main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Can a civil war happen soon in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SW Saga Fan, Sep 20, 2020.

?

Can a civil war happen soon in the U.S.?

1. Yes, it's almost inevitable. The country is too divided.

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. No, we might be divided on politics and ideas, but we can still go along with each other.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. It depends on the result of the presidential elections. It might be scary to know what will happen.

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Not eve sure how a Civil War would work in 2020. Civil War requires two militaries fighting a war against one another.

Right now we are seeing protests in the United States. There is a very small amount of destructive protest as part of this.

We are nowhere close to armed mobs battling each other just to fight, let along fighting with an objective to control cities. If mobs did start to attack each other, the local, state, and federal government would quickly and decisively put an end to that.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    You've just contradicted yourself: You say that point #3- "Wanting to take the whole country" is not true, but then on point #5, you condone violence and want to tear up the U.S. constitution. So for what purpose it is then, if it's not to take control of the country and impose your ideology?

This condonation and comforting of violence is like a form of radicalism disguised as a process of legitimizing the use of "morally acceptable" violence. As if violence could be virtuous depending on which ideological side you are on, whether on the right or left. Then after violence, what comes after? The murder of people who don't agree with you and reject the violence and your ideas? How far are you ready to go? Because you may think that in your opinion, but this isn't some kind of game. And historically, it has been demonstrated that causes and reforms can be advanced, especially in countries where freedom of speech is protected by the laws and constitutions, that you want to tear up, without resorting to violence and destroying ordinary people's belongings, which only discredits the process of a movement in the public opinion.

Because, it is demonstrated that, the further you go to one extreme, the further the other part goes to the other extreme to protect itself.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Nah, there's no contradiction. Just your typical simplistic concern trolling about extremism.

I have no interest in ownership over the country. Red states can generally do as they please, with a few exceptions. It's true, there are a few things where I'm not interested in compromise, but that doesn't mean I'm "extreme" or that I want to take over the country. I'm not interested in tolerating police brutality, for example. If this is an imposition, so be it. If you think that makes me "extreme", then that's an idiotic characterization. I certainly have no interest in "eliminating" political enemies. I'm not particularly interested in Republicans. I'm not the one who obsesses over them every day.

Tearing up the Constitution doesn't require taking over the country. It can be seen as reform, though so much is in need of change it's probably better to start from scratch. The violence is for self defense and incentive for the state to stop brutalizing it's people. Self defense is morally acceptable violence.

Your comment is banal concern trolling, using a slippery slope fallacy. Your fear of the oppressed defending themselves, defining it as radicalism and extreme, is typically bourgeois of you.

4. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Trying to discredit others by calling them "bourgeois" or "trolling" doesn't validate your opinion or ideas. And you're just validating my previous points in the first post, especially when it comes to social media. You may feel secure and safe behind your computer screen or smartphone, but you don't know anything about me or my thinking behind my comments. So it's you who are making simplistic assumptions like these. What if I'm for dialogue rather than violence? What if I'm for reforms rather than destroying everything? And what if I'm willing to discuss with you, even if I don't agree with everything you say? What if I'm for more common sense and thinking, than irrational actions?

It's easy for you to just qualify my comments as "banal concern trolling" because you don't talk to me face to face right now, or maybe you're just lazy when commenting because you don't want to bother or you're so convinced about yourself and don't feel secure when I come here with contradictory comments to yours. But if I were face to face to you, would you still use the same tone as you did?

5. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    there is already a civil war in america. a war of ideas. the battlefield of thought. fighting in the trenches of twitter.com and r/nevertrump. Joe Rogan is our general.

6. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    War of ideas is good. But on Twitter, where you have only a limit of 280 characters which doesn't allow you to fully express yourself and ideas, it's a waste of time in my opinion, and pushes more reactionary comments. Before, on the internet we could post blogs with well expressed and developped ideas which allows people to take more of their time and think and better understanding. I never was interested in twitter and it's a good thing that I don't own an account.

7. a star war

May 4, 2016
    I disagree. If you cannot distill your entire ideology into 280 characters then your ideology is not worth giving any weight.

8. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Express an entire ideology into only 280 characters? Okay, then I'll put a challenge: try to summarize a complex philosophical or poltical question into 280 characters with all its nuances. Let's see how easy it's going to be.

9. a star war

May 4, 2016
    eat the rich.

did it in 13 characters.

10. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    That's very deep indeed...

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    As I keep pointing out @Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid people, the Portland protesters are essentially the same 700 people every night. Ditto the "MAGA armed militias" that keep making threats. They are a very very very very very very very tiny portion of Americans. The vast majority of Americans not only want peace no matter how the election ends also want both sides to stop the BS and start working together.

12. a star war

May 4, 2016
    it is a powerful idea. that's what matters. the power of thought.

13. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Even if it's not a formal civil war, there is already an ongoing internal conflict in the USA in the wake of George Floyd's death, one with a death toll that is quietly mounting, and which now includes civilians killing other civilians. The more likely route to something "like a civil war" would be this escalating drastically in the wake of the Presidential election. If escalation grows bad enough, Trump will order troops out, and with barely disguised partisan marching orders. The units mobilized have to make a choice at that point, and that's where the potential of a split in armed forces exists.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  14. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I hope you're being sarcastic... Because I've always imagined the power of thought to have the ability to think, develop ideas, argue, accept contradictory ideas and thinking... At least, this is what I've been taught in my history and philosophy classes. It's not a wonder then when, compared to European system, many say that the American education system seems to be a failed one when they are just limiting the most important classes in order for you to just being able to do a job brainlessly, without any thinking... until things can go upside down in a society...

15. a star war

May 4, 2016
    fire superiority. you must rapidly post in small, easily consumed hyperbole, if you are to overcome the enemy.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Your opinions and ideas are derived from youtube videos and don't match the reality of the country you speak of but don't live in. I'm not even on social media and never have been. Neither are any of the people I know. We don't spend time on social media because most of us grew up without computers or the internet, so it just isn't part of our culture.

It doesn't matter what you're for because you're not here and you have no vote or any influence over the situation, you are merely looking down your nose from another country. I'm not impressed with your ability to be civil from afar. I'm not particularly interested in a discussion with you, as I don't think you have much of interest to say. Everything you've said so far has been incredibly trite and condescending. It's so paternalistic that it's actually pretty offensive.

Abso-****ing-lutely I would use the same tone, as this isn't performative, this isn't roleplaying, this isn't a game of enlightened civility for me, these are real problems in my actual life, the place I'm coming from is genuine. What you see from me here is the real ****ing me. I am angry, abrasive, assertive, aggressive, combative. I have a lot of genuine rage, and it has nothing to do with bougie ass social media. I come from a very violent place where one has to be on their guard and ready to fight at all times, or else you get knocked the **** out and robbed. I've seen this weak ass "would you say this to my face" concern a lot on the internet, I've seen comments about my "tone", people who think I would somehow automatically be nicer and more polite in public, and the concept is just utterly alien to me. I'm not a nice person, I don't come from a nice place or nice people. This tone is my tone, and the tone of everyone I know.

We're from two different worlds. Only people from your world can even think of "tone". ****ing tone, as if that's a legitimate concern. You're a living meme, with your tone policing. I can't get over it. It's just so typical and worthless. People being killed in the streets, throwing bricks in response, and your response is a nerdy, nasally "could you change your tone, please". This is why I'm not particularly interested in discussing anything with you, because you're from a different world, you don't know what you're talking about at all, it's all a distant observation for you, and you don't have anything to say that could be of any interest to me and where I'm from.

Your comments don't even contradict mine, they exist on the sideline. They're not even involved. We're not talking about the same things. I'm talking about actual problems, and you're merely talking about the tone and civility with which I talk about actual problems.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Death to America

Not as short as a star war's but it's also succinct.

18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Forget civil war. What we need is an Alexander the Great or Napoleon, only greater, and more successful, to conquer the entire world and then impose an authoritarian environmentalist regime, possibly some kind of climate feudalism, whereby a tiny number of feudal lords get to live high energy lifestyles, a small educated skilled underclass provide whatever tech support is needed to keep the lights running for the feudal overlords, while everybody else engages in organic farming with hand tools. 3 billion people die in the global war of conquest, nearly another 4 billion die of famine and pestilence. The rest establish the rigid global caste system of haves and don't haves necessary to ensure the long term survival of the human race at a more environmentally friendly population and consumption level. We also need a really brutal new global religion to tie it all together and enforce compliance.

At any rate, that's the dream.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why does Peter Thiel post here?

20. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    So
    Him

[​IMG]
    Or
    [​IMG]

But with a focus on saving the environment rather than intergalactic conquest.
    Is kinda what your saying.

bluealien1 likes this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yes, you have my permission.

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Huh I don't think I need to argue with SWfan ever, I can just link to this. thx

But seriously liberalism has killed imagination or empathy that goes beyond "I see you, you're valid" it is what Mandela said.

SuperWatto likes this.
  23. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    No. We are too fat, lazy, spoiled and stupid to fight for anything. The Republicans will transform the country into an authoritarian soft fascist state and the Democrats will take it like the punks they are.

There will be more isolated violence. More Heather Heyers. Again, the Democrats will take it like the punks they are.

They will leave us with the pretense of choice, when we actually have no choice and no rights. We are property and nothing else.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
  25. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    No offence to SWFan, but I always cringe when I see people ask this question. No, you don't live in a country on the verge of civil war, nor one particularly susceptible one.

vncredleader likes this.