main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Fic-ception: A Fanfic of a Fanfic Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 19, 2020.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Fic-ception: a FanFic of a FanFic Challenge

Have you ever read a fanfic and thought to yourself, I love this story! I love how they did this one thing that was amazing! I wonder what would happen if this other thing happened instead?

Yeah, that’s kinda vague, but I think we’ve all read stories that affect our head canon, that transforms the way we think of a plot line, or we just can’t stop thinking about it and want to know more. Have you ever wanted to write a fanfic of that fanfic? Well now’s your chance!

You could write an AU of your favorite AU! You could change one little detail of a story that has massive consequences. You can take a headcanon idea and run with it. Basically, whatever you’d do with a book, movie, or TV show fanfic, you’d do with another fanfic.

There are some pretty strict rules with this one, so please read carefully!

[​IMG]
    Rules/How To Participate:

1. If the story is posted here on the JCF you MUST have permission from the original author to write a Fic-ception of their story. (See FAQ for possible questions on this rule.)

2. You MUST put the original fanfic title, author, and link to the story at the top of your story

3. When you post a link to your story in this thread, please include the title and author of the fanfic you are fic-ceptioning.

4. This should not be a “I didn’t like this ending/way this story went” type fanfic. This should be a case where you love something so much you want to write a fanfic of it. We’re celebrating other fanfic authors with our own fanfic.

5. Please limit how much you are taking word for word from the original fanfic. If you want to post a small section at the top to give some reference that is fine, but it needs to be clear those are the other author's words (so for example, put the whole section in italics and then at the end put the title and author of the original fic). In your own story, it shouldn't be more than a few sentences at most. See example under the spoiler:
    This is the section I'm taking from another authors story to give some background so that my story makes sense. It can be a sentence or a pharagraph, it just needs to clearly show it's not my writing which is why it's in italics. - The Story Rules by anotherauthor

- - - <- Some kind of page break

This is where my story would begin.

This is open to Star Wars and Non-Star Wars Fanfiction

Challenge Length: In order to give you time to think, ask permission and write, you'll have 10 weeks + a few days. Challenge ends: December 31st

FAQ:
    The story I want to write a fic-ception for is old and the author isn’t around any longer/ I don't get an answer from the author, can I still write the story?

It depends, we’ll take this on a case by case basis. Please PM the mods with a link to the story you want to use as your inspiration.

Can I use a fic that isn’t posted on the boards?

Yes, but the polite thing to do is to still ask permission. We obviously can’t really investigate things off the boards so if an author should contact us and say they didn’t give permission and don’t want the story to remain, your story will be removed immediately. *Note: any story you link to must follow the board rules, so the story, even though it’s off boards, must be compliant with our rules.

Can I use someone’s OCs?

This is part of the permission. If someone gives you permission to make a fanfic of their fanfic, the use of OCs is understood, unless they specifically ask you not to use them.

What if they say no?

Then sorry, you’ll have to pick a different story to use as your inspiration. Some people may want to hear your idea or read a draft before they say yes or no, it’s up to you if you are willing to do that or not.

2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Index of Stories

3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I’m weirdly excited about this...even though I have like 40 000 other things I have to get done too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    This is great! [face_party]

I've actually been thinking about doing a fanfic of a fanfic, but I wasn't sure if I could link to the original story that is only posted offsite.

5. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I think this is a really cool challenge idea: a fanfic of a fanfic! And it really is a wonderful opportunity to showcase the community spirit of fanfic, which I always love and celebrate.

In the interest of that community spirit, I would like to mention that I generally give a blanket permission across all the platforms where I post my fanfic for other fanfic writers to use ideas, characters, plots, settings (etc.) from my fanfic--to basically in the phrasing of this challenge--make fanfic of my fanfic or to write stories in any way inspired by mine as long as they make an author's note crediting me and the original story plus leaving a link to the original story if possible. I don't think I've mentioned that here before, but I figured this was a great time to say that. So, if you would like to write fanfic of my fanfic for this challenge or for any other reason later on down the line, you can take this as a general permission to do so with the conditions I outlined:)

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I am still super excited about this, but I think there is a slight sense of apprehension about getting someone else's world wrong...which is strange but it is, at least for me, a genuine moment of concern.

So like @devilinthedetails I'd like to say that if anyone would like to use character/situation/pets from my stuff, please feel free. You can't get it wrong really. I think I've spent so many years writing in a round robin situation that it doesn't bother me if anyone would like to use my characters as often it ends up being another jumping point for my muse.

OooooHHHHHHH Double fic-ception!!!!

7. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I'll follow the users above and say if anyone wants to use anything I've written, they are welcome. That would make my day and I'd be really excited to see what happens! :D

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I have a question. I want to do a fic-ception of one or the other fine WIPs that the author has either given up on or hasn't felt inspired for in a long time. I was thinking of maybe not necessarily changing something as expanding the current situation and then writing a what-happens-next kind of thing. [face_thinking]

Mira_Jade , Tarsier and Findswoman like this.
  9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Wouldn’t this be like doing speculation fic of an unfinished series? You could always ask the author if they’d feel comfortable with it.

Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm so sorry, I'm not sure how I missed your question.
    Yes, you could absolutely do this if the author allows it. If they haven't been around in awhile then please PM the mods the link to the story and we'll discuss it.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    AzureAngel2, Ewok Poet, Kit' and 6 others like this.
  12. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    This challenge seems to have just faded away, any chance it could be refreshed with a new deadline? Maybe the end of summer? [face_batting]

I'm still excited about it, even though I didn't get my act together before the deadline.

Maybe Evil Author Day provided some inspiration to someone?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Please. Please. Please. Me want. Please.