main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy Thriller OPEN The Calm Before the Storm - Dieselpunk, Urban Fantasy

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by TheAdmiral, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    OOC: Please, forgive the double post. *bows low*

Cinna Crystalglade IC:

~Imperial Palace, Basileus~

To walk upon the fabled halls and corridors of the Imperial Palace was, as always, of the utmost honor. To do so as a nobleman and a fairie in addition? Unfathomably so. Cinna had no illusions as to what most of the nobility thought of him.

And with such objective windows into their souls and innermost thoughts despite all their veiled smiles and batted eyelashes, he could ply a far stronger charade of his own. A little glamouri, a little charisma, and the enigmatic nature of his species that preceded him far and wide.

And they had no idea what to do with him. Nor would they ever if he had his way. But the court was tumultuous and chaotic, even to him, no matter how serene and secure it looked to those on the outside. Nobility and royalty had always been a gilded cage in which the ‘little preening birds’ could squawk and peck at each other in tiny degrees until they passed, simply to be replaced by more.

But if one was smart. If one was innovative. Persuasive. Reactive and proactive in equal measure, yet eternally unassuming in most regards…You could hold the golden key to escape and by your own industriousness, release yourself to fly circles around all those within. To this he aspired, not in part, but in full.

How that would look? Well. He planned on showing the world.

But all in due time. There was yet songs to tweet, feathers to shake, and dances to take. For he too, was a little preening bird. For now.

“Oh…”

A stumbling form pressed into him, not quite as strongly as it outwardly appeared, causing him to release himself from his reverie. The pretty blonde had come from around the corner, as if materializing out of thin air.

“I am sorry m’lord.”

Lord Crystalblade took a small step as if to regain his balance, but managed to wrap a steadying hand around the royal handmaiden. This young woman known as Anna.

A dance to take.

“Quite all right, my dear. Please, it was my fault for losing myself in the clouds,” he intoned lightly with a smile meeting the shine in his eyes.

“I was told to give you this.” A whisper of urgency and a hidden exchange as the envelope found itself thrust expertly into his waiting hand, which fluidly tucked it away in his back pocket.

Cinna however continued nonplussed as if nothing had occurred, letting go of the handmaiden swiftly enough to not have appeared to hold her overlong, leaning a little on his cane. He had a response to give, to play the game for any around. But it seemed there was more. So he allowed her to make the overture.

“Also, I was informed that Her Majesty, the Empress would like to see you in the solarium.”

He paused a little, taking this new information into his mind, rolling it around and letting it settle where it may. The fairie noble replied promptly.

“But of course. I shall see Her Majesty at once, thank you,” a slight pause again and the corners of his lips tilted smoothly, “As usual, the Princess has the prettiest and most indulgent of servants. I find myself envious! Do carry on. Carry on! Send my regards to your fellow ladies and the Princess herself!”

The best way to keep the servants happy and loyal was the best way to keep fellow nobles happy and cordial. Praises and compliments. Always praises and compliments. They were one’s sword and one’s shield in this gilded life.

As such, these words should content to keep lovely Anna ever the quiet and loyal for the rendezvouses between himself and Jori. Simple strokes for simple folks and the world could keep turning in its way. The more complicated require more delicate consideration and in the end, all together they would blend to create such a masterpiece, he yearned to see its finished tapestry upon history.

A song to tweet.

Parting ways, he first found a nice shaded corner amid the palace and set himself down upon a wide window ledge; making sure there was no one about. Something he made sure of at least thrice. Then he slipped open the envelope and scanned it quickly, before tucking it and its gifted rose petal (to which he pinched between his index finger and thumb, giving it the briefest of smells as he held it to his nose for a second…Ah. Its flowery scent was beautiful, but it also contained her scent as well. He swore it.) away in his pocket once more.

Politics had been managed and now, once again, they could meet at their spot. The little villa reserved for them and them alone. Oh, how he had waited! He knew she was not avoiding him intentionally, he knew how this all worked. Yet now he could breathe easy nevertheless.

Sitting back up, readjusting his cane and hat, he made his way to the solarium. First, he need palaver with the Empress herself. His lover’s mother and one of the most dangerous for him to confer with. In more ways than one.

But the tides of the game were ever in motion and he would meet them however he must. For while the Empress could be a dangerous opponent, so too could she be cajoled and appeased into being the most potent of allies.

A feather to shake.

Cinna Crystalglade clucked his tongue and allowed his smile to precede him as he tread the cage that was the Palace. A little hum to hang in the air around him. Something he did often, so none could ever tell if he was truly happy or merely being a typical eclectic fairie.

Tag: Anna and anyone else along the way, if none, then Empress Atreus & Count Vanhetgoud? @TheAdmiral @darthbernael

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Keela
    Aboard the Enterprise

“Willing to indulge in the company of strangers?”

Keela’s mind flashed to all the times she’d sat in a bar after playing a set of several songs, drinking with merriment and swapping tales with travelers and ne’er do wells whose names she’d either never gotten or couldn’t remember, tossing dice and slapping down cards, pushing in chips and throwing in jewelry when she had nothing else to barter, slapping away a man’s hand when he wanted to play with the pointy ends of her ears, wrapping her arms around drunkards and kicking out her legs on the dance floor as the piano man played an uptempo number and they all sang along with their slurred voices and misremembered lyrics until the bartender said it was time to go, and waking up next to the snoring man who’d won her jewelry the night before and wondering how stupid he felt when he awoke to find all his winnings gone. Indulging in the company of strangers was her favorite pastime.

“Always,” Keela responded to the Felinoid’s question with a smile and a hint of mischief. “Name’s Keela.” She held out her hand, remembering her surprise when she’d discovered that Felinoids had normal humanoid hands and not paws like typical cats. What a world.

Tag: @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Princess Jori Atreus

Jori gave a small smile to the Fairie and nodded to her. She followed the Detective and sat comfortably in the offered chair. The Princess ignored the fact that the man seemingly had forgotten how to behave with royalty present, nor did she care for such nonsense. Jori half-turned to his assistant and gestured for her to sit as well. There was no need for such formalities, especially now that she was here incognito.

“I should have expected that you would not be surprised by my presence here.” there was a hint of a smirk on her lips as she took the looking glass from the desk, exploring it a bit. The whole office was fascinating so many interesting things and she felt rather giddy, her ever present curiosity piqued.

“I must be brief.” Jori said with a sigh as she placed the item back and looked at Andrath “So I will go directly to business.” she paused for a second “You must have heard that there is a synthetic draconium being sold here in Basileum.” she rummaged through her small handbag and fished out a small vial “It is virtually identical to the real thing, but is highly addictive.” Jori pursed her lips “I had to confiscate it from a servant at the Palace.” she stated matter-of-factly.

“You might wonder why I came to you and not to the police.” she leaned forward a bit, whispering conspiratorially “They have been dragging their feet and I fear that there is something more behind this and I know your reputation as an incorruptible man, I am sure that you will get at the bottom of this.” her smile broadened a bit “Of course there will be a reward and the official gratitude of the Imperial Family.” she placed the vial on the desk and looked for something else in the handbag “Here is a letter signed by me that you are acting on my authority, but please use it only if the situation is too dire. You will be granted access to the Palace, under supervision of course, but still.”

She placed the envelope next to the vial “Now I am sure you have questions...”

TAG: @Darth_Elu @Ktala

IC: Grand Cleric of the Aeldari Ulthwe
    Location: Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

The masked man was getting on his nerves “We are well aware of what you have built.” he said acidly “But we are behind schedule” he paced around “The Lesser Races are stupider and greedier than we anticipated.” he gave a dry chuckle “They were more susceptible to the manipulation than we have anticipated and war is brewing.” Ulthwe paused and looked at the Patriarch.

“But first you should find a way to deal with traitors.” Ulthwe agreed “I will remain here for the time being overseeing the next stage.” he smirked, that would surely irk the Patriarch as there was no love lost between the two of them. “I was informed that you will get the ample source soon enough.” the Aeldari knew that he had to start with this, but he was not there to please him.

TAG: @Shadowsun

IC: Professor Johanness Petreus
    On-board the exploration vessel “Enterprise”

The Old Man observed Pascale for a second then pushed back his glasses with his index finger “You seem to be having friends in high places.” he stated bitterly “This journey will be a chance for you to make amends for your past misdeeds.” the Professor said dryly.

He managed to stand up with a grunt, the old age was not so forgiving and started pacing around the cabin “Indeed, that is a historic occasion.” Johannes gave a small smile and reached for an old tome “Are you familiar with the works of Elisander the Golden.” he placed in front of the younger man.

“He was a Dragon, but he was also an explorer.” he gave an enigmatic smile “He had tried to survey those lands, but was not able to get too far it seems.” the Old Man sighed “There are some accounts of the tribes, of course many centuries had passed since then, but it is a good start.” he wanted to give Pascale the benefit of the doubt “If you have not read the book I will loan it to you.” he looked him in the eyes “Though be careful, this is an old copy and I don’t want to see it destroyed, it is very hard finding it.” the Professor gave a sad look “It is a fascinating reading, the Dragons surely were remarkable beings, but that is another matter.” he leaned forward to whisper “What worries me is that the accounts about the so called Ancient Ones are missing.” hopefully he will get the hint and its relation to their expedition.

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox

OOC: The next batch of TAGs will come later today or tomorrow the latest, thank you for your patience!

4. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Zanna Wai'leena
    Orkon Boulevard

Zanna took a seat after the Princess did and after her companion had waved to her as well. Zanna felt quickly took a seat, noting the woman. So far she presented a quite agreeable front. She leaned forward slightly, listening to every word the woman said while watching her, without trying to stare at her.

“I should have expected that you would not be surprised by my presence here.” Princess Jori stated, with a hint of a smirk on her lips. Zanna noted she picked up the looking glass from Andrath's desk, inspecting it. OOO... Zanna held in a grin. Andrath didn't usually like people fondling over things on his desk, but for royalty, he would have to take stock of that. Well, at least he would have a collection of her fingermarks to preserve as a souvenier. Actually the Princess seemed quite taken with all the things Andrath had collected during all of his investigations and cases. Even Zanna had to admit it was quite an eclectic grouping.

“I must be brief.” Jori said with a sigh as she placed the item back and looked at Andrath “So I will go directly to business.” she paused for a second “You must have heard that there is a synthetic draconium being sold here in Basileum.” she rummaged through her small handbag and fished out a small vial “It is virtually identical to the real thing, but is highly addictive.” Jori pursed her lips “I had to confiscate it from a servant at the Palace.” she stated matter-of-factly.

Zanna had only heard rumblings of such a thing, and she considered it a old wives tale. After all, why in the 7 moons would you want to make the stuff addictive. It's hard to get stuff as it is. The real stuff did strange enough things to those not magically inclined. And more to even those who were! But the Princess DID say it was 'virtually identical' to the real thing, but addictive. Zanna figured, like any drug, then you had buyers. Stars and bars of a mage ever got hooked on the stuff! That could be dangerous indeed! But then another thought came to Zanna. Why would a servant have it? OOooo questions started bouncing off her brain, as she leaned forward slightly, to examine the contents, and to see if she could feel anything .. "magical' about it. But she knew better not to touch it before Andrath, no matter how curious she was. She would wait for her turn. She would get the chance. Or pester him to death about it.

The Princess continued.

“You might wonder why I came to you and not to the police.” she leaned forward a bit, whispering conspiratorially “They have been dragging their feet and I fear that there is something more behind this and I know your reputation as an incorruptible man, I am sure that you will get at the bottom of this.” her smile broadened a bit “Of course there will be a reward and the official gratitude of the Imperial Family.”

Oh zales! Zanna swore she could see Andrath's head expand under that comment! She was glad she was holding down her wings, or she would have been circling the ceiling right now with excitement. Was she actually trying to play to his ego?

Princes Jori placed the vial on the desk and looked for something else in the handbag “Here is a letter signed by me that you are acting on my authority, but please use it only if the situation is too dire. You will be granted access to the Palace, under supervision of course, but still.” Oh she was sure that Andrath would be keeping THAT close to him. But the interesting thing would be where to begin? With the servant, she took it from? She doubted they would give up their source. Check with the police skats? Naah. Then again, there was no guarantee that he would take the bloody case. From her earlier statement, it sounds like they would have to track this away from the palace since she seemed not to want it widely know. Worried about a scandal perhaps?

The Princess placed the envelope next to the vial “Now I am sure you have questions...” Zanna calmly leaned back in her seat, with only her eyes giving any type of hint of her true feelings. Andrath had warned her to be on her best behavior, and with the Princess sitting mere inches from her was so exciting.

But.

Something didn't feel right. Oh Zales has she been around Andrath THAT long?! But perhaps she was wrong about the nagging feeling. Zanna started looking out the window, as she waited for what was most likely to be a flurry of questions from Andrath.

TAG: @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral

5. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Prince Arturias Atreus
    Location: On-board the HIMAS “Aquila”, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

The Prince chuckled softly and patted the Captain on the shoulder. “If I didn't know better I would have thought you were complaining.” he grinned. Arturias hated the formalities that came with his status. His step-sister loved being a member of the Royal Family, but not he. Oh he loved his father and respected his step-mother and sister, but hated the institution.

“To be honest, I am not sure whether or not they are too happy with being part of the Empire.” he said. Good thing no one else from the crew could hear them “I think I see the point of being sent there with the Aquila.” the Prince said solemnly “I hope I am wrong about that though.”

“Captain, Your Highness!” the communications officer came by carrying a piece of paper “We got a radio-gram from the retranslator station Sigma-15.” the officer saluted and handed it to Terric.

It stated that they were to change course and fly near the island of the Lizardmen. “Problems, Captain?” the Prince asked.

IC: Lieutenant Tyler Petreus

The Lieutenant leaned with his back on the railings. “I am afraid things will not be much better at Aleyas.” he sighed “But I am sure your beauty will endure the hardships that we are going to encounter.” Tyler smiled warmly.

“It is a wild place that continent.” he continued “As you know we have surveyed only a small portion of it.” the Lieutenant looked at Delfina “We will be going South in the jungles. There are several outposts there and we know of one tribe - the Iatzi, they are taller than us, with blue skin and feline features, but hardly any fur. They are one of the few people who are willing to communicate with us, or so that is what my grandfather telling me.” he smirked “Anyway, we will be exploring some ancient temples and lost cities.” Tyler leaned to whisper in confidence “There are rumours of that they are somehow related to the Ancient Ones.” he said seriously “Also there are Thunder Lizards roaming those lands.” those were distant but mindless cousins of the Lizardmen and came in quite the variety “But don’t worry me and my boys are here to protect you.” he grinned.

“The central parts and the Northern ones are prairies, forests, mountains and a frozen wasteland.” he shrugged “I don’t think we are going to venture there, unless we find something in the South to lead us.”

He heard the booming voice of the dwarven engineer and gave a silent groan. He did not want him to interact with Lady Delfina as he had such a foul mouth and he would surely hurt her sensibilities. Tyler turned and saw him walking with the other elven woman and the felinoid. The dwarf was spouting some nonsense and laughing loudly. The others were trying to pretend they were not with him by the looks of them. “I see our companions are in a festive mood.” he smiled at his companion.

TAG: @Mistress_Renata @Reynar_Tedros @Darth_Elu

IC: Chief Engineer Mieli Hartsson

“Yes, I am talking to you two, tree hugger!” he said annoyedly at Keela “You want some ale or not?” he grinned again “That goes for you too kittycat.” Mieli turned to the Giniro. It seems they were trying to ignore him, hmpf, typical long-legs. If only there was a band of his compatriots they were going to have so much fun, but they did not want to venture beyond the ocean, new open lands held no interest to them. So he would have to suffer with these guys and gals.

They climbed on top. He tried to break the ice by telling a rather obscene joke, which of course did not elicit the reaction he was looking for, tough crowd. Mieli looked up towards the upper decks and saw the Lt. and that pretty blonde half-elf. The human man was drooling all over her for some time now. The dwarf of course did not see the appeal, but people were entitled to their wrong opinions and bad taste. And of course that meant there will be more gorgeous dwarven women for him. A sobering thought passed through his mind, there were none on board…

Mieli sighed and waved to Tyler “Hey, Lt., would you and the Missus like to join us for a drink? Hehehe”

TAG: @Reynar_Tedros @Darth_Elu @Mistress_Renata

6. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Pascale Rouser

The old man had a bitterness to his tone as he replied back to Pascale and yes perhaps Pascale did have some friends in high places, but also low too. Perhaps it was that time that Pascale had found that ancient idol for the Imperial house that took pride of place in their collection. Or maybe it was one of the other houses whom he had found treasures for, perhaps it was that time he had found a priceless tapestry that he managed to sneak out before his rival even arrived.

Maybe it was a chance to start anew from his previous misadventures or maybe it was time to claim something as finally his. Time would only tell.

The old man stood up and slowly retrieved a tome "Are you familiar with the works of Elisander the Golden.”

Not really he thought, he had read many books and bits and pieces in his time but not this one.

“He was a Dragon, but he was also an explorer.” he gave an enigmatic smile “He had tried to survey those lands, but was not able to get too far it seems.” the Old Man sighed “There are some accounts of the tribes, of course many centuries had passed since then, but it is a good start.”

Any information of course was a good start. Any tribes they encountered would no doubt maybe not had any dealings with anybody at all or menial contact with people at least. Could they welcome them? Or could it all end up going horribly wrong at the start. Plus he would love to hear any talkies regarding god’s legendary artifacts or temples and maybe even how to reach them. Pascale didn't know what the rest of the team would think about all this.

“If you have not read the book I will loan it to you.” he looked him in the eyes “Though be careful, this is an old copy and I don’t want to see it destroyed, it is very hard finding it.” The Professor gave a sad look “It is a fascinating reading, the Dragons surely were remarkable beings, but that is another matter.” he leaned forward to whisper “What worries me is that the accounts about the so called Ancient Ones are missing.”

Pascale smiled his blue eyes twinkling “I would love to read his book. Some of what you have said to me intrigues me and it would be….fascinating to learn more about what Elisander discovered. It could help us on our expedition. Whether the others would appreciate it is another story”.

He then frowned “But why are the accounts regarding the Ancient Ones missing? Was it removed before you bought or took the book? Because if we have no information regarding these Ancient Ones then we won’t know how to approach them unlike maybe the tribes. Are these Ancient Ones human or other creatures? Why were they called Ancient Ones? Did they worship a God or deity, did they make sacrifices or keep any treasures that they considered sacred?”

Pascale made a gesture with his hand as if maybe it was all moot now “So we are perhaps to find these Ancient Ones and maybe perhaps modernize Elisanders book with up to date information? Or does a certain royal house or maybe houses want to know what’s out there so they can clamor over themselves for the prize. But thy will only get this information one way…”

“When I am done with it”.

TAG: @TheAdmiral

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Keela
    Aboard the Enterprise

Keela looked up at the two others to whom the dwarf was shouting, and was taken aback by the beauty of both of them. The man, whom the dwarf called Lieutenant, tall, muscular, handsome; the woman (the dwarf’s laughter after he called her “the missus” indicated the lack of truth in his choice of nomenclature), lithe, innocent, and... elvish?

Keela could practically feel the arrogant bravado oozing off of the man, smell the cheap cologne he doubtlessly doused himself in before coming aboard, seeking out the prey that he found in the poor elvish girl, who was utterly hopeless against his time honored tricks and deceptions disguised as chivalry. Keela both pitied and desired her, as the dimples of her smile sent a chill down her spine from the deck below. She wondered how the woman would make her feel if they were to get closer.

“The Missus” was the kind of woman hopelessly romantic men wrote songs about in their dreams. “The Lieutenant” was the kind of man scorned women wrote songs about in their nightmares.

At least, Keela assumed these things. She’d yet to meet either one of them, and had to acknowledge the possibility that her impressions were completely off base. Perhaps the man was the helpless one and the woman the relentless charmer out on the hunt. But she doubted it. Keela was quite proud of her ability to judge the character of a person at first glance, and the skill rarely betrayed her.

Either way, she desperately hoped they’d join them for drinks. Between the two of them, the dwarf, and the Felinoid, Keela could be in for quite the evening indeed.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata, @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral

8. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    OOC: Took a few minor liberties with the naming of certain things and a fighting style. I hope this is ok, if not, it can easily be redone differently!

Giniro J’andra IC:
    ~Deck of the Enterprise, Open Sea~

It took only a moment for the elven woman next to him to respond to his question. A smile and easygoing sense about her accompanied her words.

“Always. Name’s Keela.”

Taking the offered hand, the felinoid shook it. “Giniro.”

Before they could get any further and before he could turn around to speak more to the dwarf, the engineer butted in himself rather gruffly. Typical dwarf.

“Yes, I am talking to you two, tree hugger! You want some ale or not? That goes for you too kittycat.”

Letting out a small sniff of annoyance, Giniro nodded anyway. Swishing his tail lightly, he moved toward him and motioned for the man to lead the way.

“I am curious what kind of ale you have on board,” he confessed while giving Keela a look and a shrug right after.

“Especially depending on how long we’re going to be stuck onboard.”

As they moved along the Enterprise, they passed close to where a human man and woman were speaking. It seemed like they had been flirting rather heavily with one another by his guess. The feline man smiled at this.

And why not?

“Hey, Lt., would you and the Missus like to join us for a drink? Hehehe”

Giniro bowed a little due to the presence of the woman who was also quite obviously noble in stature. It was not everyday that he had the opportunity to even be in the presence of nobility without being pushed away. What curious chances this trip was already giving!

“The more the merrier!” he stated happily.

Tag: Keela, Mieli, Lieutenant Petreus, & Lady Delfina @Reynar_Tedros @TheAdmiral @Mistress_Renata

Andrath Inageiros IC:
    ~Mind’s Rest, Basileus~

Andrath sat leisurely in his chair, leaning back slightly, and resting his arms upon the rests in an easy manner. He smiled as both Zanna and Princess Jori did as well and got themselves situated. It did not take long for the lady of royalty to get back to business, which he very much appreciated.

"I should have expected that you would not be surprised by my presence here.”

The elven man across from her mirrored her smirk, allowing a hint of pride in his skill already being acknowledged, and inclined his head faintly.

“Indeed.”

That was all he said, but his mind raced back over the clues that had screamed themselves out to him. The automobile, a Duin Moidir Royce, as previously remarked upon. Not too many could afford such a luxury. High nobility at the least right from that first sight. It had narrowed things down to only a handful of Houses from the start.

An orc bodyguard, another clue of nobility or at least of wealthy standing. Merely a cementing of the above. His armor and weapons of pristine quality and remarkable upkeep, thus appearance was of great concern alongside function. Again, this pointed toward high nobility at the least. The stance the guard had utilized was of a deceptively easygoing posture that seemed nonchalant, but in truth very alert and would give him but a second to respond to any threat. The tells? Why they were everywhere! The condition of both the armor and weapons again, his position as a personal bodyguard once more, his back placed purposely to the wall surrounding Mind’s Rest, his right foot to the rear yet left a step to step and a half before it. Despite the upper body’s posture, his legs and placement of feet were firm and clearly mindful. To do such casually spoke of much training, drilling this into the man’s head and muscles. His eyes swiftly glanced about every two seconds or so, betraying his alertness. Furthermore, one hand had been relaxing behind his head and the other just hanging neatly by his side.

Aha! But he had a war maul strapped to his back and a short sword to his hip, both just “happening” to be near his hands. Those two weapons together and the feet’s exact placing betrayed the ability to pivot in either direction fluidly and lethally. For a guard of such stature and all these other factors combined showed he was of the Ur Traka discipline. This was only taught to those in the royal guard or similar positions.

His guest was royalty then. This was confirmed by the fact that his housekeeper had already allowed them inside before he and Zanna had arrived themselves. She did not normally do that, this would give a very good explanation as to why she had made an exception this time around.

Final piece of the puzzle now! The fine powder from the tires. Knowing that this person was now royalty and given all his duties and commitments, especially trouble with the lizard men and other nobles from what he could understand, there was no way it was the Emperor himself. Andrath would have been rather shocked had it been him! The Prince was also, best to his knowledge, off on a trip somewhere. He believed he had tagged along with the new airship if he had heard right.

In any event! It was now down to the ladies of the Imperial Family. That was where the powder came in. You see, being of the royal family, the tire could only come from one place generally speaking. The imperial palace. There were two different garages for the royal family in differing locations, one for the Emperor and Empress and another completely different that held the vehicles that transported the Princess. It was well noted some months ago, or was it a year now? Yes. A year. No matter! That time ago, Princess Jori had requested some of the sand from the Iorian Coastline, which was renown for its fine and soft quality. Went well with certain areas of the gardens she frequented as well was gentle for the hooves of the royal horses. These gardens also happened to be near the garage that housed her transportation vehicle.

And there you have it, residual fine powder aka sand, on the tires and he had himself a positive identification on the royal personage waiting for him to attend them.

Effortlessly simple really.

Now onto the present once more. Which had the Princess inspecting his looking glass. Had it been anyone else, well except for also Zanna perhaps; he would have snapped at her to put it back, if she please. His things were not meant to be touched and fiddled with! They had a purpose, a place, a reason for….oh, forget it. Royalty. Sigh. Zanna was probably highly amused at it, she’d know exactly how he was feeling.

A quick glance her way. Yep. She was positively fluttering with mischief in her eyes. Was it truly mischief? Well, he was putting it down as mischief in his book at any rate.

“I must be brief.”

But of course. A royal had much to attend to. This was already rather off the cuff for her so to speak, as it was.

“So I will go directly to business. You must have heard that there is a synthetic draconian being sold here in Basileum.”

He leaned forward with a nod as she rummaged in her handbag. Could it be? Did she actually…And there it was. A small vial held in her palm. The actual synthetic before him, a rumored substance finally corporeally in his reach!

“It is virtually identical to the real thing, but is highly addictive. I had to confiscate it from a servant at the Palace.”

Andrath’s brown eyes briefly flicked back up to the Princess’ fair face before returning to the vial. That was an interesting little detail there.

“You might wonder why I came to you and not to the police.”

Not really. Bumbling fools, one and all. Most of their hearts were in the right place, he supposed, but as for their proficiency…it was all he could do but come to the frank conclusion that their heads were perpetually far up their—

“They have been dragging their feet and I fear that there is something more behind this and I know your reputation as an incorruptible man, I am sure that you will get at the bottom of this.”

It wasn’t so much incorruptible as all the normal things that would tempt a man or woman simply held no meaning for him. Really. It was all dull, bland, and numbingly repetitive. In short, he just didn’t have time for such trivial things.

“Of course there will be a reward and the official gratitude of the Imperial Family.”

Naturally! He allowed himself a smile and an understanding nod. Now, he hadn’t gone looking for such a case or official recognition from the Imperial Family, but come now! It was only about time that such a logical thing be reached! He did not need their reward, but he would certainly take it all the same.

He continued smiling without knowing it.

Zanna’s rising excitement was also so palpable as she placed the vial atop his desk, he could nearly taste it. The elf’s eyes practically zeroed in the object, like a hungry predator, yet he refrained from grasping it. For the moment. She was fishing for something else. Most curious.

“Here is a letter signed by me that you are acting on my authority, but please use it only if the situation is too dire. You will be granted access to the Palace, under supervision of course, but still.”

Oh yes. Yes, yes, yes. That would come in most useful. Now and in the future, quite likely. The detective had a suspicion that the Princess didn’t realize quite the level the treasure trove she had just gifted him with. He was not one to argue it however.

“Now I am sure you have questions…”

To be used in such a manner by the Princess was, to put it succinctly, an honor. There were political machinations at play here. Of that, he had no doubt. But the vial, the envelope, the lure of royal gratitude, and above all! The mystery of this ongoing rumor at last laid before him. It had all been packaged nice and neatly for him.

If he must play the canine lunging for the bone, then for this moment, he would. However cases could easily get away from the ones who requested it in a manner much like a canine running ahead of their leash. It would be intriguing to see how this all played out and ended.

Intriguing indeed.

Unable to contain himself any longer, he took the vial from the desk and began to look at it closely. Turning it this way and that, looking for any perceptible marks of well…anything really. How close to the real thing did it seem? Its color, the quantity within, the make of the glass, any insignias or marks of any kind upon the vial?

“Of course, m’lady,” he replied calmly as he examined the object in his hands, “There are quite a few. I have heard the rumors, but how long has this been going on to the Imperial Family’s knowledge? Any known areas of reportedly high usage? Whom else knows you have come to me? And this servant you said you had it taken from…I need more.”

He paused and leaned forward again, sliding the vial over to his fairie friend. She would most likely want to take a look at it herself.

“Name. Position and duties. How long have they been under your employ and where was the vial actually confiscated from? From them directly or somewhere they had it stashed? If so, where? If directly, where were they when it occurred and whom did the confiscating?”

He smiled once more, genuinely upbeat at this wondrous mystery given to him. “For starters, of course.”

Today was a good day he decided.

Tag: Princess Jori & Zanna @TheAdmiral @Ktala

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  9. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Milos Terric
    Location: Bridge, HIMAS Aquila, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

The Prince chuckled softly and patted the Captain on the shoulder. “If I didn't know better I would have thought you were complaining.” he grinned.

Milos smiled back and chuckled “Me complain?. Oh no Your Highness, I don’t call it complaining. Call it a very astute observation if you will” which was probably the pilote way of saying he was as bored as hell and wanted to do something. There were only so many times where he could walk up and down the bridge chatting, doing inspections and staring out of the window before it all became a bit tedious.

And what was still plaguing his mind was the rumbles of dissent coming from his colleagues in the Navy. Tht the Imperial House was beginning to falter under the Emperors reign, that they needed a stronger leader, that the military deserved a stronger leader. Terrific dismissed it all for now but if this continued it could be more dangerous. Maybe the young Prince was aware of it, maybe not.

“To be honest, I am not sure whether or not they are too happy with being part of the Empire.” The Prince spoke quietly so the other crew members could not hear them both which Terric was slightly glad about as this was probably a private conversation “I think I see the point of being sent there with the Aquila.” the Prince said solemnly “I hope I am wrong about that though.”

Terrific the Prince was wrong in that fact “This ship might as well had “Bow Down To Us” written in blood on the bow. I’m all for improving the military but not making such a statement that we have suddenly become conquerors not people that could be allies. Your father could have sent a steamship not us. I wonder what the intention was but luckily things went without a hitch and you arrived back safely with no arrows or spears in your back”

“Captain, Your Highness!” the communications officer came by carrying a piece of paper “We got a radio-gram from the retranslator station Sigma-15.” the officer saluted and handed it to Terric.

“Thank you,” he said to the comm officer before looking at the bit of paper placed in his hand. Well well, we are off to see the Lizard men. Another statement cruise or this time to do something? Let’s hope this doesn't get messy.

“Problems, Captain?” the Prince asked, it seemed he had detected that Terric was frowning at the piece of paper.

“Well if you call doing a flyby near the island of the Lizard men a problem I would say yes” Terrific said “And there I was thinking this was probably going to be a quiet shakedown cruise but the Lizard men have put a spanner in it. Maybe perhaps we may get some action after all but I really hope we don’t have to use the weapons. Just giving them a little peep at the Aquila should be fine but I don’t want things to turn hostile unless they initiate it. I’m not here to start a war, i’m here to make sure you get back home in one piece” he smirked “Your father and sister would kill me if you didn't.”

The Princess was beautiful no doubt about it, but Terric would never dare get on the wrong side of her.

10. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    @TheAdmiral APPROVED [face_dancing]

Character Sheet:

Name: Kardis Talathee

Race: Half-Elf

Physical description:

[​IMG]

• Height: 5’9”
    • Weight: 125lbs
    • Skin color: Dark Tan
    • Hair color: Graphite
    • Eye color: Silver Gold
    Personality:

• Quirks: Observant, Calculating, Introspective, Enigmatic, Motivated.
    • Likes/dislikes: ALL knowledge. Ancient by desire and modern by necessity. A good debate, intelligent beings. Dislikes boorishness, ignorance and uselessness. Pollution, irrationality, brutality and dependency.
    • Strengths/weaknesses: Fiercely cunning and intelligent, shrouded in mystery as to keep interested parties ‘guessing’. Is a Powerful Mage, even by current standards, but this is severely downplayed. Does tend to feel a tad unwell whenever near metal for extended periods of time.

Weapons:

Draconium Magicite Ring, Dracomium Blade, Draconium Wand. Draconium potion. Draconium Magicite Necklace.These are employed situationally, aside from other components that may be needed to support or cast a variety of spells. Casting proficiency. Is versed in the Martial Art of her people.

Short Bio: Kardis is a representative envoy from a land far north west, beyond the mountains, a place called Ur Farnatha, ruled by Queen Flemeth. It is unclear if Kardis is in any way related to the Queen. She has come to the prosperous city of Basileus to learn of its ways and its people. Thus far she has shown interest in the Metalworking Industry, Alchemy, as well as The Holy Order and has yet to learn of the city’s other great offerings. Kardis has spoken of a rare crystal mineral named ‘magicite’ which can be found in her lands, crystals with great many applications. The name speaks for itself.

Aside from her exotic looks, Kardis also has no shortage of coin, sports the finest Noble garments created by the best tailors, and has gained exclusive housing within the capitol.

She is certainly a mysterious figure who’s injected herself in the affairs of High Society, but to what end exactly is still unknown.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  11. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch
    Secret Lodge of The Holy Order

The audacity, as if he was to take orders from Ulthwe. The Patriarch saw him as simply a messenger, nothing more than an errand boy, still his continued presence here would not be welcome. The Patriarch knew what to do about the traitors, taking them on himself was foolish and unnecessary, better to instill fear into the people of Basileus, his connections to the imperial house were deep and he was sure he would be able to slip them some rather intriguing information.

"I have a couple possibilities that I could feed to the Imperial Government. We will sow chaos and confusion, even if they do not find the other dragons it will give us the opportunity to increase production."

The Patriarch was pleased the opportunities were almost limitless. The synthetic draconium, it would change everything.

"Once the Imperial government is distracted with the dragons I will let my agents loose, Basileus by far will be the most stable supply."

He contemplated how best to leak this information to the government, should he go directly? No better to dissociate the information from the source. He sat back in his chair, eager to continue his research.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    GM APPROVED!

Character Sheet:

Name: The Jester
    Race: Human, presumably
    Physical description:

[​IMG]

A picture says a thousand words; but it is what you see which you can trust, not what you hear

• Height; 6'5''
    • Weight: Moderate
    • Skin color: Unknown
    • Hair color: Unknown
    • Eye color: There was once a report of a single yellow eye, but who knows
    Personality:
    • Quirks: He is Quirk Incarnate; he's a Jester
    • Likes/dislikes: Being interrupted
    • Strengths/weaknesses: Knowing precisely when they to shut up
    Weapons: None save for a pair of immaculate black gloves

Short Bio: The Jester to the Imperial Court has been an informal and yet lucrative position within the Imperial family since before the century of strife. The holder of the title is expected to abandon their identity, donning a Black Coat to abandon their prior life and are punished if they are seen without their attire upon. It's precisely unclear when the current Jester's 'term' began, but he's known for his sharp wit, and often crosses the line with lesser nobility, those ones he can dare to, anyway. Indeed, this one predates the current ruler, but that's all really you could pin down about him.

Not much else can be said... and he likes it that way.

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    IC: Lady Delfina
    On board the Enterprise

Delfina listened to the Lieutenant’s words with interest. She’d never met any of the Iatzi. And the Thunder Lizards sounded a bit alarming…and yet, definitely exciting. She’d never seen any of the Lizardmen, although she’d heard reports that they were causing trouble and attacking settlements. The Empress had mentioned that His Majesty was very concerned about that situation. The diversity of the continent was a bit worrisome… she’d been planning to send back much of her wardrobe on arrival, keeping only those things suitable for the tropics. But if they were going to venture to colder climes, perhaps she should hold on to the cold weather gear?

She smiled at his boast. But don’t worry me and my boys are here to protect you.

“I’m sure you will,” she said, smiling back at him. “I’m not worried in the least.”

There was a shout from below. A sturdy, short man with a heavy beard, calling up to them. He was talking to a cat-like man in a simple, beautifully draped robe and a very beautiful young woman with silver-blonde hair. “Hey, Lt., would you and the Missus like to join us for a drink? Hehehe…”

Lieutenant Petreus pursed his lips. “I see our companions are in a festive mood,” he said.

The cat-like man bowed to her. “The more the merrier!” he said.

Delfina cocked her head. “Oh, I think we have time for one drink before the dinner gong sounds,” she said. “And if I’m not mistaken, the lady and the feline gentleman are members of the expedition. It would be a good idea to get to know them better.”

She waved at them. “We’re coming down!” The ladder was a bit hard to negotiate in her satin evening pumps, but Miss Malwort’s Establishment had prepared her for just about anything. She smiled and nodded at them. “I’m Delfina of Parnassa,” she said. “How do you do? I believe you're part of the expedition too?”

TAG: @TheAdmiral, @Reynar_Tedros, @Darth_Elu

14. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Zanna Wai'leena
    Orkon Boulevard, Basileus

Zanna was cautiously looking out the window to the street below. Something felt a bit .. off. She couldn't exactly say why, but when Andrath took hold of the vial, Zanna's attention was drawn to how he was examining the small vial. To her delight he then paused and leaned forward again, sliding the vial over towards her. Good thing she was all but sitting on her wings and there was a royal company nearby. Very slowly she moved to pick up the vial. She stopped herself, before digging around in her pocket. Gloves. Must have gloves, she remembered. She quickly slipped them on. Then, she picked up the small vial. She tried to see if she could feel anything from the small container, magic wise. As she did her eyes tried to gleam any differences. She held it up towards the light of the window, for a better view, slowly turning the small vial.

This stuff has to be rather expensive, Zanna thought to herself as she examined the small vial, turning it in various ways, careful not to spill anything, before placing it back on the table. Oh, so many questions. Zanna put a hand to her chin, in thought. She gave the smallest hint of a smile when she heard Andrath asking the Princess many, many questions.

Zanna guessed that hooking a user would definitely make that user come back to that supplier, ran than another. Even if the other price was cheaper. Hmmm. But was it a substance that someone, say a vendor that bought the stuff and then tainted it before reselling it. Or was it higher up? Zanna didn't really know much about the process to sell the stuff from crystals to powder. Perhaps they would learn.

Her eyes flittered back out towards the window, as she waited for the Princess to respond.

TAG: @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral

15. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Combo with @TheAdmiral and @Darth_Elu, a delightful way to have first interactions

IC: Empress Maja Corioni Atreus, Count Vanhetgoud, Lord Crystalglade

The Empress gave a sad smile "Indeed." she started "Though that is the problem that all Empires face. We are after all a collection of different people who have different agendas." she smiled as she brought the cup to her lips and took a small sip "Tell me..." Her Highness looked at the Count right in his beautiful eyes "What is yours?" The man was an enigmatic figure roaming the Imperial Palace. There were rumours swirling around him and there was no way to tell what was true or not.

Teirvonel lifted the delicate cup in a slight salute, a symbolic gesture of cheers and thanks for the tea to the Empress before he took a sip. As he set the cup back down on the wafer thin saucer a mysterious smile touched the corner of his lips and one eye twinkled for a moment. He maintained a stiff, polite seated posture, no relaxing in the presence of august majesty. It was the little touches to leave all wondering who he was, how he planned to join in to either suppress or add to the current chaos.

His eyes met hers once more, the blue of his seemed the calm ocean of emotions, ”That is quite a question, Majesty, one that I am sure many at Court would desperately wish to know the answer to. To date, many of the factions, at the least those that do not see me as a jumped up commoner, have attempted to recruit me to their causes. Even some of the second group have done the same, when they have seen I have only given noncommittal answers to any group.”

Shifting slightly in the chair, he moved back until his back touched the back of the seat, keeping his sword tucked in closely still. Lifting the cup of tea again he paused, ”To be honest,” He sipped from the tea before it it began to cool, ”none of those that have presented their platform of beliefs has given me reason to throw support behind them. Time will tell if there comes a cause worth supporting.” he left out that he’d given tacit approval for vassals of his to surreptitiously support one cause or another, across the spectrum, knowing that it would frustrate the other nobles that they could not pin him down to their cause directly.

The Empress gave a polite chuckle "You are a very dangerous man Count." she smiled "Also very hard to read." she placed back on the saucer "It gives you certain advantages I suppose, being sought after by the other Houses. A very astute position indeed." she said thoughtfully. The man was a suitable candidate for Jori, a man with great ambitions and who knew how to play the game. Maybe she could pit him against the fairie? That would be an interesting experiment, quite interesting indeed.

Teirvonel tipped his delicate mug to the Empress once more, the touch of a smile returning to the corner of his mouth. Allowing a touch of humor to enter the mellow tones of his voice, ”I have found, over the years, that Court is much like the wilds of the Empire, Majesty. The more advantages one may have ensures one’s survival longer, in either place.” As he set his mug back down upon it’s saucer he paused, as his mind replayed the words she had said, and not just the words but the tones.

Sitting back up straight, mouth now in a neutral line as he had sensed, quite fairly given the power base of the ruling family, that she perhaps had ideas to discover more about him. ”Being sought after can become tiring as your time often is taken up with those hopelessly not clandestine meetings rather than any other….”

He broke off and, if possible, stiffened even more. His head turned minutely as his eyes narrowed slightly. Turning back, an almost humorless chuckle came from his lips. ”I am certain you did not set out tea for me, Empress and I believe your true guest is about to make their entrance.” As he spoke he removed the Court gloves he’d been wearing and his uncovered hand drifted down, to the hilt of his pretty but fully functional sword, laying over the iron basket of it, fingers tracing the curves, a seemingly unconscious gesture and not one intended to give the impression of a warrior about to draw his weapon.

The sound of gravel accompanied his ears as he moved, feet and cane placed just as in that movement. He moved with purpose, as he had been summoned by the Empress after all, but calmly as if there was nothing to fear. It was all just business as usual, with that hum and smile upon his lips that were his usual accompaniments. The gravel also signaled to him that he neared the solarium, which as of now, was his destination. It was a beautiful day to be at this location, so he couldn’t fault the chosen place of discussion.

As he rounded to the entrance of where Her Majesty sat, he noticed however, that she was not currently alone. His emerald eyes took in a group of nobles a ways off, further down, and figured that one had likely come over to greet her. Those who would ignore her presence were foolish.

Or was this a man to be considered a part of what was to come? Questions, questions. For now, he’d plow forward and hope to come upon answers in return.

As he entered the solarium proper, he noticed the man now identified as Count Teirvonel Vanhetgoud, remove his court gloves, let his wayward fingers begin to wander to his weapon’s hilt. Ah, the sign of a former ranger still lurking behind those steely blue eyes.

Cinna could appreciate the subtlety. It did not unnerve him, but it did make him wonder what ever was about to come of this conversation. Of that, it succeeded.

Pausing as his eyes found and now stayed calmly focused on the Empress, he gave a low sweeping bow with his hat removed for the gesture, before straightening and letting his hum come to a pleasant stop. He dare not take a seat until requested.

“Your Majesty. I hear you have need to speak with me? And greetings to you as well, Count Vanhetgoud! It is not often we get the pleasure of each other’s company.”

The Empress tensed a bit as she saw Count's reaction. She looked towards a secluded area of the solarium where a couple of the Royal Guardsmen were reaching for their weapons, so she shook her head slightly to show them that there was nothing to worry about. Though she could see the tension in their body language, but there was nothing to be done about that. After all it was their job to protect her.

"Ah, Lord Crystalglade, do join us." she gestured towards the empty armchair "Now, now, Count, there is no need for that." Maja smiled "It is true, that I was awaiting dear Lord Crystalglade, but your timely appearance was welcome." she leaned back and took her saucer again picking the cup up to her lips "After all I don't see why we can't enjoy some tea together?"

Teirvonel held his tongue at the greeting, knowing protocol demanded that the Empress speak first. A smile touched the corner of his lip as she gently reprimanded him afterward. His fingers ceased stroking the hilt of his sword but the tips remained in contact with the pommel. His eyes had seen the movement of the Royal Guards and her reaction, reactions from the Guard expected, hers he was intrigued to see but she was imposing her position and will on the situation in such a simple gesture.

Nodding to her he lifted his tea once again, taking a sip. One eye sparkled for a moment, the smile filling out more, ”Apologies Majesty, old habits die hard, especially when someone lightfooted approaches.”

The smile remained on his lips but did not reach his eyes as he turned to the newly arrived Lord, ”You are indeed correct, we do not often have time to socialize, Lord Crystalglade. Perhaps it is that our social circles at Court do not often overlap. Besides, those of,” he sipped his tea once more to mask what appeared to be a frown, although now his eyes did brighten a touch, ”longer lineage at Court tend to be drawn to your charm and charisma rather than the noncommittal rebuffs of this old Ranger.”

Affecting another, if smaller, bow; Cinna moved to the empty armchair and sat down gracefully. He eyed the Count amused as he spoke of old habits and those of light feet. A small, almost breathless, chuckle escaped his lips as he listened, setting his cane to lean against the right of the chair.

Leaning back comfortably in the chair, the fairie turned his neck so he could face Vanhetgoud more fully, giving him his full undivided attention as he spoke to him.

“You speak truly of our social circles, such as mine are. We must correct that oversight immediately, I should think.”

The fairie shifted a little as he thought how to word himself further for a couple seconds. “I would have to say we are more in common than you realize however—Oh, yes, thank you.”

A servant had brought him a cup and saucer of tea, which he quietly requested a little bit of mint leaves to add before continuing. “You see, I daresay it is no charm of mine, for within the court a being of mine own lineage…well, I’m afraid I’ve merely become a novelty to entertain oneself with.”

Nodding gratefully at the servant who brought the mint at that moment with another mouthed ‘thank you,’ he added the leaves to his drink and swirled in his hands a moment. His gaze moving to the Empress.

“What would you say, Your Highness? The Count and I would make one interesting team, I’d think. The former ranger of great renown and the puzzling little fairie lord.”

His smile remained in place as while the comment was indeed meant as a good-natured lark, he honestly was quite curious to see their reactions. Even the inconspicuous remark may yield promising returns.

The Empress mused the question for a moment. Indeed it made for an interesting team up. If she could direct them they can be very useful. Maja was tired of the old blood families, despite coming from one, their petty squabbles were threatening the unity of the Empire. Her husband was far too trusting and lacked vision to solve the problem and his current advisers are like hammers, seeing everything as nails. This meeting might prove to be more important than she intended. "My Lord Crystalglade, I hope that one of your talents is not reading thoughts." she gave a polite chuckle "I think you two can serve the Imperial Throne." the Empress gave an enigmatic smile pretending that the whole thing was her idea in the first place "But first I need to be sure where your loyalties lie." she smirked slightly as she observed the two men. "This meeting will be the first of many until I am sure I can entrust you with this task."

A low toned, almost musical chuckle came from Teirvonel’s lips. Setting the mug back down on its delicate saucer, he sat back, one finger on the hand that had held the tea now silently tapping on the end of the arm of the chair as he thought. A fairie Lord who was a seeming novelty at Court and one who had danced around the outside of all the intrigues that other factions attempted to drag into their affairs.

The tapping stopped and his hand lifted, the finger that had been tapping stroking the scar across the bridge of his nose a pair of times before his eyes met those of the Empress. ”I have served the Realm for many years, Majesty. However, at the frontier you know the beings to your left and right have as much as vested an interest in keeping each other alive as you do. Not a sentiment that you see often at Court.” Darting his gaze to Lord Crystalglade, ”Those differing social circles could be a benefit in this situation, should we give no doubts to our loyalty.”

“However,”
    his eyes turned back to the Empress, not cold but without empathy or emotion, ”Majesty, my question in return would be, is it our loyalty to the Realm and it’s survival that matters or our loyalty to the House Atreus? I respect your roles as the leaders of the Realm but what is more important, that your House continues to hold the reins or that the Realm survives, if it came to that point?”

He realized that the question was one toeing a very close line to disloyalty to the Emperor or Empress but it was a valid point. Many civilizations had fallen because those at the top refused to step aside when the winds of change were blowing and the only way for the civilization to survive would have been for them to step away, the Dragons being one of those set of rulers.

Cinna allowed himself a tiny, fleeting smile like the sighting of a passing dove at first light due to the Empress’ reaction. She had thought of this herself, did she? Well then, it certainly played well for him to have appeared to be at a similar crossroads in thought.

He inclined his head slightly at her words, while letting his eyes slide on over to gaze at the nearby Count who began to respond. The fairie did not miss the man’s own return look. A single breathless laugh, that made no sound at it was his only reaction. He said nothing, allowing the man to finish his reply.

Taking another sip, Cinna allowed himself to interject once more before the Empress could reply to this pointed question from the former ranger.

“The man has a point, Your Majesty. Our combined support of one another would be very beneficial, I do believe. But in return for our support, we need to know exactly where your heart lies as well.”

His eyes, still the same as they were when he first arrived, kept the Empress firmly in their sights as well.

“Would you do us the honor of that? Though I confess to personally wishing House Atreus remains exactly where it is. Those who decry weakness behind your backs simply don’t know where to find the true strength.”

A lilting shrug presented itself after these words, but he awaited her reply quietly at this point. So far, this conversation had proven itself very useful. It showed where the Empress was in the scheme of things, at least from an initial perspective, her own ambition (no matter the destination she wished for), and it revealed a very crucial part of Count Vanhetgoud’s mindset.

He had pivoted to the fundamental question of Rulers or the Realm swiftly and to the Empress herself without batting an eye. There was no mistaking it, that was not a facade of thought. It was a true opinion.

That or he was even better at acting than he thought. Time would tell.

The Empress gave a small indulgent smile. The question was very bold and she was impressed by that. She had always admired people with guts. The Count just moved up her list of potentially dangerous men, the fairie, she knew why he wished the House Atreus to remain, there was a certain someone with whom he liked to share a bed. "I view it as an evolutionary process." Maja started "As you know Count, nature does not care about our wants and intentions." she smirked slightly "We are all replaceable and when a ruler starts believing they are an indispensable for the Realm, that is the start of their downfall." she pursed her lips for a second "That also goes for one who is perceived as weak." she knew what people whispered behind her husband's back, though they were mistaken, but that was another matter "I hope that I, my husband or my heirs will have the common sense to avoid this fallacy."

Teirvonel’s lip twitched as he lifted the mug to his lips, ”Yes, Majesty we are.”

He glanced aside at the fairie lord, as much as the Lord adopted higher airs than he, he did have a sharp mind and it seemed he was also kept at the fringes of the social circles they inhabited at Court. The thing about the fringes though was that that was where the true predators swam and started their hunts by picking off the weakest of the pack.

Turning his gaze back toward the Empress, the slight smile now did touch his eyes, but the entire effect was that of a touch excitement at the prospect of a hunt and a predator’s smile that he would feast soon. ”If I may interpret the non orders you wish to leave unsaid, there are factions at Court, ones whose interests are not necessarily against those of your House but more crucially against the Realm and it would be of benefit to the Realm if those groups were exposed or rooted out by someone or someones unknown.”

The cup was set back gently, no rush here, the entire venture would be slow, time consuming, and require putting on faces that they needed to wear to gain the trust of those they hunted. Drawing back on his gloves, he sat up straight, looked to Lord Crystalglade, nodded, then returned his gaze to the Empress, ”Sounds as though it is time for these unknown someones to begin their hunt.”

Cinna nodded calmly at the words coming forth from the Empress and then from Count Vanhetgoud after her. For as much as noble, or even royal, intrigue could become straightforward, this was such a time.

His smile seemed to take on a thoughtful tone, though his eyes betrayed a firmness to them. He returned the nod from the count. It would seem he too was indeed ready to go a hunt of sorts. That was just as well.

“I admit. I’m rather looking forward to this now. A hunt of such scope will require all our wits and resourcefulness. It sounds…fun.” His grin finally showed a hint of his own brand of predatory aura for a split moment, as a little show of it seemed to be in order given the situation.

But who knew the depths to which they would reach?

…It would be magnificent.

TAGS: @TheAdmiral, @Darth_Elu

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Keela
    Aboard the Enterprise

Keela smiled with pleasure when the ‘Missus’ said that she and the lieutenant were coming down to join them for drinks, accepting the dirty dwarf’s invitation. On any other occasion, she may have looked forward to testing the handsome man’s limits, challenging him to drinking games until one of them gave, either voluntarily or involuntarily, no doubt in her mind that she would come out victorious. All bark, no bite, that one. But in this particular situation, she sought conversation with the woman. That’s all, just conversation. At least that’s what she told herself. For now.

When the ‘Missus’ made it down the ladder (Keela avoided watching her descent, opting to play with her fingernails instead while they waited, afraid that the dwarf or the Felinoid may have noticed her attraction), she smiled at the group and Keela returned it with genuine kindness in her eyes.

“I’m Delfina of Parnassa,” she said. Delfina, Keela repeated to herself. Much better than Missus. “How do you do? I believe you're part of the expedition too?”

“Keela,” the elf replied, louder and quicker than was probably customary, before any of the others had a chance to introduce themselves. “I’m an... archaeologist.” Stop it, Keela. “Just... love history and... stuff, y’know.” She smiled nervously.

Smooth.

Tag: @Mistress_Renata, @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  17. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    OOC: So another round of updates :D Decided to first welcome our new players @Sinrebirth and @greyjedi125 I will continue with the others tomorrow and on Friday (I am sorry for the slowness). @Master Vo'Un'Var informed me that unfortunately he would have to leave the game (I hope it will be temporarily) so I will take over his character for now (unless someone would like to play as him). Also great posts everyone!

IC: Grand Cleric of the Aeldari Ulthwe
    Location: Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

The Patriarch was annoying him by wearing that stupid mask. Oh he was sure that the man thought it clever and a tad theatrical, but that was for lesser beings. So that was a backhanded insult on him, the problem was that he could not complain to their master as he would simply think of him as weak for being bothered by such menial things.

So Ulthwe pretended that he did not care about it. He gave a sarcastic smile. “About your agents in Court.” he moved towards the door and opened it. There one of the acolytes was waiting patiently and reverently “Please escort our guest in.” the hooded person scurried away to carry out the order.

“I took the liberty of inviting a rather fascinating individual.” Ulthwe was sure that would annoy even anger the Patriarch, but the man would have no say in that. “May I present to you...” he gestured and as if on cue the door opened revealing gorgeous elven beauty. “... Milady Kardis Talathee.” he smiled broadly “She is a recent arrival to Basileus, the Primarch is vouching for her.” Ulthwe smirked as that meant that the masked man would not be able to simply brush her off “She will be helping us from inside the Palace. Come my dear.” he beckoned her.

TAG: @Shadowsun @greyjedi125

IC: Empress Maja Corioni Atreus

The Empress waited for the two men to leave. That was an interesting meeting for sure. Originally she had other plans, but the Count’s appearance changed that. All for the better she was sure. Of course entasking them with this mission was dangerous as she was not sure of their loyalties. So it can all blow in her face, but Maja considered herself a good judge of character. Besides, she had some help.

“I suppose you heard everything?” she asked outloud. There was a hooded figure standing opposite of her. It was the Jester. Maja was still unnerved by his presence, but had found him rather useful. A lot of people looked down on him, but she knew better.

He had been in the Palace before her and knew its passages better than her. She knew that there was one in the Solarium, probably used for clandestine meetings. Or maybe he just used magic and appeared out of thin air? Who knows.

“They will be quite useful.” she said to him “Did you see something that I might have missed, hm?”

TAG: @Sinrebirth

18. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch
    Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

Ulthwe certainly thought highly of himself, to be expected from an Aeldari. The Patriarch sensed some annoyance from him, no matter he was of no relevance, a footnote to his grand design.

“I took the liberty of inviting a rather fascinating individual. May I present to you Milady Kardis Talathee. She is a recent arrival to Basileus, the Primarch is vouching for her.”

Outwardly The Patriarch remained calm, collected like a soothing autumn breeze with the hint of a thunderstorm dwelling in the distance.

Inwardly raged a whirlwind of wrath.

How could The Primarch authorize such an agent coming here? On what basis? Was it not enough that Ulthwe would be snooping his nose around?

However, if he is recommending her, she most be at least somewhat competent.

The Father of The Holy Order surveyed the half elf, able to identify her race before she even entered the doorframe. He sensed the various Draconium objects that she had with her, and what was that? Some other mineral he was not familiar with. Perhaps she would prove to be more interesting than he initially thought.

He rose from his chair and walked over to her, looming over her like a child observing an ant, trying to sense her magical affinity.

This one is strong. Best to be diplomatic, she may prove to be of good use. If not....well that would be unfortunate

He turned his head to Ulthwe and spoke curtly:

"Thank you Ulthwe, you can go" He was sure this would annoy the Aeldari, not that it was of any consequence to him. Ulthwe was too proud to go complaining to The Primarch. He turned his head back to the Kardis, raising a finger to point toward her necklace

"Your ring and necklace, I am not familiar with the material. What are the made of?" he spoke softly in a noticeably more polite fashion than he had spoken to Ulthwe.

He had no choice in the matter of integrating her into the royal house. He hoped she would prove to be a better and more cooperative ally than Ulthwe.

TAG: @TheAdmiral @greyjedi125

19. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    IC: Lady Kardis Talathee

“Thank you Grand Cleric, you are too kind.”

Kardis smiled an easy charming smile that would transfix most humans at a mere glance. She needn’t use any magic whatsoever for this effect. Of course, the Grand Cleric was no mere human to be so transfixed by something as simple as a smile. No, he was Aeldari. That said it all.

Her form moved like a symphony given physicality, like a panther raptured by grace, she was the Evening in the flesh, Twilight given breath. For a heartbeat did her metallic colored eyes linger on the Grand Cleric, even as she seemed to waltz to him.

Kardis was profoundly conscious that they were surrounded by stone, as much as she was sure she had skin and flesh on her body. Her confident smile remained as both of these 'elements' bent to her will and whim. As she moved, her foot falls made not a sound.

She did pause, however, to make a mental note, as well as for effect. The draconium necklace she wore was on display upon her neck, with stones of magicite - the same was true of her ring. Kardis sensed and felt a concentration of ambient power here. Was this place built over a magical Ley Line? Or was there another source? An intriguing mystery.

Coming to a stop next to Ulthwe, she offered an acknowledging nod to the armored figure she was brought here to meet. Nothing expressed ‘clandestine organization’ more loudly than a casque to cover one’s identity. Of course, she had to admit, it added a certain charm to the intrigue.

The armored figure rose from his seat and came over to inspects the goods on display. Kardis was inwardly pleased, as she scanned him in turn, her expression remaining pleasant. At such proximity, she was likely to sense or recognize glyphs of power etched upon the armor, if any. Or perhaps there was something else, something he concealed.

"Thank you Ulthwe, you can go.”

The curt dismissal of the Aeldari spoke volumes regarding the relationship between these two, but Kardis did not react to it. There was no need to do so at that very moment.

Whether or not the Grand Cleric obeyed was another matter.

"Your ring and necklace, I am not familiar with the material. What are they made of?"

Well, that was a very direct approach. And why not?

This one definitely acted like a human. Short-lived races were always in a ‘rush’ even if they did not consciously realize this. But perhaps that's what this 'man' wished for everyone to think.

'Intriguing.'

Patriarch of The Holy Order…” She began saying, her voice clear and by necessity- diplomatic, yet pleasant to the ear.

“I am Lady Kardis Talathee, Envoy to Queen Flemeth of Ur Farnatha, unto the Great City of Basileus. I bring salutations and glad tidings from the Queen. She is intrigued by the city’s prosperity and wishes to learn ALL which such progress has to offer. I pray you may indulge these interests.”

So, was he a man, or just impatient?

The charming smile broadened, if only slightly, in a polite manner and another nod was offered. She actually appreciated the man’s directness, but after hours of rehearsing her introduction, she wasn’t going to simply let it go to waste.

Indeed, directness did seem the order of the day. After all, she hadn’t arrived to the city overlong before she was approached by the Aeldari. Of course, she wasn’t hiding, but the fact they found her so soon only confirmed what the Queen’s augurs had revealed. Change was coming to Basileus, on a scale that would affect all lands- and Ur Farnatha would not be left in the dark.

Moreover, if her ears were to be believed, there was a Primarch in Basileus, and that alone changed everything.

But, back to business.

“Magicite.” She answered plainly and smiled. She did repress a chuckle then. Not only did this one take the bait, he seemed to desire the whole catch as well.

'One thing at a time.'

“It's a crystal which is native to my region…” She began to explain. “…and as the name suggests, it has potent magical qualities.” Here she gave the Patriarch a knowing look. “And when combined with Dracomium, well, let’s say the results can be spectacular.”

Kardis made a blooming gesture with her well manicured hands. If only he could see the image that flashed in her mind.

“We should save a demonstration for later.” she intoned with some amusement.

Kardis’ gaze remained on the Patriarch, studying him for a few beats, before continuing.

“As you already know, dwarves feel compelled to work as they do, and thus must be compensated for such work- for it is indeed a great service they provide. However we’ve heard rumors, that Basileus has…what were they called, machina ? that could labor just as well as dwarves. Is that true?”

It could well be that she already knew the answer, but perhaps that wasn’t the real question. Still, the meeting between the Envoy and the Patriarch was only just beginning.

Tag: @Shadowsun, @TheAdmiral

OCC: Following posts will be shorter, had to establish a few things in this one. :p

20. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch

Oh I like this one
    thought The Patriarch to himself. She seemed to share his the illustrious thirst for knowledge. He could sense the craftiness of the half elf, she certainly was an enigma herself.

Magicite? Intriguing. Certainly seems to enhance the effects of Draconium, I do wonder... He was eager to see the demonstration, but that would have to wait. In the mean time formalities had to been taking care of.

"Perhaps I got a little ahead of myself, forgive me, my curiosity sometimes gets the better of me. As you know I am The Patriarch. Father and Founder of The Holy Order." He smiled, although Kardis could not see it. She saw only the blank, cold mask that the rest of the world saw. He noti

I wonder if she would notice.

His armor was etched with ancient runes, to many they were meaningless, long forgotten to a bygone age. While the physical armor shielded people from seeing his physical form. The runes hid him from magic uses, to them they would sense no magic eradiating from him. Usually he kept them sealed, tightly to hide himself from the other mages.

But the Patriarch was intrigued by Kardis and wanted to test her. He loosened the magical bonds on his armor. A subtle magical vibration was released, an ancient magic, lost to the ages. Only the most gifted should be able to detect it and when they did, they knew what it meant

Power.

He was certain Kardis would be able to sense it.

He contemplated her question. Odd he thought.

"I'm sure one that knows about Draconium has heard of the Machina that the empire produces." Spoke the Patriarch calmly. She was up to something, testing him herself.

"But to answer your question, yes it is true. They are used heavily for military purposes as well, a certain baron quite enjoys manufacturing them." He paused, looking upward now contemplating the machines that were becoming more commonplace in the world.

"Quite fascinating really, I do hope I am able to disassemble one soon" he mused, speaking more to himself then to the half-elf. For a few moments he stood there silent, seemingly lost in thought, then looked back down gazing deeply into Lady Talathee's eyes.

"Tell me, what is that you really want to know?"

TAG: @greyjedi125 @TheAdmiral

21. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002

Before the answer came several sensations.

The Patriarch was smiling. It was all in his eyes, though most his face was covered by its metal prison, he wanted her to see it. Kardis was keen on these things, though she could not confirm exactly what he was smiling about, she sensed that he was pleased with the proceedings.

Then a subtle reverberation, like a cool wind on a hot summer day, which causes one to inadvertently shiver, like a pleasant perfume that intoxicates the senses. She could feel it through her entire being, pin pricks, otherwise known as 'evidence'. She felt it, and immediately knew it for what it was:

Power.

For a brief second, Kardis seemed to swoon, her eyes closing softly, her head tilting just so, before recovering. The Patriarch had done something subtle while they spoke, it was a surprising demonstration in her estimation. This one knew how to be direct and how to be shrewd as well, showcasing his range…and what’s more, this ‘man’ possessed Ancient Arcane knowledge- that is, if he was a man at all: because the sheer audacity of this action was praise worthy.

’Direct. Confident.Powerful. Shrewd….and wonderfully dangerous.’

The fact that he was even able to obfuscate so much power at this proximity from someone with her skill set was in itself a testament all its own. Obfuscate and then reveal it. Well, that vastly augmented her estimation of the Patriarch.

Kardis smiled softly a this.

So, those are magic runes on his armor.

Kardis contained her excitement and eagerness to know more. Perhaps those runic glyphs were not so unlike the magical tattoos etched upon her very skin. Fascinating indeed.

“I perceive the wonderful scent of parchments somewhere nearby.” She managed to say with a gentle exhale, without interrupting him, but as a subtle answer.

“I’m sure one that knows about Draconium has heard of the Machina that the empire produces.” The Patriarch stated.

Kardis allowed herself a sly smile. A Leader like the Patriarch wouldn’t hold his ‘seat of power’ if he were not both savvy and knowledgeable. She listened intently as he continued, answering her unspoken question- at least partially.

‘A certain Baron? Hmmm.’

Kardis found his ‘disassemble’ comment, both fascinating and refreshing- but it was still too early to arrive at certain conclusions. If she was reading things correctly, the Patriarch didn't seem too fond of 'machina'. Kardis nodded slowly at this. While he mused, the lovely Envoy did take opportunity to regard the rest of the chamber they were in, but did not allow herself to be distracted. It wasn’t everyday that one was allowed an audience with the Leader of an influential order within Basileus.

Absently, she wondered if the Patriarch might be of Noble Blood, but not in direct line to the throne. That would be one of several reasons to wear a metal mask, especially if one's motives were to remain a mystery.

When the Patriarch returned from his reverie and looked deeply into her eyes, Kardis was tempted to warn him how she could easily enthrall him, but then again, he’d made his point by exhibiting his Powerful Aura. She was truly tempted to try regardless, but consciously decided against it.

‘Too soon.’ She mentally told herself.

“Tell me, what is that you really want to know?” The Patriarch asked in his direct fashion.

There were so many ways she could answer that, in so many varying degrees. Which one to choose?

Everything.” She answered quite casually, because it was true.

“With all due respect, allow me to clarify….” She added quickly, not wanting to waste the Patriarch’s time with clever dramatics, despite the pleasant indulgence they provided.

“What Age are you in? What Age do you like? What Age would you rather be in?”

Kardis, walked in a very small circle as she spoke, just a step from where she stood. Her every movement was precise and visually engaging.

“If the two answers are not one and the same, then what would you do to achieve the satisfactory answer? How far would you go to attain it?”

“That is what I wish to know, Lord Patriarch.”

Now it was her turn to be direct. This was the coin of trade the Patriarch dealt in and perhaps she could purchase some answers with it. Kardis already knew dealing with the Nobles would require her to play 'the game’ as it were. It was refreshing - at least for the moment- to engage in a less disingenuous discourse.

22. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch

The Shiver

The Smile

The Scent

She knew, she could sense it. The Patriarch was pleased, extremely pleased. She would prove more than a worthy ally, one to be watched for sure. Trust was something that he did not dish out on a silver platter. With a slick of his wrist He sealed the runes closing off the magic scent away from the bloodhound.

"Everything"

He could not help himself, he lot out a laugh. A deep, raspy laugh.

“With all due respect, allow me to clarify….”

“What Age are you in? What Age do you like? What Age would you rather be in? “If the two answers are not one and the same, then what would you do to achieve the satisfactory answer? How far would you go to attain it?” That is what I wish to know, Lord Patriarch."

The Patriarch, walked back over to his chair and sat, noting the formality in which she spoke. He was eager to continue the conversation, this truly was a fascinating specimen.

"Everything? Perhaps in due time." He was willing to dispense secrets, not freely of course, but he was sure she would be of excellent use. Her magical skills were clearly finely tuned and strong. Not to mention her knowledge of this strange mineral. Rather impressive for a half elf.

"What Age am I in? Well I believe they are calling it the 'Age of Technology'" He spoke with a slight sarcasm. He was amazed with what the empire had concocted. Perhaps, a little crude but fascinating nonetheless.

"As for what Age I like and what age I would rather be in..." He paused contemplating what his answer would be.

How much should I tell her?

"
    The age of magic had its merits. As does this age and all ages." He paused again, careful not to let Ulthwe hear anything The Patriarch would regret him knowing.

"I wish to build a new age. A new age where the dragons rule once again." He looked over Kardis paying close attention to her reactions. He was cautious, while she was certainly capable, her motivations were still an unknown.

"I would do anything to make this a reality. After all who would dare stop the march of progress" his tone was now cold, like ice on the wind. After a moment his tone become more warm and he had a question of his own.

"Now demonstrate to me what is so special about this 'Magicite' And perhaps while you demonstrate that, tell me what is it that you want, other than more information, your....motivation as it where." New knowledge was always a welcome presence for The Patriarch. He supposed that afterwards they would have to deal with the drudgery of the Imperial Court.

TAG: @greyjedi125 @TheAdmiral

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: The Jester
    Solariaum and Empress

There was a magnificence to a solarium; it’s very name implied light, and ample amounts of it. To entreat in the warmth of the sun seemed to endow your task with a great sense of holy purpose, while to scheme and plot was the penchant of those who chose shadows and nooks and crannies instead.

But the greatest sneaks were those who cavorted among the good and the true, offering much, but in-fact giving very little but risk and adventure for its own sake.

Such as this Empress, perhaps.

“See? I saw, but I was busy wondering after the Princess,” the Jester said, lazily and in an exaggerated manner bowing over his arm. He used ‘wondering’ as if ‘wandering’, to both excuse and verify his absence; without confirming it. “My stupendous Empress, you have ordered me to reveal, so I shall.”

He stepped towards her in a single oversized bound, and then twirled to her side, sagging to his knees and hugging his arms around his legs as if about to rock himself insane. The Jesters neck arched as he turned it, and he was inclined as it to whisper but spoke at normal octaves.

“The jumpy Count, and Lord Sinner. The essence of what is male is ubiquitous to all species, and you plucked at their sense of inherent entitlement...“ a hand waved at the solarium generally. “You offered them intrigue and notwithstanding their sophistry, they were intrigued. You believe them useful, but they are do-gooders, want to consider themselves more special than any other and so will gel as if one personality wielding two shapes. If you intend to let them loose upon the less savoury parts of Court, make sure that your own parts are savoury; sweet, even.”

He lowered his hand and rocked; of course he did.

“Because they will truly hunt down any who offend their moral sensibilities, as if endowed with your divine purpose. Yet, they left without a writ, just a tacit accord, and so you can cleave them from you whenever you so wish.”

At a rock forward he leapt to his feet, his cloak flowing as he turned and dropped to one knee before her, his expression still impenetrable behind that black cowl. “That is what I see, my Empress.”

Finished, he bowed his head over his hand and froze, as it a marionette that was now finished; its steam and power uncoiled.

TAG: @TheAdmiral (directly), @darthbernael, @Darth_Elu (mentioned)

24. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002

Oh, she did listen to the Patriarch’s words quite intently, and he would in turn know this, because of her posture. Her right hand was up, forefinger placed before her lips and tip of her nose. Her left arm crossed her waist, supporting her right arm. The while lines of her tattoo seemed to pulse softly against her dark skin.

She had smiled at his laugh, which was a positive response, non-verbal as it may have been. Kardis fully appreciated that the Patriarch chose to answer her questions in his own manner, and did not seem to answer for the sake of evasiveness itself. His words and his tone told the greater story, and she was able to contrast what he revealed with what she already knew.

His sarcasm at the mention of the ‘Age of Technology’ was both pleasing and amusing. An eyebrow was raised as he paused in contemplation, regarding which Age he preferred. Kardis was pleasantly amused when the Patriarch suddenly seemed to wax political, claiming that all Ages had their merit, but was clearly pleased that he’d at least mentioned the Age of Magic as precedent.

When he mentioned a ‘New Age’, Kardis’ eyes seemed to flash ever so softly. A slow and steady nod followed as he expressed who he envisioned as rulers, while citing that he would do anything for this ‘new age’ to be realized.

“You would do quite well in such a world.” She commented softly, yet loud enough for him to hear.

“Now demonstrate to me what is so special about this 'Magicite' And perhaps while you demonstrate that, tell me what is it that you want, other than more information, your....motivation as it where.”

Kardis allowed herself a playful smile. Shrewd and Direct. Two qualities about the Patriarch she would not soon forget.

“As you wish, Lord Patriarch.” she intoned graciously.

Well, there it was. He was giving her permission to demonstrate. Then a ‘small’ demonstration was in order.

Kardis did spy an urn on the far side of the chamber earlier during their conversation. Upon seeing it again, she made a gracious hand gesture, which caused the urn to levitate and deposit itself several feet from her, yet where it could be clearly seen. Her ring did glow softly as she worked.

“Quer anna atta.” She intoned almost musically.

The urn seemed to vibrate in place, blur, then elongate horizontally before separating into two urns. Without looking, Kardis gestured and returned the original urn to its place in the same manner she had acquired it.

“Corin o vare.”

A blue thaumaturgic circle scribed itself on the floor around the copied urn, encompassing it fully.

Here, Kardis paused and looked over her shoulder, a small knowing smile tugging at the corners of her lips. She then uttered a single word.

“Hakai.”

There was the smallest flicker, followed by a blinding flash. The entire chamber was bathed in brilliance that vanished as soon as it had appeared- and with it, the urn. A sound like the crack of thunder rumbled and echoed through the chamber a moment later, as air all around shifted to fill in the vacuum that was within the circle boundary.

There was nothing left of the urn. No ashes, no dust, nothing. It was as if it had suddenly ceased to exist. Literally blasted into oblivion.

“Lare ingole.”

With these words, the protective circle began to erase itself. Kardis suspected the chamber itself had protections, but wasn’t willing to gamble on being wrong about that particular assumption, at least not in this case. Did the Patriarch understand what she had showed him? She had no doubt that given enough time, someone with his acumen would.

Kardis gracefully turned and offered a small bow to the Patriarch.

There was no way for him to be certain if she had downplayed the event or showed him the extent of what was possible. It was very unlikely that it was the latter.

“We wish for the same things.” she stated plainly as she looked up and gazed at him directly, her metallic eyes sparkling.

"A New Age." There. A specific answer using his own words.

“How do we get from here to there is the real question.”

Indeed, and a good question it was.

Needless to say, the Queen would be happy to know she was making progress.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  25. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Princess Jori Atreus

Jori noticed that the detective’s assistant was getting excited. She restrained a smile. It was rather unusual to have a faerie in law enforcement, though what they were doing was not exactly police work, but still. She also noticed the subtle changes in Andrath’s expression. It was fascinating, though there was no way to tell whether or not he was faking them. Jori was a good judge of character and was adept in reading a person. Though this time her opponent was an expert and she would need to spend more time with him to learn his subconscious twitches and so on. That was why the Princess decided to observe the assistant. She looked sincere and was rather an open book.

The Princess leaned back when he shot his questions. Jori appreciated and respected professionalism and that man was oozing them. She gave a small smile and tapped her index finger on her lips deciding how much exactly she would reveal. “There were reports about it, coming from State Security.” Jori started “But at first it was dismissed as a rumour or some odd extravagance for the wealthy and the decadent, after all the Alchemists were saying that such thing cannot exist, or even if it does there was no way for anyone to alter the properties of the draconium.” she gave a knowing look “Needless to say that they were wrong.” Jori sighed “State Security decreased the observation and investigation.” the Princess had her own theory as to why “So I am not sure the reports are accurate.”

Jori stood up and walked towards the window “I was informed that there are different levels of purity.” she turned her head slightly “Someone is making the lower classes addicted to it, the slums, the workers. That is how it made its way to a particular footman who was exhibiting strange behaviour.” she said solemnly “That forced the Chief Butler to ask for an inspection of the man’s room and there the vial was discovered.”

The Princess turned towards the duo “I know for sure that some nobles are using it, though cannot point them out as they have a purer supply.” Jori stated bitterly “That is the problem with this substance, it is hard to tell who is addicted until their minds start to deteriorate and start exhibiting aberrant behavior.”

Jori noticed the faerie was doing something. It seems she was studying the vial. So they were on the case after all. “The name of the footman is Juhn Deep.” she stated flatly. “Any more questions?” she gave a bit of a sardonic smile.

TAG: @Darth_Elu @Ktala

IC: Professor Johanness Petreus

The Professor nodded to Pascale, he could see the excitement in his eyes. There was still hope for the man. The Old Man hoped that he would not be mistaken about him though. He was far too old for another disappointment, especially in regards to his life’s work. “As for the others...” he smiled “Well, we are an eclectic group.” he shrugged.

Johanness frowned a bit and leaned forward “That is the purpose of our journey.” he said in confidence “There is something very dark in the heart of the jungle that we are about to venture in.” he said solemnly “Elisander had discovered something there that someone or someones are trying to bury.” the Old Man smirked a bit “You must have heard some of the myths regarding them. If they are to be believed we must be passing over one of the Ancient Ones who is slumbering on the bottom of the ocean.” he gave a dry chuckle. “We need to uncover their mysteries, after all the past is the key to the future.” the Professor leaned back.

“Not much is known about the Ancient Ones.” Johanness started “Some claim that they are impossible creatures that can render a person mad if they are to perceive their true forms.” he said, not hiding his scepticism “Huge Titans roaming our world, fighting among themselves and noticing us, the lesser beings.” he gave a sad smile “There is even a story that they come from the stars, as if such a thing is possible.” he gave another dry chuckle.

“As for your last question.” he gave a sly look “You have to dangle a carrot in front of the houses to finance your expedition.” he smirked “But that is not important right now.” he looked at Pascale “I don’t want to bore you any longer. Besides dinner will be served soon, it will do some good to bond with the other members of the expedition.” that was his dismissal. The Old Man really hoped that Pascale could redeem himself, if not… well Tyler had other uses, other than guarding them. Hopefully his services would not be required…