main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Jedi: Their Roles and Philosophies in Star Wars TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by The Chalk Jedi, Nov 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Now that we've had Ahsoka appear, and her identification of other Jedi, as well as Grogu's past history being linked to the PT Jedi, I think we should have a thread for discussing Jedi in the Mandalorian.

Obviously one thing to discuss is what Jedi, or Force users, should or shouldn't appear in the Mandalorian. But another interesting topic is what the status of the Jedi are during this time -- we seem to have Order 66 survivors, who can be considered "official" Jedi because they were actually part of the Order, but we also have those indirectly related to the Order in some sense, who have the abilities of Jedi and a similar value set, which may or may not diverge significantly.

The Mando and whatever shows connect with it take place around 5 ABY, which means Luke's Jedi Order won't take shape for about 10-15 years (he begins training Ben around 15 ABY, but he only begins taking on other students afterward, and perhaps not for a few years post 15 ABY). So there's a lot of freedom during this period in how "Jedi" might act or contribute to the Mando's plotting. We have allies like Ahsoka who don't believe it's safe to train Grogu, but others who may desire to, and not necessarily for good reasons: we may encounter grey Jedi or dark Jedi who want to use Grogu for their own reasons.

But one thing is clear -- Grogu's status as a Jedi youngling will not only attract the Empire and Sith, but other Force users with a potentially wide range of practices and beliefs. For example, what if someone begins to harass Mando regularly, attempting to steal Grogu to be their apprentice? The anti-Ahsoka.

Another topic is whether Luke Skywalker should have a role in the Mandalorian, or whether he brings too much baggage to the story. There is also the apparent plot problem of Luke being gone during this time, searching for Jedi texts. Of course, if Din and Grogu decide to research the Jedi on their own -- can Din "train" Grogu from Jedi texts? -- this may lead them directly into contact with Luke.

So what role do you see for the Jedi in the Mandalorian, and more generally, during the period and potential connecting shows in which Mando is set.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the jedi in some way will have a role in Mando and some of the spin offs like Ahsoka's. We know of two other jedi besides Ahsoka who are confirmed to be alive, Luke Skywalker and Ezra Bridger. Then we jedi who might still be around kicking that might appear. Cal Kestis, Quinland Vos, Oppo Rancis, Coleman Kjai and other order 66 survivors, we don't how many survived. I think we see Tython in the finale of this season and Grogu reaches out to any living jedi and with a cliffhanger of a jedi soon appearing in future seasons.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  3. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Or future series...

Always in motion is the future...

Boss Logic...

[​IMG]

And no, I don't think we'll ever see Luke in any form in The Mandalorian.

If the seeing stone is important to the story, and if no Jedi respond, this would be the next step.

I shudder at that thought, though.

*Dons cynic hat*

Because if past is prologue, Din can't read the text. They then have to go to three different planets to find "the thing" that translates the text. We meet a Jaxxon character along the way. And then they get to it. :cool:

I don't see much of any role for Jedi in The Mandalorian, they would overshadow him. I suppose you could have one travel with them, but that would be kind of odd, I think. And they would still overshadow him.

So if Grogu goes to a Jedi, then you have to do a different show.

Initially obviously Ahsoka is the one, in my view. But since they've set it up that it can be any Jedi, then a new one is perfectly fine by me. And I think it would be great if whomever it was that hid Grogu was a Jedi, and that Jedi was also one of his masters. And doing it that way you don't have to form a bond, it's already there.

And maybe have this Jedi be with other Jedi, and other younglings. And have them try and find Luke. You can do something like that.

Or yeah, you can leave Luke out of it because of baggage and movies and the like. Doing that though you have to have them be someplace for a period of time, so you have to come up with that.

Or have them go to Luke and then leave because they sense something; Kylo maybe, and do it before Ben to Kylo happens.

(Yeah, the Marvel comics, but whatever. How many people read that, about 32,000? So that's up to Disney: 73 million Disney+ subscribers, or 30-odd thousand comic readers?)

And a little more thought on this, I guess...

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think you can do jedi without over shadow the mandalorian like Ahsoka Tano did, who is now as popular as Anakin and Obi Wan. and I think Luke could show up but in later seasons when there's no need to over shadow Din anymore. And you don't set this up and not having a jedi come wether new or old. I think this show can connect like any movie can if they want to. They are slowly building their own little universe in this tv realm. I think this show can be as connected as Kenobi and Cassian will.

5. The Togruta Jedi

The Togruta Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 22, 2020
    For whatever is to come from former Padawan Tano’s appearance in the last episode any further appearance by her or any other “Jedi” ends to be done so in the advancement of Din Djarin story. If it comes to pass that in his travels across the galaxy with Grogu his path intertwines with them great (i.e Bo-Katan leads him to Corvus then Ashoka now Trython etc Gideon) Awesome!

But the featured character is Din Djarin and his journey is what’s important (that being said I think Bo-Katan, Ahsoka will be there at the climax battle versus Gideon)

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    This is a slow story that develops whith Din and Grogu, i think we won't see another jedi until season 3 or 4. Bu the idea of seeing more jedi characters is exciting. I think Din will slowly learn more about the jedi and the force and he'll meet other force sects.

7. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    If they do cross paths with Luke, I hope they de-age Hamill for the role so that it is the Luke Skywalker we know; apologies Sebastian Stan.

They could have Luke in black Jedi robes to hide the middle-age spread (as opposed to how he looked in ROTJ) and they could have Luke in "non-combat" scenes so that there is no reflection in age in terms of what Hamill is physically capable of doing - and I'm meaning no disrespect to Hamill here in saying this, but age is an unfortunate reality in respect of how old is character is and how old Hamill is. If combat was necessary, its just super-powerful Luke using the Force and not a lightsaber.

The only thing that Fav and Filoni will have to do creatively to the extreme is to explain why Luke would not train another being that looks like Yoda and the fact that Grogu would represent another one of a very limited number of people Luke would know that would be Force Sensitive.

Maybe, just maybe this time period and potential of meeting up with Luke could involve the first appearance of Snoke - in how Luke, Leia and Han could come to know who Snoke is. Then Snoke turns on them at some point, Grogu is presumed dead and Luke does give Snoke the scar on his head from his green lightsaber.

And Ben Solo would not be Luke's first student, but rather Luke's first student at his Jedi Temple.

Just more left field thinking.

8. Super upset fan

Super upset fan Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2020
    dont rule out baby yoda ends up being fostered by ahsoka. perhaps she is the one he reaches out.

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    That would be really pointless though. her telling him to do all that and being like ok fine i'l take him!

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Ahsoka is too busy with her story with Thrawn and Ezra.

11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Honestly? After I feel like the show's Jedi quest arc that dominated season two is going to come to a natural conclusion once they reach the "Seeing Stone" and Grogu gets to make his choice (which I am almost certain will involve him choosing Din), and after that The Mandalorian is going to start to transition into another direction for its core third season narrative.

The Chalk Jedi and darthzac14 like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Nah i think the jedi arc that was his mission from season one will continnue but it will develop slowly, he might visit other temples. I see more to it, i think this jedi arc will be one of the shows major arcs.

13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Jedi arc wasn't his mission throughout season one though; it was mentioned for the very first time in the season one finale and he began embarking on it in the season two premiere. Prior to that, season one was just spent with the two on the run and built up to them trying to clear the Imperial Remnant's presence out of Nevarro.

I'm not saying Jedi stuff will never be relevant again (it absolutely will be) but I think season three is going to transition to another new dominant storyline that will likely be set up in the season two finale.

DannyD, The Chalk Jedi and darthzac14 like this.
  14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I can see season 3 going another drection with hints of a jedi looking, and then in season 4 we get to return to the jedi arc with a jedi coming.

15. Super upset fan

Super upset fan Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2020
    once they made the kid biggest trait his skills with the force, its almost impossible to keep all the jedi/sith stuff permanently out of the story.

16. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I absolutely want to see more Jedi in this show... bring back Katarn from Legends or reveal another survivor from the Jedi purge. Just leave Luke out of it... he needs to be unobtainable during this time. Maybe he can appear at the end of the series finale but they should otherwise leave him out of it.

17. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Luke seems like the most likely out of the small field of surviving Jedi.

[​IMG]

A few others:
    Oppo (apparently still slithering around somewhere)
    [​IMG]

Cal & Cere
    [​IMG]

Ezra
    [​IMG]

Quinlan Vos

[​IMG]

18. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    "What is that....thing?"

19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t see why Luke should be left out of it. He could’ve trained Grogu while on his personal missions prior to establishing his temple. And then let Grogu go on an extended walkabout or something. Which reminds me that I think a formalized walkabout should be introduced into canon as a necessary part of Jedi training. You have to go out there into the world, by yourself, and learn for a stretch of time. Before becoming a Jedi (or before becoming a Jedi Master). Would open up the door for a lot of great stories, while also allowing for canon anomalies regarding missing Jedi, or Jedi who aren’t participating in the major conflicts, to be easily explained: they were on a walkabout.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With Grogu still being a toddler and not yet speaks, i can see if Luke Skywalker trained him, he also asigns him a care taker. Like lets says Luke sent him to aplace stong in the force to comunicate with master Yoda as he can't at Luke school as it seems no ones knows Luke can speak with the jedi of he past. I can see master Yoda at certain momments giving him guidance. Maybe Luke had a small camp on Tython for jedi to learn.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

This is what is known of Tython in both canon and legends along with it's long history of the jedi.

22. Ash_Satine

Ash_Satine Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2017
    Honestly, I think Grogu has another way in mind. All this talk is that he should be trained. I don't think that he really is interested in it. Maybe he connects to a Jedi next episode. But he could, in any form, be the translator for Grogu and simply tell, that the kid is happy with where he is. The show is too much about making decisions for themself. I would not be too surprised if it is Yoda's ghost who reaches out and tell Din for Grogu, that he is the one the kid belongs to. After all, so many bounty hunters where after Grogu, Din got him. In the mindset of the Jedi this is 'the force willed it'.

Personally I would find it strange if Din suddenly finds a couple of Jedi in that period of time. He can always stumble about force sensitives (young and old) but Jedi aka 'we know what we do'? No. And in the ways of the force Luke would be the ten year old who teaches his younger brother.

23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    There is somebody that we haven't considered
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    clone commander bossk likes this.
  24. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I don't think that they should avoid using Luke just because we know what happens to him.

For starters, he's one of the few remaining Jedi in the galaxy, and is supposed to be of renowned status due to his actions serving the Rebellion. Plus, if he's been traveling around searching for Jedi lore, they could write it to be that he was also looking for the Jedi temple on Tython, but wasn't able to find it for whatever reason, so Grogu using the seeing stone to reach out to other Jedi could be how he finally finds out where it is.

I also don't think that the baggage attached to him necessarily means that they should exclude him from the show even if they find an organic way for him to feature on it.
    That would be like if Rockstar didn't include John Marston in Red Dead Redemption II because the audience already knows that he ends up dying a horrible death in the future, blatantly ignoring the fact that he was a member of the Van Der Linde gang and thus straining suspension of disbelief.

Really, my only concern about his potential inclusion would be who would play him. Would the recast with a younger actor, use digital de-aging technology on Mark Hamill, or a combination of the two? The former would be the most attainable for a TV show, but the latter two options might be more easily accepted by the fans depending on how good it looks (personally, I'd be happy if it was of the same quality as The Irishman).

25. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I think Grogu will want to stay with Din. Ahsoka knows that, and sending him to Tython is part of some plan to help Din realize that they should stay together.

Regarding Cameos, I definitely don't think they should exclude Luke, but I also think that his story should be told in his own show. I do think it's a bit awkward how the current plot seems like it would naturally lead to Luke, but I doubt that they want to go that way. If they do have Luke on the show, it may be testing the waters for a live action series, but who knows?

Maybe controversial, but if a series ever features Luke's academy or his time spent in between the trilogies, they shouldn't be afraid to alter details a bit. I think Clone Wars contradicts the Ahsoka book and Mandalorian changes Aftermath, so there's precedent. Mainly I feel this way because all the details we have just seem so underwhelming and they're most likely that we because no one's been allowed to do that much with him.

whostheBossk and The Chalk Jedi like this.