main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Covid is on a roll everywhere it seems. I don't feel it much myself as the community I live in is declared Covid free and has been so since April/May, but we had same tendencies here - the cities where the universities are located had a rapid increase when universities started up and are now back to at least partly lockdown again. But 2nd wave seems to be on retrait too.

Travelling to see my mother in the summer vacation was a bit more interesting than usual - drove my own car, so no worries there, but I actually emphasized having stopovers in Covid free (or -low) communities and the hand disinfection spray is permanently placed in the "pocket" of the inside of the door next to the driver's seat [face_tee_hee]. My mother is 82 and has slightly reduced lung capacity so I surely didn't want to bring with me any bugs there. Fortunately the community she lives in has been almost Covid free too so she can move quite freely around and so could I. I even had a lot of nice cafe visits with my cousins. Hand disinfection and some free space to neighbouring tables was sufficient.

I admit I was a little less careful on my way back home but even then I decided not to stop in any "red" or "dark orange" counties. I do not want to be the one who is bringing Covid back home either.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Because I'm Gamiel:

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    W
    Our vacation this year was running off to the wilderness where 90% of the time, we weren’t around other hikers and we had a kitchen in our rental cottage.

4. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @DarthIshtar that actually sounds like a great time. Just being away from everything for a few days would be really nice right now.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think that's the best kind of vacation right now! But man, I'm dreaming of a beach somewhere really pretty!

Carajinn- That's great things are not so bad around you! The universities near me seem to be doing a pretty good job virus wise, which kinda shocked me.

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Hearing everyone’s holiday plans and adventures is lovely. It’s school holidays here but we haven’t been anywhere at all. We could but packing two kids in a car and then disrupting their sleep routine is just too hard at the moment.

My muse has decided just to up and leave. Nothing is working and my desire to do much has just up and left. Think it might be from having too many projects going at once but it sucks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My mom is moving to a village/small town whose name could be translated into Silent Hill.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and mavjade like this.
  8. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @Kit' I feel your pain! A few months ago I was (somewhat) happily writing away and now the muse, the inspiration, my confidence, everything is just gone and I have no idea how to get it back. It really does suck!

@Gamiel Oh, creepy!

They filmed the Silent Hill movie where I live, and our downtown was in such bad shape at the time that everybody was joking they should keep the sets up because a haunted, otherworldly ghost town was such a big improvement. :p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  9. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    OMG, today I have had the most stressful day in years. The company which is manning the reception where I work is on strike and thus we have to take care of it ourselves, which means that everyone who has a couple of available hours are encouraged to enroll for an hour or two. Since Friday afternoon is quiet I signed up for three, which was kind of impressive since I have a mild anxiety for phones [face_worried] .

I got some instructions about what to do if a fire alarm was issued or if someone got injured and needed ambulance, and how to close after end of work day - but they completely forgot to tell me how to answer the phone. And I didn't ask - how difficult could that be?
    More difficult than we all thought, I guess, because when the first incoming phone rang I couldn't find where to answer the $!#$!#" thing. I pressed green button and red button and the phone rang - and rang -and rang - and..... *stress*

So I had to call a co-worker who is more familiar with the reception than I.

"Just press the button on the head set...."

"Oh...."

Kriff it....

Needless to say that improved the situation a lot, and when the next call came I was even able to set it over to the right person. *clapping my own shoulder proudly *

Not my best moments in the beginning of the watch but it helped that I've heard about some of the troubles my co-workers had on their watch [face_rofl] . Obviously we're all out of our right environtments there. Oh, well, at least no firealarm went off and no-one needed ambulance so I guess I didn't mess up big time. ^:)^

AzureAngel2, jcgoble3, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

by the way of

AzureAngel2, Kahara, CaraJinn and 2 others like this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So I was thinking about some of the users we haven't seen in a while and particularly @Chyntuck. I peeked at her profile and lo and behold, after a nearly two-year absence from the boards, she posted in the Senate yesterday! Hope to see you back around fanfic soon, Chyntuck!

12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well in these crazy times :) Thanks for the tag @jcgoble3 !

I haven't been around for ages, so I'm not too sure where to start. Mr Chyn and I are fine but our lives have been beyond busy this past couple of years. We are now parents to the mostest beautifulest little girl from Syria and we're completely gaga about her (actually, "gaga" doesn't begin to describe it when it comes to Mr Chyn, he's completely lost it). Since we both work insane full-time jobs it's become close to impossible to do anything else. We also have a new little niece who was born during the lockdown in April. Oh, and my Somali friend who lives on the ground floor with her two daughters got married with a man from Morocco and now she's pregnant too. So basically the population of Chyntuckopolis is growing and becoming ever more multi-ethnic, and the big fat Greek family is turning into the United Nations.

On the Covid front, so far Greece seems to have the situation mostly under control, although sadly it looks like things won't stay that way. This is making things complicated for my mother, who turned 80 this year and doesn't want to spend the rest of her life in isolation, so we're doing what we can to keep her safe within reason when she's living in a kolkhoz setup with 8 adults and 8 children. For now it's easy because the weather is still very mild, so we sit on the balconies and keep our distances, but when winter comes we'll have to figure it out.

This week's big news was last Wednesday the verdict in the trial of Golden Dawn, the neo-Nazi party that was in parliament here. The whole family took the day off and we went all together to the rally outside the courthouse. I can say without exaggeration that it was one of the best days of my life. They were found guilty on all counts (murder, aggravated assault, membership in a criminal organisation, you name it). When it was announced people cheered, cried, jumped up and down, hugged each other. It was extraordinary. We're probably all going to die from Covid after that rally, but as my mum said "who cares, we witnessed history in the making". Why don't we have a V for victory emoji on the boards?

That's it from me! Lots of love to everyone [face_love] I'll try to pop in more often but DRL is being difficult.

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    It's so good to hear from you @Chyntuck !! [:D] Congratulations to you and Mr. Chyn on the little girl!!
    I'm so glad things are going well, and Whooo... for the trial! That's fantastic news! We hope to see you around more often, but I think we can all understand DRL!

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Keep on fighting the good fight there @Chyntuck.
    A good reminder that this isn't just a Trump thing. It's a poison all over the world.

Kahara, AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Echoing this with a big fat SQUEEAGE! So happy about the influx of babies LOL and the victory against false accusations and oppressors. :eek: Greece is probably a bastion and Simon Says for safety since no duh! the U.S. so isn't! :p

16. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great to hear from you @Chyntuck and congratulations on the little girl! That’s so adorable!!! Hopefully we still hear from you periodically but life’s kinda weird for us all.

As for me, I survived my half brother’s wedding. It was awkward with my former step family and I didn’t know how ultra religious (and pompous) the brides family is (thankfully she’s nothing like them). There were some really cringe worthy speeches from both sides. I left the reception fairly early. I’m just so very glad I probably never have to see any of those people ever again.

I head back home tomorrow and I’m going to self isolate for 14 days (I don’t have to since it’s still the same province but I feel like it’s the socially responsible thing to do) and I’m kinda looking for forward to it. I have some work stuff to do but I can kinda do it at my leisure.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Apologies for the double post but I just feel I have to rant right now. I am just so over my job right now and I'm not sure if this is a reflection of me or my employers. Basically my contract ended the first week of October but I was asked on to stay another ~20 hours (the equivalent of about a week for me) to finish up my project. I said, yeah, sure, I'll finish it up when I get back from the wedding because I was also waiting on some edits on some drafts (which I sent to my co-worker weeks ago). I'm still waiting on a couple drafts. I sent an email to my boss wednesday morning (after not hearing from her since before I left). And I haven't heard back from her, and normally she replies within a few minutes. I think I'm just going to email her the second drafts of what I have and just get out of there, because I'm kinda dealing with 3 employers right now and my brain is in full melt-down mode (and I'm still kinda in an introvert exhaust puddle from dealing with the wedding and traveling).

I sign a contract for a grant I received from the provincial Museums Association tomorrow. It's a relatively short contract (~25 hours) but the pay is damn good. AAAAAAANNNNND another non-profit is trying to secure funding so they can hire me. It's an adaptive sport and travel society and I would be doing a bunch of different local stuff with programming adapted kayaking, hiking, snowshoeing, etc.

Kahara, AzureAngel2, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, I'd be wanting to get that off my mind ASAP if I were that stressed out. Send the draft and check out. At least you have another job lined up and ready to go, even if it's a short one.

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Ugh, that's so annoying, Bri! And I know this because similar things happen to me with my job all the time. I'd totally just send the edits and be done with it. YAY for the other jobs/almost jobs!! :D I'm also glad the wedding went okay and you don't have to deal with the crappy people ever again!

I've got one more work week (and tomorrow) before I'm off for a week!! I can't wait, I badly need the break.

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and Briannakin like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, so I pretty much just sent in what I could. I told her I was available tomorrow but yeah, I'm pretty much out. It was an alright job, but being a contract employee working from home I kinda felt forgotten about... a lot.

Congrats on the week off! I'm kinda jealous!! I'm thinking I might take one of those next week (that wedding did NOT count as a break). Technically I have until the end of March to do this 25 hour project and the other job 'offer' has yet to sort out funding. Maybe I should take this opportunity for a week off while I can.

@mavjade Your new avatar reminds me I need to tell you I finished Leviathan Wakes! SOOOOO GOOOOD! I'm going to start the second book this evening. For everyone else, if you need a new TV series/book series to get you through this winter, I recommend The Expanse!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    mavjade , Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  21. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    That sucks about the job @Briannakin, I hate it when people leave you hanging and you can't get in contact with them. It's like 'you wanted this..."

I'm teaching Taming of the Shrew this term. (Have I mentioned I'm not a trained English teacher? Apparently because humanities subjects and English both use English to communicate means that I can teach English - I cannot.) So to help my kids understand it I went trolling through Youtube for clips and found the production by the Royal Shakespeare Company in which they flip the genders of the characters. It's really well done and the actor playing Katherine is just wonderful. Unfortunately I can only get clips which is a bit sad as I want to watch it I'd love to show my kids all of it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    mavjade , Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Right?!! And it only gets better from there. I honestly think it's some of the best Science Fiction I've ever read/watched.

I seriously try to get everyone I know who is interested in SciFi to watch/read it. If anyone does give it a shot the TV show is a little slow to warm up, it's so much world building in the first few episodes, but once you get to about episode 5, it really picks up and you won't want to stop.

That sounds awesome!! And it sounds like it would be a great version to show the kids, I know I always liked it when I was in school and we could watch updated versions that still were true to the show but were more entertaining. I'm sorry you are having to teach something you aren't comfortable teaching... I know that's not fun (Not from experience, but my mom was a teacher)!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I did end up finding it on a streaming app so I've signed up for a month. Watched it now have a slight crush on the male actor who plays Katherine (now I have my actor for Del!). I still hate the play but I do love the acting. I think my kids will, like you said, respond much better to watching it then trying to drag themselves through Shakespeare. As for not feeling comfortable, thank you. I haven't taught in either areas that I'm trained in for about 5 years (Modern history 5 years, Ancient History - never, World Religion - 14 years). I went from training to be a humanities teacher to teaching philosophy (which I love), science (which is okay) and English (which I detest because I teach it like a philosophy teacher and point out all the ways in which it is a stupid language).

In good news, the block for the Namia/Kit long fic finally dissipated (Shakespeare always at least gets my muse going), but now I've hit the 'is this actually good' blockade. Grrr. Go away self-doubt. Be gone with thee!

mavjade likes this.
  24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm at Fiyahcon, which is a writing conference about BIPOC voices and representation in Scifi and Fantasy and am learning so many things. The hour's panel is on representing more East Asian legends in modern stories.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    CaraJinn and Gamiel like this.