main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your favorite little moment or detail in the PT? (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 30, 2015.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    That whole Scene is amazing. Padmes Beauty, Anakins Pain, the locket. Ist a beautiful Scene and it transits into another great Scene which is shot beautifully...the Scene with Anakin and Yoda.

Tonyg, Jimbing, CampOfSorgan and 4 others like this.
  2. Moonshield76

Moonshield76 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2020
    Yep.
    Padme's pain also.
    The locket looks fantastic: "my heart belongs to that boy from Tatooine". Very, very tiny details.

Yep. Play of light and shadow. Though, my favourite cinematography is the AOTC. Veranda night scenes also.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Watching a Phantom Menace analysis video, and this really cool comparison between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's teaching methods was pointed out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Jar Jar numbing his tongue on Anakins pod racers power coupling disables his speech. The same speech that will grant Palpatine the emergency powers that will make him emperor in the next movie.

5. Merrin

Merrin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2019
    I love the contrast between the two of them and the following close-up of them holding hands. It's a very beautiful scene.

[​IMG]

6. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    God, if He wills, blessed me with a thought:

What if the moment in Revenge Of The Sith where Anakin is staring out at the sunset, before he leaves to stop Mace from killing Palpatine, is a parallel of sorts, to Shmi's and Anakin's exchange from The Phantom Menace:

ANAKIN: "I don't want things to change."

SHMI: "But you can't stop the change, anymore than you can stop the suns from setting."

Him staring out and then acting can almost play as a rejection of that, of Anakin saying to himself wrongfully in his ego, 'I can stop the suns from setting.'

7. Moonshield76

Moonshield76 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2020
    I've always thought that Natalie's acting in that scene was fantastic. She looks like "I know I will die for love".

Jimbing and StartCenterEnd like this.
  8. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    Jango Fett vs. Obi Wan Kenobi!

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    A little detail I love from AOTC is the sound that Dooku's Solar Sailer makes when leaving Geonosis, almost like a high pitched scream. For years I thought it was part of the soundtrack for some reason. Admittedly it's the type of sound you can picture a ship owned by a Sith Lord to have. It goes well with Williams score as well, really helping the overall mood of dread.

Also I just have to say the Solar Sailer is a pretty underrated ship in it's own right.

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The moments where Anakin and Obi-Wan argue about putting the ship down to help Padme to where Anakin charges Dooku and gets electrocuted in AOTC.

Anakin's character flaws are put on blast, highlighting everything about the character that will lead to his downfall while also foreshadowing the aspects he overcomes in ROTS.

Anakin just losing a loved one means he can't afford to lose another, showing how his compassion makes him irrational. This also refutes Matt Lanter's claim that "movie Anakin was never shown to care about anyone" which is such a ludicrous statement. However, Anakin's maturity is seen when he reluctantly admits Padme would do her duty to stop the war. However, that turmoil and willingness to put his Jedi duty aside for a loved one is a theme that runs deep in adult Anakin's entire characterization thanks to AOTC.

When we get to the hanger, we see the antithesis to both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship in Episode I and Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship in Episode III. Where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan fought as one against Maul, even Obi-Wan using a fakeout tactic for Qui-Gon to strike at Maul, Anakin and Obi-Wan are shown to not be in sync with one another. Anakin's rage at possibly losing Padme and seeing dozens of fellow Jedi slaughtered has Anakin in a emotionally charged state. "You're gonna pay for all the Jedi that you killed today, Dooku." The callback in ROTS not only highlights a humorous one-liner from Anakin, "I was about to say that," but shows how far he has come just like Luke from ESB to ROTJ.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  11. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Some of Lanter's comments make me wonder if a) he has ever really watched the entire 1-6 saga or b) if he just doesn't grasp the messages Lucas put into his films. How can you (general) make the claim that Anakin was never seen to care when that character trait is visibly demonstrated in Episode 1?

He offers shelter to Qui Gon and Padme during the sand storm
    He offers to help them win the money for parts to repair the ship
    He struggles in his decision to leave his mother

Lanter sounds like he's just regurgitating everything negative he's heard about the PT and trying to be cool by bashing the character and/or HC. His claims about the PT acting and characterization/pot shots at Christensen are laughable to me when his own body of work has not resulted in any sort of industry recognition.

12. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I don't remember TCW's Anakin, or any of its characters in general, having much scope when it came to emotions and relationships. The show seemed much more interested in battles and the "adventure of the day" than character-building or depth.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Tonyg, Count Yubnub, wobbits and 2 others like this.
  13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The suggestive attention Anakin draws in the nightclub. Very different feeling to the unworldly Luke being over his head in the cantina. And at the same time, the manner in which Anakin ignores this status he could likely claim at any time and instead focuses on his various longings and demons totally supports the PT's overall tragic tone.

oierem, Toddy and Subtext Mining like this.
  14. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I agree. Lanter has always been a spokesperson for the "TCW is bringing back the OT feels, baby!" part of the fandom. I do believe that's a result of Lanter being chosen to reboot Anakin and not actually learn to understand or respect the craft that Hayden put into the character. Lanter does seem to feel he was chosen to "right the wrongs" of PT Anakin, which is why I can never accept him as Anakin, outside of some anti-PT fanficer's fantasy for how Anakin should be.

You're not wrong. The first 3 Seasons especially. They do admittedly TRY in Seasons 4-6, but the depth of exploring Anakin's angst is surface-level and nowhere near the complexity in the films or the multimedia project. It also feels totally whiplash-enducing given Seasons 1-3 establishing how level-headed Anakin is, and then Season 4 trying to introduce a more movie accurate Anakin doesn't quite work or develop in the way they wanted it to. Just feels like they gave Anakin more angst because the timeline is getting closer to ROTS instead of being a natural development from the first 3 seasons.

15. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Agreed.

Lanter's got nothing on HC. He didn't have to work his butt off with a lightsaber/Nick G., there's no stunts, no having to bulk up, no attempting to learn to walk in risers, no hours in the make up chair to look burnt to a crisp. Hayden at least made the effort study JEJ inflections and cadence but Lanter sounds like cocky cowboy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  16. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Since I recently acquired a diecast model of this ship, I wanna gush a little about this design for the 'refugee ship' that Anakin and Padme travel on in AOTC:
    [​IMG]

Instantly the first thing that jumps out are the three engines. With that one design choice, a link is created back to the Republic Cruiser from the opening of TPM:
    [​IMG]

It shows that they share a common design background, setting up a great standard aesthetic for the 'civilian' class of ships in the Republic's fleet. One little choice, three engines, and boom, instantly they feel as a part (Rogue One did something similar with the U-Wing in regards to the X-Wing, both unique designs, but feeling of the same 'brand' so to speak, same with the cargo ships and imperial shuttles).

Also the refugee ship is just neat, I like the large lower half that's clearly implied to carry cargo. It's nice to see a ship that's not built for combat, we so rarely get those :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  17. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Back in 2008/2009 there was some talk that George had "given up" on Hayden and "realized" he was a "miscast" after Hayden had not been chosen to voice Anakin in the TCW movie. I always found that idea incredibly sad (since I felt that Hayden really got what George wanted with the Prequels - more so that Ewan or Natalie). I just hope that is not the case and I am a lot more positive about it since Hayden attended George's wedding a few years ago. I guess Hayden's Anakin might have just been a little too complex and disturbing for the kind of show that George envisioned TCW to be at the time.

You know, for all the flack AOTC gets for its "dated CGI", the scene of this cruiser taking off is magnificent in its scope and boldness. I mean, this is a daytime shot when it would have been so easy as a night-time shot. For every shot of "bad CG" in this movie there are numerous brilliant shots that are regularly taken for granted. This was the age of.. I don't know... Windows 98 and private internet as slow as a snake climbing Mount Everest... what they did was groundbreaking in both quantity and quality.

18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Regarding that whole post, I just rewatched TPM, and I realised there is prior precedent for the 'three-engine denoting civillian class ships' within TPM itself. See, I completely forgot about this ship near the end:
    [​IMG]

So the refugee ship fits in even better in that common aesthetic than I thought :p

19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I could be wrong but I suspect the 3 main engine thing goes back to the rebel transport ships, as well as to the Star Destroyers.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    KyleKartan and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That Mandalorian/Clone looking front window is a nice detail that goes hand in hand with the film's recurring use of fins (on the clone troopers' helmets, for instance).

21. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    One detail I've not seen commented on before is the similarity between Padme's funeral casket and Anakin's medical capsule:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's quite an apt parallel, one that in many ways sums up the essential divide between Sith and Jedi that the movie as a whole is going for. On one hand we have the light side, represented by the pure, untainted memory of Padme, preserved in death as the beautiful woman she always was. Through the OT, we know that her memory will be carried on through her children, that the belief the innate goodness of Anakin will live on through them. A kind of spiritual immortality in a way, reflecting the Jedi nature to let go of attachments to the physical.

For the Sith, rather than the true enlightenment Palpatine promised, their form of immortality is this base, crude thing, focused entirely on suspending Anakin at the point of death. His body is kept alive physically through horrific means, sustaining him long past the point where it would seem humane or decent. In the end, the only immortality Anakin attains is one where his body is this horrible Frankenstein's monster, a living corpse crying out into the void.

Hell, even the smooth curves of Padme's bier contrast perfectly with the harsh angles on Anakin's pod :p

22. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Anytime Anakin promises something, it always goes wrong.

Anakin promises to free Shmi in Episode I.
    Anakin promises he won't fail in saving someone again in Episode II.
    Anakin promises Padme won't die in Episode III.

Another one I just noticed is when Vader tells Padme "things will be different, I promise" after he raids the Temple. Ironically, Anakin is right this time. However, the theme fits. What Vader promises doesn't happen and the drastic changes involve his wife still dying, and him being scorched alive and put in an iron lung for the rest of his life.

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    In ROTS, Anakin informs Palpatine that Obi-Wan’s fate will be the same as theirs.

This directly contrasts what Obi-Wan tells Luke in ANH before parting ways- “Your destiny lies along a different path from mine.”

May not be an intentional mirror, but Luke’s acceptance shows that he is willing to accept his Master’s choice.

Unlike Luke, Anakin was not putting the mission first aboard the Invisible Hand by accepting Obi-Wan’s fate.

I admit it’s hard to fault Anakin too much because he doesn’t know that Palpatine isn’t worth saving and didn’t seem to think that Palpatine actually wanted Obi-Wan to die (which he did).

24. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    A very deliberate shot choice parallel between ROTS and ROTJ I just noticed when rewatching the latter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In one, the Sith are ascendant, taking their control, while in the other it's the complete reverse, with the Jedi finally getting their chance to return to prominence.

25. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I've gone through a rewatch of the PT recently and I could mention lots of things, but since RotS is the most fresh to me, one thing that stood out (and maybe it's been mentioned already) was the scene of Palpatine touching the head of the Anakin after he's burnt. It's ironically done as if it's some kind of blessing from a saint, and it's very reminiscent of how Qui-Gon touched young Anakin's head before the podrace. Both Anakin's mentors, both his father-figures, his first and his last.

Also, I think I forgot that shot of Owen standing in that spot where Luke stands looking at the sunset in that classic shot. Makes you kind of wonder if Owen was a bit like ANH Luke when he was younger.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Tonyg, Starwarsisover, Toddy and 3 others like this.