main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fantasy Thriller OPEN The Calm Before the Storm - Dieselpunk, Urban Fantasy

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by TheAdmiral, Jul 5, 2020.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Chief Engineer Mieli Hartsson, Lieutenant Tyler Petreus
    On-board the exploration vessel “Enterprise”

“We have the good kind on board, of course!” Mieli replied to the Felinoid. He and the tree hugger were mostly ignoring him, which was fine with him. He did not need to make friends with the surface-dwellers, he just did not want to drink alone like some hopeless alcoholic. Can dwarves become alcoholics? Hmmm, an interesting question, maybe he could test it? The thought made him grin, but as soon as he realized that he was grinning at the empty space he returned to his serious facade.

So the Lt. and the Missus, as he called her, decided to join them. The man seemed reluctant, but the blonde bombshell, well according to the surface-dweller standards, had more sense than the wanna-be seductor. Mieli scratched the back of his pants and flashed her a grin revealing the missing teeth “I am the Chief Engineer Mieli Hartsson.” he declared with some aplomb.

Tyler tried not to roll his eyes at the dwarf. Then noticed the beautiful elf introducing herself to Lady Delfina. Was the girl hitting on her? He had heard that the elves were a bit more liberal in that regard. The primal part of his mind was intrigued by the image forming in his mind, but then the Superego pushed the thought away. “I am Lieutenant Tyler Petreus, for those who don’t know me I am in charge of the security of this expedition.” he interjected before the Felinoid had the chance to speak. So the competition just revealed… herself.

TAG: @Reynar_Tedros @Mistress_Renata @Darth_Elu

IC: Prince Arturias Atreus
    Location: On-board the HIMAS “Aquila”, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

The Prince chuckled at what the man said last. “Oh I am not sure about the Princess, but my father will skin you alive.” Sometimes Jori unnerved him as he was never sure what was going on in her pretty head. She was very much like her mother, his step-mother, those two were beautiful and deadly. Arturias would never understand what did his father see in Maja, but it was not his place to question him.

Then his face turned serious “I am sure you have heard the reports.” he was close to Terric as not to allow the rest of the crew to overhear “The Lizards are making a move.” he said in a low voice “My father believes there will be a war, so I guess we will either be the first ones to engage or we will manage to dissuade them from making that grave mistake.” the Prince pursed his lips “I hope it will be the latter as they can be a tricky opponent.” it was hard to fight someone who you barely understood. The elves, the orks and the dwarves, and even the Felinoids, all were warm blooded and shared some similarities with the humans, but the Lizards… they were an enigma, no one knew how they thought, how they saw the world, thus making it hard to prepare against them. “I am sure that things will go fine.” he smiled and refrained from patting the man on the shoulder as it might diminish the Captain’s authority over the crew.

Little did either of them know that several officers and sailors were peeking at them with not very savoury thoughts. Treasonous thoughts…

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox

IC: Empress Maja Corioni Atreus

The Jester’s antics brought a small smile on her lips. The Empress was in a good mood from this momentous opportunity that had presented itself. “You can stand at ease.” she ordered him “Do-gooders can be very useful.” Maja said in a pleasant voice, she agreed with the Jester’s assessment “They can be an excellent lighting rod.” she chuckled at the idea “Attract the strike to themselves while helping me identify the enemy.” the Empress sighed, it was kind of funny discussing such intricacies with the Jester, but she knew that he was more than he presented himself, which suited her fine for now, as long as he was an ally of sorts to her. “You mentioned the Princess.” she changed the subject “I hope she had not decided to go to that villa in broad daylight.” Maja said with distaste “Or is there something more?”

TAG: @Sinrebirth

IC: A Face in the Flames
    Location: Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

A low and booming chuckle could be heard from the fireplace. “Bravo my dear!” the flames inside increased their intensity and the once shapeless fire started taking a particular form. That of a dragon’s head.

[​IMG]

It was the one of the Primarch of the Dragons. He was using an ability for long range communication that had been deemed lost to the ages. It was a testament to his power and knowledge and to the fact that he was one of the few remaining witnesses of the past. “An excellent demonstration.” the head turned to eye the woman “My regards to the dear Queen Flemeth.”

He then fixed the Patriarch with a gaze “I am sure Ulthwe had already briefed you.” the burning face sneered at the masked man “As I am also sure that you will find a way to work together and personal pettiness will be left behind.” there was an unspoken threat in the words “The Cousins...” the Primarch referred to the Lizardmen “Are taking the bait. This will destabilize the Empire, while our friends in the houses make their move. Only a small detail remains, you will have to find a way to pit the Proles against the Humans First.” there was a low chuckle.

“And you my dear...” the head turned towards Lady Talathee “I have something else in mind for you.” the fiery face crackled “An expedition departed recently to the Aleyas. It seems they will be following in the footsteps of Elisander, though they don’t have the most important parts of his work, you will have to find them, they contain knowledge of the Ancient Ones.”

TAG: @Shadowsun @greyjedi125

2. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    Prime Minister Wulfric Lok
    Ruling Council Chamber

The Prime Minister looked out from the balcony of his quarters. Out into the sprawling lands he governed over. The rising sun basked its light over his face, shadows dancing around the weary lines that etched themselves upon his weary face. He turned, reentering his bedroom, where upon a wooden chest lay his sabre, decorated finely with the trappings of the Imperial Court.

The chest itself was made to the highest quality. The crest of House Lok was carved on the centre of the lid, surrounded by a wide array of eagles and depictions of battles. Each side of the chest held a picture of some of Wulfric's finest victories. The defeating of rival houses and the conquering of their territories. All so brilliantly efficient.

The Prime Minister donned the rest of his outfit, and fitted the sabre to his side, now resting snugly in its sheath. He turned and left his quarters, striding towards the ruling council chamber, outfitted with his Prime Ministerial robes.

[​IMG]

A short time later

Leopold closed his eyes for a second and sighed “Prime Minister, where are we with the labour reforms?” they should deal with the Proles first as they had a strong social base and united people from all the races. The Trading Guild and other bourgeoise groups were fighting the reforms thus adding to the chaos.

Lok cleared his throat, stepping forward to address.

"I have been devising multiple plans to deal with the proles, while also pleasing the Trade Guild, your majesty. I plan to put these in effect shortly. Doing so should deal with these issues." he informed, before stepping back, his hands clasped behind his back. "It is, as you know, a difficult situation. I am treating the situation with the utmost caution." He finished, clearing his throat and giving a short bow of the head.

@TheAdmiral @Shadowsun

3. AgentViper007

AgentViper007 Force Ghost star 7

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Pascale Rouser

As the old man talked about the others on the expedition Pascale was intrigued. He hadn't met any of the group, maybe he would before they set ashore.

The old man leaned forward “That is the purpose of our journey.” he said in confidence “There is something very dark in the heart of the jungle that we are about to venture in.” oh boy Pascale thought "Elisander had discovered something there that someone or someones are trying to bury.”

It could be an artefact Pascale thought, it could be a weapon, it could even just be an ancient tome to summon the dead.

"You must have heard some of the myths regarding them. If they are to be believed we must be passing over one of the Ancient Ones who is slumbering on the bottom of the ocean.” he gave a dry chuckle. “We need to uncover their mysteries, after all the past is the key to the future.”

"Some" he said "But I always thought they were legends, sometimes told as children's stories or horror stories. But if the Ancient Ones were here then it would be interesting to see if they left anything behind for us to study. It could as you say provide links to both past and future".

The old man continued “Not much is known about the Ancient Ones.” Johannes started “Some claim that they are impossible creatures that can render a person mad if they are to perceive their true forms.” he said, not hiding his scepticism “Huge Titans roaming our world, fighting among themselves and noticing us, the lesser beings.” he gave a sad smile “There is even a story that they come from the stars, as if such a thing is possible.” he gave another dry chuckle.

"Well myths and legends are always hard to prove" Pascale responded with a slight smile "That's what makes them so interesting to explore as well, to prove if they are true. Because some are and some aren't. Perhaps we worshiped them as Gods, maybe they wanted to kill us all or make us slaves. Maybe they did drop down from the sky, some cultures do still believe things like that. Guess we will find that out as well".

The old man then essentially dismissed him, explaining that dinner would be served soon and maybe that it was time to meet his fellow shipmates. It was time to know who would help him and who possibly could hinder the expedition. Nobody was going to stand in his way if there were artefacts involved. Once he was done then maybe he would let the others have a look.

He gave a bow to the old man and picked up the tome and left the old man's cabin. This would be interesting reading material once he got round to it, maybe he would start it before bed. Dropping the time off at his cabin he decided to explore the ship looking for his expedition mates.

He found them and was definitely pleased with whom he saw. Two lovely looking ladies, an elf who looked gorgeous, another that looked quite regal too. A feline male and a young man who looked like he was security. Also a dwarf.

"Greetings ladies, gentlemen" he politely tipped his hat "I'm Pascale Rouser, eminent archeologist. I hope you don't mind me intruding on your gathering but I was wondering whether I could join you. I would like to socialize and get to know you all before we jump ashore and get into the serious stuff"

He looked at the two ladies with his blue eyes and gave them both a smile. These two would hopefully be a good addition to the adventure. The feline male could also prove useful too.

TAG: @TheAdmiral , @Darth_Elu , @Reynar_Tedros , @Mistress_Renata

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: The Jester
    In the presence of the sun and glass

“Well you seeee,” he stood in a flash, and cupped his face as he paced. “When I saw the Princess she was drawing up a writ... giving a fairy fey and elf authority to dig around the Court.”

The Jester spun on his heel and held his hands out, flared open. “Ostensibly hunting an addictive version of that drug...” He held his chin with a single finger. “The dragon named one. It’s been meandering the capital; no?”

He twirled again, stepping closer to the Empress. “But what about the rest? I can only watch so much, after all. When I’m supposed to be serving the entire Imperial Family, and they’re all off doing whatever.” He appeared sad, according to the drop of his shoulders and sagging of his arms as he leaned forward. “I wonder how the Prince fairs, myself.” He leaned over his hand. “Don’t you?”

“Or perhaps the Emperor himself...?”

His voice was cryptic.

TAG: @TheAdmiral, @Ktala (mentioned), @Darth_Elu (mentioned)

5. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    IC: Lady Kardis Talathee
    Secret Lodge of The Holy Order, somewhere in Basileus

A low booming chuckle was heard through the chamber, a sound that originated from the fireplace.

Kardis turned to face the fire, eyes narrowing slightly.

“Bravo my dear!”
    the flames increased their intensity and the once shapeless fire started taking a particular form. That of a dragon’s head.

’A Primarch!’

“Hail minya o ramaloce.” Kardis intoned reverently in her native tongue and bowed low. Her arcane tattoos glowed in response, as well as her ring and necklace.

“An excellent demonstration.” the head turned to eye the woman “My regards to the dear Queen Flemeth.”

“Thank you Sire, I shall pass on your regards.”

There was no fear in her words, only reverence, confidence and the unabashed thrill of excitement, surprise and deep honor. This was far more than she could have expected in such a short time. Not only that, in this very room she could both feel and witness the ancient spell at work. This was not the well known spell ’Speak through Flames’, where one could send a message from one camp to another via ‘campfire’, where only a voice was heard.

No, this was something far more ancient and potent than such paltry magic. In this case, not only could a far off flame assume the caster’s appearance, voice and manner if he so chose, a powerful enough caster would even be able to engage in spell war through that very same medium, even to the point of transporting oneself completely.The very though of learning such a spell sent a shiver down Kardis’ spine.

Silently, Kardis held her pose and continued to listen with great interest as Grand Cleric Ulthwe was mentioned and draconic wisdom was shared. Kardis had to smile at that.

There was talk of a plan already in motion. Once again, Kardis felt honored to be in this very chamber, but she also realized that the Patriarch himself, despite his uniqueness, was conferring with a Primarch, and clearly not for the first time. That alone spoke much on his behalf- and not only of their aligned ambitions.

Indeed, destabilizing the Empire was the more efficient way to achieve their goals, besides, as one of the long-lived, time was on their side. Two separate gardens cannot inhabit the same plot. One must perish to give way to the other.

“And you my dear…”

Kardis’ metallic eyes came up to regard the speaking flames.

“I have something else in mind for you.”

“Ni Lar ar nure” < ‘I hear and obey’>

“An expedition departed recently to the Aleyas. It seems they will be following in the footsteps of Elisander, though they don’t have the most important parts of his work, you will have to find them, they contain knowledge of the Ancient Ones.

Kardis guarded her thoughts as she spoke simultaneously.

‘Lord Elisander…The Ancient Ones’ She echoed in her mind, but did not project this. She was familiar with this unfinished tale. Another unexpected mystery to chase after.

“Consider it done, my Lord.” She said, projecting her willingness to pursue this new task.

Tag: @TheAdmiral, @Shadowsun

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  6. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch

It was clear that Kardis was listening intently to The Patriarch's words. He noted the eyebrow raised when he paused to contemplate which age he preferred, something that might come again at a later point. Her remark did not go unnoticed.

“You would do quite well in such a world.”

Indeed he would, more than Kardis could possible know. Her smile, it was clear she was enjoying this interaction. He listened and observed intently to her demonstration, noting every movement, every word, every gesture.

Fascinating

He had not seen quite a display of magic from an elfling, let alone a half elfling.

The Patriarch was all too keen to learn more about this mysterious substance and the properties it possessed, but before he had the opportunity to continue his line of questioning the fire spoke.

Was there no end to The Primarch's meddling?

Not only was the interruption an unwelcome one but his master was sending away this fascinating specimen. Of course the prospect about learning about the ancient ones... perhaps the Patriarch was also a tad jealous although he made no indication of this. He would have to continue this research another time.

He paid close attention to the way Kardis reacted to seeing his master. It seemed she was eager to make herself useful, good.

The Patriarch gazed into the fire, waiting for Kardis to finish speaking. He spoke to his master not in demeaning way he had to Ulthwe nor the wandering curiosity he had to Kardis but with the uttermost respect.

"Primarch, it is good to see you once again. If I may inquire why are we sending Lady Talathee off so soon? Was she not supposed to be an envoy from her land? An agent in the court as it were."

A last ditched gamble, The Patriarch was not fond of losing a potential wealth of knowledge, this Magicite intrigued him, not to mention her skills could prove to be most useful. He knew that his polite protest would likely be ignored. Besides once she inevitably returned to Basileus he would glean her for information not only on magicite but also on what she had discovered about the ancient ones.

His attention shifted to the issue at hand, riling up the Proles and Human First groups should not too much of an issue, both were temperamental and already agitated with the lack of labor reforms from the imperial government.

"As for the Proles and Human First Groups, it should not prove too much of a challenge to pin these radical groups against one another."

Hopefully if he appeased the Primarch he would stop badgering him, after all had he not proven himself to be than capable of running The Holy Order without interference?

TAG: @TheAdmiral @greyjedi125

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  7. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Andrath Inageiros IC:
    ~Mind’s Rest, Basileus~

His finger tapped rhythmically upon his left leg while his right hand came to rest thoughtfully over his mouth, a little hum coming out despite himself. Andrath was letting his wheels turn as he processed the information being provided. And not provided, in equal measure. As he did this, his eyes never left the Princess however.

The elf remained like this for about five seconds, letting it all roll around in his mind, before continuing onward. The smile of the royal lady’s clearly showed she was winding down her time here, there wasn’t much more she wanted to give up.

Indeed, she never answered who knew she was visiting. Answer: Very few. One in her position would be liable to exaggerate and state ‘No one’ had she cared to, but of course, that was not an option. That would show her hand slightly, no, no. Best quietly gloss over that one and hope the detective didn’t notice.

He did, but kept silent about it. She did not answer, therefore she had. No need to say anything, now was there? Exselénoir! Furthermore, the whole ‘No one’ reply would have been grossly incorrect anyway. ‘No one’ was never true. There was always someone who knew. In fact, he could now list three people who knew that were not in this very room. His housekeeper, the driver, and the guard.

That was only a start.

In any case, there were the questions she did audibly give to go over and expand from.

“It would appear that State Security and the Alchemists have not been doing their due diligence in the matter,” he mused in agreement, “Is it possible I could get a roster delivered to me of the Top…oh, twenty or so, officials in the State Security? Furthermore, I’ll need one of the alchemists as well. They’re more limited in number, let's say the top ten officials there.”

Quick dismissals and decreased investigations, even when suddenly the skepticism was proven wrong? While initially it is a natural thing for experts to not want wish to even consider such implications of variations of their own work, by now…Inside jobs were clear. There were people within both that wanted to keep it nice and quiet. Have the criticism amplified and fermented. It wasn’t a guarantee, but he’d stake quite a lot on that theory.

There were different levels of purity to the corrupted draconium, which was interesting to note. He would have to acquire all the levels and put them to the test. Not on himself or Zanna naturally. Whom was busy turning the vial in her hands as he had done earlier. With gloves on, he was happy to note. How many times had he told her to do so in the past…

Who says people can’t learn? Well, certain, more intellectually favorable persons at any rate.

Also this footman, going back to the investigation once more, Juhn Deep. Footman at the Imperial Palace, has gone into the ‘deterioration’ stage, room inspected by the Chief Butler. Noted, noted, noted.

A number of nobles likely have it, keeping more guarded about it, likely rife with other scandals mixed in.

Andrath smiled again at Princess Jori. “How long ago was this vial discovered and when does your Chief Butler have a day off?”

As the Princess answered, he motioned with his right hand to his faerie partner to chip in. A wordless ‘ask away if you wish.’

It was always good to see where she went with her questions as well. Sometimes another perspective was key, he had come to learn that slowly since teaming up with her. It was something he had thanked her for teaching him.

…He did thank her for that, right? Hm….Hm hm hm. No, perhaps not. Well, he meant to. He certainly did in his head. It was the intention that mattered certainly. Andrath resolved to remember to thank Zanna for the lesson.

Possibly. He might forget. There was a new case to solve!

Tag: Princess Jori & Zanna @TheAdmiral @Ktala

Ava G., Ktala, greyjedi125 and 4 others like this.
  8. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Milos Terric
    Location: Bridge, HIMAS Aquila, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

It was probably very true that the Emperor would probably skin him alive for messing with her or maybe for even just looking at her. Compared to her he was just a mere mortal commoner. Even if he was part of the military. By the look on the Prince’s face he was thinking about his sister and what she could potentially do to him maybe if this trip went belly up.

The Prince turned serious and he moved as close to Terric as he could so no-one else could hear “I am sure you have heard the reports. The Lizards are making a move.” he said in a low voice “My father believes there will be a war, so I guess we will either be the first ones to engage or we will manage to dissuade them from making that grave mistake.” the Prince pursed his lips “I hope it will be the latter as they can be a tricky opponent.”

Terriic responded quietly, his voice also serious, leaning in close to the Prince “I have read some, and I hoped it was not true. If the Lizards are making waves then this could be disastrous. To engage them in battle could mean that this flagship gets severely tested. And could end with a few holes in it. Which i’m pretty sure your father would definitely not approve of. Because i’m sure he wanted it back at least from this mission in one piece”.

The Prince sounded optimistic “I am sure that things will go fine.”

Terric however was not so sure “Your father believes there is a war coming so he must know something we don’t or he’s not willing to tell us and we are heading straight into a trap. And I don’t like opponents I don’t know too much about” which was true about the Lizard men, they were hard to read and hard to predict. Unlike others he had faced in the open sea these creatures were definitely a hard race to battle. And this time he was not in the sea but in the air.

In a massive craft that could come crashing down if hit right.

“I think neither may end well” he said with a slight sigh “Having a great big warship fly over them will set them off, unless we try to open relations diplomatically and keep the warship out of the way unless they turn hostile. I really do not want to engage first unless they do something that could be construed as a declaration of war. Because to fight these Lizards could mean that the Houses may be displeased about what happened and I could end up losing my job and standing in the Navy….and you could end up ousted”.

“I’m sure you know the rumblings going around Your Highness. If not I will tell you. If you go to war you could end up with the Houses going against you. You could end up with your father being ousted as well as your entire family, or maybe some of them. Some of my colleagues have been making some noise about your father, how he handles things, how he's handling the Empire. I brush them off of course but now those voices are getting louder. And I am worried for you and your family's safety”

“Because we could have traitors aboard….”

TAG: @TheAdmiral

9. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Zanna Wai'leena
    Orkon Boulevard, Basileus

As Zanna sat deep in thoughts of her own, she listened as Andrath rapidly fired questions at the Princess. At least she was an understanding sort of woman, as she seemed able enough to answer his questions, even if she did not answer them all directly. Zanna scanned the window again for a moment before she turned back to the table. Andrath was winding down now.

As the Princess answered, he motioned with his right hand to his faerie partner to chip in. A wordless ‘ask away if you wish.’ as Zanna was putting away her gloves.

Zanna kept a straight face, but it was nice to have a chance to ask a question. Zanna turned towards the Princess, giving the woman a slight bow of her head.

"I will try to be brief, Princess Jori. You stated that you believe that some nobles are using it, but it is difficult to tell, as they have a purer supply." Zanna stated. "What signs of impairment was your coachman exhibiting, when he was noticed?"

Zanna would not be surprised to hear if any had died from it. That would be a good reason for the Alchemists to stay quiet, and the State Security to dismiss it. Think about what it would do for business! Someone managed to do what they claimed could not be done? Then again, just because it looked like the fabled substance, does not mean that it was. But obviously, it did do something. Zanna looked back up at the Princess.

"And my last question. How many knew that you had this vial?" Zanna folded her hands delicately in her lap while she awaited a response, as she gave a nod towards Andrath.

TAG: @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral

Ava G., Shadowsun, TheAdmiral and 3 others like this.
  10. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    IC: Lady Delfina
    Deck of the Enterprise

Delfina perked up as she was introduced to Keela. An archaeologist! How exciting! And full Elven, to boot. She wondered which of the Elven houses the other woman hailed from. The dwarf was introducing himself as the Chief Engineer on the ship. Delf looked at him with respect. It was a position of responsibility, and one had to be quite clever to know how all the gears and levers and things worked. Their lives were in his hands. Tyler introduced himself, and she looked to the felinoid gentleman, who was the only one left. But before he could say anything, another man was walking up to them.

He seemed quite distinguished. His hair was graying at the temples and he wore a well-cut linen suit. Dr. Rouser, another archaeologist! Delf was dying to ask the two experts more about the quest, but it would be rude to do that when not everyone had been introduced. She looked hopefully at the remaining member of the party. "And you, sir? Are you also an archaeologist?"

TAG: @Darth_Elu

11. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Giniro J’andra IC:
    ~On board the Enterprise~

After a brief discussion, it seemed the noble lady and the tough looking human man accompanying her decided to join them after all. Well, that was nice to see! Camaraderie even across social classes. It seems even more would come from this adventure than he had originally thought!

Mieli confirmed that they had the ‘good kind’ of alcohol on board. It was hard to say, but most alcohol was the good kind to dwarves, the felinoid was pretty sure. Oh well, he’d take his word for it.

Giniro let out a smile and closed his eyes briefly in contentment as she came down the ladder. As she did so, he was completely oblivious to the other reactions of the others and this was just as well. Such things commonly went over his head.

“I’m Delfina of Parnassa. How do you do? I believe you’re part of the expedition too?”

Keela. I’m an…archaeologist. Just…love history and…stuff, y’know.”

The elven woman next to him suddenly seemed nervous, to which Giniro could only smile in encouragement. Poor girl, she was probably nervous about her ‘humble’ profession in the face of nobility! Oh, he shared that sentiment very much. The best he could do was try to reassure her later.

“I am the Chief Engineer Mieli Hartsson.”

“I am Lieutenant Tyler Petreus, for those who don’t know me I am in charge of the security of this expedition.”

“The Chief Engineer? That is quite the title, Mieli…I mean, Mr. Hartsson!” clapped the felinoid upon the minor revelation, though he also turned to look at the security head and bowed low as another person arrived to the group, getting their attention.

“I’m honored to meet you, Lieutenant. Our lives are in your hands then! Thank you!”

As he straightened, it looked like no one even really heard that last bit, focused on the new arrival as they were. Oh well.

“Greetings ladies, gentlemen. I’m Pascale Rouser, eminent archaeologist. I hope you don’t mind me intruding on your gathering but I was wondering whether I could join you. I would like to socialize and get to know you all before we jump ashore and get into the serious stuff.”

Another important archaeologist among the head of security, a noblewoman, and the Chief Engineer? Oh my. He was starting to feel rather minuscule and much-of-a-nothing by comparison.

Giniro was nearly startled when Lady Delfina still bothered to include him again by asking him a direct question.

“And you, sir? Are you also an archaeologist?”

He blinked a few times quickly in surprise then bowed again as if in apology. “Oh dear me. No, no. Nothing like that. I’m afraid I’m…not really important in comparison to you fine folks. My name is Giniro. Giniro J’andra. I’m…well, I’m just the zoologist on this venture. The animal expert you could say.”

Giniro gave a meek shrug, finding it rather hard to meet their eyes suddenly.

Tag: Mieli, Keela, Lady Delfina, Lieutenant Tyler, & Pascale @TheAdmiral @Reynar_Tedros @Mistress_Renata @Jerjerrod-Lennox

12. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    OOC: Thank you for the fun combo @Darth_Elu

IC Count Teirvonel Vanhetgoud, Lord Crystalglade
    Discussions upon leaving the Solarium

Upon receiving the Empress’ leave to depart, Teirvonel bowed to her, turned and departed the Solarium. Once back in the sun he basked in it for a moment, allowing the other Lord to depart the space as well. Outside the room he let his stride match that of the fairie and moved near to him again.

”Considering we just left that room with no official writ to do as we’ve been asked, perhaps we should take a moment to become better acquainted before we venture forth in pursuit of this goal. There is an establishment just outside the Palace walls, where various factions have an uneasy truce and so business may be conducted, with ambient noise high enough that conversations cannot be heard more than a step beyond the table. A fitting setting where two ‘outcast nobles’ could chat and do so relatively quietly.”

He chuckled, thinking about how discussions he’d observed while quietly drinking there had ended in blows, politics wasn’t always a polite business.

Lord Cinna Crystalglade also finished his tea promptly, stood while readjusting his cane and hat, and bowed to her at the same time as the Count.

“May the Empire continue to prosper,” he intoned smoothly before departing the Solarium and catching up to Vanhetgoud.

Indeed, the man seemed to wait for him before matching his pace as they moved along the gardens just beyond where they had first met properly.

Cinna glanced at him with an airy smile.

“Yes, she did leave us with rather a broad mandate, didn’t she. Please, fellow ‘outcast’, do lead the way! This ‘institution’ of yours sounds intriguing.”

In truth, he had an idea where he was being led to, but he had never had a real reason to step inside. So it would be quite the learning experience, if it was where he was thinking. Cinna allowed himself another grin as they moved.

“Ah, the sight of us moving purposefully through the Halls to our destination must soon be met with quite the stir already, I imagine.”

Most wonderful.

Teirvonel’s lip twitched in a half smile and led the way through the Palace grounds. He didn’t speak much as they walked, the walls of the passageways and corridors were notorious for having ‘ears’. When they reached the gates of the Palace, he nodded to the guards, then turned down the main street. Only a block from the Palace he approached the establishment he had mentioned.

Given it’s reputation the exterior gave the impression of a fashionable cafe by day and high end restaurant by evening. Teirvonel approached to front door, where a maitre’d stood at their station. Nodding to the woman, he requested a table and waited as she swayed off, then returned, gesturing for them to follow. Inside, the noise level was of the level he had mentioned but not to be overwhelming to the senses. Weaving through the press he could see nobles of most stations and races sitting in pairs or small groups, discussions occurring over tea or light meals. Along the fringes of each group were those who were of the highest non noble classes, hoping to add their beliefs to the discussion, or possibly being the true financial backers behind some of the causes.

Coming to an empty table where the maitre’d stood Teirvonel unclasped his sword and laid the small belt over the corner of the seat. Sitting, he waited for Cinna to seat himself. A waiter materialized from the press and when asked he requested an iced drink as the warmth of the room almost demanded something cool to soothe the throat. Sitting back he took a more relaxed posture, ”There are many and varied factions at Court, each seeking to further their cause as well as enrich their own coffers. I have yet to see many that would bring stability to the realm though.”

Cinna followed along and kept to the Count's lead in this instance, keeping quiet as he moved. As they approached the 'cafe' near to the Palace, he noted it was indeed what he thought. A first time for everything, he inwardly mused as they waited.

Soon enough they were inside and being seated, with the faerie lord leaning his cane against the side of the table, but tucked up close so it would be unobtrusive to those walking by. He himself asked for a surprise. When the waitress raised her eyebrows and came back with a 'Excuse me?'

He lifted his face and smiled at her. "You heard correctly, my dear. Surprise me. What's life without a little mystery, hm? I can tell by your countenance that you have superb taste, so I'll trust your opinion."

Smiling she nodded and left with their orders, to which he turned to face his current company, the ranger lord. Someone he truly had not expected to mingle with one-on-one. That statement before had been rather genuine. Life and its mysteries.

"Agreed," he stated as he kept his hands relaxed and rested upon his legs while he waited, "It is either the greed of material or monetary gain or that which has blossomed in recent days. As I said earlier, the circulating opinion of the Emperor's weakness, which has given rather untoward aspirations as of late, I imagine."

Cinna allowed his green eyes to study the Count closely. "Tell me, where exactly do you think those rumors originated from first?"

Teirvonel considered what he knew of the factions and where such rumors could have started. As he did, the waitress returned with his drink. He still did not know much of his new partner but this discussion could remedy that. Removing the Court gloves and tucking them into his belt, he lifted the already sweating glass, taking a slow drink through the straw, feeling the cool liquid run down his throat.

”There are, at least, several groups that would benefit from making others perceive weakness in the Emperor, whether it is there or not.” Lifting one finger, he continued, ”First among them would be the Houses most opposed to any of his policies. However, that would also make them the prime suspects in any investigations so if they are involved they must be doing so through cutouts, much as the Empress is doing here.”

He sipped the drink then lifted a second finger, ”Second would be those Houses that tend to align with the Emperor and his policies, but do not often profit from them as much as others. They are the least obvious of the main suspects because they seem more loyal but with their coffers suffering they have incentive to straddle the fence and allow rumors to surface, giving them an apparent reason to switch allegiances.”

A third finger lifted, ”The third and last of the immediate suspects, I’d say, would be those Houses that are the strongest and apparently the most loyal to the Emperor. It may seem counterintuitive to include them but we must ask, who stands to gain the most, possibly even the throne, should the Emperor fall? Their reasoning would be that of ‘for the good of the Realm’ when they would have been the ones to have created or added to the situation in the first place and their truest motive was to seize power.”

He sat back again, hand flat on the table and slowly twirled the drink in a small spiral, watching the straw swirl around as he did so. ”Of course, those are the first that come to mind, but with so many factions there are those that could be overlooked, like factions of the various nonhuman Courts that would benefit from the fall of the human led Realm, and there are still a few Dragons out there so potentially they could be involved somehow.”

His gaze drifted around the room, even here some of those potential factions could be discussing the same issue, albeit from the other side of the equation. They would not know, just as their foes wouldn’t know that those hunting them had just begun discussing the foes arrayed against them.

Cinna took his own drink as the human noble went over everything in his head. Watching him think, his gears practically turning before his eyes, was rather fascinating. Taking a sip, he eyed the drink. Hm. Decent. Best he could give it.

The faerie took another sip anyway. Sometimes one had to live with the results of their choices, for good or ill.

It was about then that the Count began to speak, ticking off each main faction among the nobles. Though this part was the basic knowledge that both were aware of, having it said out loud was a good way to organize their thoughts nonetheless. And good to see his full awareness of the situation. Cinna nodded along throughout.

“Quite right. And the next thing to consider is the lizardmen.” He took another sip of his drink. It tasted mildly better now that he was starting to get used to the flavor.

Cinna Crystalglade kept his gaze calmly upon the one seated with him the whole time, letting the ranger be the eyes scouting the area. Both of them would have caught attention. Would look a tad suspicious and that would not do, especially not this early in the game.

One hand idly came to rest upon the table and drummed its fingers across the surface softly in an idle dum-dum-dum dum dum-dum-dum-dum dum dum pattern.

“It would be remiss of us to not consider the angle that one of these factions, if not more, have something to do with spurring their recent actions on. Furthermore,” he smiled, “Outcast or not, you have a favorable reputation as a former ranger in lieu of being protection-minded regarding the realm. Our earlier conversation seemed to prove this, I’m glad to see.”

He pointed a finger at him and spoke no louder than necessary, “I daresay if we were to split up to investigate these factions it would best be the second that you mentioned for you to ‘align’ with. To keep tabs on their movements.”

Here he crooked his finger to point at himself, “As for myself. Why, I’m the oddball faerie. I fit in everywhere as much as anyone else is concerned. So it’d be more natural if I seem to appear leaning toward the first faction you spoke of. I can only imagine what I’ll hear from them.”

As for the very idea that dragons were lurking out there and trying to get involved with ruling matters once more, Cinna decided to remain silent. The very thought sent a shiver up his spine, it was best they were buried in the past at least in that regard. To go up against a dragon was not something he relished.

Teirvonel turned his attention back to the table and the fairie seated opposite. His eyes met his companion’s and there was a twinkle in them. ”Quite so, too many things are occurring at once for them all to be coincidences. While the new flagship is out on a ‘Show the Flag’ cruise, with the Prince on board, having the lizardmen becoming aggressive and the possible consequences should the flagship need to do more than negotiate with them has the potential to throw the Realm into even more chaos.”

Sipping once more from his drink, in this enclosed space it was warming rapidly, he thought about what Cinna had suggested for which factions each should attempt to insinuate themselves amongst. There were only the two of them, for now, so the fact they left the possibly more loyal but also the potentially most dangerous for last made sense, but they would have to investigate them at some point, and be their most discreet in doing so. The smallest slip with that group and he was certain the Empress would cut them loose and suddenly every faction at Court would be lined up to have their revenge. ”May you live in interesting times.” he whispered before taking another sip.

”I tend to agree with your assessment of which group we should each investigate, divide and conquer after all. There is the added benefit that the possibility exists that both factions may come in conflict, which would appear to pit us against one another, further driving down the suspicion that we are working together.”

A chuckle, that visual, first them having this civil drink and then them engaged in fierce debate, each ‘representing’ their faction, the members of said factions around them watching and trying to assist them both as they strove to have their cause put forward.

The chuckle broke off as he considered the lizardmen once more, ”The activity of the lizardmen is concerning. When a report is received from the flagship it could tell how concerning, but they usually do not stir up this much without a specific prompting.” He would make sure that when the report came in, they could have access to it, or at least he could, and would share his findings with Lord Crystalglade.

Cinna closed his eyes and nodded, taking in the imagery of the new flagship going ‘too far’ in its current mission, especially now that word was it was being sent to intimidate the disgruntled lizards.

The Count spoke true. Should things go that way, the chaos would be palpable and that was putting it lightly. This would not do. Cinna wanted many things, but an outright rebellion was not one of them. It was far too destructive to his tastes, even if the storied glories of war were tempting in their own way. But he was no warrior, so it only held so much for him before he could banish such thoughts.

“Mmm,” was his only audible response to it for the moment. Though he gave a small good-natured laugh at the little ‘blessing.’

“I have a distinct feeling, my friend, that we very much indeed live in interesting times.”

He wasn’t entirely sure if the whispered words were meant for him or not, but he felt compelled to reply nevertheless.

“You are quite perceptive to the benefits of the plan we’re forming. Yes, I think our alliance here today is going to prove to be a rather…invaluable boon to us both. Indeed, when we are done here, I say I make a little commotion on the way out. Put on a little play before I storm my way out, wouldn’t you say?”

His green eyes twinkled and his wings fluttered open in excitement for a brief moment, the stereotypical faerie mischief now on full display. “I wouldn’t be at all surprised if such a show got you your first overtures with your chosen group.”

The mischief died down a little however as he addressed the lizardmen problem one more time. “Let us hope for now though, that nothing overly dramatic occurs on the Stormy Shore.”

Teirvonel set down his drink, a small smile touching his mouth once more. His blue eyes mt the green of the fairie, ”Such a display should garner the attention we desire. How quickly the factions begin to make their moves is the question.”

His eyes broke from Cinna’s, scanning the room again, seeing the glances already moving away from their table, the curiosity in the eyes he saw. A light chuckle sounded as he returned his attention to Cinna.

”Given the attention we are already gathering, albeit subtle at the moment, the most forward of the groups should be approaching us very quickly. So this ‘upright Ranger’ is going to have to denounce the ‘filthy, hypnotizing fairie’ of course, as will the ‘noble, trusting fairie’ having to denounce the ‘jumped up Ranger who dares to be a noble’.”

“But,”
    he sighed, ”I have to agree, the best situation for all involved is that the flagship returns unharmed, Prince as well.” As the waitress returned, he gave the hand gesture that requested the bill, pulling several small gold pieces from the pouch on his belt. Lifting his glass, ”To our endeavour, may the enemies of the Realm quake at the thought of the unknown beings ruining their carefully crafted plans. Prost.”

Cinna smirked, his gaze pretending to drop down as if disturbed. Their first meeting was winding down and it was time to amp up the play even as he replied in earnest.

“I do believe that is what is called for, yes. This has been a rather unexpected pleasure, my dear ‘jumped up ranger.’”

His eyes had already taken a hardened expression, but the gleam in them that only Teirvonel could see said something else entirely. Instead of raising his glass, as that would clash with the upcoming act, he merely pretended to murmur something in reply. As if in disgust. Cinna took a ‘strained’ sip from his glass, setting down the glass and pushing it away as if the whole thing had turned suddenly sour.

“Pray be that our hunt goes well, the unjust fall to the truly righteous, and they know not the hands that fell them until it is too late. For the Empire. For Basileus.”

And with that, it was showtime. Act One was all in the ranger lord's court.

Teirvonel smiled behind the glass before he took a sip, the foes of the Realm were in for a deep surprise, those they both saw as foes that is. As he set down the drink, harder than was necessary, his expression took on a hardened gaze, his blue eyes now flinty.

”You call me here, fairie, under the pretense of business, of discussing a potential deal to further what could be mutual interest. And now insults?” His voice came out deeper, louder, and a touch harsh.

”I earned my way into Court, you fop. And how did you join it, just showed up and announced your presence?” A bubble of silence was beginning to expand around them, and as it did a slow, lazy wink, on the side out of everyone’s view but Cinna’s was directed at his companion. His hand came down on the table, the gold coins he’d laid there bouncing and rolling across its surface as the waitress, now pale at the exchange, darted in and laid the bill at his side.

”No business, none that I’d support, and now you insult me further by refusing to split the bill. Thank you,” the sarcasm dripped from his voice, ”but you have shown me your colors, either keep your word or depart my presence.”

Cinna parried Count Vanhetgoud’s enraged act with one of simmering repugnance. The look he had already adopted earlier held, hardening if anything, while one hand hastily pushed his hat to a more comfortable position on his head yet appearing absent minded.

His other hand gripped his cane hard, making his knuckles go white as he leaned back and flashed his fae eyes at the ranger.

“Insults? Insults you say? My dear ranger, I speak only objective truth. Ha! Our business was over the moment you started speaking your…what were they supposed to be? Ideas?

He stood up and faked humorless laughter. “And they say a faerie has no idea what he’s doing! You should go back to the wilds, at least there you were be somewhat useful! Earned your way, my wings! I donated that which others could only dream of to the royal family and the court! I did what any self-respecting lord knows what to do.”

Pushing the chair back with a rough kick, but not enough to topple it, Cinna grasped some gold coins of his own roughly in his pocket.

“You wish a split bill? Very well. Consider it the last coin you’ll ever see from me!” He shoved the currency onto the table, having them bounce all over the area.

“And do not bother spouting your loyalty to the crown nonsense to me again, you tedious excuse of a man!”

He spun on his heel, giving a quick flash of a smile (a little uptick at the corner of his mouth really) as he did so for the Count’s benefit, and with that hurried out of the establishment. That last line should help getting the right onlookers moving toward the man.

My, my. This had been a productive day. Good hunting to you, Count.

Teirvonel kept the hardened look on his face, adding a slight look of disgust, as Cinna departed, in a seeming huff. As the door shut behind the fairie, there came, from several corners of the room, muted applause, or slightly more raised voices, eyes darting toward him, either to give a look of repugnance as Cinna had or looks of interest, wonder at what the business could have been that caused such a show.

As the waitress approached the table again, he reached out, drawing all the coin toward one spot, counting out what was necessary. A hidden grin, between the two of them they’d laid enough on the table to give her a tip equal to the cost of the bill. ”Apologies for the disruption, dear, keep the change as way of a deeper apology.”

He sat back, lifting his glass in a seeming salute to those who had applauded, but in truth to Cinna, Luck be upon you in our endeavour, my new friend.

TAGS: @TheAdmiral, @Darth_Elu

Ava G., Darth_Elu, Shadowsun and 3 others like this.
  13. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Emperor Leopold V Atreus, State Security Director Erast Fandorin

The Emperor thought about what the Commander told him. He was a capable man, though Leopold had his suspicions of him. Despite that Richtoff was a brilliant mind and the development of the walkers boosted the strength of the Empire. They provided good support of the slower tanks and were able to traverse terrain that wheeled or tracked vehicles could not.

“Do try to make it a demonstration.” the Emperor half turned to the Commander “I do not want a fully blown conflict.” he gave a small smile “Diplomacy had not yet exhausted itself.” though judging by the frown the Director of the State Security gave him it looked rather dubious. Leopold the Fifth from the House Atreus was the last remaining optimist in the Empire…

The Prime Minister was another matter entirely. What he was telling him was so vague and non-committal that made the Emperor frown slightly. He knew from experience that you cannot please both sides in a conflict such as this one. There was more going on, but that will have to be put on hold until the other conflicts are resolved.

“Good, I would like to see your proposal in writing.” he gave him a pleasant smile “I think this should be enough for today, we have to save the Empire, our people demand that of us.” he loved bombastic speeches “Work awaits us gentlemen.”

TAG: @Shadowsun

IC: the Primarch

The flaming head snaked towards the Patriarch, the burning eye fixed the masked man with a glare “You should know your place, upstart...” he hissed and pulled back to observe them both “I am not sending her away. The missing pages are somewhere in Basileus, the fools are sailing without them into the unknown, but that does not mean that we cannot take advantage of their expedition.” the head smirked revealing a plethora of sharp teeth “My deluded brothers and sisters are looking for the pages too.” the Dragon cautioned “But, my dear, I think you can take care of that.” then a growling chuckle could be heard “Besides, these will be the least of their problems.”

IC: Prince Arturias Atreus
    Location: On-board the HIMAS “Aquila”, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

The Prince gave a resigned sigh “I really hope it would not come to blows.” he looked at the Captain “Hopefully my presence would serve as a deterrent.” a prospect he did not relish, but if it kept the peace that would be a role he would accept. “They are smart enough to know that if they harm me then the Empire will retaliate.” unless, he did not add, that was the idea.

“Every opponent has their weakness...” Arturias started “Besides, the Lizards are not as technically advanced as we are.” he smirked “Unless they have hidden something in those jungles of theirs.” followed by a humourless chuckle. “But make sure we are not within range of their known weapons.” the good thing about the Aquila was that it was large enough to be seen from a distance and still not diminish the effect that it had on people. Though whether that would work on the Lizards remained to be seen.

The Prince patted him on the shoulder “You are a good man, Captain...” he looked sadly “What you say is troubling, but don’t count my father out just yet, also there are my step-mother and sister, they should not be underestimated.” he chuckled again “Besides we are not alone in this, there are allies still.”

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox

14. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch

He was a fool to misunderstand the Primarch, this was certainly a setback.

"Forgive me, my Lord, I did not mean to question your orders." The Patriarch bowed his head in loyalty. To get on the wrong side of the Primarch would be a grave error in his grand scheme. Inside the Patriarch was annoyed yet relived, he did not like being made a fool of.

No matter progress must move forward. He was glad that he would have more time to learn about Magicite.

Knowledge of the other dragons pursuing these pages intrigued The Patriarch, it might provide an opportunity to eliminate them. He would enjoy examining these pages in detail, once Kardis got her hands on them.

He knew now he would have to make introductions for Lady Talathee at the Imperial Court, while the politics of the court were often a bore for The Patriarch, an annoying chore, he did look forward seeing how Kardis would fair in a political arena.

"My Lord, if there is nothing else you wish to discuss I will take Lady Talathee to the Imperial Court as requested." Again The Patriarch's demeanor and tone where nothing but respectful, out of necessity. His head bowed again, waiting for his master's response. He did not enjoy being the lackey of the Primarch but it was a necessary evil. After all who was he to challenge the might of the Primarch of the Dragons?

TAG: @greyjedi125 @TheAdmiral

William von Richtoff
    Ruling Council Chamber

Commander Richtoff listened attentively to the Emperor's words.

“Do try to make it a demonstration.” the Emperor half turned to the Commander “I do not want a fully blown conflict.” he gave a small smile “Diplomacy had not yet exhausted itself.”

How pathetic thought Richtoff. This is how imperial might will crumble, without lack of conviction. Still it was probably wise, a war with the Lizardmen could prove to be disastrous, on the other hand a war would put the other rebellious groups in their place.

Richtoff noted the Prime Minister's rather nothing answer. He was unsure of his goals and motivations, one to watch for sure. The emperor was like an open book, his 'cute' desire for the unification of the races was a noble goal, if that. What would it take for him to realize that humans were the ones destined to rule?

No matter hearing the rising influence of the Humans First group pleased Richtoff, a group he anonymously finically supported, he had to keep up appearances after all. Still it was best the government stayed stable, without it there would be no use for his walkers and with that is wealth would vanish.

"Of course, your majesty. And with the power that the HIMAS Aqulia will project, in combination with my walkers the Lizardmen will realize there resistance is futile." A small, wry smile broached the baron's lips. He did enjoy a show of military strength.

He eyed the Prime Minister, cautious about what he was to say next. "I know it is not my area of expertise, but could we not grant some of the reforms for the Proles and in return to the trading guild lower their taxes. A potential compromise, your majesty." The Prime Minister had given Richtoff an opportunity to expand his influence, one that he could not resist."

TAG: @TheAdmiral @Master Vo'Un'Var

15. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002

Witnessing the exchange between the Primarch and the Patriach was nothing short of exhilarating. Power, Will, Intellect, Influence, Longevity, Ambition, Dominance; These were but a few of the inherent qualities that demanded their rightful place in the Hieratic Scale of Hematic Principalities.

It was simply unconscionable to continue to allow humans to ruin the Realm entire in their collective hubris.They weren’t completely at fault however, as their short lives prevented them from reaching a greater level of awareness. Bliss and Ignorance were the rewards of a short existence.

Regardless, they would be shown ’Grace & Mercy’ after they resumed their proper place in the greater scheme of things. The Queen’s Augurs did foresee a 'New Age of Darkness’ that would come should the tide of events continue undeterred. For that very reason was she sent on this very important mission.

But now matters were quickly growing in intrigue and complexity. The Primarch now tasked her with the recovery of missing pages on the Ancient Ones, somewhere in the great city of Basileus. At once she knew this to be a test of her prowess, a challenge to her overall abilities -to perform and succeed- to prove herself.

Kardis silently enjoyed the thrill that coursed through her at that moment, her tattoos pulsed softly in response.

The fact that there were other interested parties looking for Elisander’s lost pages of the Ancient Ones -other Dragons and their proxies more specifically, well- let’s just say that Grand Cleric Ulthwe was wise to bring her to the Primarch -even if indirectly. Kardis looked forward to this challenge with great delight.

"My Lord, if there is nothing else you wish to discuss I will take Lady Talathee to the Imperial Court as requested." She heard the Patriarch say.

Kardis’ eyes glinted in anticipation, she allowed herself a small perceivable smile, then bowed her head before speaking.

“I am ready to do thy bidding, Lord Primarch.”

As she waited for a response and further direction, she did absently wonder if the Grand Cleric would make an appearance, because - everyone had a part to play.

Tag: @Shadowsun, @TheAdmiral

16. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Princess Jori Atreus

Jori restrained a smile “Of course, I will assign someone I trust to liaise with you and give you the information that you need.” she stated simply “I hope that is agreeable?” she gave a sweet smile at last “After all it will be very suspicious of me to carry boxes full of documents, some of which very sensitive.” she gave a polite chuckle as she covered her mouth.

“The problem is that I was informed by accident of the situation.” Jori sighed “You can say that I stumbled upon the situation.” she pursed her lips “I cannot really say when exactly it was discovered as they were trying to cover it up.” the Princess thought for a moment “The Founding Day is coming soon so the Butler is rather busy with the coming festivities.” she gave a small smile “But I am sure I can convince him to talk.”

Jori frowned for a second seeing the Detective signalling his lovely assistant. “As I said they were in the middle of a cover up.” she stated flatly “I am not sure whether or not they gave me the whole information, despite being threatened with being fired.” she paused “By they I mean the Chief Butler and some of the other footmen.” she clarified “From what I understand he was exhibiting sense of paranoia, sweating, dizziness, mood swings and intermittent magical abilities, though I am not sure this low quality can bring out any worthwhile capabilities.” she shrugged.

“You understand that the Palace is a place for gossip and rumours. Officially only I and the Chief Butler, the other footmen were not present when I confiscated it.” she said “Though I could have been observed or he could have spoken, so can’t really say.” Jori pursed her lips.

TAG: @Darth_Elu @Ktala

IC: Empress Maja Corioni Atreus

“Is that so?” the Empress’ interest was piqued “That is most intriguing.” she tapped her lips with her index finger deep in thought. Jori had her own agenda, she knew that, but bringing an outside player to the mix, that was a bold move, and also potentially dangerous. Especially if the player in question is a well known Detective, who can stir so much trouble and shuffle the decks. What was that about the draconium, she had heard about the synthetic version and its addictive qualities, but why was her daughter digging around that?

Maja restrained a shudder at the Jester’s last line. She did not care that much about the Prince, though he was the heir. The problem was that if something happened to him, that will also change the rules of the game and will set her husband on a course that she would not be able to direct. “For now I want you to keep your eyes and ears open for the doings of my daughter and keep tabs on the two do-gooders.” she then dismissed him with a gesture.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

IC: A Mysterious Stranger

As fairie Lord departed in such a dramatic fashion, a beautiful lady smiled at the exchange. It was an interesting display, some might even say almost theatrical. Of course given the capricious nature of that specific race one cannot be too sure. She had just arrived at this establishment, which was poetically called The Luna.

[​IMG]

A man was observing the exchange then looked at her looking puzzled as if asking what was that all about so she simply shrugged. The woman walked with a confidence and grace, allowing the waiter to take her coat and hat.

When she reached the table where the Count was still sitting “I hope you don’t mind me intruding.” she gave him a warm smile “But I think you will need some company, Count.” the lady sat as the waiter pushed back the seat “Given how your last partner departed in such a dramatic way.” she tilted her head “My name is Lady Eleanor Al’meera.” the woman said revealing herself to be a representative of one of the wealthiest Houses, whose allegiance was sought after, also one of the most enigmatic and secretive ones in the Empire. “I have always wanted to meet a Ranger in person.” the Lady said as she pushed back her glasses a bit. “I am sure you have some very exciting stories to tell.” she tilted her head and smiled.

TAG: @darthbernael

Ava G., Darth_Elu, Ktala and 4 others like this.
  17. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Milos Terric
    Location: Bridge, HIMAS Aquila, en-route from Aleyas to Basileus

Milos didn't put his hands anywhere near his rapier sword nor his pistol; it would give the game away to any potential traitors on board. But he hoped the Prince would take his concerns on board.

“I really hope it would not come to blows.” he looked at the Captain “Hopefully my presence would serve as a deterrent. They are smart enough to know that if they harm me then the Empire will retaliate.”

That was mostly true but the Houses could still use the Prince as a bargaining chip. “That may be true Your Highness but as you well know good strategists never reveal their true motives or strategies until the real shooting starts. They could still seek to harm you or take you hostage to use you as a bargaining chip. They don’t necessarily need to kill you to get a reaction. They are hoping your father will make a mistake and go bonkers so it basically validates their point that he might not be fit to rule”.

Same went for the Houses really if it ever came to blows between them.

“Every opponent has their weakness...” Arturias started “Besides, the Lizards are not as technically advanced as we are.” he smirked “Unless they have hidden something in those jungles of theirs.” followed by a humourless chuckle. “But make sure we are not within range of their known weapons.”

“I wouldn't be too overconfident in the power of the Aquila Your Highness. You are basing it on the fact that your power can confidently convince a species to just lay down. If they are riled already one false move and we could have a war and the traitors aboard will seize the opportunity to mutiny. A good strategist always considers both the strengths and weaknesses of an opponent and they may not have powerful weapons but they could still pose a surprise with the weapons they have. Yes we are technologically superior and could probably overrun them easily. The Aquila is the most powerful asset we have but we should only use it if things really get messy. We have the best crew also the Empire could offer and I don’t intend on wasting their lives in a battle that could go badly because I hate losing to an enemy that outsmarts me”.

The Prince patted him on the shoulder “You are a good man, Captain...” he looked sadly “What you say is troubling, but don’t count my father out just yet, also there are my step-mother and sister, they should not be underestimated.” he chuckled again “Besides we are not alone in this, there are allies still.”

“Let’s hope they are not behind these rumblings nor either started them because your father and your family are going to need all the allies they can get. You are a good man Your Highness and my only hope is that this can be resolved peacefully and with no trouble at all. The Lizards should hopefully at least know we are not there to blow them sky high, if they come at s….then I guess we will have to give them a demonstration but maybe just a little one. Causing genocide of a species is probbably not a good way to go either”.

He turned towards where the pilot was sitting “Takes us to these coordinates” and he rolled them off “But make sure we approach at half to a quarter speed I don’t want the Lizards to think we are coming to get them….”

18. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    Andrath Inageiros IC:
    ~Mind’s Rest, Basileus~

Princess Jori gave a tight smile, which Andrath noted but declined to remark upon. There wouldn’t have been a point to it.

“Of course, I will assign someone I trust to liaise with you and give you the information that you need. I hope that is agreeable? After all it will be very suspicious of me to carry boxes full of documents, some of which very sensitive.”

“But of course,” he replied simply. Indeed, that was exactly what he had intended. The idea of having the Princess herself running around like a glorified secretary would have been appalling!

“The problem is that I was informed by accident of the situation. You can say that I stumbled upon the situation.”

Oh? How interesting.

“I cannot really say when exactly it was discovered as they were trying to cover it up. The Founding Day is coming soon so the Butler is rather busy with the coming festivities. But I am sure I can convince him to talk.”

The elf nodded slowly to this, “Yes, I’d imagine there is much to do with the holiday coming up. I would very much appreciate getting him to cooperate, Princess.”

Andrath had wordlessly motioned for Zanna to ask a few questions herself, allowing himself to continue watching the Princess. The frown was noted. She was growing impatient. She had come to them, given the case, and now meant to move onto other things clearly. If they were to help solve this situation however, she would have to indulge them just a few minutes longer however.

“I will try to be brief, Princess Jori.”

Most wise, my excellent partner and associate.

“You stated that you believe that some nobles are using it, but it is difficult to tell, as they have a purer supply. What signs of impairment was your coachman exhibiting, when he was noticed?”

A good question. The Princess’ reaction to this would be telling, potentially. He watched her quite closely.

“As I said they were in the middle of a cover up. I am not sure whether or not they gave me the whole information, despite being threatened with being fired. By they I mean the Chief Butler and some of the other footmen.”

The list of those to question about Mr. Deep was beginning to lengthen some it would seem. Most excellent.

“From what I understand he was exhibiting sense of paranoia, sweating, dizziness, mood swings and intermittent magical abilities, though I am not sure this low quality can bring out any worthwhile capabilities.”

His eyes narrowed very slightly, but for the time being, his thoughts were kept under lock and key as he continued to listen.

“And my last question. How many knew that you had this vial?”

“An excellent question, Zanna,” Andrath complimented with a smile on his face that was aimed at her despite his eyes remaining on the Princess.

“You understand that the Palace is a place for gossip and rumours. Officially only I and the Chief Butler, the other footmen were not present when I confiscated it. Though I could have been observed or he could have spoken, so can’t really say.”

Mhm. A place of gossip and rumors. That was to be an understatement to be sure. The understatement of the day perhaps? Perhaps. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

The slight form of irritation beginning to settle into the young woman could be very advantageous to them in some respects. Many let loose with truths during such times, often without realizing it. Or after it was too late. But in this case as she was the woman who brought the case to them just now as well as the sheer fact that she was Princess of the Realm made that potentially moot. It would be unwise to detain her further.

As much as he would like to interview her more.

“Well, in any event, I think that about does it for now, your Royal Highness,” Andrath smiled lightly as he stood up.

“I believe it is clear to all in this room that we readily accept the case you have presented to us and will keep you informed as to its progress as necessary. I do not wish to delay you from your busy schedule any further, though if you have any other information, now is the time.”

He bowed to her, remembering a modicum of what was expected of one speaking with royalty now. A bit late, but oh well. Once done, he would move to escort her back to her vehicle outside with as much grace as he could muster. Being an elf, such things came naturally, so it was best to showcase them now and again.

Tag: Princess Jori & Zanna @TheAdmiral @Ktala

Ava G., Shadowsun, TheAdmiral and 2 others like this.
  19. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    IC: Chief Engineer Mieli Hartsson, Lieutenant Tyler Petreus
    On-board the exploration vessel “Enterprise”

They were joined by another human male, Mieli snorted, but said nothing. Another of those fancy-pants scientists poking around old and dead things. No profit there, if it were in search of lost technologies, he would have understood, but just making assumptions about people who were stupid enough to die out. Eh, at least the pay was good…

Tyler nodded to Pascale, he knew of his reputation from his grandfather. But if the Old Man was willing to work with him, he would do too. Though he was going to keep an eye on him. One wrong move and things might go South pretty quickly. Not that he relished the prospect, he was looking forward to a boring and uneventful trip, where he could spend some time with Lady Delfina.

Speaking of her, she seemed very excited to meet the others. That separated her from the other nobilities, who did not want to mix with the common folk. There were some exceptions, of course, but the woman seemed to accept them at face value. Either that or she was just an excellent actress.

She seems to have attracted the attention of the other female in the group. Something that puzzled Tyler and worried him about his prospects. A little competition can make things more fun and interesting though.

“Alright, alright we get it...” Mieli grumbled “The ale awaits us.” he grinned again and trudded towards the living area of the ship where the mess hall was. “Are ‘ya coming or not?” he turned to the others.

TAG: @Jerjerrod-Lennox @Mistress_Renata @Reynar_Tedros @Darth_Elu

IC: the Primarch

The fiery head simply nodded “Do so, Ulthwe will keep me informed of your progress.” there was a slight smirk and amusement in his voice as the Dragon was well aware of the animosity towards the Aeldari.

As with that the fire’s intensity diminished as the fierce visage of the Great Dragon started disappearing.

IC: the Bookseller
    Location: Alley near the Luna, The Fountain of Knowledge Bookstore

[​IMG]

The old man was putting the books that he was offering on the stand in front of his small shop. It was one of those quaint little bookstores where you could find some rare editions and volumes on topics that were not that popular with the masses. The stand in front consisted mostly of the cheap and not that rare editions. They were to provide with some cash flow to keep the store going. But the real literary adventure started within the small building. It catered to some elite and avid readers, who liked to delve into the occult, the strange and the magical, along with some forgotten histories, ancient classics, dialogues, monologues, biographies, tattered maps, obscure treatises. To each their own.

The old man saw a sight that you don’t see every day, a fairie lord. A slight smile formed on his lips. Maybe it was fate that brought that particular individual to pass by his store. Some say that such outliers had a role to play in historical events. Maybe he would find something here that will speak to him, that would be interesting to observe, such events spoke volumes as for the role the person was going to play.

“Ah, my lord, can I interest you in some light reading?” he stepped forward “Or maybe something deeper? Or something life changing? How about something illuminating?”

TAG: @Darth_Elu

20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    IC: Lady Delfina of Parnassa
    The Enterprise, en route to dinner

“Alright, alright we get it...The ale awaits us. Are ‘ya coming or not?” grumbled the Chief Engineer. Delf fell into step beside the felinoid.

"You are not at all the least important person, Dr. J'andra" she said with a warm smile. "You might discover some wonderful new species, you know! I am probably the least important person here. I'm supposed to be the registrar...I write down and keep track of what all the rest of you discover. Something any idiot could do, really." She turned her head and slowed so that she could turn to Dr. Rouser and Lady Keela. "So, are we looking for anything in particular? Lieutenant Tyler said we were looking for lost cities connected to the Ancient Ones. Which is terribly vague, but quite exciting." She flashed a smile at the handsome lieutenant, who seemed to be casting the other woman some rather intense looks. Oh, dear. Lady Keela was very beautiful, though. Delf couldn't blame him if he fell under her spell.

TAG: @TheAdmiral, @Reynar_Tedros, @Jerjerrod-Lennox, @Darth_Elu

Ava G., Darth_Elu, TheAdmiral and 3 others like this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: The Jester

The Jester paused, and peered at her, as is he could see through her very soul.

But he rolled his head, back and forth, as if trying to see around the Empress. "If that's what you want..."

He turned away, hands tucked behind his back. "Perhaps that's for the best, but what of your husband? Who is keeping an eye on him for you, I wonder?" He raised a hand, wagged a finger. "Because he's not the easiest to keep on-side, if he gets something in his mind...."

"I could have him attended to as well, of course... unless you have someone I should know about... I'd hate to trip over one of your do-gooders..."

Again he spoke as if telepathic, but surely he was not. "But if you wish me to simply pay attention to the whispers... what will you do, I wonder? Play the benevolent spider at the centre of her web?" At that, he abruptly dropped to all fours, and almost skittered, before jumping to his feet, and stepping close and around her, in her seats shadow. "Or will you be the shade to your husband, an extension of his will as if..."

"A Jester?"

He stepped away, bowed, and turned to go, obeying his dismissal at last, but eager to have the last word - or to encourage her to speak more of her plans...

22. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Zanna Wai'leena
    Orkon Boulevard, Basileus

Zanna carefully listened to the details Princess Jori provided. But she could tell the woman was getting a bit... frustrated, by so many questions. Royals aren't usually pestered for questions. So Zanna did her best to be very quick. Once the Princess was done, Zanna quickly gave the woman a bow. Andrath seemed to catch on to things as well because as soon as the Princess answered the last question, Andrath was talking.

“Well, in any event, I think that about does it for now, your Royal Highness,” Andrath smiled lightly as he stood up. Zanna moved quickly to join him.

“I believe it is clear to all in this room that we readily accept the case you have presented to us and will keep you informed as to its progress as necessary. I do not wish to delay you from your busy schedule any further, though if you have any other information, now is the time.”

He bowed to the Princess, and once again Zanna did a slightly modified version. She was NOT going to curtsey. Besides, the woman had given plenty of responses, and she knew that Andrath would be going over them quite thoroughly. All night if necessary. And they had not even unpacked from their last trip. Zanna fell behind when they started to leave, heading back to the front door. There was still something that bothered her slightly, and she kept her eyes attentive, while Andrath dealt with Princess Jori. Zanna flapped her wings very slowly, as she walked.

TAG: @Darth_Elu, @TheAdmiral

23. Shadowsun

Jun 26, 2017
    The Patriarch

As the fire became embers The Patriarch began to relax. He turned back to Kardis, his head now raised, the command now returning to his voice.

"I will have my acolytes prepare rooms for you and Ulthwe" he spoke matter-of-factly. "We will have to continue our discussion another time, we have business to conduct."

He made a lazy gesture with one of his hands. A faint wisp could be heard as wind flowed underneath the chamber door. It opened gently, almost as if the air had pushed it open. He began to walk towards the door, before pausing. He chuckled slightly and made a another gesture with his hand.

"Perhaps first before we go, a small gift is in order" He half turned to look back at the half-elf.

A small vial floated toward Lady Talathee. Filled with a blueish crystal. Synthetic Draconium.

"I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what this is." He smiled again behind his mask, the glint of his sky blue eyes seemingly flashing as he turned back toward the chamber door and walked out.

TAG: @greyjedi125 @TheAdmiral

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  24. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002

Kardis said a word of farewell to the Primarch upon his departure before turning to face her host.

The beautiful half-elf smiled pleasantly as the Patriarch resumed his more customary demeanor and offered her an Grand Cleric Ulthwe rooms.

“Thank you Patriarch, you are most gracious, however, I have rented Palatial apartment in one of the most prestigious locations is the city and must attend to pending business there.”

Kardis offered a curt nod, though she was uncertain if the Patriarch had actually acknowledged her words, as he now weaved his own arcane power to do his bidding.

At the mention of a gift, her eyebow rose in interest.

A graceful hand unfurled from her as she accepted the vial filled with a familiar bluish crystal.

Draconium.

“Well, Lord Patriarch, you have my many thanks.” She uttered almost musically as her eyes lingered on the very generous gift.

However, the Patriarch’s last words before leaving the chamber were… interesting.

"I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what this is."

So, there was something to figure out…because ‘it’ wasn’t what it appeared to be. Hmmm.

Kardis was now alone in the Chamber.

“Tan Sina”

She’d almost whispered the words, which caused her ring to flash and her tattoos to pulse. A light quickly engulfed the vial, shimmered then vanished. Kardis’ metallic eyes had shone as well, then her countenance darkened for the briefest moment.

Tainted Draconium.

Only the purest Draconium would ever grace Kardis’ lips. This vial contained poison.

Should she be insulted? Was this another test perhaps? Why give her the poison vial as a ‘gift’?

All good questions. The Patriarch’s last words could be construed as a veiled forewarning, and that at the very least worked to his credit, though it could also be artful maneuvering on his part. Kardis could appreciate that.

A smile of amusement grew on her beautiful face then. Basileus was growing more interesting by the moment- which did nothing to alter her mission so far.

Kardis released the vial, which simply remained suspended in mid-air. A subtle movement with her hands caused a flash - which materialized a Wand of Regency -crafted of beautiful Dracomium and Magicite - to appear in her hands.

Quick cursive movements ending with a sweeping arc were joined with a verbal component.

“Andondi palime”

Instantly a portal opened, and gracefully Kardis stepped through, as if through a doorway of silken curtains. The vial followed dutifully behind her and they all disappeared from the chamber in a literal flash.

She had Lost Pages to find for the Primarch and would not brook distractions at this time, no matter how mysterious and tantalizing they might appear.

Tag: @TheAdmiral, @Shadowsun

25. AgentViper007

Mar 9, 2005
    IC: Pascale Rouser

The felinoid was suddenly looking a bit down thinking he was not as important than the rest, but Pascale thought differently.

The noble looking female spoke after the chief engineer had a little bit of a moan. So impolite, Pascale inwardly shaking his head.

He looked at everyone "We all have our part to play in this mission. Whether we write things down" he looked to the noble lady "And whether we look at animals" he looked at Giniro "whatever we do on this adventure" he looked at the elven lady "We shall all become part of a new chapter in history. A part of something truly exciting" his blue eyes sparkling.

He casually folded his arms across his chest watching the play between the noble lady and the Lieutenant. This was interesting, he seemed to be not the only one who tried the flirting game.

"In answer to your question milady, yes we are looking for the Ancient Ones. But unfortunately not much is known about them apart from legends and tales. But that's what makes it more interesting is the fact that we are venturing into the unknown. That these beings could have been worshiped as God's, could have been instrumental in maybe creating civilisations and cities. I suppose we will only know when we get there".

"But we are not just concentrating on them, we have other tribes to visit. Tribes that may have never been visited. And probably plenty of animals to catalogue too" he grinned at Giniro. "We may come across temples and tombs that are millenia old. Something for you two ladies to pop in your scrapbooks".

"I don't know if my esteemed colleague" he gestured to the elven lady "Has anything to add, but I would love to discuss things over drinks as our Engineer friend seems to be in a hurry".

TAG: @TheAdmiral , @Darth_Elu @Reynar_Tedros , @Mistress_Renata