main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn/John Boyega Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sounds like it's going to be quite a bit more:
    https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-08-04/small-axe-release-date-cast-trailer-bbc/

"The five hour-long stories, which centre around London’s West Indian community from the late 1960’s to the mid 1980’s, star Black Panther’s Letitia Wright, Black Mirror’s Malachi Kirby and Line of Duty‘s Rochenda Sandall among others in films inspired by real-life people.

The BBC has recently released a first-look of Boyega as Leroy Logan, a police officer who set out to change racist attitudes from within the Metropolitan Police, in the film Red, White and Blue.
    Spanning three decades, beginning with Enoch Powell’s “Rivers of Blood” speech, the five-part anthology series is set in London’s West Indian community and features The Mangrove, a restaurant in Ladbroke Grove which becomes a community space and years later a meeting-point for protestors.

The series title come from a Jamaican proverb, “if you are the big tree, we are the small axe,” which means that relatively marginal or small voices of dissent can successfully challenge more powerful voices.

While little detail has been provided about the five films which make up the Small Axe anthology, the BBC has revealed that ‘Red, White and Blue’ stars John Boyega as real-life figure Leroy Logan, who after witnessing his father be assaulted by two policemen, became motivated to join the Metropolitan Police and change their racist attitudes from within.

The five films within the Small Axe series – Mangrove, Lovers Rock, Alex Wheatle, Education and Red, White and Blue – will each receive their world premieres on BBC One and BBC iPlayer in the UK later this year.

In a statement, McQueen said: “I felt these stories needed to be shared. I wanted to re-live, re-evaluate and investigate the journeys that my parents and the first generation of West Indians went on to deliver me here today calling myself a Black British person. What’s important about our stories is that they are local but at the same time global. I think audiences will identify with the trials, tribulations and joy of our characters as well as reflecting on the present environment in which we find ourselves.

He continued: “The dynamic nature of the series allows us to confront injustice in the face of adversity hence the proverb Small Axe, ‘if you are the big tree, we are the small axe’ (Bob Marley).”

Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama, said: “It is an honour to have Steve McQueen, along with this stellar cast, tell these important and inspiring stories on BBC One. Small Axe will air on BBC One next year, and this powerful drama is not to be missed.”

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OMG that sounds fantastic.

Hoping it airs on BBC America as well. Or did I see Amazon?

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You did, sounds similar to how they did Good Omens.

4. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  6. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG]

Would've been such an easy call back...but that would've required planning that the Sequel Series didn't want to engage in.

Any ways, in other news: https://deadline.com/2020/08/john-b...ted-podcast-iheartpodcast-network-1203002901/

Apparently John's in a Radio-Drama (Podcaste) that's due out later this year.

Listening to things like 'Critical Role' and the Bigfinish 'Doctor Who' stuff has me hoping this will prove a good side project for John.

Also: https://deadline.com/2020/08/first-look-john-boyega-steve-mcqueen-small-axe-1203002096/

[​IMG]

7. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Dropping this in the Finn thread, in addition to its original thread, because it's relevant to this thread as well, and it contains some cool images and artwork of Finn.

[​IMG]
    This one's my favorite.

I also really like the TV Spot: it's so energetic.

Multiple times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there was this official trailer for the Force Awakens where Finn is showing facing off against Kylo Ren while wielding a lightsaber.

That scene was also included in a promo interview with John Boyega.

He is also shown battling a stormtrooper using a lightsaber in this official TV Spot.

The only other two people presented with lightsabers in the promotional material are both force sensitive. It was a blatant bait-and-switch.

If anyone went into the Force Awakens, thinking that Finn was going to be force-sensitive based on the marketing campaign, that's 100% on the film's marketing because it definitely presented Finn as force-sensitive.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    ami-padme, 2Cleva, Troopa212 and 4 others like this.
  8. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Ahhhh, i still wanna see that story.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    2Cleva, afrojedi, Lulu Mars and 5 others like this.
  10. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Man, if the people who posted all those tweets hated Episode VII for giving Finn a lightsaber, they must have been livid seeing Mace Windu with one a decade before that. Or Quinlan Vos a decade before that...or Jao Assam two years before that....

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  11. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Hate for the sake of hate.

The truth is peopled cheered.

[​IMG]

Social media hate and agenda pushing, bandwagon jumping people. Social media is not reality.

12. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I was thinking about how random that tweet was, and how he likely didn't bring up SW on his own. Fandom Menace usually leaves him alone nowadays, some even support him on occasion.

Then I thought about what's been trending on SW Twitter: #swhateswomen. And I thought about who the main pushers of this narrative were: Reylos. And of course, "misogynist" public enemy number one according to Reylos is?

Yeah, there's no way that's a coincidence, not after all this time, and not after there's been no SW announcements or events involving John.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah...check out the entire thread on Twitter. There is one tweet that supports John and brings up Finn and Poe.

Forty-three years of being a woman Star Wars fan and I can’t say I have ever felt hated by Star Wars, at least not until I was told, within the last few years, that Star Wars needed to change in order to make me a fan.

ami-padme, Bor Mullet, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    same, even though the ST was mostly a let down for the character, I would still be pretty interested in any future stories with Finn as a Jedi

15. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't believe for one moment that finn was originally meant to be a jedi. TFA was all about misleading the audience. it was a film that wanted to surprise people. that's why it was kept quite that Kylo was the son of Han and Leia. that's why Finn had a saber. the idea was to make you think Finn was the jedi of this trilogy but SURPISE! it was Rey!

When it comes to fan bashing. i get the sense all the sequel cast have experienced toxic fans these days.

16. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    That's the problem: people were misled into thinking that Finn was going to be force-sensitive by the marketing for no good reason.

Personally, I think a force-sensitive ex-stormtrooper is one hell of an interesting idea and John Boyega had the talent and likability to pull it off.

Mind you, they didn't end up doing anything interesting with the idea they actually went with for, even though a non-force-sensitive Finn still had an ample amount of potential.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    2Cleva, Troopa212, afrojedi and 5 others like this.
  17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Personally i have never really thought of an ex storm trooper idea being all that special. stormtroopers to me have never came across as evil. so one suddenly leaving seems about as original as "they fly now?". Stormtroopers are just expendable troops being ordered to do a job. its not about whether they believe they are doing the right thing or not.

And surely if you want that story of a guy who joins the bad guys and then leaves. just watch Solo: A Star wars story.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s not about being totally evil. It’s about refusing to do an evil job anymore. So it’s a perfectly fine idea. The exact equivalent of a lowly Nazi soldier deserting. It could’ve been a lot more interestingly executed though.

2Cleva, Troopa212, afrojedi and 5 others like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Finn didn’t join, he was kidnapped as a child.

And if Finn with a lightsaber was marketed to “deliberately mislead the audience,” and people got excited to see Finn with a lightsaber, the reactions along the lines of “LoL why so angry? LFL doesn’t have to give you what you want” are really inappropriate.

ami-padme, 2Cleva, Troopa212 and 9 others like this.
  20. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    Not just that, but someone who was kidnapped as a child and raised to be cannon fodder who's not allowed a name and is instead dehumanizingly labeled with only a number. Someone who, when faced with the evil of their organization, broke programming and went on run, leading to them developing a real sense of identity, forging relationships and having agency for the first time in their whole life.

Finn was an opportunity for a very unique story in the Star Wars films.

2Cleva, Troopa212, afrojedi and 10 others like this.
  21. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    To do that you needed to be able to acknowledge the troopers as victims. and they didn't wanna do that. that's why Finn himself is wiping out troopers WOO!'ing his way through it.

But then they sorta done the victim cards with the clones. perhaps a bit better.

22. FromDromundKaasWithLove

Jan 20, 2020
    It's ironic that the Sequel Trilogy takes the same kind of dehumanizing view of the slave stormtroopers as the First Order.

Bor Mullet, 2Cleva, afrojedi and 7 others like this.
  23. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    And audience loved every second of that surprise. I think that some Finn fans are more miffed that there wasn't a backlash over bait and switch (translation: people really loved that Rey was the Jedi, not Finn) than that there was a bait and switch at all (since that's a pretty standard marketing tool).

But did someone say Quinlan Vos?

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Correction: People loved the fact that Rey was a Jedi character, not necessarily that Finn wasn't one.

...and since Rey was the focal point of the poster, it hardly came as a surprise. I expected her to be the central protagonist and possibly torn between the dark side, represented by the Sith-like Kylo on the left, and the light, represented by the Jedi-like Finn on the right.

ami-padme, 2Cleva, Troopa212 and 6 others like this.
  25. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    That was before they pretended that the toxic fanbase was anyone who didn't like a movie. Also, isn't vos a white guy?