main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is there any difference between ST and PT hate?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthfettus2015, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Nitpicking can be a pain in the ass, but does not equate hatred. And none of the examples you listed would constitute a level of hatred. Not liking a character, or a situation, scene, etc., is not hatred. It's ok to be critical of things, even things you like and enjoy. This is one of the things I mentioned in my prior post, and is prevalent on the pt boards. If the comment is not all sunshine and roses, or is not prefaced with I'm not hating on the prequels, too often it's assumed to be nothing but blind hatred of the prequels. I'm not saying you're guilty of this, nor am I saying it's everyone of the prequel fans, but it is a prominent sentiment of the prequel fans.

Samuel Vimes and christophero30 like this.
  2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I used the word hatred in the title as that's how it came /comes across back in the PT days and now with the ST. Only now there is countless vitriolic YouTube channels

3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    It’s similar but different.

PT hate mostly came from boomers who didn’t get the Star Wars they grew up with or wanted. They also though it was too kid friendly and the acting sucked. Nobody really complained about the storyline though.

ST hate comes from PT kids who think the PT got ignored, or from OT boomers who thought the OT3 legacy characters got screwed. Many also dislike the lack of a plan. Most agree the acting is great though.

Both hurt significantly from the internet and social media being present. It’s popular to hate stuff now.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I really think the hate comes from the same place

People are allowed to not like a movie but the "hate" from both ends came from a sense of entitlement that they didn't get the exact movie they wanted. It's amplified because the OT was such a unifying force because everyone loved it. With the camps on the PT/ST films people want to be "right"

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Maybe disappointment is a better word than hate.

6. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    That's another part of this. Some people think if someone is disappointed in something, that person automatically hates the movie. Disappointment does not equate hatred. Prime example, I'm very disappointed with the direction that Filoni has taken Ahsoka, but I don't hate Ahsoka. Yet the moment I express my disappointment, Ahsoka fans flip out and claim I hate her. I like her character, but I'm not going to give things a pass simply because I like her.

7. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    I think its less the dislike of characters or story lines.. But the human beings involved.. Jake Lloyd.. Hayden anyone remotely connected with jar jar. George even in the PT.. Mirror (it rhymes) with the likes of Daisy, Kathleen Kennedy, Rian and even Adam Driver

8. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    That's sadly the truth, plain and simple.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Agreed, there's definitely a large difference between hate and simple disappointment. I myself didn't care for how the ST ultimately treated the character of Finn in the end, but I don't hate the character or the ST for that or anything. It's funny you mentioned the PT boards BTW, as those boards used to be considered the bastion of all hate for the prequels. Now some view that's what the ST boards are now for the sequels. Strange how things change but stay the same.

10. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    This was basically my thoughts.. The negativity of the ST ultimately reflects that of the PT.. Even tho it stressed its reliance on physical sets

KyleKartan and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I agree. It's been said that the rise of the whole "Prequel Memes" thing is reflective of how much genuine affection for those films there actually is, in spite of what pop culture stereotypes used to say. I think that's true.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    OT fans who have big issues with the ST and who endlessly criticised Lucas for the PT should know that the vitriol they gave George for ('r.. T.. Childhoods) AND daring to be different again should know that had they embraced his vision more they may have got an ST they loved

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    It's the same, it ruined and raped my childhood. Grow up you big baby. If anyone can look at me with a straight face and claim movies like TPM,ROST, TLJ and TROS runied STar Wars for you. Were you really a fan to begin with.

14. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    For me, the big difference seems to be that mainstream "nerd media" isn't onboard with the ST hate the same way they were for the PT hate. Hence why the biggest ST haters are angry indie youtubers. Frankly, I think "nerd media" has never come to terms with the fact they encouraged such a nasty culture of criticism that's lead to all this.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  15. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    Which is why their hypocrisy astounds me. These online journals and clickbait rags will scold the fandom for being too negative and nitpicky, but will then turn around and write hit pieces about "Why The Prequels Sucked" or "Top 10 Worst Special Edition Changes" or "Think The Last Jedi Is Bad? The Expanded Universe Was Worse." They'll gleefully attack all those other parts of Star Wars, but when it comes to the Sequels or anything else made by Disney, they'll leap to their defense and claim that fans are being too negative. So which is it? Are fans allowed to be negative, or just not towards the things that the Mouse has released under their banner?

You can't allow yourself the discretion to bash whatever pre-Disney part of Star Wars you want, and then throw up the "Why U So Negative" shield when ire is suddenly directed at something you like. It's an appalling double standard, one that only the unqualified cronies running these sites are capable of.

16. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    I wasn't around to experience the Prequel Trilogy hate, and all my experiences with that time period were supported by the Clone Wars series, so nothing but good memories.

For the Sequel Trilogy:
    1. There's a misconception that only "boomers" dislike these films, it's wrong. Pre-pubescent kids and up do as well.
    2. I don't think most people actively hate the ST, they are just immensely disappointed by the lack of care given to the franchise by Disney. At least the hardcore fans. Most people who were casual fans of Star Wars mentally checked out after The Last Jedi in my experience.
    3. There's a vocal minority dedicated to combating all criticism of the ST films, particularly The Last Jedi.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    I think if it wasn't the mouse the ST wouldn't be so harshly criticised. Maybe its a too cool for school thing? TFA was generally loved when it came out.. Cos it looked more real than the cgi prequels. Disney also made the amazing rogue one... Im lucky to love the ST, OT, PT. R0, and tje mandalorian more or less equally

18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    We filmed in a desert...A REAL DESERT!

Looking real don't mean much to me. Even TFA looks more "real" than some of the sets and bluescreen/matte paintings of ROTJ. But visually, ill take the distinct color pallete and visual iconography of something like Coruscant, Utapau, Mustafar, and Naboo anyday over generic Tatooine #3 and Yavin #84.

19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I say take the best of both worlds making it look real and look distinct. I mean Corucant looks real bad in ATOC.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked the TPM and AOTC when they came out. As far as the “raped my childhood” garbage—I don’t care how disappointed (general) you were, if you are comparing disappointment in a film franchise with violent sexual assault, you are as big a drama king as Anakin Skywalker in his worst and most annoying scenes and you need to dial it back.

ROTS has grown on me but since it’s not a fun movie and I get frustrated with Anakin acting stupid, I very rarely rewatch it.

I liked TFA but the “real desert” business was ridiculous. Part of the PT was filmed in Tunisia.

21. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    As a person who enjoyed both the OT and the PT, my dislike of the ST came from its inconsistent writing and the failure of my expectations. I could say that I simply don't enjoy the Disney SW movies. But that's not true, considering I'm a fan of both "Rogue One" and "Solo".

Considering that the other characters (either Jedi or the Senate) made stupid decisions, I would have been surprised if Anakin never made any.

22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    That person that said that set the fandom back to the stone age. It's always a few that ruin it for everyone.

23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Lmao. We need a "Don't be a drama Skywalker" as a term. :p ANH Luke, AOTC Anakin, and Kylo Ren the holy trinity :p

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

My thing is that in 10-15 years all these opinions will no longer matter as a new batch of fans come in and change the discourse.

To what who knows, all I know is that the sooner the older fans step aside for the younger ones the better.

Drac39 and darthfettus2015 like this.
  25. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    all about the Grandchildren....