main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Underused Sequel Characters - Which one had the biggest potental?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Solister, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Babu Frik.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  2. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    I agree with you. And not kidding.
    Make ST about Kylo the last Skywalker and make Rey be a bad guy...we never had a proper female Sith villain in SW saga....

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    People have already mentioned Finn and Rey and I completely agree, however my vote goes to Captain Phasma.

So much potential with a great actress and a compelling overall look to boot. Her backstory of her coming from a post-apocalyptic world and being a coward who is more concerned about her own reputation is also compelling stuff. But they never used any of that from the expanded material and thus she became a forgettable side character. IMO Star Wars really needs more badass villainous like Asajj Ventress and Phasma could have been that.

4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Agree Phasma was awesome. She should have had some interaction with Kylo Ren and been more developed.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Whoever Matt Smith was going to play.

SlashMan and Glitterstimm like this.
  6. chained_vulptex

chained_vulptex Jedi Padawan star 1

May 12, 2020
    Phasma, Zorii, Finn are my top choices.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The whole KOR! What a waste...

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Agreed. They had a lot of potential but pretty much ended up being some goons in the background.

9. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    Finn by a long margin. I always thought he was going to be a force-sensitive character, making the ST the drama between three new force-sensitive characters: Kylo vs Rey + Finn, and the dynamics between them.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was hoping Rey, Finn, and Poe would all be Force sensitive, training and adventuring together, and building a 3 Musketeers kind of friendship.

11. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I get it... realistically, only so much screen time to go around.

I'd say, as many others have, Finn, for sure. Even without Force sensitivity- a battle hardened trooper who shakes off (presumed) brutal training and conditioning and coercion to truly, actively rebel? I mean...come on... the possibilities.

And Phasma? Sheesh- a criminal waste of villain potential AND a natural foil for Finn, with them each adding depth to the other's story.

And Poe. I love the Jedi, but something the original trilogy AND the Mandalorian had was the sense that beings who weren't Force-sensitive mattered. Han is an obvious example, but there are plenty of others. The character/actor's natural charisma managed to overcome a surprising amount of under-development (and, not to troll or provoke, appalling misuse in TLJ).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  12. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    Everyone. Finn retaining his Stormtrooper personality, Poe being a respected flying ace who goes on missions with Rogue Squadron, Rey should have gone on a hero's journey meeting obstacles and growing as a character, Kylo Ren a real villain who is not a Vader cosplayer, Phasma not useless toy marketing. Etc. Etc. Etc.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  13. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

The Dyad. This was their new concept, an evolution from Jedi and Sith duality, and they passed on it. Jedi and Sith could have been explored in older timelines with the dyad explored in future timelines. Oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben Solo, nuff said.

whostheBossk, SlashMan and Sarge like this.
  14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Knights of Ren. I can get behind the nonexistent appearance in TFA because it was clearly setting something up, but the forthcoming backstory was reduced to a sentence in TLJ, and their actual purpose was underwhelming in TROS.

FN-2199. I don't know how much of the books' story was considered during the making of TFA, but this was one character who had a personal connection to Finn that added more stakes to their confrontation in TFA and helped tackle some of the morally ambiguous nature of Finn gunning down his former brothers. Of course if adding in more backstory was an issue, fans have suggested switching him out with Phasma for that fight.

Luke, Lando, Leia, Wedge. It seems like pure hubris that Disney thought that fans would abandon the aged original heroes without a proper sendoff. Now while I disagree with Han's character development, I feel like his character was given the proper weight and respect needed in TFA. And killing the character may not have entirely been in Disney's hands, so I won't hold that one against them.

We can go on forever about "what ifs", but even with the story we're given, the stories suggested for Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando are more interesting than the content we got. Luke and Lando tracking the Sith assassin, Luke's new Jedi school and Snoke's seduction of Kylo, even Leia starting her Jedi journey - all topics OT fans would have dreamed of, but were reduced to passing dialogue and brief flashbacks.

Meanwhile the absence of Wedge ties into the general lack of backdrop for the story. Here's a veteran of the three OT films, probably the most important of the secondary characters. Where would the Rebellion's best pilot be when the Rebellion is essentially still fighting in full force? Despite a nice cameo, that does not get explained.

Watch him be hidden in the movie somewhere for fans to find years later. Like NSYNC in Attack of the Clones.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Finn imo.

Finn's storyline was inspired from Kyle Katarn storyline.(A soldier of the empire that sees how evil they are , defects to the good side and after a while realizes that he is force sensitive.)

At least Kyle Katarn became a Jedi Knight. Finn did not.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Knights of Ren. JJ botched his own creation. These guys were a really cool concept. Smokes guards ended up being cooler smh.

Merric and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm kind of surprised the KoR were even given any screentime in TROS.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  18. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Im not kidding either when I say that all of the characters sans Ben Solo had major issues for me. Poe and Finn either got shoved to the back never to recover or kept getting reset between the three films. Rey was boring as hell to me. Rey ending up bad, especially after they made her a Palpatine makes a ton of sense. Would have been damned cool. Instead, she just throws the Skywalker name out there as if it’s legit. It certainly isn’t. Kind of lame.

Darkstrider likes this.
  19. Supreme Leader Kylo Ren

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2019
    Finn and the Knights of Ren.

Say what you will about the rest of The Last Jedi, but it had a real chance to truly realize Finn into a compelling character. I much would've preferred he trained under Leia or something rather than be forced onto Canto Bight.

It also could have made the Knights of Ren into at least an interesting religion, something which could be explored in the EU. But their lack of screentime in the second film resulted in a waste of potential in the third one.

20. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Captain Phasma — as mentioned already

21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh yeah - the Knights of Ren should have been used. They got mentioned breifly and thats it. Ugh. And yes, Finn became th sacrifical lamb for the horrific Canto Bight/Rose scenes which really shouldnt even have been in the movie. TLJ becomes a great movie instead of just an OK one if that crap is cut out.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    whostheBossk likes this.
  22. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Man, I remember how cool Snoke was. He was so mysterious and creepy looking in TFA... The theories about him being plagueis or Anakin or being from the unknown regions. Then the merch and leaks came out showing him wearing a gold bathrobe in TLJ like he was some sort of pimp. Then the movie came out and he just died and became Palpatine. :(

whostheBossk and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  23. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Finn - The first time I saw Finn, he was on the TFA poster holding a blue lightsaber. The former stormtrooper who picked up a lightsaber and took on Kylo Ren ends up as a supporting character in the next two movies.

Captain Phasma - A popular actress and cool costume design were thrown down the garbage chute.

Snoke - A powerful and mysterious villain got chopped in half without much trouble and was revealed to be Palpatine’s hand puppet.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    whostheBossk, Vinylshadow and Sarge like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    IMO Phasma is the main "missed opportunity" character that could've been so much more. I also think Zorri (maybe supported by Babu Frik as a "sidekick") would've had some great potential too. She was one side character I would've loved to learn/see more of.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  25. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    Finn had potential and his was the journey I was most interested in. Great setup with no payoff.
    Phasma was definitely underused and easily gotten rid of. I expected her to somehow survive TLJ and come back in TROS, but..no.
    I would have liked to see more from Maz and hear how exactly she received Anakin/Luke's lightsaber. Again, good setup, no payoff.
    There's just so many..Hux, Poe, Zorri. The list goes on and on.

Vinylshadow likes this.