main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Share your very local news

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi Anne , Aug 11, 2020.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So I'm curious what is happening around the world, and not the big thing. Nothing about viruses, wars or politics, what are the news stories that when read/heard you can be sure that they are from wherever you are located?

I'll start with main story on local radio - a beaver jumped into a garden pool and swam around "all the pool toys were flying around and there were heavy waves, I got ****** scared before I saw what it was" says Carola about the surprising visitor.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Doesn't get more Toronto than this.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I forgot a picture of the beaver

[​IMG]

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Southern California had a series of earthquakes yesterday, which puts a lot of focus on the San Andreas fault line at the moment.

Pensivia and DarthTunick like this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Facebook and Instagram have banned photos of Zwarte Piet. TF.N to follow

[​IMG]

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I live in Georgia. So... it's pretty much all Virus, all the time.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Near-ish to where my old Walmart is. :p

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This happened in my old neighborhood

9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    A tornado touched down in Rogers Park yesterday, the first time in more than a quarter century that I've lived here that a tornado touched down within Chicago city limits. Also, more than 700 parents attended last night's virtual town hall meeting on the remote learning plan for our high school this fall.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Runjedirun likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The restaurant at the gas station 5 minutes up the road has a take-out special for lobster rolls. They're pretty good.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think the "big" news here is dealing with storm cleanup from the storm that hit most of Illinois yesterday and "move in" at Illinois State University, which is even less exciting than it usually is what with college students being generally pretty stupid and a pandemic going on and all.

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    San Jose is holding a competition to make a “landmark,” something memorable that will represent San Jose the way the Golden Gate Bridge represents San Francisco or the Arch represents St. Louis.

I think it’s just what this city needs. One of my favorite designs is for a museum of digital art and technology that looks like a cloud.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Fires in the day, chases in the evening:

:p

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Some guy with orange hair living in a white house is really making a nuisance of himself.

Sorry, you did say very local news :p

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Wow, it really is a small world after all! :p

16. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My postal address is Ypsilanti, MI, but Ypsilanti is something close to an actual city, and the news seemed just slightly too interesting. So I tried searching on Pittsfield Township, MI, which is the geographic nonentity in which my house is physically located.

The first result was this, which I have not altered in any way:

News Flash - Pittsfield Charter Township
    NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Pittsfield Charter Township Zoning Board of Appeals meeting regularly scheduled for Monday, August 24, 2020 at 6:30 PM has been cancelled due to a lack of agenda items.
    Not my Pittsfield Charter Township Zoning Board of Appeals meeting! =((

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    New York City’s oldest beer garden – Bohemian Hall in Astoria, Queens – has been shut down for violating health rules during the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday.

3sm1r likes this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A DPD van will stop in front of my home at some point today.

Pensivia likes this.
  19. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    For decades, the Detroit Police Department has had the reputation of only going places where white non-Detroiters hang out, but driving all the way to Europe seems excessive, even for them.

darthhelinith likes this.
  20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Hometown is 'enjoying' another round of being in the news because there was a report of a fight (cops say they were told two males were attacking a third with a skateboard, woman says she called it in that a man with a knife was attacking two teenage boys that defended themselves with skateboards). In either case, the teenage boys were held at gunpoint by an array of law enforcement that showed up with rifles. Even though skateboards are not ranged weapons and there was healthy distance between cops and the teenagers. Made much worse because both of the teenagers are black in an otherwise very white area.

This has also fairly well squashed (well, it should've anyway, but it hasn't) the argument from all the people that said there shouldn't be protests here because the sheriffs were great, and the problems are only in other places' law enforcement. The last 8-10 months have... not been good for the city.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The local university is conducting a study on the spread of the invasive Spanish slug, also known as "the murder slug", and how large a lawn it needs to move around on in a day. This got a very long article in the local newspaper, even though it's possibly the most boring study ever conducted.

22. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    A group of teenagers have left empty baking canisters around the local ancient anglo-saxon beacon and number 27 has had a deflated helium balloon stuck in it's privet for no less than three days.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    solojones and Sarge like this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    In a bold and highly controversial cost-cutting move, the village's leaf collection program is being cut from 8 weeks to 6 weeks this fall, and won't begin until November.

Pensivia and gezvader28 like this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Whataburger is coming to my home town. This is actually partly because Patrick Mahomes willed it.

Juliet316 likes this.