main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would Disney eventually make a (PG-13) Yuuzhan Vong movie or series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Durge27, Jun 9, 2020.

?

Would you like a (PG-13) version of Yuuzhan Vong on screen?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Durge27

Durge27 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 15, 2020
    I know, I know, they're controversial, but so is Thanos who wiped out half of the Universe's population and who's also owned by Disney. Violence can always be trimmed down on screen. With enough powerful dialogue, we don't need a GoT style "Bolton family" violence depicted on screen for characters to be effective.

Why not bring them in, simply as an alternative to the eternal Empire vs Rebels stories that have been regurgitated to death?

What do you guys think? IMO it should have been done in lieu of the current ST, but Disney feared the risk. I get it. Now, however, what's stopping them?

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Gallandro007 likes this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Don’t like them or the heavy-handed concept they represent. But I’m fully open to an extra-galactic threat to the GFFA from a nomadic space-faring civilization, ala the Goths, Huns, etc. Just have them fit the tone and style of Star Wars, rather than making them essentially space orcs. And they don’t need to be one species either. Have them be a collection of various human and alien species. In short, don’t monsterize them.

yodasoda2187 and Durge27 like this.
  3. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    The Yuuzhan Vong are why I stopped reading Star Wars novels back in the day, so no.

Sitara and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yes if only because they are a different form of villain than just Imperials

5. ceruleanwing

ceruleanwing Jedi Padawan

Jun 5, 2020
    I actually liked the Yuuzhan Vong as villains. They could definitely be tweaked to something that would be appropriate for a PG rated film. Anything is better than endless rehashing of Empire vs. Rebels, which is very much played out at this point.

6. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Given that there were plans to include the Vong in TCW, I'd say that there's a fair chance they could appear in a live action movie. Probably not for a good long while though, until Disney/Lucasfilm have got a few more safe bets under their belt, and not as extreme as they appear in the books.

Durge27 likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The key thing would be to have them be an extra-galactic civilization, rather than a race. That's how you avoid the orc effect. So, multi-species, including humans. And nomadic. With massive, inhabited, travelling space-station cities, if you will (not just traveling military stations, ala the Death Star). That could be pretty interesting.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There was so much rich story in the EU and now we have to keep going to the past to make t.v and movies surely now they can tap in to some EU stuff so I'm a yes....

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Isn't everything PG-13 now? It's basically been the new G for a while

Jimbing likes this.
  10. KDC1972

KDC1972 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    I liked parts of the Vong--I loved how they couldn't be sensed through the Force, I liked how they came from outside the galaxy. I hated the organic, genetically engineered "technology", I always thought that aspect was just stupid. I think they could have the Vong but maybe modify it a bit so it isn't exactly like the old EU and they could still be effective, intriguing baddies.

Jimbing and Durge27 like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just don’t make them a single race (and drop the organic bio thing) and there’s no problem at all with an extra-galactic threat.

Jimbing likes this.
  12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    An extra-galactic threat could be really interesting, but I dislike the Yuuzhan Vong themselves. For all the fan complaints asking for originality, I'd also really rather Lucasfilm avoid mining the well of the EU too extensively. Cherrypick here and there, but don't just lift conflicts and characters wholesale (Thrawn is an exception, because Thrawn).

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed.

I despise the Vong but believe the film franchise would benefit greatly from offering an existential threat to, say, life rather than any sort of political confrontation for a go.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I like the idea of an extra-galactic political threat, as long as they aren’t one-dimensional orcs like the Vong. Have them be the GFFA’s version of the Goths on the doorsteps of Rome, but without the ethnocultural homogeneity and dumb organo-evil philosophy.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This. Whatever they go with, IMO it would be most effective to be some sort of apolitical, alien, extragalactic force that requires the entire galaxy as a whole to get over their petty differences, and band together to defeat. Lord of the Rings handled this concept VERY well, and the story was well-served because of it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Durge27 likes this.
  16. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I was done with the old EU before the vong stuff showed up and the little I've heard doesn't make me regret that decision. I'd much rather see a government from a different galaxy where their force users operate under different beliefs than the Jedi and Sith. You could make the story about expansionism into the Unknown Regions.

17. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    In my opinion this is what the ST should have been about all along.

The potential of having the New Republic forced to fight alongside the Imperial Remnant to counter an extra galactic invasion has so much potential for inverting expectations.

Also having three factions rather than two works tremendously well, as you can write stories that are not simply black and white, good versus evil. You have that immediate dilemma, should the good guys work with the old baddies to defeat an even bigger baddie?. The story potential for that is huge, as far as character arcs and motivations are concerned.

It certainly added an edge to Game of Thrones and was one of the reasons that the story was so good. As up to season 7 you had no idea how it was all going to play out, re Alliances, double crosses etc.

In summary this is definitely the way Lucasfilm should go, and I recommend that people read the New Jedi order books. The Vong crisis spread over multiple books is some of the best Star Wars ever written.

Also it could work for a future film. If they set it say 90 years in the future. We could see new Jedi. That had graduated from the Academy that Rey & Finn had set up post ROS.

They could go up against the Vong.
    The New Republic would be the Government that doesnt believe it's a threat until it's too late.

We than just have to find a another faction possibly related to the Sith or maybe Crime Syndicates that the still to few Jedi are forced to work with against there better judgement to stop the Vong.

I have spoken.

18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The Vong or another type of Extra Galactic threat is an absolute necessity for me if we ever do one day get a trilogy set post ST.

We have had plenty of threats that come from within the galaxy so far in the eras we have currently and upcoming (high republic, im sure eventually old republic), that a hypothetical post ST threat needs to be something different then what we are familiar with.

Picture a galaxy without a Republic. An adult generation now exists who were born after the New Republic blew up. Since then there hasn't been another republic, but various factions have emerged....some causing small conflict, to fill in the gap. First Order remnants still exist (but are dying out). Rey is either dead or old. A new generation of Jedi now exist, though still small.

But something dark is coming.....the White Walkers and dead Men walking.....

Ok joke about the last part. But Star Wars eventually should give us an outside threat. Introduce us to a world in which some people learn about an extra galactic force wanting to conquer, and trying to bring some unity to the various factions in a non-Republic galaxy to combat said threat.

This era can still have certain familiar enemies (maybe even a dark jedi).

Here are a few things I want to see out of a extra galactic threat.

1. They don't have massive fleets like the Old Empire, relying on other ways to conquer. Such as biological warfare. Introduce a plague to the galaxy. Have a network of spies causing discord.

2. Speaking of spies, let them have tech or naturally be able to shapshift into human form. Creating the enemy within.

3. If they aren't the Vong, still give them the anti-droid viewpoint. Unlike the Vong, perhaps they were chased out of their galaxy by a conquering intelligent droid race.

4. Perhaps have darksiders in their ranks, though its a far different culture then the Sith. I don't think even the old EU dealt with darksiders from beyond the galaxy (but originally the Vong were going to be darksiders). But if they were, keep the alien force users a minority, still showing plenty of the enemies ranks as non-force sensitive. Leaders of this faction that are not darksiders. But I would also be ok with an enemy that isn't a force using threat.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Durge27 and Darth_Diealot like this.
  19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    No.

But perhaps they'll use some of the YV ideas in other productions.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think they could be modified to be a villain for our time. Make them a threat from outside the galaxy, one that can’t be sensed through the Force, but instead of making them religious extremists who reject technology and believe pain brings them closer to their god...make them the extremists who run on conspiracy theories and reject science.

Durge27 likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    If they are not connected to the force no thanks let them be erased like rest of the EU is.

Jolee Bindo likes this.
  22. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    But they are connected to the Force. Just not the way the Jedi understand. At first.

Wildcatbarry and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    pls explain?

Jimbing likes this.
  24. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Being a “Legends” reader from basically the start...I honestly wouldn’t care to see another set of characters face the Vong...(I know...I know...get over it)

But I will never forget reading about Luke and co facing off against this threat, even the Imperial Remnant characters had some great scenes.

I honestly think this was a lost opportunity by Disney...but, whatever, can’t go back now.

Jimbing and Riv_Shiel like this.
  25. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Now what if the threat is humanity itself?
    Please remember this is a galaxy far. far away and the Star Wars version is not one humanity originated from or has that point changed too?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020