main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    *appears*

THE SPICE MUST FLOW

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’ve been politely quietly sitting in the corner waiting for someone to bring up Dune.

*takes a dainty sip from his mug and then smashes it on the table, shattering it*

I’m ready.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I tried one a while back and there just wasn't a big enough critical mass of Dune fans on the board to sustain it, not to mention everyone's posts wound up being these (really great, wonderful) long complex political machinations. It was fun!

EDIT: Found it! You can see from the dates on the posts this wasn't exactly fast-moving.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I have heard of Dune, but have not read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    Oh I'm sure. I'm still working out logistics and hammering out ideas. Been chatting with one other, recently about it but still it's a work in progress.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well let me know if you want to knock ideas around. And check out the link to my old attempt.

Sinrebirth and darthbernael like this.
  7. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    Of course. I'm trying to relax tonight but in the morning, my time, I'll drop you a line and we can toss ideas around.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I really need to get around to reading the book.

9. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    Oh yes, I completely agree.

10. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Is it worth reading?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    Ummmm, yes! Most definitely.

You'll see some parallels to SW in it.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Super duper worth reading, and no time like just before the film is released!

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Hmm...I could probably download it easily on my Kindle tonight, or is it one of those books that I will need to keep referring back to the appendices? In which case, I'll order the paperback.

14. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016

darthbernael likes this.
  15. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I just finished it in June. Second time I've read it. And I've only read two books twice: Dune and The Tao of Pooh. Dune is an incredible book!

It has several appendixes. They're not that essential. The book stands on its own, IMO.

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    That's helpful, yeah, but there's lots of versions of the appendices online, too.

17. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I’m guessing this isn’t the best time to be discussing D&D...

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *before Timothee makes 2020 all better.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    We'll see how this election goes.

20. darthbernael

Apr 15, 2019
    Been quite a while since I played so my memory is rusty on D&D or I'd discuss it. Sorry.

21. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I play d&d but my brain is so frazzled from work today I barely know which way is up.

Edit: misspelling know as no, thus unintentionally provjng my own point

22. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    @Nehru_Amidala

Not sure if I’m the best to answer this question, but in my experience, using the same preset for every character is fine. Personal choice and all that.

Generally it is a good idea to at least keep the race in mind because gnomes with high strength or a kobold with high intelligence are quite rare. So if you want to truly feel like you’re playing one, an orc, elf, and gnome should all be different.

Also, different characters with different stats forces you to play differently with each so its a unique experience with each one.

23. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I do- different races have different bases.

darthbernael likes this.
  24. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I think I misunderstood. Do you mean is it ok to have completely changed how you interpret their bases to fit your viewing of them in general?

The answer to that is Yes, if so. :)

D&D as a whole is like one giant guideline and a partial sandbox if you wish it. You can deviate from it where and how you wish, within reason. The DM book says as much, so I can answer that fairly confidently. ;)

25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Just popping in to say the queen of underrated actresses, Tatiana Maslany, has been cast as She-Hulk in the Disney+ series, and I am here for it.