main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What Mando demonstrated is that there is truly an incredibly talented and diverse group of directors that can shape the future of Star Wars, and that there’s no need to rely on old white hands in the business. Personally, I think the top two (perhaps the best directors of Disney-era Star Wars) are Rick Famuyiwa and Deborah Chow. Followed by Waititi.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think actually what Mando demonstrated was that that particular group of directors can do a great job with SW; I'm not willing to generalize it beyond that. The sample size of those who have been given a SW project is exceedingly small. I agree that others that aren't "old white hands" should be given opportunities.

Gosh, since I turned 50 recently, that means I am typing this post with "old white hands." :(

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've said this before, but as nice as it is to get featurettes where the director talks about how much they loved the original films, how much Star Wars means to them, how it made them want to make movies, blah blah blah, being a massive fan of Star Wars shouldn't be a pre-requisite to direct these films. Obviously Star Wars is one of the most enduringly popular things on the planet, and it'd be difficult to find a director who didn't like the movies, let alone one who hadn't seen them, but I think it might be nice to see what kind of flavours get injected into this series when the person at the helm didn't grow up wearing Darth Vader footsie pajamas.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It should be a given that working on a Star Wars project is personal for any creative involved. I don't need to know how much it means to you. What makes your approach unique?

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    For example Tony Gilroy doesn’t seem to think too highly of it honestly and yet he helped give us one of the best movies in the franchise and is showrunner of the spin-off series.

6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, exactly. He didn't approach from a place of, "I need to honor the sacred cow to which I dedicated my childhood," it was more, "What will make this story work?"

7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Sometimes a good filmmaker is just a good filmmaker, regardless of what genre they're touching. Personally, I do prefer genre films and directors who generally stay in a couple of genres, as I feel they consistently make the most memorable films. However, I am not adverse to a director who just approaches SW like they do everything else, like Tony Gilroy did with RO.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I didn’t get the sense that Chow, Famuyiwa and Waititi’s young lives were dominated by Star Wars. They seem to be casual appreciators of the series who respect it a lot, but have a much broader cinematic outlook. And I think that’s in part why their Star Wars contributions were so fresh. Looking forward to a lot more from this crew.

ETA: And Gilroy positively didn’t care for the series at all. Though in that case, I’d argue that the magic formula was the combination of Edwards’ geekiness and Gilroy’s I don’t give a ****-ness. A similar magic combination is Favreau and Filoni, IMO. A casual fan whose horizons are much broader, and a really creative hardcore fan, is a match made in heaven. That way you have someone who understands the unique weirdness of Star Wars, leavened by someone who just wants to make the story work.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I always think their is a benefit of having someone not always take the lore of Star Wars not as gossiple and willing to bend it as far as it can be bended....even if it breaks because I think the risk is probably worth it.

Fans never know what they want until they say it anyway.

Darth Dookacas likes this.
  10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Tim Burton would be an interesting choice.

Or Hayao Miyazaki.

11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    No to the former, Burton hasn't been on his A-game for a while. Miyazaki would be genuinely interesting, but the film would likely take 5-7 years to animate.

Nehru_Amidala and Bor Mullet like this.
  12. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I love that.

We need more like that. Star Wars deserves talent that organically continues Lucas' vision but also thinks to themselves: "What makes this all tick in the end?" I personally think that will need more people like Tony Gilroy in franchises like Star Wars. I fear that the problem with J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson is that both were at polar opposites of the spectrum. One wanted to make the same film, the other wanted to simply wipe away the old, neither of them thinking: "What can make this all work?"

13. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think JJ did a great job! but i think you should love Star Wars to some degree or at least understand the tone of how it should feel but I think Misha Green from lovecraft country would be amazing to direct these movies some many times during lovecraft did I feel like it was drawing on themes from Star Wars.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I could live with that. After all, how many of us checked Nausicaa.net daily until the QuickTime trailer for Spirited Away dropped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Darth Polo

Darth Polo Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2020
    Over the last few years, the main movie that comes to mind that I loved and enjoyed dreaming about was 'Avengers: Infinity War' and so seeing how the Russo Brothers directed that film, I am left wanting Anthony Russo and Joseph Russo to direct the next/future Star Wars film.

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Infinity War succeeds despite the aggressively mediocre directing talents of the Russo brothers. The Avengers assemble scene, for example, was really cool to fans because of the years of buildup, but the whole sequence may as well have been directed by a 10-year old.

17. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    It's probably already been suggested, but I'd be curious to see what Mike Flanagan could do with SW (writing and directing.) He's great at giving us characters with depth, and he has an artistic directing style that could bring something new to SW. On the other hand, I really want him to start working on the next season of "Haunting", so maybe it's better if he doesn't get sidetracked with SW.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

Btw, the Avengers Assemble scene is in Endgame not Infinity War. Duh.

Pro Scoundrel and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Touche!

And you’re lucky. I was actually kinda positive there about the MCU. Just critiquing the Russo Bros, which is pretty normal, as they’re not generally considered to be great directors... ;)

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t know what world you’re living in. Their films are among the most critically acclaimed of the MCU. If they expressed interest in making a Star Wars film I don’t think there’s any question Kennedy would hire them immediately.

Pro Scoundrel and Krueger like this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Apparently they have the rights to Battle of the Planets. Would love to see them tackling that. Although I preferred it when it was called Gatchaman.

Seriously, though, I don't think it’s a coincidence that The Winter Soldier, Civil War and Infinity War are the best films of the MCU. You know, just saying. For me, the sheer cheese (you can almost smell it) of the final battle let's Endgame down.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Sarge, Bor Mullet and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Wonder Woman was better than the Avengers, so maybe Patty Jenkins should direct SW after she is done with Cleopatra.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm living in two worlds dividin' my time.
    Unhappy In your world and lonesome in mine.

24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    M. Night Shyamalan

Then he can add one of his signature twist endings that makes you say "whoa I never saw that coming!" :eek:

Like maybe Palpatine could still be alive, and everything that happened was his master plan all along. Oh, and the protagonist of this new installment is...get this...his granddaughter! Can't get more Shyamalan than that. That would truly be something, wouldn't it?

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I still say Miyazaki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bor Mullet likes this.