main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT On Falcon's Wings - Han Solo - Summer Olympics entry

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Jul 7, 2020.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: On Falcon's Wings
    Author: brodiew
    Featured Character: Han Solo
    Timeframe: Post Solo, Pre ANH
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Humor
    Challenge: Fan Fiction Summer Olympics

SW Triathlon
    400 Word Cross Country

Index

Restraint

Han Solo was no stranger to the Outer Rim. Well, that's what he told beings who inquired. And many did. He was new to Tatooine, but no one needed to know he was new. He had one big score under his belt and that had opened a few doors. Sadly, it had not opened the door to Jabba's Palace, which was where he heard all the credits were stored. More specifically, where the real money was to be made. Jabba's representative had brushed him aside, explaining that the Almighty Jabba only works with the best and that Solo was more like a child wanting to eat that the table for adults.

This chafed the young smuggler and it took all the restraint he had not to blast the arrogant Rodian in his considerable snout. That restraint ended up being his very intuitive partner, Chewbacca the Wookiee. As the shaggy giant had later relayed, he had seen Han's uneasy smirk, his dismissive shake of the head, and most importantly, his hand slide toward his blaster.

Chewbacca was not subtle. At all. He had not stayed Han's hand with his furry paw. He had not tried to steer the conversation in a different direction. He not even suggested that Han use the refresher to gain some perspective. No, those would have been too easy. Those options would have given Han the ability to save face. But, his partner, the frenetic fuzzball, had showed his agreement with the rather rude Rodian, by jerking Han up by his collar and removing Him from the table, and subsequently the establishment.

When the two were safely outside and Solo had straightened his vest and run his hand through his hair, he turned on the Wookiee and pointed an angry finger into his face.

“Don't ever kriffing do that again, Chewbacca?” Solo barked. “I have a reputation to uphold!”

[Or what?] the Wookiee taunted.

Solo lowered his arm and hitched his pants as he stared at the dusty ground trying to think of a clever come back. It never materialized and Chewbacca huffed in his mirth at the boy's vexation.

[You were going to kill him, Han,] Chewbacca said soberly. [That would have been bad. Very bad. You have to learn how to control your emotions. Otherwise, you may end up on the wrong side someone else's lack of control. Understand?]

“Just don't do that again.”

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent characterizations and very plausible reactions from each =D=

3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Great start to your triathlon! You always do such a great job with Han's characterization, and this is no exception. It's fun to see a young Han here trying to get his foot in the door in the smuggling world, using all of his sabacc bluffing skills, only to be told by Jabba's representative (Greedo?) that he's small topatoes,and sitting at the metaphorical kiddie table [face_laugh] It's a good thing that Chewie is there to restrain Han from shooting first in the unsubtle and very physical way that only a Wookiee could. But he's a smart Wookiee because he realizes just how bad it would be for Han to go around blasting everyone who annoys him, particularly those annoying functionaries who serve as gatekeepers for powerful crimelords!
    Love this exchange and just how unimpressed Chewie is with his partner's anger. :D He's right, of course, and Han knows it. And his muttered "Don't do it agian" shows he knows Chewie is right about everything. Not the first time the Wookiee has saved his bacon, and definitely not the last!

Great job; I look forward to seeing what else you've got in store for Han!

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    YAY!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I am so, so glad that you decided to delve in and give the Olympics a try. This is off to a great start, and, of course, in your trademark brodie way your voice for Han is already spot on accurate. Not that I expected anything less! [face_love]

To begin, I really liked this glimpse of Han trying to build on his name and reputation. He's bucked against not being enough and wanting more for a lifetime now. It's completely understandable that he's going to fume when Jabba's representative shoes him away like rabble - even to a dangerous degree. But, thankfully, cooler heads prevailed here, even if those are cooler Wookiee heads. :p

Ha! I loved the image of this; I could perfectly envision the entire scene, and the dialogue that followed was perfect. Because Chewie right - and Han knows it! - even if it stings to swallow and accept his well meaning counsel.

Excellent work, again, my friend! I can't wait to see where this collection goes next. :D =D=

5. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Thanks for reading and reviewing, Nyota. It's good to be posting again, even if in small doses.
    @Raissa Baiard: Such lovely comments, Raissa. Thank you. I'm glad you like the young Han, and Chewie, I present. Han needs a does of humilty and a lesson on restraint. Who better than Chewie to give it to him. This Rodian is not Greedo. :)
    @Mira_Jade: Success! Thank you, Mira, for the review. Han has a thin skin that he never fully sheds, but here, it was a potentially disastrous rookie move that needed Chewbacca's intervention.

110 Word Hurdle

Ruined

He sees her mostly from behind and in profile. The sheen of her brown hair and cold glow of her cheek and neck are enough to make him race to her, to spin her around greet her with a healing kiss. Useless fantasy. He knows it cannot be her. She is dead. Killed by his own hand. He vowed never to love again and has been faithful to that vow. Some time with his Old Buddy helped him bury the pain. He wasn't stupid, though. No amount of short lived flings would erase her. She could not be erased from him; only shoved down deep enough to ruin his heart.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Poignant and heart-tugging. Guilt and grief mingle to bring about a permanent heartache. [face_thinking]

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and brodiew like this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love what you are showing with Han and Chewie

8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I am glad that you are taking part in this summer Olympics, @brodiew, because folk with Celtic blood are great conjurers of words and magic thus creating new worlds. Well met! :D

9. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Thanks, Nyota! This referenced Qi'ra if that was not obvious enough. I appreciate you comment.
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you for the thumbs up, earlybird. This has been fun.
    @AzureAngel2: Much appreciated, AzureAngel2. High praise.

FanFiction Summer Olympics
    Prime Time 500+

Under the Gun

Han Solo had never had to fake insanity before. He felt like there was enough of an innate instability that kept things interesting. However, when faced with five spacers whom you swindled to add a new rectenna to the Falcon, a little improvisation was necessary to knock them off their guard.

He punched at the air and howled like a loth-wolf. He tore at this flight jacket and kicked at invisible creatures at his feet. He lolled his tongue at them and spat in their direction, causing the spacers to pause from drawing their blaster and shooting him dead on the spot.

“What is this, Solo?” growled an overweight spacer in black, which was not thinning at all. “A cheap acting class? I could do better than spitting and kicking.”

Han's face suddenly straightened and a keen light returned to his eyes. “No doubt, Challer. But it turns out this class was not as cheap as your life.” Han drew his DL-44 faster than anyone could see and shot the portly loudmouth between the eyes.

The other merchants drew their weapons and fired in Han's direction, but he was firing again as he ran to the other side of the alley. Ducking behind a stack of cargo containers, he peered out to see the remaining four advancing quickly. He stood and pushed on the top two containers hoping they would be lighter than they were. Straining and putting all of his muscle into it, he heaved the cartons over. Crouching, he peeked around again to find two of his assailants laying still on the ground. He fire two more shots and winged an Aquailsh in the neck causing him go down.

The container he was hiding behind was taking repeated fire and knew he would have to move before the Bith with the big gun got to him. Searching his immediate area, he discovered a round refuse bin lid on the duracrete behind him. He wondered if banging on it would give the Bith pause or just enough time to round the corner. He had no more time. He wrapped in the flimsy metal lid and rose it above the level of the container. Instantly, two blaster bold perforated the lid, one smoking hold not centimeters from his wrist. Discarding the lid, Han jumped up and blasted two holes in the Bith's torso, knocking him back a couple of steps before falling down dead.

The, sudden, burning pain in Han's shoulder screamed in concordance with his hiss at it's presence. The Aqualish was not dead and now Han's shirt and jacket were ruined, not to mention hole in his arm. Rolling to his left, which caused him to scream like a little girl, gave him new cover behind a tall stack of crates containing what looked like ale and spingwine bottles. Suddenly it wasn't heated metal burning his nostrils it was shards of glass raining down in this head. That Aqualish needed to die and Han needed to get back the Falcon, Chewie, and out of this system.

He looked again and saw the being holding his neck with one hand and his blaster with the other. Grabbing a bottle, he through it across the alley. Simultaneously, he tugged a small dagger from his right boot. The momentary distraction gave Han the time to throw the dagger, which struck the other being high in the chest. Han emerged and fired three successive blasts in the Aqualish, making sure it was over. Looking around the alley, three being were dead and two were unconscious. He would not kill an unconscious being. Hitching his shoulder and then holding his wounded arm with the other, he left the alley and head straight to the spaceport.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    a great fight between Han and his adversaries. Action!

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great action for the Prime Time entry

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  12. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    What an awesome job on this triathlon!

"Restraint": Perfect Han characterization, as some of the others mentioned, and of course Chewie ends up saving the day and giving him some good advice on top of it!

"Ruined": This one is so sad! Poor Han. :(

"Under The Gun": Oh my gosh, this was such a great read! I'm in awe of anyone who writes action, especially when it's written so well! I felt like I was watching a movie.

Once again, you've got Han down perfectly! This is such a great way to finish off your triathlon.

Excellent work! =D=

Kahara likes this.
  13. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    This made me LOL. I could definitely see Chewie hauling the unruly Han away from a situation that had him in over his head and not recognizing it. =D=

Sage adivce from Chewie. Love the relationship between them. Chewie is always looking out for his buddy. :)

So sad. Tugged at the heartstrings. :_|

Han always shoots first! [face_laugh]

Wonderful look at Han and at Han and Chewie's friendship. Fantastic contribution to the challenge. ^:)^

14. JadeSphera

JadeSphera Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2018
    Restraint - I love your portrayal of a young Han Solo here, and how Chewie has always got his back. :cool:

Ruined - Oh... This is so heart breaking! =(( I can feel Han's raw pain so deeply. Excellent job with this piece =D=

Under the Gun - I could smell the residual ozone of blaster fire in this one! Great Han Solo action, just the way he only can be :cool:

It was great to read your work. You know Han very well and it shows ^:)^
    Congratulations on completing your Triathlon! [face_party][face_dancing]=D=

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  15. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Good work.
    The action piece in particular gives us really a nice view in Han's character. That he is a scoundrel who wouldn't hesitant to use violence and of course to "shoot first" but also someone who wouldn't kill someone who is unconscious and defensless.