main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Going Postal: The 2020 U.S. Presidential Election

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm such a big fan of how desperate this whole fiasco makes Trump's inner circle look right now.

2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Are there any fiascos that make Trump's inner circle seem confident?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Are there any campaign laws being broken by the two campaigns working together/meeting secretly?

Not that it would ever matter anyways, cuz that's where we are now.

Runjedirun and Yodaminch like this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Making America great... for lawbreakers in office

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Sure, on its face it looks like another impeachable offense, but if no one can/will/would hold Trump accountable for holding the Republican National Convention on the White House lawn, then why would colluding to set up a fake presidential campaign be a problem?

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Just like to point out that I've been criticizing Vivec over his fascist authoritarianism in the **** posting thread for months now. It's hard to know why I'm still alive.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is patently incorrect. Glitter posted a suggestion that people have "taken for granted" the support of white suburban women. I directly contradicted that, both with by offering evidence of ongoing efforts to capture their votes, and by literally using the words "I don't think."

This post was incorrect in its very premise, and de-railed the whole thread into personality-based discussion. If you found something actually defensible in Glitterstim's point--which even he himself retreated from to instead claim that outreach to this group was alienating--you probably ought to have simply said so, instead of trying to prop up a lame commentary about me.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, they're not wrong about her voting record in terms of progressivism -- so in framing it to that very small niche viewpoint they are technically correct, which is (as we all know) the best kind of correct?

Yodaminch likes this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    They define leftism as views and policies they disagree with, and the more they disagree with it, the lefter it is.

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    There was a debate on DemocracyNow between a former Sanders staffer (Gray) and the founder of She The People (Allison) about Kamala Harris.
    Gray was obviously criticizing Harris' record on several aspects, while Allison was stressing the importance of Harris' nomination for the representation of woc. What is particularly interesting is how uninterested Allison was to any policy detail. She was quite explicit about it. Harris' historic relevance is based on her identity only and virtually nothing else matters.

I do recognize that identity politics does matter, even though it has a purely symbolic relevance. My problem with it is that when it becomes the only thing that deserves to be considered, it can be used as a cheap political tool to give people the feeling of movement while they're actually as steady as a stone.

On the other hand, identity politics is clearly much easier to sell than meaningful policy programs, for obvious reasons.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "Technically not wrong" is the only kind of right I want to be.

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's the height of class privilege when you don't care about actual issues but instead only care about the identity of the candidate. It means things are going well for you, financially speaking.

Abadacus likes this.
  14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Here is their announcement video:

15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It's not an either/or situation though.
    Take wokeness, for example.
    There's very little doubt that overfocusing on wokeness is very elitist. But it doesn't mean that it's a bad thing in a general sense. The same is true for identity politics.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So if she bumps off Joe she can be president?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Briahna Joy Gray is the absolute worst though -- so it wouldn't have mattered what anyone said. Even Sanders had to disavow her (and Sirota). She's outright said there was nothing Biden could do to earn her vote. She's Vivec-lite, except (probably) richer.

bluealien1 likes this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I saw an interesting analysis of that photograph of Biden telling Kamala over zoom conference that she is the VP pick. Biden had a script in front of him, and there appeared to be somebody on the phone along with them. Just from looking at that photograph and analyzing it that way, they don't appear to actually know each other very well. Despite having a few photo ops of them together on the campaign trail.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Because I'm a sexual assault survivor and Biden has sexually assaulted at least one woman. I do hope Biden wins, but I can't lend my vote to someone like that.

Abadacus, Rew, Darth Guy and 3 others like this.
  20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Some black leftists I follow have made the point that this is an evolution of talented-tenth ideas, and identity politics have become the "trickle down economics" of Democrats, a political theory that doesn't actually work.

Abadacus likes this.
  21. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    No. This whole thing is an elaborate scheme to make Nancy Pelosi president.

Harris is ineligible to serve because she's an anchor baby. If Biden wins he'll resign within a few months and then the presidency will default to Pelos as a result.

This "The More You Know" moment brought to you by Facebook.

22. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I only vote for candidates who's BFF...FORVER!!! This is a major blow.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Cue Trump demanding to see her birth certificate.

Actually, let’s hope that happens because you just know Kamala will hammer him for his taxes then.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    We found a black woman too outspoken and too opinionated for dp4m

Abadacus, Rew, Darth Guy and 2 others like this.
  25. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Well compared to him and Obama, who jogged laps around the White House together and were always posting smiling selfies with one another while wearing sunglasses, should we expect any different?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.