main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Acolyte Official “The Acolyte” Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 22, 2020.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh! Yes he did Hugo Demask although I probably spelt it wrong

DannyD likes this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Thanks. :) Maybe he'll get a mention in this series, even if the story told isn't about him. That seems the way of things at the mo.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It’s Hego Damask. :-B

DannyD and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was close

DannyD likes this.
  5. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I loved the Darth Plagueis novel, but if I never hear the name Hego Damask again, it’ll be too soon. I don’t really dislike the name so much, but I’m not a fan. I also hope they do something different from what the novel did, mainly because we already got the novel almost a decade ago.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Boy, two letters out, things are getting strict round here!!!

:p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. SaucySarlaac

SaucySarlaac Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I have a theory.

“Always two there are, no more, no less”.

I think Yoda / the Jedi will learn this in this series as the Acolyte is either the Sith Apprentice who is discovered or a true acolyte or servant working for the Sith who is discovered by the Jedi to have had dealings with the Hidden Sith. This knowledge is then kept by the Jedi council who realise that they are being secretly undermined by the fermenting Dark Side and start to pay attention to this. I never felt the Sith’s alleged return was common knowledge for average Jedi. Seems like it was something the Jedi council kept to itself. To it’s eventual peril.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That wouldn’t work. As people like Mundi who was on the council was not aware

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And do not forget 11-4D. The true hero of the Plagueis story.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Every story needs a snarky droid

11. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    It also goes a bit against what post-Legends stories have been trying to set up, which matches closely to Lucas’s ideas and is not at all like the EU’s retcon.

The idea is that the Sith practically always operated in pairs, even when there was more than one master and apprentice. It parallels the Jedi’s teaching system, and showcases how a society of dark siders could not actually exist. So the rule of two should be much older than something the Jedi discovered a few decades or centuries before TPM.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    We already know thanks to TCW that Bane created the rule of two around 1,000 years before TPM and somehow between that and TPM the Jedi found out. My guess is that either the Jedi killed bane or his apprentice in canon and thought the other in the pair was already dead so that’s how they found it. All we know is that they figure that out eventually, but I don’t think finding out about the rule of 2 will be what the show is about.

13. Teo9969

Teo9969 Jedi Padawan

Nov 27, 2020
    One thing I never understood about the Rule of 2 in the era of the Modern Republic, is that logic dictates that there wouldn't likely be just 2 Sith at any time, but rather, only Sith in pairs, i.e. there could be a numerous pairs. This outright occurs in TCW when you have Maul/Oppress and Palpatine/Dooku at the same time. I would assume there are various other pairs throughout the galaxy, just none obviously as strong and well positioned as Palpatine and his apprentice.

So I think it would be as simple as the Jedi having learned from a lesser couple at some point after the rule of 2 is created. The scene in TPM where they say the Sith have been extinct for a millennium and that they could not have returned without the Jedi knowing should just be discarded from canon.

Vader Bob likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No what happened with Maul/Savage and Dooku/Sidious is not supposed to be common as far as I can tell. What is supposed to happen is this

Darth bane starts the rule of 2. Bane finds an apprentice

Bane/Apprentice
    Apprentice finds an apprentice
    Apprentice 1/Apprentice 2 etc until we get to Plaguise/Sidious
    Sidious/ Maul
    Dooku/Sidious
    Deviation of Maul/Opress
    Vader/Sidious

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing something like that. Not that it actually works with Lucas' movies either in the text of TPM itself:

KI-ADI: Impossible! The Sith have been extinct for a millenium.
    MACE WINDU: I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing.
    YODA: Ah, hard to see, the dark side is.

or in the actual backstory of the Sith that Lucas had in mind but only ever gave hints of within the movies and TCW:

Everybody said, “Oh, well, there was a war between the Jedi and the Sith.” Well, that never happened. That’s just made up by fans or somebody. What really happened is, the Sith ruled the universe for a while, 2,000 years ago. Each Sith has an apprentice, but the problem was, each Sith Lord got to be powerful. And the Sith Lords would try to kill each other because they all wanted to be the most powerful. So in the end they killed each other off, and there wasn’t anything left. So the idea is that when you have a Sith Lord, and he has an apprentice, the apprentice is always trying to recruit somebody to join him — because he’s not strong enough, usually — so that he can kill his master.

That’s why I call it a Rule of Two — there’s only two Sith Lords. There can’t be any more because they kill each other. They’re not smart enough to realize that if they do that, they’re going to wipe themselves out. Which is exactly what they did.

That is the EU version where Bane is the one who creates the Rule of Two a thousand years before TPM after the Sith have been destroyed and he goes into hiding. This makes no sense because if they have been in hiding and the Rule of Two was adopted in secret then the Jedi would have to find out about it later on during the time they believe them to be extinct! Even if they found out about it then why would they believe in it to such a degree as "Always two there are.... no more... no less."

The Lucas version is that Bane was two thousand years before TPM. The Sith ruling the galaxy was short lived as they all turned on each other. Bane's Rule of Two Sith then were around causing trouble for another thousand years before disappearing from the galactic stage. The reason why the Jedi were so certain of there being two is because they know that is the only way the Sith could survive. If there was more than two at any point then the two weaker ones would team up on the strongest. It's no wonder they thought they were extinct. It's not exactly a harmonious set-up for long-term survival of the Sith. If they did survive then it was only going to be as two. Anymore than that would just end up as before with complete devastation.

I'd hope it'd be completely adhered to and expanded on because it's one of the keys to the entire story of Star Wars. The point is that the Sith have been gone from the galactic stage for a thousand years. The Jedi have no idea they exist anymore and can't see them returning without their knowledge. This is key to everything that leads to Sidious taking over culminating from the plan that goes back at least as far as Plagueis.

If anything what should be touched on is how they are able to become more and more active yet keep themselves hidden for the long haul plan that must have been set up for over a hundred years or more before TPM.

16. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Indeed! And if you’ve kept up with the concept art for Exegol that’s been released recently, it does seem like they are opting to stick to an interpretation of the Rule of Two closer to what Lucas intended, which is that it was indeed the primary way in which the Sith have existed throughout their history.

For Lucas the Sith were born about 2,000 years before the films, existed in great numbers as pairs of masters and apprentices, each with their own domain of space, and ended up killing each other off after about a century of warfare. Then the Republic was born and took over, with Darth Bane and his apprentice surviving in secret.

The timeline is a bit wonky, as is natural for Lucas, but it explains why the Jedi would have some familiarity with the idea of there being only two Jedi. The one issue is the reference in TCW to Bane saying he made it a rule that there should be no more Sith. And of course, to Yoda knowing about Darth Bane.

My head canon is that toward the end of the Sith wars, Bane broadcast a galactic warning, not unlike Palpatine’s in TROS, declaring that only two Sith would exist, and so telling the other surviving Sith that he was going to kill them. He succeeded, but the Jedi and the Republic used the opportunity to wipe him out. I also like to think they were able to do so because Bane’s apprentice betrayed him. But of course, the Sith survived somehow, possibly via another apprentice Bane had, which fits with how Sidious would later operate.

That last paragraph is just how I see it, though. But I do think the idea of Sith pairs makes more sense with Lucas’s view of them, especially as revealed in his recent interviews in the Star Wars Archives book for the prequels. And canon hasn’t technically gone against this, though they did make the Sith much older and their conflicts into more overt wars against the Republic and the Jedi rather than against one another.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    It's already established in canon that there can be acolytes, inquisitors, and dark jedi who are not Sith but otherwise check the same boxes except (arguably) power level. This show could easily be about one of them. This would also allow the Jedi to learn of the "acolyte" without them knowing about the return of the Sith.

wobbits and DarthFixxxer like this.
  18. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Exactly, and the Rule of Two applies to the Sith, aka the ones who take up on the term Darth too.

Savage Oppress was not a Sith. He was a puppet. The same goes for Asajj Ventress.

Both were vetted though to become Sith eventually, if Dooku for example were to kill Sidious (though Dooku was the one Sith who didn't care for that)

And Maul was not Darth Maul after TPM. He was an ex-Darth. So he doesn't count either as part of the plan anymore.

wobbits and RetropME like this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s great. But TCW is canon. It’s not EU so Bane making the rule of 2 a thousand years before TPM is what happens on canon

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Hego Damask? It’s very Star Wars and connects to Vader. It’s subtextual. Like Lando, who lives in the clouds. Quite like the deviation from the moniker Master to ‘Magister’ which gives his character a magisterial gravitas. A domineering authority figure, giving a quality important to a character responsible for Palpatine/Sidious and the state of affairs during the fall of the Old Republic.

From reading your post one might ask ‘why the novel needs an update?’ Unless some of the details on Maul’s origins, which are quite minor, is what you have in mind. The larger thematic and the allegorical aspects of the novel are as relevant today as ever.

One might understand the objection of elements, like vivisection, Sith’ari or midichlorians vs maxichlorians; but these concepts are part of the Star Wars source material. Like the H.G. Wells classic, The Island of Doctor Moreau. It’s part and parcel a derivation on classic sci-if, following that tradition.

The world building is familiar, too, and reminiscent of the real world, social science and anthropological background Lucas always infused into the AGFFA. The novel provides the most extensive and expository history of the Old Republic and the dark side, which one might argue, is one reason for its popularity.

There’s a lot going on there for sure, and one might agree there’s too much. But I wouldn’t. And, yes, 11-4D is a classic character who must have its day on the screen, large or small.

21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I bought Darth Plagueis back in the day simply out of curiosity.

I was blown away. It is a truly magnificent story. And the worldbuilding is top quality.

It also fleshes out Palpatine even better, which is always a great thing.

22. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I’m not saying the novel needs updates. What I meant is we already got that story, we don’t need it to be retold in live action or adapted in any way. They should leave the book be what it was and give is a new artist’s take on it.

We have a new canon now, so it’d be potentially more rewarding to get a new take on Plagueis and that whole era. We need new stories, not the stories we already have. Though I know Disney is a fan of recycling.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Riv_Shiel and cwustudent like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The potential for Star Wars's greatest ever story is imminent now that the High Republic promotional campaign released a Jedi character chart showing that
    Yarael Poof was on the Jedi Council during this time.

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    We need more canon stories of him.

clone commander bossk likes this.