main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW this resonates with you because there is a Kowalski in both the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea fandom as well as in the Penguins of Madagascar fandom ... granted, one is human and the other is penguin, but still ... [face_hypnotized]

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...and the Kowalski of Stargate SG1!

3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you have two fanon projects moving closer and closer to being releasable and now sit on the descision wich one will go this month and wich one has to wait.

4. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    You forget that you wrote some world building in a notebook and not in a google doc.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you reach the point where you have questions about a challenge you yourself invented. ;)

6. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when there aren't enough Very's for how AU something is...

brodiew, Sith-I-5, pronker and 2 others like this.
  7. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    When you're listening to a podcast about The Wire and you think: 'actually, 'Way Down in the Hole' would be a great title for a Coruscant Underworld fic.'

Exeter and pronker like this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Bring it! :D I can't say how much I've enjoyed *just speaking of Star Wars* coffee shop AUs, high school AUs, police station AUs, and such ...

amidalachick and Kahara like this.
  9. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    When it's time to go to sleep in time to get that recommended eight hours... and the fanfic is pouring from your keyboard. Whoops. :D (Not that I recommend or endorse not getting enough sleep, but here I am. :p )

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    When your muse is fired up, based on erroneous data or a misunderstanding, and you think about how some of the resulting fic was you fighting your way out of the mess.

11. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    I'll give you that and raise you a cybernetic technician who specializes in mechatronics falling in love with a deus ex machina. (Seriously.)

...when you go and embrace the bad movie remake and not even Gary Oldman can help you get out of writers block. (I say that now, but give me twenty-four hours...)

12. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    When you're a lifelong procrastinator who used to* put off important things like school assignments, exam studying, and driver's license road tests until the very last minute, but you are actually completing things well ahead of the deadlines for a fanfic project.

*And still does :p

13. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Fanfic projects > IRL

"I can get this important thing for work/school done later, this story about a space cat wearing a hat/whatever is more important and I'm running on a deadline here!"
    :D

14. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    When you find yourself brainstorming ideas for an AU... of your AU.

[face_hypnotized]

15. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    When you begin to believe that you can do better job telling a story than the actual professionals that did Sequel Trilogy.

16. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    ...For funsies you open an old WIP of yours (the "file last modified in 2002" type of old :eek: [face_skull]) and you realize how many in-universe rules you've either learned or created since then that make entire sections of the WIP useless and internally inconsistent with every other story you now have.

"What? I've established a bunch of times that those particular comms don't have that kind of range! They can't contact that other character then."
    "Why did he do that? That was a completely stupid decision because of XYZ, and he's smarter than that."
    "And why did the bad guys do that? They know better! Sheesh. They're just begging to be caught if they make choices like that."
    "No no no no no, hyperdrives do not do that."
    "Why use a physical blow when a stun bolt is a much better option for that situation? HELLO, idiot bad guy! Stun bolts exist in your universe, remember!"

sigh.

17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Similar to buy different from: when you re-read an old fic that you thought was pretty good when you wrote it, but your writing has improved since then and you realize, "yeah, that could have been better."

18. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Better than re-reading a story you thought was great back in the day and thinking “oh dear Force, this thing needs to be killed with fire!”:eek:

19. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    It does give one perspective on his or her growth over time as a writer. It also makes me wonder if I've thrown at all over the last 15 years.

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    When you zone out on a hot summer's afternoon with your family to simply expand on an idle idea in your mind, completely oblivious to any surrounding conversation and feeling buzzed by the sudden random creativity.

21. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    When you sit down with every intention of working on some writing and look up a specific clip on Youtube for research purposes and before you know it you've watched the whole movie and the entire evening is gone. At least I found out what I wanted to know! :p

22. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    When you have rewatched Stranger Things Season 1 with the kids and sit down to write for some good inspiration only to start a new Star Wars thread for the Summer Olympics. 8-} [face_skull] :p

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  23. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    When you spend an hour of your holidays when you should be baking or sewing because you have actual IRL deadlines to get that stuff done and instead make an excel document that tracks all your characters ages...[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Exeter, amidalachick, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  24. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Whaaaatttt! That's so cool. I suddenly have an urge to track all my characters' ages and then run an analysis for statistical significance..........[face_hypnotized]

amidalachick, Kahara and pronker like this.
  25. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    @Kit' , Oh, nostalgia! I still have a list somewhere of every character that I was possible thinking of writing by BBY/ABY birth dates. Though it wasn't quite this advanced, it did have hundreds of characters included. I've ended up changing some that were OC's in order to fit them into different stories. Not sure if that makes it more or less... whatever it is. [face_rofl]