main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Is R1 Your New Favorite?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, it’s main flaw is that it’s a home
    wrecker. It’s so good that it forced me to break up with ANH and ESB, my previous favorites.

2. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Eh, not for me. But sounds like a good problem to have.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    A lifetime of ESB being my favorite, and yes, actually, I think Rogue One now rates as a very respectable tie.

4. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I've said earlier, I cant do it, I just cant bump ANH and ESB in favor of this third SW (movie) masterpiece.

So, from now on Ill vote everything in a way that makes the three of them just 2 films...……..Rogue One: A New Hope (long movie but fabulous) and The Empire Strikes Back.

I'm happy with that.

And I actually really like that title - Star Wars Rogue One: A New Hope

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    As much as I love Rogue One, it just keeps falling short in surpassing ESB. It feels like it's been part of the saga from the very beginning, and flows so eloquently into A New Hope, but it just cannot top Empire. In my personal ranking, it's in a virtual three way tie for 2nd with A New Hope and The Last Jedi. At any given time, it depends on my mood as to which of them is actually second behind Empire.

6. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I wouldn't say that R1 is my absolute favorite...but its climactic big battle is certainly up there as a favorite, about on par with Endor. :)

RetropME, Sarge and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Given how Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars film since 1983, it's amazing I haven't had more avatars related to this film. As it is, I like the stories that take place between films. I adore R1 and TCW. Besides, I got a new Felicity Jones poster, which my Eponym helped me to put up, just as she helped me to put up my Ahsoka Tano poster in May...and thankfully, we did not fall off of my sofa when we did so. Lol. This was for my bedroom, and so it as a little easier.

MotivateR5D4 and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Still not my favorite, but I just rewatched it, and it made me happy. It's just such a wonderful movie.

9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I remember watching it once, and for whatever reason I stopped watching it as a Star Wars movie and saw it purely as a sci fi movie. And it just became all that much more amazing. I think I was stoned, and it was one of those things where you suddenly see something from a certain perspective that you never had before.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  10. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    It's certainly one of my favorite SW movies, but it can't top ESB for me. That said, Cassian Andor is the most charismatic SW guy since Han in ANH, so there's that. And Jyn kicks some serious butt.

11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Jyn would kick Rey's ass any day of the week.

12. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Brilliant movie!

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s the best Star Wars movie.

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My ninth favorite! Which is still solid like territory.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I also hesitated to unseat ANH and ESB with Rogue One. It was only after rewatching the OT a number of times that I realized that as much as I adore those films to death (and I do), they have some story and dialogue shortcomings - minor though they are - that I think Rogue One doesn’t have. And I’m a little older now, and respond less giddily to coming of age stories and more to stories about those later in life that decide to make a change (I know Jyn and Cassian are still pretty young, but they’re not coming of age with unformed identities - rather, they had solid identities that get challenged). And that’s how Rogue One moved ahead for me and became the best Star Wars film.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  16. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i agree i think R1 has the best of both worlds. i feel guilty sometimes as Vader is really the only legendary character in it and Williams not writing the score

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Rogue One is a film that I find myself appreciating and enjoying more with each rewatch. Currently it is my second favorite Star Wars movie, beaten only by The Empire Strikes Back. I feel that Rogue One improves the original trilogy, especially A New Hope, since seeing the sacrifices made by the characters to steal the plans for the Death Star makes the later victories of the Rebel Alliance more meaningful. The last few minutes of the film are some of my favorite in all of Star Wars and not just because of the Darth Vader hallway scene. For me, the shot of Cassian and Jyn embracing each other in their final moments is just as iconic. The Battle of Scarif is also my favorite space battle in the franchise. There is more I love about the film as well: its ties to the prequels, its themes of hope and sacrifice, its characters (all which have grown on me even more on the years), etc. Rogue One embodies so much of what I love about Star Wars both old and new. I always get a delight out of seeing Rogue One elements appear elsewhere in the canon.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
  20. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    LOL. After reading this brilliant post I had to look at the name of the person who posted it.....as I thought, wow, when did I write that [face_laugh]

Its exactly how I feel.

21. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    These responses to my post remind me of another reason why I love Rogue One. I personally feel like the fanbase is a lot less decisive when it comes to Rogue One. Yes, there are people who don't like the film. But as someone who has witnessed how the fandom has changed over the last five years, Rogue One seems to be the film that fans tend to get behind the most. I think the biggest reason is because Rogue One doesn't undo the achievements of the heroes in the original trilogy, unlike the sequel trilogy (which is a very valid reason to not like those films even if I personally love The Last Jedi) but it still has the scale and stakes of a film in the main series. Out of the five new Star Wars films, I find Rogue One to be the easiest to talk with other fans about and something that can unite fans is not to be taken for granted. It does help that Rogue One can appeal to different groups of fans, with references to both the prequels and the original trilogy. It also uses a character introduced in The Clone Wars, which still means a lot to me because of how much of an impact that show had on me as a Star Wars fan. Rogue One is not only fun to watch, but it's fun to talk about. And I personally cannot wait for the Andor series, which I have been looking forward to ever since it was announced.

22. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Well said Sir, again. And after Ahoska, Andor is the show Im looking forward to most of all.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
  24. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    This video from a channel that I'm subscribed to just came out and it explains some of the big reasons why this is my second favorite Star Wars movie, just putting it to words better than I could.

25. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    I was going to say more here, but I can't really add a lot to what @CosmoHender has said. To answer the original question, no. It holds the number 3 spot behind SW and TESB. If I'm as objective as I can be, though, it's probably only nostalgia keeping it like that. Either way, R1, along with The Mandalorian, reinvigorated my almost life-long love of Star Wars. Absolutely top-notch film.

KaleeshFett, darthfettus2015 and EHT like this.