main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm not sure if Tython Awakening really posted the posts above. After all, there is no video of him writing those posts. I demand to see a video of him doing that, and he must speak all the lines he writes to prove that the text lines up with what he is saying. Though come to think of it, I'm not sure if that's enough. A person could always pretend to be him, or worse, someone could actually hack his account to write something with it. Better add some witnesses who can vouch for the posts.

[face_clown]

A direct quote is a direct quote. Unless a person says that the quote in question didn't happen, you can't just assume that it didn't happen. Nor can you redefine what the word hearsay means. Only an infinitisimal amount of human history has been recorded on video, that doesn't somehow mean that everything that hasn't been captured on video is only hearsay. Otherwise you might as well disregard everything you haven't personally witnessed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I wrote those posts. I wrote them today, 9/4/2020. I'm bleeding green blood so I need to leave the conversation.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    This would’ve been a somewhat amusing conversation had it not been for the systematic assault on objective truth and credible media that’s occurring in the world today, and the authoritarianism that assault reinforces.

Darth PJ, EHT and PymParticles like this.
  4. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Oh, please continue. I won't add anything else. You mentioned "authoritarianism and the assault that reinforced" but I do not understand what you mean by that. Please do clarify if you get a chance. I clarified my reasoning. Are you suggesting that by questioning the objectiveness of internet news articles, a person is promoting authoritarianism in some way?

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    You didn't question the objectiveness of internet news articles, you questioned truth itself. You didn't criticise rumours or hearsay, you directly stated that an actual interview, quote by quote from both interviewer and interviewee, somehow wasn't proof for that this was actually being stated.

The Wrap isn't some gossip youtube channel that makes up stuff to garner attention, it is a legitimate journalistic source that has won journalistic prices. It would have taken about five seconds to find that out.

Your concept of "proof" is just absurd. There is no way to meet that critieria. Especially since her statement did not say that they would actually cover 25,000 years, but that the existing material from the old EU covers 25,000 years. For her following statements to be true, it is enough that they considered creating something in the past, they wouldn't even need to actually develop something. Though if they would, it would obviously still match them having looked at the material and picked up some of it.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    So how about that orgin jedi story Kathlenn wants made into film.;)

7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm more open to the idea than I used to be. I don't know, I think if that's the movie that Waititi is making, it'll be appropriately weird and spiritual enough. I want it to look and feel more like fantasy with sci-fi tech, like lightsabers, than sci-fi with fantasy trappings.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    But Be aware with futher back in timmeline you are going and jedi orgin the more weird and more fantasy it will get, like Mortis and WBW weird.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not necessarily. That would only be one possible way to go. People are creative enough to come up with tons of different approaches.

Sarge and Darth PJ like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No. Things can only either get too weird, or too safe. There is no middle ground.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Retro designing the technology of AGFFA is one of the simpler things they can do to give new films an entirely new aesthetic... and is something I'd personally really like to see. The key (IMHO) is in the consistency of it, if they do 'High Republic', KOTOR, or even earlier... but having lightsbares that resemble a broadsword i.e. much bigger and heavier to wield, is a rather simple, but effective way of changing the aesthetic. The formal hilt, that the High Republic imagery seems to suggest, is another simple way to make the technological regression stand put.

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I still think the era with the most cinematic potential is the war between the Jedi and the Mandalorians. There's a conflict that would be populated with new characters, but grounded in some familiar iconography. And most crucially, it's a narrative that could easily garner audience sympathies on both sides.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Heavier lightsabers, the kind that have to be held with both hands, would also go back to Lucas' original conception of lightsabers as having some real weight to them. I'd definitely be down for something along those lines.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Early lightsabers.
    [​IMG]

Early Jedi.
    [​IMG]

15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Listen, if we get the early Jedi as swole as humanly possible, then maybe Zack Snyder can be enticed to direct. Their founder can be named J'ee Z'sus, and also be very ripped.

Bor Mullet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Gives the words "Snyder Cut" a whole new meaning, doesn't it.

Sarge, Bor Mullet and PymParticles like this.
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
  18. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    This is my thinking. TPM mentions the Sith have been extinct for a millennium, so implying that 1000 years earlier some event ended the Sith and began 1000 years of peace. Though I still suspect that there were plenty of wars in the Star Wars world inside those 1000 years, just not jedi and sith related and all far smaller affairs, planetary wars.

Sarge likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Lots of taxation problems.

20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I like the idea of two handed bulky lightsabers.

See Jedi with large holsters on their back to carry the blade or on their side.

Speaking of holsters, some of the Jedi of the high republic era have holsters for their lightsabers (including for regular hilts).

Doesn’t have to be High Republic era, but I hope to have a film where saber holsters are still in fashion. A cross guard saber in a holster would be quite medieval.

I’m also ok with a film about the very early Jedi being set pre-lightsaber, instead actual swords are used. Though in Legends ancient Jedi had a way to enhance swords with the force.

But Disney might not be willing to set films that far back in the past since it would take away one of the most signature icons of a Star Wars film.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    "An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

This implies, to me, that the lightsabers of the OT and PT are like late-Renaissance rapiers. Elegant weapons for elegant fighting. Therefore, I find it plausible and realistic to think that earlier iterations might be more similar to medieval swords, or those of antiquity. Rougher. Broader. Etc.

Sarge, Darth PJ and PymParticles like this.
  22. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Whatever period it is, I just hope the ships aren't rehashed star destroyers, x-wings, and TIE fighters with a new coat of pain and nothing else

If it's post-IX, I'd love to see more kitbash designs ala the Aces from Resistance

If it's pre-TPM, I'd like to see extremely proto-Prequel era designs, sorta like how the Jedi starfighters eventually ended up turning into TIE fighters as they slowly lost the forward protrusions - compare Obi-Wan's ship in AotC, to what he had in RotS, and then the average twin-ion engine ship

And if that doesn't convince you, go take a gander at Yoda's starfighter ;P

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Yep, 10,000 years of hyperspace travel and it took them that long to make a lightsabre small enough to be used one-handed?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think one handed light saber is as old as hyperspace travel. before that i think they didn't use mutch of lightsabers.

25. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I'm now picturing two giant lightsabers that are basically the Death Star superlaser (oh hi Darksaber by KJA) chopping planets in half, crewed by legions of Jedi and Sith

Eventually they decide that it's stupid and work on making it smaller