main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.06 - Chapter 14 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 2, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 11, 2020.
  1. 10

31.9%
  2. 9

26.3%
  3. 8

21.3%
  4. 7

11.3%
  5. 6

5.0%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If it’s somehow Ashoka who comes back and works with Boba it would be kind of interesting to think he’d worked with them both.
    [​IMG]

RetropME likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We didn’t have enough time to expanded on that. I am sure he’ll get some character development in the next two episodes

3. dsjericho

dsjericho Jedi Knight

Mar 2, 2016
    Tython was a bit of a letdown for me but they're not going to be spending any more time there, apparently so ... fine. No biggie. I like how Din would chuckle after Grogu responded to his name; it's such a silly little simple thing but, I admit, I'd do it too.

Super random thing: It tickled me when Din referred to Ahsoka as "the nice lady."

4. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Boba Fett should have remained a secondary villain, that's what he always was. All these people helping Din and Grogu make it feel like there is 1 bad guy in the whole galaxy - Gideon...and that's it!

The Senate likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am so glad that Boba isn’t a bad guy. That would have been the most uninspired choice ever.

cathiecat, mnjedi, IG_2000 and 3 others like this.
  6. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    What??? He WAS a bad guy in TESB/ROTJ. And everyone craved his return. I agree, he should have stayed bad.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  7. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    I just want him consistent to what we have been shown. The alternative is another character becoming BFF and making a deal with Din "If you do this, I'll do that" ...to me that's uninspired. I do get what you are saying because it would have been treading the same ground for Gideon to hire Boba Fett to track the Razor crest, but that's who he always was!

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I disagree he was a man hired to do the job nothing in TESB had him as a villian just a man doing his job

9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That unpublished TCW arc would have really changed our perspective on his character I think.

10. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    Not sure why but people seem to be forgetting that Din is a bounty hunter and is *not* a "good" guy. No reason to think that Boba Fett was a "bad" guy either. Other than the Mandalorian/Not Mandalorian concern for Din, he and Boba are in the same trade and both are really good at it so they have a whole lot in common.

11. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    If he was staying true to character.....which really is a bad guy in the original trilogy.....he would have been after the kid himself to receive a bounty.

Intergalactic Lawman likes this.
  12. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    If Din was staying true to himself from the first episode, he'd not have gone back for the kid, being a bad boy bounty hunter. Unless people can be more then one thing, for some reason.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes your correct but he isn’t a bad guy he is more complicated than bad or good as any good character should be

mind you. You can have interesting characters who are basically entirely bad or good. Look at Breaking Bad. I would argue that by the end Walter wasn’t morally grey. He was basically purely evil with only maybe a tiny bit of good in him.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Perhaps Fennec has some sway on the decision to help rather than collect the bounty on Grogu. She may be aware that Din had nothing to do with the betrayal on Tatooine and feels some sense of honor/obligation toward him. She does mention the size of the bounty on the Child but does not seem swayed by it.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    What did Din mean by saying "I owe you" to Fennec... Anyone?

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I actually don’t know on that one

17. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Fennec was willing to "come in warm" as Din puts as far as bounties go but died in captivity because Din was sloppy in his selection of partners. Goes against his code I suppose.

18. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think I saw one of the spy kids films, it was many years ago but I remember liking it. Otherwise I’m not familiar with any of those films

19. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Finally got to watch the episode, not bad but not great either, just meh. Fett was cool as well as slave 1. Dark troopers looked really fake cgish, and really did nothing, was hoping for action with them. Also starting to think beskar is too strong.gideon still is very one subpar note to me and storm troopers literally pose zero threat. Overall 6/10

20. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    As a bounty hunter, Din has an obligation to keep prisoners in his care safe. However, he made a poor choice trusting his partner Toro, and Fennec paid the price.

So Din owes her.

Edit: How I love the ignore feature!

21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I will say that, at this point, I feel like the best way to give a hardcore deviation between Dark Troopers and both droid and stormie predecessors they have would be to make it clear they outclass Din entirely, and have him survive his confrontation with them only because Gideon wants his duel.
    The little we saw had Boba pretty clearly set-up more as a Man with No Name-level anti-hero in comparison to Cad Bane's Angel Eyes-style desperado; someone who would genuinely be the kind of ruthless, sometimes petty mercenary that would be the main villain in an episode of Gunsmoke, but has just enough respectable professionalism and honor to be a protagonist when facing off with a worse character.

darkspine10 and RetropME like this.
  22. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I did love the opening scene between mando and the child, and the hand to stormtrooper face was awesome.

23. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I thought the episode was a dream come true. Loved how the armor-less Boba Fett had a fighting style all his own, which basically opened up an entirely new set of options for the character. We've seen him as a boy, but we'd never seen him before even remotely like this, without his armor or any of his myriad of weapons. And then when he put his original armor back on and started kicking stormtrooper ass all over the place, I realized, wow, we'd really never even seen him in action like this before, other than the very limited moments of him in the sail barge scene, most of which were great at the time, but pale in comparison to anything like we saw in this episode.

As for Boba being a good guy, I don't know if he qualifies as that here. Yes, he showed respect and honor for Din, but Din is a Mandalorian, so that makes him a special case. Boba Fett was never the kind of villain who would unnecessarily hurt someone. He just did what he had to do when it came to work, and he was ruthless about that. Didn't matter why there was a bounty on you, he was a bounty hunter and morals had nothing to do with it. I suspect he is still like that now.

As for which Jedi Grogu is calling out to in the temple, there is only one character who blows the roof off the joint in the way Disney should want...

Luke.

Do I think it will happen? Wouldn't bet on it. Probably an over-reach. But it would make for a hell of a finale.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  24. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Another great episode! This season has been spectacular - almost every episode has been jaw dropping in one way or another.

Boba Fett was awesome in this! I've been a Boba fan for a long time, so it was really cool to see him in action again. He was a walking tank. Ever since his appearance in first episode, I've been speculating about what his character would be post-Sarlacc. It turns out he's pretty much the same character as the pre-Sarlacc Boba Fett and I'm cool with that. He owes allegiance to no one and he wants his armour back, presumably to do some more bounty hunting. I'm glad that he doesn't appear to be a straight up antagonist - at least for now.

It was really unexpected that Mando and Grogu would reach Tython and do the seeing stone ritual in this episode. I really thought that would have been the finale - and it might still be. Grogu's choice and whether or not a Jedi made contact with him is still up in the air. I was legitimately anxious when the dark troopers arrived and made off with Grogu. I love how attached I have gotten to these characters. It's been a while since I cared this much about new characters in Star Wars.

And speaking of dark troopers... how cool to see them lifted straight from the EU! It raises a geeky question though... How do these relate, if at all, to the Imperial Sentry Droids we saw in Rebels?

Also, I'm glad we're getting more of Mayfeld. I seem to be in the minority, but I really liked "The Prisoner" from Season 1. Mayfeld and his crew were fun characters.

I'm excited that we're heading into the season finale, but also a little sad that once it's over we'll all be Mando-less for a while...

25. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    Grogu called Anakins ghost to thank him for not slaughtering him like the rest of the younglings.