main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ... When you write a 150 words on a 5 random word prompt and feel pretty darn proud of what you accomplished.

2. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    When you've finally gotten past the point of staring at a blank screen while crying and feeling like a complete failure to getting a few words down before crying and feeling like a complete failure...

... and Bruce Springsteen's music is the reason you've gotten any words down at all because he is LIFE. [face_love]

3. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When you can't believe it's been 15 years to the day that you started this crazy adventure. 15 years! :oops::eek: [face_party]

4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Congratulations and many more! [:D]

5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW two hours after you created your OC, Steve, you have an intense conversation with an acquaintance, Steve, and you've never really spent that much time with him so you ponder the existence of Some Fanfic Orchestrator pulling your strings ... *looks nervously over shoulder*

6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    *Looks around nervously* I also debuted a new OC named Steve just today. Freaky. o_O

:p

7. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    It's a sign ... of the ... times ... [face_pumpkin][face_pumpkin][face_pumpkin][face_devil][face_skull][face_skull]

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    When you are watching something completely unrelated and an actor come up and you're like "Yep! That's what OC character looks like~!"

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  9. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Been there... My OC Kens Eli...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    When you take the dog for a walk, and you come up with the perfect ending. Just heartfelt and tragic and perfect. But then you sit down to write it and it refuses to look anywhere as good on the screen.

Ugh.

11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh my gosh, yes, this so much ... a favorite author, Leon Garfield, said via his ancient Greek character gathering stories town to town, "What was the real truth of it all? Housekeepers' tales and his own longing for the world to be larger and more mysterious than it was. However brightly everything shone in his mind, in his hands it crumbled to dust."

12. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Have you tried recording your thoughts/ideas or using a speech recognition program? I found it helps a lot with retaining what you were thinking by speaking it out loud. By the time you try to write it down, you likely forgot most of it or it doesn't come out as expected.

13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

Like writing down your dreams when you wake up.

Because it is sort of like a dream.
    I can feel what the characters feel. I know their past, their motivations, the little twist of emotion that goes along with it all, far more than can be expressed in a short story. But to put that into a few paragraphs or a handful of lines of dialogue is what I guess great songwriters do.
    The exact right words of the emotion.

14. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW your OC, whom you've introduced last month after he squatted on your h/d for a year, has an overwhelmingly obvious distinguishing physical characteristic of another author's OC, who got introduced about 5 months back. There is fanart of their OC by this author and you're unsure whether to mention the coincidence "hey look I thought of it too here are timestamps!!l" but you don't know how to do screengrabs or timestamps ... so you dither :c3po: and yearn for the days of 'zines.[face_love]

15. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    YKYAFFWW... this speaks to you...

[​IMG]

16. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You think you won't have time to write because it's Thanksgiving week, but then you end up writing an entire chapter in a day because inspriation strikes like lightning.

17. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    You've been dabbling with a completely ridiculous crossover-crack plot bunny, then you get hit with a second, even more ridiculous crossover-crack plot bunny.

Then while writing a few notes down for 2nd crack plot bunny, you realize that it is a) scary just how much useless knowledge is stored in your brain and b) even scarier to realize that, for example, you've already forgotten almost everything from college and you barely remember what you did yesterday but you can recall a character's outfit from a book you last read probably ten years ago.

And now you might have to dig out the books and start rereading them. For, uh, research. Yeah. [face_whistling]:p

18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When you are mindlessly browsing YouTube and watch/save to Watch Later a video because the subject matter is tangentially related to a fic you're working on.

pronker and amidalachick like this.
  19. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    When you're working on a chapter and say "oh.. you know, I should go read Jedi Search again before I try to write this 5,000 word chapter", and you've already read the relevant chapters of Jedi Search (a book you don't even like that much) four times in the last six months...

pronker and amidalachick like this.
  20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you write 1157 words of a holiday challenge and reach a logical end point, but realize the story has no real point at all.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    jcgoble3, Toddy, pronker and 4 others like this.
  21. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This. I think you just nailed the fundamental basis of my writing and now I understand it [face_rofl]

pronker and brodiew like this.
  22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    But you make people laugh! [face_laugh]

Kit', gizkaspice and pronker like this.
  23. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    You write a story where you do your darndest to make your original characters fit into canon somehow, someway.

gizkaspice, Kit' and pronker like this.
  24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    You write a long note filled with prose right before bed, intending to add it to the main document in the morning and expand upon it, before doing no such thing the next day.

gizkaspice, Kit', pronker and 2 others like this.
  25. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    You hear a song, think "Oh that would be perfect for a fic!" and get all excited...and then you remember you already wrote a fic around it. D'oh!

Welcome to my world! I try and make myself feel better about it by reminding myself that ultimately life is pointless, so I might as well write what I enjoy. That's probably not a very healthy strategy but sometimes it works. :p

gizkaspice, Kit', pronker and 3 others like this.