main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Coronavirus Escape Pod (Vent/Emotional Support/Share/Homeschool Help!))

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke02, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I hope Fauci is being overly cautious on what the horizon looks like and, you know, maybe that's a perfectly reasonable estimate right now, given what we know.
    But we should also try to keep a little optimism and hope that maybe there will be some unforeseen scientific breakthrough that could speed up the development of a safe and effective vaccine. And maybe we'll bounce back sooner from this.
    As I always like to say, "hoping for the best but expecting the worst"...

2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I looked it up VA has a plan as in who gets the vaccine first (seniors) and how it will be sent to pharmacies when readily available. But there's no definitive timeline. Just once the vaccine becomes available here are our steps to distribute.

3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I think a big factor will be how many people will take the vaccine once it becomes widely available. In the 60 Minutes "overtime" segment , Fauci explicitly noted that that is a key component which will determine how soon things can start returning more to "normal". And that in turn makes more more pessimistic, as I think that there is a segment of the population that's not as extreme as people who are totally "anti-vax," but will be still more hesitant to take a new vaccine, especially given the general politicization surrounding the pandemic response to date. So I fear that will make our progress back to whatever the (new) "normal" will be even slower.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well my personal progress back to normal will happen fast. I would have been in a trial if I didn't have other conditions that prohibit me from doing so. I will be first in line when it's available to me.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    That does seem like a very valid cause for concern. It could make it near impossible to ever drop your guard for long when you're out and about.

Pensivia likes this.
  6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I will take the vaccine as soon as it's available to me as well (assuming Fauci approves/recommends it). But if too many people don't, I think there will still be a need for caution since of course even if the optimistic predictions hold true, the vaccine will only be about 70% effective, and we don't know what the state of therapeutics will be.

I think that will be one of the difficulties of this whole process--the fact that there will not be a clear demarcation of when the pandemic is actually "over." I was reading this article (from mid-September) in the Atlantic about that:

There Won’t Be a Clear End to the Pandemic
    The collective sense of closure we’re all longing for may never arrive. Instead, brace for a slow fade into a new normal.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    What is school like in Fairfax County VA?

[​IMG]
    The teachers wear Dr. suits. Each child stays in their colored area. This is the autistic pre -K classroom in my son's school. He will have a desk, computer and pencil paper in his square instead of toys (he's 2nd grade), but you get the general idea. This was on twitter so I assume it's safe to share.

Luke02 and Pensivia like this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I start working in a school in-person again on Friday. Thankfully I'll mostly be in my own room but it's still going to be nerve-wracking.

Jedi Ben and Pensivia like this.
  9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Ugh, on the news today it said spikes would get much worse this month. Sounds horrible and unpleasant to think about.

I will be happy with any vaccine available ASAP. I'm honestly desperate enough to risk it

Pensivia and Princess_Tina like this.
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    People need to keep taking all appropriate precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  11. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Very much agree!

There is a family down the street who regularly holds maskless gatherings. Very archetypal. Today I saw a bunch of Trump signs on their lawn.
    A lot of stereotypical customer complaints at my job as well, but a lot of people are good about it too

I live in a relatively conservative region of the most left-wing state, so it's tough.

Pensivia and Princess_Tina like this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'll get the vaccine but I won't be first in line. I'll wait a bit to see if there are any bad side effects. My age group will probably get it for free on the NHS as we do flu shots.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Princess_Tina and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    @Princess_Tina you are SO right. Dr Fauci said exactly that on a TV thing I saw last night. We don't need to shut down again. Just distance and mask up. We can do this :)

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, no, I'm not into spikes.

Juliet316 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  15. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
  16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Had a very stereotypical experience at work today where a customer caused a major scene over the mask issues.
    Multiple managers and the police got involved.
    I am expecting a spike in that type of incident around and after Election Day as people react to the results for better or worse.

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Over a mask? It sounds so, so bonkers.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sadly it happens way more often than it should.

Juliet316 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    My colleague told our boss on a call that he couldn't watch any of our online conference last week because he was too busy with his new puppy. Yes he actually said that out loud to our boss... She didn't respond, but who knows if she did privately.

Idiots like this are why I am gonna have to go back to working part time in the office some day. Because some morons will really take advantage and won't get their work done. Ugh.

Juliet316, Jedi Ben and Rew like this.
  20. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Massachusetts submitted their Vaccine plan - Healthcare workers, essential workers, long term care facilities, prisons, elderly, ill, adults, kids.

This jump in our numbers is extremely discouraging. Damn.

KissMeImARebel and Rew like this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    A (hopefully) close to the tp shortage saga: Kroger finally had the Scott's bathroom brand that I use (which lasts longer than other brands IMO) yesterday, so I grabbed an 8 pack, which will hopefully last for awhile (of course I plan to grab another pack the next time I'm at the store).

Edit: Oh and I got my flu shot yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Congrats on the flu shot @Juliet316 =D=

The TP that we'd bought in March is almost gone, may be stopping by Costco sometime soon. Their prices really can't be beat.

Emperor Ferus and Juliet316 like this.
  23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Just a Melbournian that wants to do a Happy Snoopy Dance somewheres online.

We're opening up!

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Meanwhile KC's positivity rate hit 25%.... Wouldn't be surprised if we lock down again.

Luke02, Pensivia and Kiki Jinn like this.
  25. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    I drove the family through downtown Dallas last night before we called it a weekend. Hell of a lot of people out. I mean, except for the sight of masks (when present), it looked like any non-COVID weekend. So here’s to not even (or barely) trying.

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.