main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh no! I had to teach stats last term (not a maths teacher!) and now I'm having flashbacks [face_worried] All I've learnt from my excel document so far is that a) I have too many characters b) at least one of their ages doesn't work for the history I've given them c) there is a MUCH larger age gap between Kit and Del then I originally thought and finally d) I have WAY too many characters.

Yeah, I think I did something similar 20 years ago when I first started writing. Although that was by hand in a book and far less effective than this is

Yeah, I think I said one of my characters was a USJS character's (Eena) nephew (F'kisi) which doesn't work as all Eena's sisters bar one is younger than her and her older sister is only a little bit older (and therefore unlikely to have had F'kisi). I think there will be some creative hand-waving to make him one of Eena's brother's children. Not a bit deal but one of those -ooops! [face_hypnotized] moments which doesn't matter to anyone else but does matter to my head cannon.

Also the word you are looking for is pedantic... :p or over-thinking :p

2. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    ....you compose Twi’lek wedding vows while doing the dishes.

3. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you have to talk yourself out of untwisting canon and fail.

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when the idea on paper diverged from the idea in your head so significantly that it has to be scrapped to being again.

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Or when what you write turns out significantly different from your original idea, but it's okay because the thing it turned into is even better.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    When you consider writing your first fanfic in a particular fandom to be your true sign of deep initiation into that particular fandom.

7. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    When your muse has been basically dead except for the drabbles and then you suddenly get all sorts of ideas while you're at work and then when you have perfect writing conditions (a day off, snacks, and a house all to yourself) you just stare at a blank screen until you give up and go eat more chocolate. [face_sigh]:p

8. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When two characters have decided to go dancing in 20s era clothing and you want to expand the drabble you wrote.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  9. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    That's my life! I have to keep going with Snips and Snails and USJS but instead my muse is chucking out stories for everything else BUT those. Also the chocolate - always need more chocolate. :p

Do it! I had the same problem and ended up writing a non-drabble epilogue for the last week's ones because I wanted to finish so I just wrote the end and tacked it on as an extra bit.

10. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    @amidalachick - really feeling your pain with your muse at the moment. Mine is great for coming up with new stories but then just flees the moment it gets to the climax and resolution! Not useful!

11. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...when you have to re-read your story four years into the break you took on it to figure out if you put the crazy spatial genetics multiplicity thing in it or not for real. (I didn't, apparently. Yay, I get to fix that... and, seriously, the "our so and so is not your so and so" jokes never get old...)

Kahara, amidalachick and pronker like this.
  12. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you zip to the very first entry on this thread and add a pad and paper and pen because you just know you'll get it right the first time and not need a pencil carrying an eraser[face_good_luck]

Kahara, Kit' and amidalachick like this.
  13. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh, yep, that's the WORST! It's like, I appreciate the inspiration and all but can we please just finish this one thing before we go on to something else? I got a draft down the other day that was the longest thing I've written in a few months and I was happy with the concept, which I hardly ever am anymore, but when I sat down to start editing and making it presentable, the muse was all nope. :rolleyes::p

Good luck finishing your stories, and remember, if you get too frustrated - chocolate and/or wine (or whatever beverage you prefer)! [face_good_luck];)

Kahara, Raissa Baiard and pronker like this.
  14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Lately, I will sit down and say “okay, muse, we’re finally going to finish this Kanera story we’ve been stalling on for two years!” And the muse will go, “Kaz! Kaz is cute! Let’s draw fan art for the next three hours!”

So guess what I wind up doing...

Exeter, amidalachick, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  15. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When there are times throughout the day that I would love to sit down and write but when the time actually becomes available my inspiration Is that of a vapor on the wind.

Kahara, amidalachick, Exeter and 4 others like this.
  16. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you discover a site called AI Dungeon that writes scenes for you from prompts and you don't know quite what to do or think about that ... [face_coffee]

17. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ... When you discover a new show, a few years old, and just enjoy spending time in that world. Sadly you missed the boat of the the height of its popularity.

18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When at work ( In the service industry), You look around and see standon's from Downton Abbey.

amidalachick and pronker like this.
  19. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW your outline for your Long Story (TM), which began with traditional I, II, III, A, B, 1., 2., etc. now needs a, b, c followed by (1) and (2) and possibly (1.a) and (2.a) because you've got to get the Character Arc just right [face_relieved]

amidalachick and Findswoman like this.
  20. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    When you're at work in the morning and you get an idea that you're actually excited to play around with when you get home, but by the time you get home all the life has been drained from your soul and you can't even remember the gist of the idea. :([face_laugh]

brodiew, Kit' and pronker like this.
  21. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    When you're being attacked by plot bunnies from two different fandoms, and one fandom (James Cameron's Avatar) wants to reference the other fandom (The Phantom Of The Opera).

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Happens to me all the time...[face_sigh]

Mistress_Renata and amidalachick like this.
  23. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Wake up exhausted cause you've spent half the night plotting in your head and all you want to do it get it all down before you have to go to bed again and do it all over again!!

24. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ...welcome to why I had to talk myself out of the previously mentioned Canon Untwisting thing... that, and every time I go to write Uncle Jesse, he sounds like Steve Rogers. (Which... I might have just talked myself into it again... oh no...)

amidalachick and pronker like this.
  25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    When you read that, and now you have a mental image of Steve Rogers driving the General Lee. (Brain, why you be like this?)