main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2020 / November Word Race! - Ready ... Set ... WRITE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Mira_Jade , Oct 20, 2020.

1. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    My first time participating in NanoWrimo was 2005. Aside from 2018, I've tried to get those 50.000 words every year since.
    Managed once or twice. This year? I doubt it. But I might manage 10.000. So that's my personal goal for this year.
    I've been working on a sci-fi novel for the past few months. I started my outline in April and I really like where my story and especially my characters are headed.
    FanFiction has helped me soooo much when it comes to writing original fiction. A lot of the character personalities I played around with here on the boards, keep coming back to life in original characters. Makes me fall in love with them all over again.
    Anyway, I'm writing about a dystopian world with a strict religion and the main characters breaking out of the confines of this world. There's a Chosen One and there's a Destroyer. And a prophecy. And it's sooooo much fun. :D
    Happy Writing!

2. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    It's last minute, but I think I've settled on a project I like enough to commit to this year's Nano. I'm going for the full 50,000, though it will be estimated, since I've turned into something of a longhand purist over the past few years. In some ways I think this year will actually be harder though, I don't think of virtual write-ins as having the same focusing effect as the real thing.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Participant list has been updated! Welcome!

On the topic of the virtual write ins, what do people think of them? I never participated in any real ones, but in the past I used to go to the library for a few hours and that always boosted my productivity and I will be missing that.

Also, who's ready to get started? I think I'm more excited for this this year than I have in the past. I finished watching the series I'm writing in last night. It wasn't really my goal to, I had actually been trying to savour the end, it just kinda worked out that way, which I'm actually kinda thankful for. I kinda knew the general gist of how it ended but there were some minor plot points I'm going to use and something that really works to fit a bit of a plot issue I was having. Plus I think I might turn a major plot point I had no idea happened into a sub-plot.

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Huzzah, it's November 1st! And what a perfect day to gain an extra hour on, at that! Unleash your muses, fellow writers, and please feel free to share your progress in this thread as you go. :D [face_dancing]

[​IMG]
    So, for our next Discussion: what are your ideal writing conditions? Do you do anything special for NaNoWriMo? Do you need silence, music, coffee pumped directly into your veins, or even a moat between you and your family that says do not cross, I am NaNo-ing? :p I know we kind of touched on this with the subject of going to libraries (so missed!), and virtual write-ins (what an excellent idea!) Are you doing anything special to help inspire your muse this November?

Happy writing, everyone! :D [:D]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I must say that it warms my librarian heart to hear people saying how much they miss libraries, because we miss our patrons and all our usual services as well. Hopefully, next year at some point things will be able to go back to normal.

As to my ideal writing conditions, I tend to prefer to write when I have a big chunk of time in which to write (so often on the weekends or in the evenings after work) and can just focus on writing. I don't tend to write that well in complete silence. I usually prefer to have some music playing in the background. What music I like to listen to depends on the mood of whatever I'm writing. If it's romantic, love songs are great. If it's action scenes, something more dramatic might be in order. If it's a sad scene, a tragic song fits the bill.

I also find that I'm sometimes inspired by my walks outside in nature. The beauty of autumn leaves and the crispness in the air give me motivation. And it also gives me a chance to think about my stories.

I often do really need that time to just contemplate my stories before I sit down to write them, and sometimes I have ideas marinating in my head for weeks or even months before I put anything on the page.

My muse is all in all a strange creature, and I can only try to do her bidding in my humble way. In return, she might deign to inspire me to write something.

I am excited for the start of November, though. It is nice to have a set goal to work toward in terms of a word count, and a group of fellow writers who are also all working toward their individual goals in the same time frame as me. Builds a sense of community and collaboration that I appreciate.

Good luck to everyone this November! May we all meet our goals this month! [face_dancing]

ETA: Not a bad start for me today. Wrote 1,245 words toward my total.

6. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I completely agree with this! Especially this year.

Like @devilinthedetails I spend a lot of time thinking about ideas/stories before I write them down, and since my ideal writing conditions very rarely exist I just put on music and sit down to write whenever I have the time and energy.

I'm trying to make this month in particular be all about having fun and not stressing over Perfection™, so I've got leftover Halloween chocolate, lots of coffee/tea/certain other drinks, and playlists full of my guiltiest-of-guilty-pleasures music. I think I'm set. :p

In the words of Bart Simpson (spoiler-tagged for image size):

[​IMG]

Good luck to everyone on reaching your goals, and hope we all have so much fun regardless! :D

7. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Wrote about 400 words today, and finished the first draft of my Monsters Challenge story. I'll set it aside for a couple of days, then give it a final edit and polish, and go looking for a beta reader, as there are a couple of points I'd like to get a second opinion on.

But, yeah! A good start! :)

I have a room that alternates between a crafting room and a writing room, with a card table, a bazillion craft/sewing supplies, my wireless connection, and a television that I use mostly to watch DVDs and listen to my Spotify account. I have several playlists of instrumental music that I put on when writing (and crafting). Plus a nice cup of hot tea is always welcome.

Touching on the library idea, a couple years ago my library offered a writing space on Saturdays in November. We provided tables, chairs, electrical outlets, Internet, and snacks (very important!). I work in Youth Services, and the Adult Services Librarian and I alternated Saturdays to sit in on the group (and do our own writing, as both of us are authors as well). The program was well-received, even though the numbers dwindled somewhat by the end of the month. People seemed to appreciate having a quiet place to work, away from at-home distractions. We can't do that this year, of course, but perhaps next year we'll try it again.

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I relate to both of these things so much.

Honestly, it depends. I have a office/craft/sewing room (which sounds a lot like @Seldes_Katne's crafting/writing room) which has been my "get stuff done" room over the past few months which I do like to write in when I want to (obviously) get stuff done and probably will take advantage of this month, but (at least this week) I'm likely going to reserve it for working on "adulting"/work related stuff I need to get done. When I'm writing for fun I'm often on my couch wrapped up in blankets (which doesn't sound the greatest for my posture but the ergonomic keyboard helps and being at a desk has other issues).

Anyways, as for other things. I usually like some background noise, whether that be music to fit the mood of my writing, or something brainless (like a TV show I've seen before or documentary that doesn't require my attention). Not sure what I'm going to (re)watch while I write this month. One of the fortunate things of living alone is that there's no one to bug me except for kitties, who might just get extra treats to distract them if they are distracting me when I'm on a roll.

Edit: Very successful day 1! I'm at 1,581! I also hit my main character with a truck... because it's me. Part of me was kinda aiming for the mythical daily 1,667 (the number of words needed a day to the full NANO 50k) but it's not happening, but I'm still going to push myself to do what is reasonably possible.

9. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I personally prefer ambient music - I've yet to find a pair of headphones that doesn't gradually transform into a source of pain - while somehow not in front of an internet connected device and it's endless distractions. However, I find that NaNo is best pursued with an understanding that the ideal conditions shall be rare and that writing must occur at all possible places and times. Got to squeeze out those minutes and keep the immersion level high.

ETA: 4800 words (24 pages at ~200 words per page). Reasonable, but I really wanted to hit that 5,000 mark though.

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    The index has been updated! As always, let us know if anything is off or missing and we'll take care of it. :D

Gah, so much! [face_love] We look forward to being back, too! [:D]

This was PERFECT, and so very relatable for NaNo writing. :p [face_laugh] We are definitely going to have so much fun regardless! [face_dancing]

Amen to this! And so much of what has been said, really!

I'm that dork who makes playlists for all of my stories, and it's usually while I'm listening to those or driving/doing chores/out walking/doing anything but writing that my best ideas percolate and my muse hammers out plot points. Then, I usually try to jot those ideas down in my notebook before I lose them. All of my stories start on paper that way before I actually sit down and type. (So many plot-bunnies, so few actually written words! 8-}) I think that it was Hemingway who said that his sub-conscious was still writing even while he was living day to day, listening to other people and observing them to better inform his stories? (To loosely paraphrase!) But that's definitely how I feel, and I imagine that relates to most of us.

It used to be that I liked some kind of ambient noise while writing, but after working onboard airplanes for the last four years pre-COVID I've really come to value silence. Writing has turned into my time to find a little peace and quiet with just me and my words. I listen to music more when I'm plotting longhand more so than typing. I don't have a specific place where I like to write (I love how perfect your craft rooms sound, though!), I just write wherever and whenever I can plop down with my laptop. But I do love getting up early and writing. I'm the only early bird in my family, so I usually get my best work done before the sun rises while relaxing with my coffee. It's the perfect way to start the day. [face_love]

[face_laugh] Of course you hit your main character with a truck. That sounds like an awesome story already. :p

As for me, I managed to write 2,787 words over the last two days, which isn't too bad of a start! I'll definitely take it! :D

Happy writing all, and may the muses be with you! [:D]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I just posted in my Drabble thread for a total of 741. Off to a good start!

12. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Wow, everyone's so productive already! Way to go!

I've managed 460 words so far, and I even kind of have a plot in mind now, so yay! :D

13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Haven't written anything so far. I've been editing my long-fic, so maybe I could add the random extra words I've had to add in when I've found some really manky sentences...

*sigh*

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Currently sitting at 3060 which I am super proud of! Probably a bit clunky in parts but I'm just having fun which is what I need right now!

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Yay! It's so awesome to see productivity already. Keep up the good work! (And, @Kit', even one word in editing is still a word more than you had! I'm sure your muse will kick in soon enough! ;) [face_dancing]) The index has been updated!

As for myself, I actually had an awesome few days of writing and I'm now up to 6,322 words! Let's see if I can keep my streak going . . . :D

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  16. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I've made a start which is something - 1264 words completed today... :) Yay! Also finished editing first half of the long-fic so that, in itself, is a milestone.

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Lovely to see everyone continuing to chip away at their respective goals=D=

It's been a bit of a chaotic week for me so far (I celebrated my thirtieth birthday yesterday, and I don't know how to feel about that:p) but today I managed to churn out 1,750 words. Hopefully some of those words were quality words. Either way, my total word count is now 2,995.

I'm with @Briannakin in that I think the most important thing for me right now is just focusing on the joy I feel in writing and not really worrying about getting every word perfect. Just getting into the feel and rhythm of writing again is the goal for me right now I think.

18. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Well, my writing has slowed considerably the last few days, so I'm at 1,700 total. But I'm still on track for my goal, so yay? :p

19. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Happy belated birthday! [face_party]

Yay for everyone's progress! I'm especially impressed by all of you who have wordcounts in the thousands! Way to go!

20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I have written 472 words revising a story...and I still don’t like it :p

21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Keep up the good work, everyone! And it’s all good work, however many digits your number has. Our stories can only get closer to finished! @};-

So, as of today, I currently stand at 739, and yes, that is considerably less than what I should have by now in order to realistically reach my goal of 5000. I had been hoping to try to get my count up a little more before sharing it here, and in particular I’d been hoping to try to do some more writing before turning in tonight, but it’s just not in the cards with the busy month this is turning out to be, so I figured, “what the heck, I’ll just post it now.”

At this point I’m not holding my breath about making my goal. (I don’t suppose we can change our goal number, @Mira_Jade ? :p ) But I’m still going to soldier on as best I can and continue reporting my numbers, because just doing that helps motivate and encourage me in its own way.

Sending good vibes to all! :)

22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Took a walk along the beach with my dad yesterday, and it was great for getting my creative juices churning today. I was able to write the first chapter of a story I've been wanting to write since March. I've got 1098 more words done, bringing my grand total to 4,093.

Less than a thousand words left until I reach my goal, which is good since late November will probably get crazy with Thanksgiving here in the US. [face_dancing]

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    The index has been updated! As always, please let us know if there's something that needs to be added or changed. :D

That's honest to goodness the best way to look at it, and sums up writing for our Word Races and NaNo just perfectly. [face_love]

I honestly laughed out loud to read this, mostly because it's so relatable. We've all been there, and there's nothing more frustrating. Here's all of the encouragement for your muse and good vibes I can muster! [:D]

Speaking of encouragement and good vibes for your muse, I have to express that here again! [:D] Those few hundred words are still progress, and important steps towards a finished story - just like you said! Even still, it can be irking when every word is hard won and you'd rather write so much more. I'd like to encourage that you still chip away at your original goal as best you can, especially since there's still a fair bit of the month left to go. Your muse may surprise you! Even if you fall short, any words written are still words you may not have gotten down otherwise. But, the entire goal of a Word Race is to encourage and help motivate writing, and if you feel like altering your goal will better do that, then that can be an option too. :)

Alrighty! As for myself, I didn't get much writing done this weekend - I blinked and somehow it's Sunday night already 8-} - but I did manage to sketch out a few scenes, and now I'm at 7,571 words. Which is kinda still on track for my goal, so I'll take it. :p

Happy writing, all! [:D]

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yay for the all the productivity.

@Raissa Baiard [face_laugh] that bites, but we'll love anything you post for sure!
    @Findswoman - it's a mixed blessing but if your busyness stems from work being more or less like normal that's something in these crazy times when most people don't know what their work schedule is going to be or if they're going to be virtual or what. :p

@Mira_Jade yay for anything that adds to your WIPs. =D=

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm currently sitting at 5031. Which I am shocked and amazed at. I think like many people, my ability to concentrate really took a hit this week, then yesterday when I was finally able to stop refreshing the news, my body was like "nope, I'm not even going to support you (literally) in sitting up." Today hasn't been so bad but I think I need to call it quits early this evening.