main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Biden Beats Trump" - The 2020 General Election Presidential Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given , Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The conventions are over and the presumptive nominees are now their party's official ones. Therefore we felt a new thread would be fitting

Democratic Presidential nominee: Joe Biden, Vice Presidential nominee: Kamala Harris
    Republican Presidential incumbent: Donald Trump, Vice Presidential incumbent: Mike Pence
    Libertarian Presidential nominee: Jo Jorgensen, Vice Presidential nominee: Spike Cohen
    Green Presidential nominee: Howie Hawkins, Vice Presential nominee: Angela Walker

There will be four debates held. Three for the Democratic and Republican nominees plus any third party who polls at 15%, as well as one for the Vice Presidential nominees for the same rules.The dates of them are:

September 29th, at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
    October 7th at the University of Utah. (VP debate)
    October 15th at Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts in Miami, Florida.
    October 22th at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee.

Now per discussion in Comms and Mod Squad, we are instituting some rules in this thread. If you post a tweet you must post it with either some thoughts of your own about it, and/or why you chose to share it. Essentially, provide some commentary of your own. We cannot interact with the author of the tweet, which stifles discussion; we can only interact with the poster. So give us something to interact with.

Furthermore, no single image or .gif replies. Use your words. You can post them if you provide some commentary. Images and .gifs can be distracting and annoying by themselves.

These rules are subject to change.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I may be missing something, but isn't "three for the D+R nominees, one for VP, one open debate" adding up to 5 debates, not four?

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    So I still think Trump’s going to get a second term. However, it’s not going to go well for him. Democrats take Senate back—that should tell you everything you need to know.

Also:

:’(

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Rew, Point Given and 3sm1r like this.
  4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I copy pasted the opening from the 216 General Election Thread and forgot to take the open debate out when updating it for this one.

5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, I don't know how but I'm still very convinced that Trump will win.
    Actually, I'm so convinced that I should probably bet.

solojones, Vaderize03 and Coruscant like this.
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    When I think of the 2020 elections, I remember that famous line - "There's no winning, there's only degrees of losing"
    Pretty sure that goes for all but the 1%, who'd still continue getting richer at an exponential pace with a 2nd Trump term.
    @3sm1r - if he wins, will you be forced to leave the US? What about with a Biden win?

Emperor Ferus and 3sm1r like this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I will leave regardless at this point, probably around January.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sorry to hear that but at least you'll be safe from the local madness

Iron_lord and 3sm1r like this.
  9. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah over the past couple of weeks I've swung towards thinking Trump has a 55% to 60% chance of winning. COVID, sadly, seems to have been normalized. I think Trump's law and order message will win back enough suburban voters to make the difference, and the USPS chicanery and other anti-voter measures will seal it. I think he loses Pennsylvania and possibly Michigan. But he holds serve elsewhere to win re-election while once again losing the popular vote.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It would certainly be the epitome of failing upward in America if the all-time worst president gets a 2nd term.

11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I want to expand on what I said in my first post itt: a second term is going to be hell for Trump, so much so that it’ll make his first term and “presidential harassment” look like a walk in the park. Disastrous measures in regards to COVID will continue, millions will still be out of work, the protests and the riots won’t go away, and a lot of Trump voters are quickly going to sour on Trump, within months of the inauguration.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Request: please be mindful of interest/relevance and volume/redundancy when posting tweets. Ask yourself: is this news tweet worth posting? Hopefully the requirement for commentary will help: if you can't think of anything to say about it, it might not be worth posting. All I ask is that people actually be mindful and use their best judgment. Please: no news about a dead guy who made ski videos.

Second request: Try to catch up/keep up on the thread before you post news. Has it been posted already? We get a lot of repeat posts. I know sometimes the thread moves very quickly, and there are times coming up when this will happen. If you've fallen behind ten pages, just use your best guess. But if you're only a page or two behind, skim them to see if anyone has already posted what you've come to post.

Thanks. All I ask is for people to be mindful.

13. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    As both conventions have just concluded, here's a bit of a twist: in an election campaign where it's expected the Democrats will try to throw around an "anything but Trump" message, both Biden and Harris actually spent very little time attacking Trump and largely talked beyond him in their acceptance speeches, while it is Trump himself who fired a constant barrage of attacks in an "anything but Biden" message, fully supported in that by most of the RNC's speakers.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That is a good point.

The other realization I had as I thought about November is that this year's holiday season is likely to be the bleakest most Americans have experienced in their life, even if Biden wins... and bleaker yet if Biden loses.
    Millions jobless, people who've lost loved ones, few stores open, etc.

Rew likes this.
  15. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    It'll be like the darkest point in a Frank Capra movie--where Gary Cooper or Jimmy Stewart gaze into the abyss of suicide or mental breakdown--only it'll stay there.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

16. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I have not been posting on here much, and I will not post on this thread again until the results are in, but my prediction is this: the election will be compromised. Trump will be reelected, the Republicans will hold the Senate and the Democrats will barely hold the House.

In term two, things will just get worse and worse but nothing will ever happen to Trump.

In 2024, one of his kids will be elected President.

We will never have another President who is not a Trump.

It's over.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I really missed you :)

Rew, FatBurt, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  18. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Basically, I want to venture an opinion. Rand Paul was praising Trump for ending wars as the latter perpetuates them. I perceive that as Orwellian.

Given PointGiven's new rules, I'm going to be more concise, since I have a tendency to go all over the place when I find a tedious moment during work. At any rate, I just wanna say that all views should be respected here. Harpua was talking about how some of folks have been homeless for a long time, and so that's something to remember. Everyone is going through different things in life. We all have our aspirations. Like, I don't know Harpua in person, but I feel that she deserves a home and happiness. Anyone who doesn't understand her just really needs to take a breather. I didn't understand her years ago, and I don't have to know her. I believe we all deserve equal human rights, and I can learn from her just as others can.

Anyhow, I'm just throwing that out as an example because life is weird. Lots of peculiar things are happening, and the Republicans and some right-leaning Democrats are the origin of the quandary. We need to supply energy to solutions for everyone in this world. And we may get a bit grumpy, but people like Harpua and the others you may not know are part of the solution here. Many of you are, too. So, yeah. That's my little badly written sermon and all. Let's get back to politics. I hope Trump loses somehow, someway.

Runjedirun likes this.
  19. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Glad the conventions are over with. Now to dread the debates. Hopefully they just stick to just three presidential debates, although I think Trump was already demanding more or whining about unfair treatment or something like that (he does that all the time so its hard to keep track of what his self-pity is about at any given moment).

I expect the next few months will be even uglier than this year has already been, especially with Trump escalating not just his attacks on our elections but also his cover up of just how bad the pandemic has been. Normally you'd think a president would work harder to make themselves look good, but Trump's always only pretended to work hard rather than actually just doing the work.

20. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Look on the bright side! The nation will completely collapse not too long after that. Clean slate and all that.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Even if it’s in response to an utter nonsense post? Asking for a friend.

I’m that friend.

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The reason everyone thinks Trump is going to win is not that he deserves to win, it’s that he will cheat and steal to do it. In an honest election, there would be no question that he loses. But he has so compromised the integrity of everything surrounding the election-with the Senate’s blessing- that we can’t trust the results.

Which is why I hope Biden does not concede and waits until all votes are counted and challenges any results that are too close or odd. Hillary should have done that just to reassure everyone. Understand you can still acknowledge that he likely won but not concede until the votes are all counted.

In this case however, I expect:

- Attempts to lose/delay/destroy mail in ballots
    - Armed “poll watchers” outside traditionally black polling places
    -Polling places that run on battery power or run out of ballots like they did in Georgia when Stacey Abrams ran against Kemp.
    -Attempts to sue if Trump does actually lose- ultimately ending up in the Supreme Court
    -Protests and Riots over the results either way.

Frankly, November 3rd will not feel like a win. I expect this agony to draw out into December and even if he loses in the Supreme Court, I don’t see him going quietly.

Rew, Valairy Scot, Juliet316 and 3 others like this.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Honestly, I think the outcome is still pretty up in the air.

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Honest election in a fair system where the majority vote actually matters, rather than the... archaic Electoral College system America is actually stuck with. This will probably be the third time in 20 years that's the popular and electoral vote turns out differently.

Most people are so used to results on election night, but with the pandemic and mail in voting, this will probably take a while (such as with California's midterm results back in 2018). I wouldn't be surprised if Trump orders counting be stopped whenever it looks like he's in the lead.

(Which reminds me, off-topic for here, but last I heard the census was still under attack from Trump but that's fallen into the background with all the other emergencies going on.)

Yodaminch likes this.
  25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Agreed, and to this I’ll add:

1. Trump replaces RBG with a rock-ribbed conservative, they overturn the ACA, and the healthcare system approaches total collapse.
    2. At some point after the 2022 midterms with Democrats in full control of Congress, another SCOTUS justice retires or passes away, and Schumer invokes the ‘McConnell rule’, refusing to even hold a hearing on the nominee. Chaos ensues.

Read some commentary on Politico this morning (not posted as it’s part of a rambling article) that pointed out that since 2016, nonwhite voters in several key swing states have actually trended Republican. This has been drowned out by the move of college-educated whites and suburban women away from the GOP. Supposedly, this trend is continuing in 2020 polling, with the author postulating that cultural views and education level are factoring more into voting patterns than race and ethnicity. If so, that represents a seismic shift.

The question then becomes: how do the trends shake out? Do white suburban women and college-educated whites overall propel the Democrats to victory, or do African-American and Hispanic voters give the GOP a more permanent edge?

Sadly, I believe Trump will win again, and the GOP will hold the Senate until 2022 (when a highly unfavorable map awaits them). The RNC appealed entirely to fear, and in America, nothing works better to please their base.

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.