people are stupid.

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The anti-vaxxers are ready for this moment, ready to save us from whichever hastily prepared vaccine wins the arduous Project Warp Speed trial by fire and is rushed to production to save us from the pandemic.

10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Finally, something stronger than Trump: the anti-vaxxer movement.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I suppose it's safe to assume anti-vaxxers will be here even after Trump is out of office

12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    The Trumpers will be here long after Trump is out of office. Who knows what they'll do once their Dear Leader is out. I would only expect more desperation and derangement.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think one of the more fascinating bits of trivia in the world is that the best-vaccinated state in the country is Mississippi. It's not even close, really.

14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Really? This says otherwise... (Interestingly enough, the last 4 are the states that are spiking the most with Covid

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-that-vaccinate-the-most/66237/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Princess_Tina likes this.
  15. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    D.C.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I got my stats from the CDC.

For kindergarten vaccinations, Mississippi is #1 by a wide margin. It's the only state at 99% on that list.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Ah. Ok. I think yours deals with just kindergarten. And the one I posted was all children, and adults. I think.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I should add that West Virginia is not far behind, coming in at 98.8% on that list.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I just found out a friend and her two daughters were just diagnosed with the 'rona... They live in Florida :(

21. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Traffic was almost back to normal on the DC Beltway this afternoon. Look we went out to eat tonight:
    Parking lot dining:
    [​IMG]
    This was the view from out table.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Al fresco dining is the best.

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Standard for federal stats - at least for unemployment - is to include Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and Washington DC as three additional "states" for the purposes of statistics.

Edit: And just to show you the ******** about Puerto Rico being a territory, in the rankings of states and territories by population, PR is number thirty-one.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So my University just announced they will be opening campus and starting the semester earlier in hopes of missing the “second wave” in the fall. Half the classes will be online. So at that point why not just have them all be online. I really doubt this decision is going to stick or is a good idea. If we have the option to do completely online I will take it.

Pensivia, Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It's all kabuki theater. In the end, a majority of universities in the United States will have to go back to online-only by the end of the fall semester. There's a ruinous combination of wishful thinking, financial pressure, and a desperation for some kind of normalcy in universities throughout the country.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic was more useful than the plans most universities are putting together for the upcoming fall semester.

Pensivia likes this.