main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Lord-Skywalker and Master_Lok like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    More docs on Lance and the home run chase. The Bruce Lee one might be interesting if they dive more into the martial arts than the personal stuff and tragic death, which they won't. If only we could resurrect Bruce and put him on Sports Science we could measure his hand speed once and for all.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's possible that they dive a bit more into the martial arts side more than most docs, given that ESPN is in bed with UFC these days.

4. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I've seen about, oh maybe 300 Bruce Lee documentaries.
    Not sure what will be new, maybe they discuss Bruce's invention 'Ultimate Fighting'.
    Oh wait a minute, Spike TV did that back in 2012. :)

Seriously though, can never get enough Bruce. Truly the GOAT.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We've hit the period of time when ESPN is airing Rookie of the Year tonight on the main channel...

Juliet316, Luke02, Guidman and 2 others like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    way to go, runamucker!

dp4m likes this.
  7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    *sticks out my chest* I was at one of the filmings at Wrigley Field. It was during a day-night doubleheader. Cubs got their butts kick (like usual) in the night cap. During about the 5th or 6th inning, crowd start chanting "Henry! Henry! Henry!".

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    They had Air Bud on not too long ago.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Random thought: I wish they get rid of the newsticker at the bottom of the screen. It's distracting as all giddup and frankly we don't need it anymore considering we have news at our fingertips. Just show scores of that sport on if there are any and if somee truly breaking news comes along. I don't need news updates on NBA2K while watching Cornhole darnit! :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Runjedirun likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

as the leader of mina kimes fans worldwide, i am quite excited by this. i just wish domonique foxworth was incorporated - he's sharp, but he's also got a great rapport/rivalry with mina.

as part of this pablo torre will be taking over espn's "the daily" podcast.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You can be Mina Kimes' #1 fan -- I will be Lenny's #1 fan.

[​IMG]

12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    So a new lineup to discuss non-existent games being played on Sunday. I kid I kid....sorta of.

Juliet316 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    ESPY Ratings are the lowest in history:

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2020/06/the-2020-espy-awards-pulled-lowest-tv-rating-ever.html

A lot of people are trying to read into this especially you think since nothing is on still they see a uptick. My take is the same like it is for the Academy Awards who continue to see it's ratings drop. Nobody really wants to sit around and watch a bunch of people hand out awards to themselves especially since there is so much content available. Like 10 years ago I would watch the ESPY's since there was nothing else on (they intentionally have it on the day after the MLB baseball game knowing nothing else is on). Today? No way. I got still a ton on my DVR and to watch list. Hell we haven't even finish "The Floor Is Lava" as a family LOL!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    lol i have cousins who were on The Floor is Lava on netflix.

Luke02 likes this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I usually love the ESPY's but didn't watch this year because the whole point of the ESPYs is that it's on the one day with no sports (MLB All Star Break, pre-NHL/NFL, post-NBA, and pre-PGA weekend event)... which, this year, they can suck it.

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Well they've officially hit rock bottom for programming: they're airing an Eagles concert now. We're talking Don Henley Eagles, not Philadelphia Eagles.

MotivateR5D4, Luke02 and heels1785 like this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ESPN2's running The Basketball Tournament, the first live hoops in 4+ months, and always a fun watch. Don't know why they wouldn't just bump that up to the main network.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'll take an Eagles concert over any team from Philadelphia.....

Luke02, PCCViking, dp4m and 2 others like this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well that's a big step up from the usual 24 hour debates about lebron, the cowboys, kap , and when tiger will when his next tournament.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    today is mike golic's last with espn radio, as they transition to the new lineup on monday. new morning show is keyshawn johnson, a former duke basketball player, and a guy who i am sure is swell, but wgas.

mike & mike was 6am every day in jr high and high school, and watched/listened to it through college and beyond. never got much into the show with wingo, but golic jr is a smart guy/good analyst/social media titan, so the legacy is secure. sad to see an era end.

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I’ve met Mike Golic a couple of times and he is an absolute gem.

I even got him to video record a message to my wife telling her stop complaining about me listening/watching his show lol

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i missed this, but it's good:

plenty of speculation about the terms on which these two split, but don't really care. they were great together, how i'll remember the show.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Mike & Mike were one of the few sports radio talk shows I could tolerate. Now I cannot really tolerate any of them. Sad to see him go but hopefully they let him stay on doing college football like he wants. Considering all he has done for him, that is the least they can do.

24. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I was one of those women who had Mike and Mike on in the delivery room when my first child was born. Because I never missed a day of their broadcast if I didn't have to. I have missed that show since it ended. Hurts even more to know Golic isn't on at all anymore.

25. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Mike and Mike was a gem. I used to mainly just watch their afternoon half hour summary show from each morning's talk show. ESPN's late morning/early afternoon line up throughout the 2000s was absolute gold. It hasn't been the same since. Only show I continue to watch is PTI.

Recently I've gotten to like Golic and Wingo as well. When I worked overnight shifts I would listen to them on my way home in the morning.

Greenberg, on the other hand, has this real sketchy salesmen event promoter slick drug dealer vibe going since he started doing his solo thing on ESPN.