main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Autumn Bingo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Aug 31, 2020.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Autumn Bingo:

Autumn is almost upon us, and what better way to welcome and celebrate the season than with a round of Autumn Bingo?

How to play Autumn Bingo?
    1. Choose a row, column, or diagonal with five autumn words from the Bingo board.
    2. Write a story of at least 500 words for either the Star Wars or Non-Star Wars fandoms inspired or featuring the words from your chosen row, column, or diagonal.
    3. Post your story in the appropriate Star Wars or Non-Star Wars fanfiction board.
    4. Post a link to your story in this thread so others can read it.
    5. Finish one or more such stories, and you’ll be a Bingo Winner.
    6. Finish five or more such stories, and you’ll be upgraded to an Ultimate Bingo Champion.
    Autumn Bingo Board:

[​IMG]

Nota Bene: Since I only realized after I posted it that I included the word "blustery" twice, competitors will have something of a free choice in being able to replace either "blustery" with "costume" or they may choose to keep both "blustery." Sorry for any confusion resulting from my error with the Bingo board.

Autumn Bingo Rules and Guidelines:
    1. All stories written for the Autumn Bingo event must comply with the overall fanfiction rules and guidelines for this site.
    2. All stories written for the Autumn Bingo event should have at least 500 words.
    3. All stories written for the Autumn Bingo event should be inspired by a row, column, or diagonal from the Autumn Bingo Board.
    Autumn Bingo Dates:

Autumn Bingo Begins: 6 September 2020

Autumn Bingo Ends: 26 September 2020

Nota Bene: I have decided that if anyone wants to post a story inspired by this challenge after the deadline, they can provide a link to it in this thread, and I'll add it to the index as an unofficial entry so people can still continue to write stories inspired by this challenge throughout the fall and can find those stories easily in one index.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Bingo Winners:
    @devilinthedetails : Stitched Together Beneath a Harvest Moon (Harvest Moon + Cider+Quilt+Cobweb+Crisp); Fountain of Memory (Feast+Ghost+Reap+Spice+Apple); Fallen Leaves (Chill in the Air+Scarecrow+Changing Leaves+Pumpkin+Haystack); Autumn Feast (Harvest Moon+Chill in the Air+Feast+Chestnuts+Cornucopia)
    @Seldes_Katne: Battling Winter (Feast+Ghost+Reap+Spice+Apple); For Love of Mother Jungle (Harvest Moon+Chill in the Air+Feast+Chestnuts+Cornucopia)
    @Briannakin: Planes and Change (Quilt+ Changing Leaves+Reap+Sweater+Bounty)
    @JediMaster_Jen: Autumn Starlight (Chill in the Air+Scarecrow+Changing Leaves+ Pumpkin+Haystack)

Ultimate Bingo Champions:

@Kit' : Something wicked (Haystack+Crisp+Apple+Blustery+Festival) ; Sow the Wind (Feast+Ghost+Reap+Spice+Apple); Reap the whirlwind (Cornucopia+Orange+Bounty+Blustery+Festival); If you go down to the woods today
    (Cider+Scarecrow+Ghost+Thankful+ Orange); And I shall wear dawn (Quilt+Changing Leaves+Reap+Sweater+Bounty)

Unofficial Entries:

@AzureAngel2: The Inmost Light
    @brodiew: Ghostly Purpose

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Do we PM our selections or post them in thread?

4. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Good question! You can just post your selections in this thread and in your story when you post the story. More than one author can use the same set of words, so no need to worry about duplicates:)

For example, more than one person could write a story about Harvest Moon+Chill in the Air+Feasts+Chestnuts+Cornucopia.

5. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Oooh I really love this idea and I already can't wait to read the stories it inspires! [face_love] @devilinthedetails, you are so awesome for coming up with all of these fun, creative challenges! :)

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So one question. If you want to do more than one, does it have to be seperate stories for each or would seperate chapters of the same story, each with its own 5 words, work as well?

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    It would seem to me that separate stories would be necessary to Be in line with the bingo aspect. But I'm not the administrator. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @amidalachick and @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much![face_blush] I'm so glad that you love the idea. Autumn is my favorite season, so I couldn't resist celebrating some of my favorite parts of it with this Bingo challenge, and, like you, I'm really excited to see what stories these words can inspire!

@Anedon Excellent question! I would like each story written for the challenge to be separate and independent in the sense that it would make sense if read by itself, but you could write a series or a sequel as long as each story can sort of stand alone so to speak.

10. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Okay, then I sadly won´t be able to participate in this one. Have decided not to start anything new until my Jacen story is finally finished.
    Thanks for answering tough :)

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Anedon I understand. Good luck with your Jacen story:)

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  12. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I absolutely love this idea! Will definitely be participating. :D

13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @JediMaster_Jen So glad that you love the idea and will be participating!:D

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    This is the perfect thing I need to kick-start my muse after a summer of it being on vacation (it's been a butt). I love Autumn and writing autumnal fics!! Now if I can find the time to write, that would be nice!! (can 2020 just stop being a mess, please?).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh NO KIDDING! :rolleyes: Here's to all the good fics I'm gonna have to read LOL

16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I realized I messed up my Bingo board and included "blustery" twice:oops:, so if people prefer they can replace either "blustery" with "costume" or they can keep both "blustery" as "blustery." It'll be a bit of a free choice. Almost like a free space.

@Briannakin Autumn is my favorite season, so I couldn't resist hosting a challenge to celebrate the season especially this year when we could probably all use something to cheer us up in these crazy times. The changing leaves and crisp air of autumn are always really inspiring for me as are all the awesome fall flavors and holidays.

17. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    As someone from the southern hemisphere, can I just say that although I'm keen for this challenge, I've never eaten or even seen chestnuts. I mean we don't really even have an autumn where I am. The leaves don't change or fall and it doesn't get cold (sub-tropics) but I'm still going to give this a go, but people will have to excuse any description that's a bit off.

P.S: We have two seasons where I am. Sprinter and Sprummer. We are two days into Sprummer (Spring) and it's already topping 27C (80F). The only other way we can characterise our seasons is by weather (Wet/hot/storms, cold/dry/wind). Makes me very jealous when I watch American Christmas movies where it always snows at Christmas and everyone wears ridiculous jumpers.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  18. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Excellent. I wondered what I was going to do with "copious" spare time now that the Fanfic Summer Olympics are over... [face_laugh]

Autumn is also my favorite season (an entire corner of my office is devoted to Halloween all year 'round), so even if I don't manage to write something for this, I look forward to all the stories that will be posted for this.

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kit' Definitely give it a go, and if it makes you feel any better, most of the time, it doesn't snow on Christmas where I live. The snow on Christmas seems to be a movie ideal that doesn't happen where I live, ha ha. [face_laugh]

@Seldes_Katne That's so cool you have an entire corner of your office devoted to Halloween, and I hope that this challenge will inspire lots of excellent stories to read this fall:)

20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    It's the 6th of September, and the challenge is officially open.

Feel free to post links to your stories in this thread and to show which prompts you used to make Bingo.

The challenge will be open for responses until the 26th of September. Good luck, everyone! :)

21. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Challenge réponse is up -

Something wicked - starring Zallie from the various Family of Scoundrels OC fics and borrowing heavily from the witches and halloween tropes around the place.

Started with An Apple a day keeps the witches away using the words - Haystack, Crisp, Apple, Blustery, Festival.

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    amidalachick, Kahara, Kit' and 3 others like this.
  23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Because my muse likes new ideas and is trying desperately to avoid working on anything that requires effort I managed to get out chapter 2 of the story.

Sow the wind

Words - Feast, Ghost, Reap, Spice, Apple

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kit' I'm so impressed with how quickly you got two stories finished=D= The index is updated to reflect your latest achievement.

Inspired by @Kit' I have completed my own second Autumn Bingo entry using the same words: Feast+Ghost+Reap+Spice+Apple.

The story is a Zuko/Mai one set in the Avatar: The Last Airbender universe entitled Fountain of Memory.

Kahara, amidalachick, Kit' and 2 others like this.
  25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Thanks @devilinthedetails. For someone who hasn't ever really experienced a real Autumn (because Autumn where I live is a one day event where it goes from hot to slightly less hot) I've just taken it as an opportunity to stick in as many things as I can from growing up on a diet of American halloween movies and books set in Europe. :D@};-