main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you like and dislike about the Disney era so far? SEE WARNING ON PAGE 7

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DJT, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    I’ve liked everything (films, TV, literature, games) released in the Disney era of Star Wars so far because, the way I see it, it’s all Star Wars to me. I don’t like it all equally and I know that at some point, it’s very likely I’ll be disappointed with something Star Wars-related that Disney puts out, which is okay. As far as the films go, I think Solo was the most underwhelming, even though I still enjoyed it. (And I rewatched it for the first time in a while a few weeks ago and liked it significantly more.) I also think a lot of Star Wars fans have a hard time distinguishing what they enjoy and what is objectively flawed. For example, I know the Sequel Trilogy is FAR from perfect, but it doesn’t make me love those films any less.

What I don’t like about Disney Star Wars is the lack of planning and obvious commitment to profit over quality. They dropped the ball big time on the Sequel Trilogy by not having a more cohesive, structured outline of it from the very beginning and by assuming that letting different directors handle each film would somehow create a coherent narrative that worked the way the previous two trilogies did. I LOVE the Sequel Trilogy, but The Rise of Skywalker made it very obvious that Disney and Lucasfilm were winging it in a lot of areas with the whole trilogy, which really hurt it and hindered it from amounting to everything it had the potential to be. I also think, even in spite of this, if they hadn’t pushed so hard for the film to make its scheduled release date, JJ and company could’ve had more time to work with it and make it a better film. (Again, as someone who loved it, I still fully acknowledge it’s extremely flawed and could’ve been much better.) I don’t want to see Star Wars suffer the fate that a lot of other Disney properties are facing, where it’s just another big moneymaker that has to hit a deadline whether it’s good or not so they can make their money, check it off their list and move on to the next project.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    What I disliked was the intentional effort to move on from the past so immediately at the start, and not allowing that to happen in its own time. I genuinely thought that TFA was the first of what was to ultimately become six films. Where the ST would simultaneously flesh out the Skywalker timeline, while introducing us to a new set of characters who would then go off and have another trilogy of their own after the ST. But to just shove the new characters in so suddenly and say "here, this is what's important, all that other stuff that came before, not important" was just way too abrupt. Ending 40 years of SW fandom in the span of two movies, and an in universe span of a few hours, and then making the third installment feel completely disconnected to anything that came before it, was just a complete disservice to the greatest franchise in film history.

Miles Lodson, Merrin, wobbits and 3 others like this.
  3. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Considering what they did to Han, Luke and Leia, i would be fine with Sequels without them.
    And i dislike using Millenium Falcon, Palpatine, Vader's helmet and set pieces from the OT for nostalgia's sake.

Miles Lodson and Merrin like this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I dislike the whole Sequel Trilogy. Also dislike that they turned the books into crutches for the film and barely expand the story, instead of expanding the boundaries.

I mostly like Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, Solo and Doctor Aphra.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    For what the Sequel Trilogy did to Luke Skywalker, it will always be as one of my favorites in the saga TLJ stand with the best of the OT and the PT. I Dislikes the lack of planning and one voice for the trilogy. I loved what This trilogy did to Leia and Palpatine. I led Han Solo more inthis trilogy and Solo movie more then i did in the OT. Clone Wars, Rebels, Rogue One, Solo, all the Vader comics and TLJ i love.

6. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    One thing I dislike is the Darth Vader fan service that they love to do.I'm talking about the scenes where Vader shows up and kicks the hell out of everyone like they are nothing.

If Vader was that powerful then episode 4 would start with Vader slashing rebels on Tantive 4 instead of stormtroopers attacking them. Vader was more a war general than being a warrior in front lines.(Yeah in Battlefront games he is like that because that's a video game)

Vader = Weak and slow version of Anakin.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Anedon and -NaTaLie- like this.
  7. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    that's the best scene of the entire saga imo

JeeediMoriah likes this.
  8. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    I disagree. Dark Side is supposed to make you more powerful. Otherwise no one would think it's worth the cost. And Vader would be one of the weakest Sith ever if your description would be true. Star Wars has expanded and grown so much since the OG trilogy, which was not planned ahead and many things changed on the fly, so you can't take it completely seriously. Which is why the prequels are my favorite SW trilogy, because of the world building, etc. Makes it feel most "real" Star Wars to me (I became a Star Wars fan through the Old Republic stuff so that may be why).

Anyway, things I like and dislike...

I dislike the way Disney claimed they want artistic freedom and that's why they made EU into non-canon... yet they are constantly robbing all the best ideas from the old canon or legacy or whatever you call it. I dislike how 2/3 sequel movies were nothing but recycling the best parts from the original trilogy and using nostalgia and fanservice as a way to buy some cookie points from casual fans.

I dislike how TFA and TROS destroy Lucas' legacy. TFA doesn't work as a sequel to Return of the Jedi. It simply doesn't. The only way it would work is if Luke and the others never actually managed to overthrow the Empire despite killing Palpatine and Vader... I would've actually been okay with that. The First Order however is stupid replacement for the Empire and just like everything else is just copying stuff from the old movies (while rather lazily pretending they're not) instead of trying to do something original and new.

I dislike that J.J Abrams was let anywhere near Star Wars. Huge mistake.

I dislike that Disney actually didn't care enough about their own investment to hire a group of talented writers to plan the future of the franchise and the worldbuilding like they absolutely should've. The sequel trilogy is an atrocious abomination because of this. Not only does the 3 movies not work as a cohesive trilogy but it's also at odds with the six previous movies. How anyone can call themselves a Star Wars fan and say that TFA and TROS are good movies is truly beyond me.

I like Solo (and especially the new character Qi'ra and her connection to Maul), Rogue One and TLJ (it had some stupid stuff of course, but it was the only part of the sequel trilogy I genuinely liked and enjoyed).

Overall even though I hated TFA and TROS I'm still glad that there are these new Star Wars movies and tv-series and videogames, etc. Disney made some huge mistakes with the sequel trilogy, but other than that it's been mostly good.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  9. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Dislike: So far, the only property I can't seem to watch is the Resistance show. Can't get past the animation.

Love: SW 1-VI.

10. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    Very healthy attitude.

Not sure if anyone here has read those "Making of..." books on ANH, TESB, ROTJ. I have read all three many times, and it's a wonder how these films got made. The issues, and problems they had. SW films are NOT easy to make. The fanbase makes it's sound like they could pump out these flicks with ease. How hard could they be, right? Read those books.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  11. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    OMG, I did a double post! Now triple. So sorry.

12. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I like that scene. It fleshes Vader out somewhat as a character as both a fearsome physical warrior and, as we see later in the original trilogy, a cunning and manipulative villain. He can still fight though, and brushes Luke off easily in The Empire Strikes Back. When he appears in Rogue One, he is desperate to stop the Rebels escaping with the plans, so he cuts through them in a bid to stop their escape. When we see him again, with the Rebel ship captured and all the Rebels either dead or prisoners, he is still aggressive, as we see with the choking of the Rebel officer, but he doesn't have to be quite as physical. We see him taking steps immediately to recover the plans. I personally think it works, although I do see what you mean.

Rogue One and The Mandalorian have been the high points of the Disney Era so far.

Lowest point was probably The Rise of Skywalker, which is nonsensical.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Likes: Literally everything! The films and shows have told great stories with incredible characters, both new and old. The overall look of the films and shows have been absolutely stunning as well. It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan!

Dislikes: People acting like their lives have been ruined by a few films and then bashing anyone who says they like them. Grow up.

miasma, Darth__Lobot and bb8isno1 like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012

Dislikes: Fanbase. TROS

15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I really enjoyed Season 2 of Mandalorian. Very cinematic. Continues to be an excellent series.

I'm looking forward to all the other announced TV shows. Great to see all that Star Wars content coming to Disney Plus.

All the High Republic era content that has been released so far has been wonderful, and I'm excited to see more stories told in that new era of Star Wars history. The coordination between the different creators of the High Republic project is also noticeable in their work and very appreciated by me.

Mostly Handless and Iron_lord like this.
  16. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Disney Era Dislikes: 'fans' on the Internet/twitter + everything except those listed below
    (especially dislike the 'Legends' rebrand of the older expanded universe considering the new ancillary content is of such low quality)
    Disney Era Indifferent: Solo (it is what it is, but good it is not)
    Disney Era Like: The first half hour of TFA, Catalyst, Rogue One, Rebels seasons 3 and 4, TCW season 7, The Mandalorian

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I like the Disney Star Wars a lot I enjoyed the ST, The two Anthology films and The Mandalorian, I have to say I was skeptical when it was announced GL was passing over the reins to Disney but in my personal opinion havent let me down yet and we still have plenty more TV and films to come which can only be good.
    My only gripe is the anti sequels and anti KK stuff you get

18. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    This is an undervalued point you make. If you go back and read about Lucas' original plan for the sequels, and his conversations with Kasdan about them when the ROTJ script was being written, you can see that Lucas shelved his original plan for ROTJ the sequels, which would have had Luke defeating Vader in ROTJ but the Empire and Emperor surviving, and Luke's sister not being discovered until the sequels. Lucas obviously collapsed all that into ROTJ and really only left open the rebuilding of the Jedi by Luke as the only way forward post ROTJ, but supplemented that greatly with the PT and gave the possibility of Luke now solving the problems of the old Jedi in a new order that he would help create.

Kasdan, being aware of Lucas' original plans for the sequels, obviously baked those into the Disney Trilogy. Rey stands in for Luke's sister, Snoke and Palpatine for the Emperor, the First Order for the Empire. But in doing so it basically ignores the new set up that Lucas created in the prequels and the post-ROTJ storytelling possibilities that he created.

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  19. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Loves:

- Rogue One: IMO easily the best Star Wars movie made since the OT and honestly it's probably my 2nd favorite SW movie now (after TESB). In fact (again IMO) it's the only actually great Star Wars Movie made since the OT.

- Mando: Good show, quite entertaining.... a little repetitive, but great production value.

- TFA: Starkiller base was dumb, but the rest of the movie was well executed and they certainly had the seeds for something interesting.

Dislikes:

- TRoS: Pretty bad, although I give JJ a bit of a pass because of the giant mess he was tasked with cleaning up (but only a bit of a pass :))

Garbage:

- TLJ: Kennedy should be embarrassed she allowed this to be released. Not only was it not a great movie - it actually wrecked their entire trilogy.

Neutral:

- Solo: Saw it once, can't remember anything that happened, haven't bothered to watch it again.

Future:

- Quite excited about the Obi-Wan show and the boba-fett spin off. I like the new TV/single movie stuff ..... we've had enough saga films for awhile.

Bonus - I thought bringing Boba Fett would be bad and stupid... it ended up being awesome. Total credit to the writers and the actor; I'm pretty surprised they pulled that off so well

20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Love: Rebels, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, The Mandalorian, The Clone Wars season 7

Like: Solo, The Bad Batch

Eh: The Force Awakens

Hate: The Rise of Skywalker

Didn't Bother With: Resistance

As for the future, I think the projects I'm looking forward to the most are Visions and The Acolyte, since they seem to be the most ripe for branching away from the "core" Star Wars stuff we've been getting so much of lately. Also the fifth Indiana Jones movie, since Mangold impresses me a lot as a filmmaker and one last adventure with Ford as Indy is an exciting prospect (and we're in the overall Lucasfilm section here, after all).

Mostly Handless likes this.
  21. DarthKreVass

Dec 27, 2008
    Hey all, I realize what I dislike (hate is a really too strong of a word to use for TV/Movies) about the Disney Era Star Wars. Ya know that "intro" that runs at the beginning (The Mandalorian, and Bad batch) where it shows all those colored "masks" or "driods", or whatever and ends with the SW logo. Yeah, that's the ONLY thing I REALLY dislike. I really, really dislike that. For some reason, it looks too, well, dorky, if I may use that word.

I feel luck that is the ONLY think I really dislike. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    PymParticles likes this.
  22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Likes: Mandalorian, CW Season 7, Bad Batch, Rogue One (the best thing they've put out so far IMO), Solo, TFA and TROS.

Also Like: Bloodline, Aftermath Trilogy, Thrawn trilogy, Leia: Princess of Alderaan, Tarkin, High Republic: Light of the Jedi.

Dislikes: The Last Jedi, Resistance.

Also Dislike: Rise of the Resistance, A New Dawn

There are elements missing from TFA and TROS that I would've liked to see in there, but that doesn't mean I don't like them still. I also know I'm leaving out a couple things, but I'm going by what I've seen/read.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Got to add in The Mandalorian now, which is superb. One of the best things from the saga. Disney has done a lot of great things with the brand despite the criticisms of the sequel trilogy. Really eager for Kenobi and the other shows.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I dislike the Sequel Trilogy and I dislike how Disney Studios oversaturated the public with Star Wars productions. It's too much. As much as I enjoyed Season 2 of "The Mandalorian", I didn't care how it heavily depended on fan service from previous SW media - especially with characters like Bo-Katan, Cobb Vanth, Ahsoka Tano, Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett, etc. It was a bit too much.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  25. DartJackson

DartJackson Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 26, 2020
    I don't like the crisis of ideas, the desire to create an endless stream of films. Under Lucas, every film was an event. And now there is no such feeling.

I like directing in some new films.

New writers can and can write good dialogue and direct well. But they don't have that creative spirit that Lucas gave.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021