main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2021 Evil Author Day (February 15)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Feb 7, 2021.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

Evil Author Day. EAD. February 15. No one is quite sure where it originated and different communities on the internet celebrate in different ways, usually involving unfinished fics.

Mav, Mira, and I figured what better way to add a little spice to all our lives than to welcome everyone to be just a little bit evil, and to post some fics that will never be finished. We all have those half-stated fics in our document folders that our muse was really keen on for the prologue and maybe chapter 1 and 2 but then quickly got distracted. These are fics that you might have loved the beginning but it never even got to the posting stage. Well, we want you to clear out those cobwebs and maybe torture some readers with some fics that will never* be finished.

(*Never say never, but also let’s just use this opportunity to release unfinished plot bunnies into the wild).
    [​IMG]

The Rules:

1. Up to 2 “never will be finished” fics can be posted per author on February 15. If a story is longer than what you would post normally, you can post over a period of days/weeks, but play along and start on February 15.

2. You can, instead of 2 stories, post 1 "longer" uncompleted story and 1 thread of a whole bunch of shorter (around 500 words or less) starts of stories you have written (or if you just want to do one or the other).

3. You can post 2 stories (or 1 story and 1 thread) to both Star Wars Fan-fic and 2 to NSWFF (so maximum 4 all together)

4. Readers get involved! Guess what you think might have happened! Or… writers use this as catharsis. Post a summary of what would have happened and release the idea from your mind.

5. Please say at the start of your story if you want to release the bunny into the wild (so another writer can adopt them) or not. If, as an author, you realize just a bit of feedback was needed to kickstart the muse again, thats fine! Go have fun!​

[​IMG]

pronker, Kahara, amidalachick and 6 others like this.
  2. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Index

Star Wars

Down |Saga - ST| by GregMcP
    Chosen
    | Before the Saga| by Kit'
    From the darkness monsters come...
    | Before the Saga| by Kit'
    Dustland
    |Saga-PT| by Briannakin
    Untitled (Sabe's Journal)
    | Saga| by Pandora
    Luminous Beings and Crude Matter |Saga PT; Saga ST| by devilinthedetails
    Chase
    | Beyond Legends| by Tarsier
    Unknown Goddess
    | Beyond Legends| by Briannakin
    Spikes; or, Chitin Deep
    | Saga PT| by Findswoman
    Untitled
    |Saga - Simpsons X-Over| by amidalachick
    The Play's the Thing
    | Saga | by Raissa Baiard
    Rites of Passage
    |Saga| by Seldes_Katne
    Stories of Life
    |Beyond Legends| by mavjade
    The Agent and the Hand
    |Beyond Legends - NCIS X-Over| by mavjade
    Precious Stones
    |Beyond Legends- Dollhouse X-Over| by Tarsier

Non-Star Wars

Between Precinct and Police Box
    | Castle/Doctor Who | by brodiew
    Untitled
    | Stranger Things/Storage Wars | by amidalachick
    Untitled
    | Stranger Things | by amidalachick
    Rescue Was the Easy Part
    | The Martian | by mavjade
    Auntie
    | The West Wing | by mavjade

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2021
  3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I love this idea so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    As a breif discussion, what are you planning on posting? Feel like giving a bit of a teaser? Or do you have to go through your documents to decide.

For me, I've had some time to think so I'm pretty sure I know which SW fics I'll be posting. One is a Beru Lars/Obi-Wan Kenobi love story. The idea was just so out there and weird and yet the set up was so good. I was so disappointed when the muse sputtered and died. And I think the second will be the beginnings of a Winter/Tycho fic. For those of you who remember and read "Lonely Goddess" know I have some headcanon surrounding Winter as a force-user and I tried to write a story expending on that, but I just could never do the story justice and gave up fairly early.

For the NSWFF side, I haven't decided yet because I have so many half finished WW vignettes I might edit down a few of them and do a thread. But all of them I do want to finish one day but some have been unfinished for like 4 years sooooo I might take this opportunity for a fresh start.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Oh jeez. That's all I write.

... Okay then, Down. A tale of madness in the last days of the Sith Eternal.
    A tale I can't figure out the end to. I have a vague plan, but I can't make it work.

Oh! And the Mrs Palpatine story. It sort of got ruined by pesky Canon, and so it was abandoned.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  6. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Yes, I certainly would like to participate! *goes off to decide which unfinished fic*

7. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I have three fics and it's going to be hard to choose only two...

Hmmm, apparently being evil is harder than I had anticipated.

My choices are:

Fitz - street kid turned Jedi. His origin story which was abandoned in 2005...

Tara - a character that's popped up again in a few different universes now. She's a favourite and this was supposed to be her big story. It kind of got half written and then left. Abandoned in 2002.

Tara/Namia are picked by their masters - written this year. I want to continue it, but there are just too many projects going on at the moment.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I look forward to being pleasantly tormented by fantastic half-written stories [face_laugh] [face_party] If a bit of feedback is all that's needed to start the stories going or if they get adopted, I'll be happy indeed! :cool:

~

Or as a third option, perhaps collaborating on a half-done fic. This doubles the potential for interesting plot ideas and also spreads out the writing load between two authors. [face_thinking]

I know for sure that my favorite SW story I wrote was a collaboration. [face_love] It got better than best with the second author's input. ^:)^

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    pronker, Mira_Jade , Tarsier and 4 others like this.
  9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, I'd never heard of evil author day before (I learn something new every day), but I like the sound of it. (Cackles and rubs hands together in villainous fashion.)

I've had an AU ST fic involving reincarnation that would be multi-chapter in scope that I've been toying with writing for awhile but always been afraid I would start and never finish plus that it would only have niche appeal because my imagination is a strange creature so if I could get anything started for that it might fit the bill perfectly for this event. I'd certainly be making no promises to finish what I started in this case.

(Goes off to contemplate acts of authorial evil.) [face_devil]

pronker, Mira_Jade , ZV-83 and 2 others like this.
  10. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    lol Not finishing fics is the ''evil''... and here I thought this might be an equivalent of anti-Mush Monday or anti-Valentine's Day, writing about discord and darkness and villainy... Dang it.

pronker, Mira_Jade , ZV-83 and 5 others like this.
  11. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Not gonna lie, I would have loved if this was some kind of dark, angsty challenge, (hey, it's me [face_mischief]) but I like this, too. Going to have to look through my documents and see what I have. [face_thinking]

pronker, Mira_Jade , ZV-83 and 5 others like this.
  12. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, I'll be putting up something both nasty and incomplete.

pronker, Mira_Jade , ZV-83 and 4 others like this.
  13. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I like this plan very much.

14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Or just torturing character's and dumping a buttload¹ of shavit on top of them that they Definitely Do Not Need.

¹ Buttload is a legitimate measurement, as "butt" is a name for a specific size of barrel, as well as being an abbreviated form of the word "buttocks".

15. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Cool challenge! I hadn't heard of evil author day before.

Does never really mean never? I have a story I'd like to post, but I do intend to finish it someday. But I seriously doubt I will even look at in the next 5 years, which of course could easily turn into never. And I'm happy to turn it loose if someone else wants to finish it (though I would reserve the right to finish it in my own way some day).

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Quoted from the OP:

(*Never say never, but also let’s just use this opportunity to release unfinished plot bunnies into the wild).

If, as an author, you realize just a bit of feedback was needed to kickstart the muse again, thats fine! Go have fun!

17. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I read that as "Butthead" and now all I can think of is Beavis and Butt-head. [face_laugh]

I've never heard of this either, but I love the idea! I think I have an old Star Wars crack fic snippet laying around that's definitely never getting finished. I might also finally post the dumb Stranger Things crossover crack fic that I've been dabbling with on and off but that isn't really going anywhere right now. :p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've loved reading EAD stories for years, but never posted my own, though I'm not quite sure why.

I've got a bunch of stuff on an old laptop that was malfunctioning I thought I'd backed up, but turns out the Apple Time Machine saves in an Apple proprietary format and so while I guess it's saved, I currently have no way to get to the backup. (Ha! That sounds kinda like the legendary board back ups.)

But thankfully I do have a few small things on Google Docs. I know I've got a really short start to a Luke/Mara and Ben SW story. I've got a few The West Wing stories to choose from and maybe a The Martian story.

That's perfectly fine because that's exactly where I am. I'd like to finish them, but at this point I doubt it's going to happen any time soon. People can certainly take them up, but I still might finish.... doubtful, but you never know. Just make sure you say that in the post of your story.

19. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If your avatar is any indication, I think I understand why you might read it as "butthead". [face_laugh]

20. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Thanks to twitter, I have a story to begin yet can never be finished... :tie:

21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Many many moons ago I started a fic and may have gotten 800 or 900 words into it before dropping it like a hot potato. I had a clever title and opening, but I had nowhere to do with it. Which was fine. It was a crossover. I just wanted these two characters to meet. So they did. But I never posted. This may be their lucky day.

This would be in the NSWFF section.

Castle meets The Tenth Doctor Between the Precinct and the Police Box.

After wrapping up a case with Beckett, Castle decides to stop by his bar, The Old Haunt. It is after hours and he is surprised to find the door open and strange man drinking from one of his prized bottles of scotch.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  22. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    It's the 15th here, so here is the first chapter of Down.

Yikes.

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    15th here too :) So my first is up (second will come later once I have an actual title)

Chosen

From the notes - I had grand plans of having a bunch of different one-shots of different padawans being chosen but that has all fallen by the way-side.

Part of me things that this would be a great collaborative story idea. Where people could write and contribute their own snapshots about how apprentices were chosen (doesn't have to be Jedi) across a different time lines and planets.

The plot bunny is free to use/take.

24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Second one posted -

Title: From the Darkness Monsters Come
    Author: Kit'
    Genre: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort (mostly Hurt)
    Timeline: Before the Saga
    Characters: Tara Tarindae, Fitz, Master Jed Ky-lann (OCs)
    Synopsis: It was supposed to be a routine mission. It went horribly wrong. Now Tara is lost and alone, without her Master and her sight. Rescued by two other Jedi, she must return to save the one she left behind...

Notes: Written for Evil Author's Day. This is unfinished. I started writing this in 2002. The problem was, after the initial premise it never went anywhere. There is no long plot lines to draw it together. So it's languished for close to twenty years on my hard drive. I've blown the dust off and edited out some of the plot holes but don't expect it to go any further...

If you do have any ideas for a plot, feel free to pitch them. I have to keep moving on Snips and Snails, and USJS and my Kit' long fic, and Only If and Something Wicked...

But I do want to get back to this.

One day.

2040 anyone?

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So, I still gotta decide what other SW fic I'm going to post (I really want to post this Winter one but I also have part 3 of my Breha/Bail saga I worked so hard on but probably will never actually finish) and I really need to go to bed, but here's the fic that inspired this entire challenge:

Dustland