main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your opinion of George Lucas in 2020...

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Darthvader1975, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    All anyone needs to do is look up American Zoetrope and Lucasfilm. George has left unique footprints on every decade of his film making since 1969.

2. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    still think the mans a genius for creating star wars and the impact has had on many peoples lives. Hopefully disney will continue to build on the legacy he left them when he sold it

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It's hard to think of one person who gave the world so much entertainment. The list is short. Walt Disney. Elvis.

4. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I've read all the puzo books.

A master storyteller

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's a common misconception that has no basis in reality. The reality is that he did get feedback from others, he asked for it. He had was the freedom to decide how things went, which is a privilege (not a danger) he earned with his success and independence.

6. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Its a shame Disney silenced Rinzler to confirm what went off and its telling he hasn't seen either TLJ or TROS.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

7. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Not to mention, Lucas did want to give directorial duties to others initially for TPM at least (including Spielberg, no less).

Ultimately, it seemed we got the right pairing with him and Filoni for TCW. :)

8. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I have great respect for George Lucas and HIS works, it made me depressed and sad when he sold the franchise though.It seems a lot of people did not or still, do not like the prequels,but I see them as a time of movie effects experimentation that still affects movies today. Yes, some things in the prequels could have been improved on(emotional reactions of characters) but I saw the new technology that was in development in the movies as well as the stories, I allowed myself to overlook any lacks and appreciate in the new effects department. I see Disney's Star Wars efforts as a "remake" of the original movies, in their image. I am not impressed. I memorized almost all the musical scores from the first 6 movies but can't remember or hum along with the sequel shows! I have great respect for John Williams but the scores from the Disney movies didn't have the emotional impact as the original G.L. movies, I think, my opinion, George gave John more freedom with the scores. But, as I have always said, "It's Star Wars by George!"

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Correct. But ultimately he found it easier to do it himself than telling and explaining others what to do.

10. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I have always loved the family story inside Star Wars. George wrote something that drew me in and made me laugh, cry and root for good to overcome evil. Ships technical specs, weapons, armor, none of that mattered to me. I could care less if asteroids are spray painted potatoes. My mother introduced me to Star Wars as a young child and I passed my love of the story to my own daughter.

The Mandalorian Gallery episode where Dave Filoni breaks down the family aspect of the first 6 films to the directors just made me appreciate George Lucas as a storyteller more than I ever had before.

11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    My feelings for Lucas as a storyteller has not changed in a long time. And my initial feelings for him as a storyteller were a lot more negative when I was younger.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    George will always be the heart and soul of SW. I look at Luke Skywalker and Anakin Skywalker as extensions of who he is and an exaggeration of his youth and learning to be who he is.

Even the worst film is his hexology in my eyes, ROTJ, is improved by the films he made after, creating a 6-part epic following one family and making one man's journey from hero to villain and back again an exciting and compelling story.

My expectations with Disney are not high. I did not like the ST, especially TROS, but that doesn't mean I'm not keeping my eye open for future endeavors. However, the reason I keep coming back to SW is because of George. Six movies, two cartoons, and a hell of a ton of EU.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  13. Artichoka

Artichoka Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2020
    He definitely has appeared to have moved on, but it's time to give it to a new generation. Admittedly, I am not a fan of the direction it has taken and wish Lucas would take the reins back and redo the last trilogy.

Count Yubnub and Emperor Ferus like this.
  14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    George Lucas is a true artist and a visionary. One of the best filmmakers to ever live.

15. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I'll be honest, when I found that George Lucas wasn't going to be making Episodes 7, 8, and 9, I had mixed feelings. It was a different time. I was heavily invested in the EU at the time and I wanted that universe to continue. There was conflict between Lucas's vision and the EU, which was made evident by the many contradictions that were willfully made in TCW, and I knew that if Lucas were to make the ST, it would be the end for the EU.

I was never a Lucas hater - I love all of his Star Wars films and he is easily one of my favourite filmmakers - but I found some of his later decisions frustrating, mainly making the original cuts of the films unavailable and disregarding the EU. I remember feeling very conflicted at the time. I wanted to love everything Star Wars, but it seemed like Star Wars was at war with itself.

Fast forward several years and the EU has been de-canonized by Disney, I have made my peace with it, and I feel like I can look at things more clearly. I have found my respect for Lucas has increased considerably since the Disney purchase. I always respected him, but I think I took the originality and creative integrity of his films for granted. I didn't think an ST made by someone else was going to be the end of the world. I mean it can't be that hard right? Just have a new generation of Skywalkers, a new order of Jedi, and a new threat to face the New Republic. Give it to a good writer and a talented director and it should be fine. I never dreamed just how creatively paralyzed a Hollywood-produced ST would turn out, how little imagination or regard for the overall storyline it would have.

It made me realize just how unique George Lucas is as a filmmaker and how Star Wars was as a franchise.

16. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I worship George Lucas!

Jokes aside, I am very thankful for the universe he has created for us to enjoy. Always been a huge fan since I was a kid.

bb8isno1 likes this.
  17. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    If George had left the OT alone or at least provided proper original releases for them in HD I'd have more respect for the man. The fact that I have to watch the DESPECIALIZED EDITION of the OT is a shame.

18. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I would like to point out that Lucas got more involved with the Clone Wars CGI series after season 2. His daughter Katie joined the writing team and he got more involved.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  19. a misunderstood genius