main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The 14th Annual Non-Denominational Winter Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange! ~ Questions from Mav

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 2, 2020.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Here we are nearing the end of 2020, and what a long 5 years has it been. Most everyone has had a change in their lifestyle, many of us major changes that will probably continue for some time. So let’s spread around some happiness and fun with…

The 14th Annual Non-Denominational Winter (for some of us) Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange!

[​IMG]

The rules have changed this year, so please make sure to read them!

Back when this challenge started we had three groupings of stories: Before the Saga, The Saga, and Beyond the Saga. There were plenty of people who read and wrote in all of these eras. Then Disney threw out the old EU (now Legends), added a new Expanded Universe, a new trilogy, new TV shows, and the list keeps growing. (You all know this, why am I telling you??) What this means for the fic-gift exchange means it gets harder and harder every year to give your requests to people who want to write them because there’s just soooo much source material and not everyone has consumed it all. And let’s face it, it’s been a hard year and I know many people’s muses have taken a hit. So this year we’re going to try something a bit different and see how it works.

Wish lists!

How to participate:

PM mavjade with the following:

1. What era(s) for which you are willing to write - based on the era tags list
    - Please let me know what your preferred Saga (PT, OT, ST) era is/are -the reason will be clear below-
    -Please include, if any, TV shows you are will to write for as well
    -If there is a character or a source material you really don’t want to write, let me know and I’ll do my best to avoid it.​

2. Up to 3 wishes- story ideas you’d love for someone to write for you
    - One of them MUST be PT, OT, or ST movie based not requiring having seen or read any other material
    - You should give an indication where each story should belong timeline wise. If you don’t state one, the author gets to choose.
    - Your wishes can be as detailed as you’d like but please keep it reasonable. Too much detail will make it harder to write. (If you’d like to stick to the previous, three things I want, one thing I don’t format for each wish, that is fine)
    - If you would like to let me know which wish you'd most like, I'll use that to try and pair you with someone who said they'd be willing to write that type/era of story.​

I’ll match your wishes with what people would like to write to the best of my abilities and send your wishes to someone else. Your Secret Author will then choose one of your wishes to write and post.

To make it more fun, let’s write a letter to our Secret Author (you really don’t have to do that if you don’t want to, but I thought it might be fun!)

Example PM:

[​IMG]

Dates:

Submit Your Fic-gift wishes by: 10:00 am PST, Saturday, December 12th

Fic-Gifts must be posted by: 11:59pm PST Sunday, January 17th

Other Rules/Info:

• In the title bar of your story, please put in the title bar “Fic-Gift for ___” and then put a link and for whom the fic-gift is here in this thread. It’s also fine to tag the person (@AUser_Name_Here) in the thread

• Please post the story in it’s own thread. This is so the person can easily find the story and it’s more like a gift for them and not just a story you wrote. You may link to it in a short story thread if you have one, the prolific writers thread, or post it anywhere else you post your fanfics.

• There is no minimum word count, but please remember this is something people have wished for. Even if you can get all of their request into a mini-story, maybe take your time and try to add more.

• If you realize you aren’t going to be able to write your story, no worries! But please let me know as soon as possible so I can find someone else to write it. I don’t want anyone left out.

• On that note, I can always use pinch-writers to write stories others aren’t going to be able to do. Let me know if you are will to write another story, it really helps out a lot.
    • Because this is suppose to be a secret until the story is posted, if you have any questions about the wishes, please PM me and I'll ask the requester and get back to you.

Non-Star Wars FanFic:

If you would like to participate in the NSWFF Fic-gift exchange post in this thread what fandoms you are willing to participate in. If there is someone else who is willing to write in that fandom, they should reply to you that they are willing to do that exchange. Then via PM you two can either use the above SW exchange format or the previous “3 things I want, 1 thing I don’t want” format of Fic-gift exchange past.

Please link your Non-Star Wars Fic-gifts here in the thread as you would for the SW Fic-Gifts.

I can’t guarantee everyone who wants a NSWFF fic-gift will get one because I can’t know what fandoms will be picked. But I think most everyone has gotten at least one NSWFF story the past few years.

Example:

Luuke42 posts that he’d be willing to write for Star Trek, NCIS, Stranger Things, or LOTR

HanDamn quotes or replies to Luuke42 saying he’s willing to do a Star Trek exchange

Via PM the two of them decide which format they’d like to use and exchange requests

They then follow the same posting/deadlines schedule for the main exchange​

[​IMG]

FAQ:

Do I have to submit 3 wishes?

No, you don't have to but at least 2 that way the author gets to pick what hits them best. My hopes that three makes it easier for the author to write one of them.

What does “reasonable” mean with regards to the wishes?

I’m not going to put a hard line on it with this format, but just remember this isn’t the dare challenge. You want someone to be able to write the story you’ve wished for. You may include characters, themes, specific plot ideas and things you don’t want with your wishes. If I think your wishes are too hard, I may PM you back and ask that you adjust them.

One of them HAS to be a movie request??

Yes. I know this might not be ideal for everyone but because it’s gotten so hard to match people up with stories they are willing to write, we need a common ground. I can be reasonably sure that everyone has seen the movies or are at least familiar enough that they could write for it. The other material, I can’t be sure of which is what makes it so hard.

Are you still going to try and match people with like interests?

I will! As always, if you tell me you’d like to write for The Mandalorian and I have a wish that is Manolorian related, I’ll match it up! I just can’t guarantee that will happen since it just depends on what people tell me and how many of each type of wish I get. If you let me know your top wish, that's what I'll use to try and match you, but I can't promise.

Do my wishes need to be holiday related?

Nope! This is what you want, so it only needs to be holiday related if you want it to be.

Can my wishes have my original characters?

I’m going to allow this again this year with a few stipulations: You must have three wishes, only one of your wishes can have an OC, and the mandatory movie wish can’t be it. If you have more than one movie based request, one of them can have OCs requested. I’m so hard on OCs because it’s hard on the writer if they are unfamiliar with your OCs and it involves a lot of work on their part. This way, at least they have the choice.

Can I request characters from the Non-Star Wars Fandoms?

For the main Star Wars exchange, please don’t request a character or story line from a fandom outside of Star Wars. There are so many fandoms out there and it’s hard to know who knows which fandom and it wouldn’t be fair to make someone do that much research.

Can I do both the Star Wars and NSWFF exchange?

Yes, you may do both exchanges, and more than one exchange in NSWFF, but please do not volunteer to do more than you can reasonably deliver by the deadline.

I missed the deadline to submit my wishes, can I still participate?

Sorry, not in the SW fic-gift exchange. I’ve tried to do this in the past and it just made things way too complicated. If you would like to do a NSWFF exchange, you could do so. If you are in the giving mood, you could also volunteer to pinch-write, but I can’t say you’ll for sure get a story back.

Can I write a multi-chapter fic?

Sure! But please make sure to include the elements requested before the deadline.

Can I write all three (or two) of the wishes?

Sure! Those could all go in the same thread if you would like since they all would be for the same person. If you’ve got that much muse, I’d love it if you volunteer to pinch write as well!

I wasn’t able to finish my story on time and someone else wrote the wish. But I worked so hard on this story and I ended up finishing it, can I post it?

Sure! Feel free to still post it in this thread and wherever you’d usually post it. I’m sure the person would love to have your story to read!

- -

I know that's a lot! But hopefully it will still be fun for everyone and maybe a bit easier for everyone! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread or via PM. I hope everyone and their loved ones are safe and well over the crazy year and I hope you have a happy holiday in whatever you may celebrate!

~mavjade

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Story Index

Star Wars

Jaina Being Decisive |Legends| by WarmNyotaSweetAyesha for brodiew
    Gifts of the Sages or Storytime with Younglings |Saga-PT| by devilinthedetails for Raissa Baiard
    Jedi Is as Jedi Does |Saga-ST| by Findswoman for TheRynJedi
    Not a Ghost of a Chance | Beyond-Legends| by brodiew for Nehru_Amidala
    Rat, Cat, and Wolf: A Legend of Lothal |Saga-OT| by Raissa Baiard for Seldes_Katne
    DroidSong |Saga-ST| by Seldes_Katne for Findswoman
    Final Mission |Saga-OT| by Seldes_Katne for Findswoman
    Will You Still Love Me When I'm Sixty-Four | Saga-PT| by Nehru_Amidala for devilinthedetails
    Friends to the End |Saga| by TheRynJedi for WarmNyotaSweetAyesha

Non-Star Wars FanFic
    [The West Wing] What to Expect When Your Surrogate is Expecting by Briannakin for mavjade

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] This must be some kind of record ;) PM sent.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I think it might be!! Especially since I threw a little curve ball in there!

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    (Takes a deep breath.)

All righty doo.

I can do this.

Request sent! :)

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    So excited for this festive event[face_dancing]

Submitted my signup PM with a Secret Author letter enclosed.

I also am up for a non Star Wars exchange if anyone is interested. I could write for the Harry Potter, Narnia, or Avatar Last Airbender fandoms if that would work for anybody. Just shoot me a PM if that sounds cool to you.

7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Let me think up something!

8. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Wishes, etc. sent!

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Here we go again. PM sent!

10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just a reminder that if you want to participate in the Star Wars exchange, your wishes must be in by 10am PST on December 12th.

The NSWFF exchange is ongoing and you can post for that at any time.

11. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Okay, I'm about to start sending out the wishes and I'll let you guys know when I've completed it.

I'm not entirely sure if having the three wishes made it easier or harder to match up, but hopefully it makes it easier to write. My main focus was to make sure the authors had at least two of the wishes on their willing to write list (meaning some people have a wish that might not be in their wheelhouse). If you told me one of your wishes was the one you really wanted to match with someone that was willing to write that, I did my best. There were several times when I had a wish I really wanted to give it to someone to write because I thought they'd love it, but I needed that person to write something else because they were the only one (or one of two) willing to write something else. I did the match ups 4 different times, trying to get it right!

tl;dr: It was really hard, hopefully everyone gets something they are happy to write for someone else!

13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Looking forward to seeing what I get! Thanks for all the hard work you put into this @mavjade [:D]

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    The drum roll begins! :D Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Thanks as always, Mav—looking forward to this. :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  15. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Looking forward to this

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    This is a unique way to do the fic-gift for sure. I eagerly await the great reads [face_party]

17. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    All of the wishes have been sent out! If for some reason you didn't get yours, please let me know!

18. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I really like the requests I got.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  20. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Me three! You never know there may be more than one. :D

21. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ Didn't know you were a Neil Gaiman afficiando!

22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks for hosting this, @mavjade!

Excited to start writing my story for my fic-gift recipient. Hopefully I can come up with something cute and fun.

Also eager to see the other fix-gifts as they are posted.

What a wonderful event to end 2020 and start 2021[face_party]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  23. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Hmm, the first plot idea that came to mind for one of my person's wishes is a kind of sad story. Going to try brainstorming one of the other wishes for a bit longer for something happier, but, uh, yeah, it might end up being the sad one .

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    If that wish happens to be mine (and you don’t have to share that, of course), then I will say that I don’t mind that at all—in fact, I have been known to enjoy a good sad story, so feel free to have at it. @};-

25. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    If it should happen to be mine, please don't do sad. This year has been horrible and I am already struggling with depression.