main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Ipcress File. This is a spy movie that lands somewhere halfway between le Carre and Fleming. It’s relatively grounded, a movie of stakeouts and meet-ups conducted against a background of bureaucracy by drably workaday types. But while its mood is grounded, its plot isn’t, with kidnapped scientists and brainwashing providing the elaborate flights of fancy that would feel more at home with James Bond than George Smiley. The movie works great, though, balancing itself well and featuring a fantastic performance from Michael Caine as a wily, capable, but not superhuman counterintelligence man rooting out the threat. It’s a nicely done little spy thriller indeed.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Great soundtrack and cinematography, too, imo.

Master_Lok likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hunter Killer (2018)
    A Gerard Butler action movie with ALL the cliches.

All of them.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Confessions of a Nazi Spy (1939)
    Viewing Experience: Streaming (Prime Video, SD)

“This ’New Americanism’ is a formless iron that we will beat into another swastika.”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “You’d think from the number of spies they’ve been sending over here that we’re at war with Germany.”
    “On the contrary. It looks more as if Germany were at war with us. […] These stormtroopers are training to finish off what the propaganda starts. It’s a new kind of war- but it is still war.”

Some of the first American shots fired in World War II came from Warner Bros. With the Warners themselves being the sons of Jewish immigrants from Poland, they recognized the dangers of what was happening overseas and decided to do something about it. Donating Spitfires to the British, ending all ties with Germany and defying the censorship organizations under Jospeh Goebbells’ influence by producing anti-Nazi films. Confessions essentially began their (then-unpopular) reputation as an anti-Nazi studio as well as Hitler banning all Warner Bros movies from being shown in Germany and eventually lead to the development of Casablanca.

The film itself is inspired by true events but, as one would expect from a film of this era, it isn’t exactly subtle in its message. Though it veers away enough, it still steers into propaganda attacking propaganda territory frequently. It just happens to be a now-more-widely-agreeable message of “Nazis=bad” (a message that should probably be *universally* agreeable at this point but, well, sigh).

[​IMG]

The basic premise is a financially-hardshipped, thinks-he-is-brighter-than-he-really-is, German-American falls under the sway of an American Nazi propaganda organization and seeks out the German government (via writing to a newspaper) to offer his services as a spy (for a price). He is inevitably caught by the FBI (the CIA did not exist yet at the time), spills the beans and the rest of the film is a pretty linear Point A to Point B of the lead agent (played by Edward G. Robinson, the only really stand-out cast member) arresting those involved with little hindrance (as everyone squeals pretty fast, despite some not even being American citizens). Some minor plot points even seem unnecessary (why have someone’s ability to decode a message a condition of their cooperation when you have the key already?).

So, it’s not exactly suspenseful- and even when it seems it might be going for something more complex towards the end, they never pull the trigger on it and it all gets wrapped up nice and neatly. It feels unfocused, to say the least. It’s trying to cover a wide swath of semi-related topics, so it ends up being a mixture of simple pre-WW2 spycraft, almost-footnoted German Bund vs American Legion clashes, very straight forward interrogations by law enforcement and an abbreviated courtroom drama, stitched together by narrated newsreel sequences.

However, there’s definitely enough of story seed in there that this could be the basis for a remake with a lot of potential, should they ever revisit it. Beyond that, it’s more of a historical curiosity given the contemporaneous nature of the events it is dealing with- but the real-life historical context is more interesting than what actually ended up on the screen.

There are a couple interesting camera movements to mention, where it follows through doors into other rooms, or leads the viewer’s attention away from a direction before swinging back to surprise us. Several unique transitional effects are utilized as well- a silhouetted, goose-stepping wipe and swastika “iris in” being the most notable. A “newspaper headlines” sequence where the headlines literally jump off of the pages as the paper recedes into the background was another neat little effect I don’t remember ever seeing before, either.

A map of the German plans for America, with the country divided into thirds, also somewhat mirrors the divisions found in The Man in the High Castle, which was a nice little coincidence (as I’m sure both may be pulling from other sources, rather than each other).

Rogue1-and-a-half, GregMcP and Sarge like this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    East Side Sushi

In an emoji: :)

East Side Sushi is about breaking gender and cultural barriers, as the lead character wants to definite herself rather than her father's opinions and social norms dictate them to her. I found it to be a wonderful and inspiring film.

The film is available to watch for free for Amazon Prime members and on YouTube for free (if you've subscribe to YouTube Red(?)).

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Villains 2019

Black comedy.
    a young couple rob a convenience store , they drive away and their car breaks down in the middle of nowhere , they find an empty house and go in , its nice . Then they go down to the basement and ...

this was good , the lead characters are likeable and the twists keep it moving.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Is there any other kind? :)

GregMcP likes this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I don't know about ZDT but my friend who served 8 years between Iraq and Afghanistan and is a director actually really likes the human elements of The Hurt Locker. She told me she could relate to the sense of trauma in the soldiers because she too had been on the front lines and seen **** (don't let them tell you women didn't see action, they absolutely did).

However, she admits she knows nothing about explosive ordinance disposal and that those buddies of her find it totally off.

Sarge likes this.
  9. KaleeshFett

KaleeshFett Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2021
    The entire Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended editions) this past weekend.

Not a perfect adaption to the books, but a near perfect set of fantasy epics in my eyes.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I rewatched the EEs in 4k a few weeks ago. Soooo good.

Juliet316 and KaleeshFett like this.
  11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Gambit. A fun, creative caper film, it gets great mileage out of a fairly contained cast. Michael Caine is great as an overconfident thief trying to arrange a big con so he can steal a priceless sculpture from Herbert Lom. This goes very well in the outstanding fakeout into to the film, which plays out Caine’s plan. But when he actually recruits Shirley Maclaine for the con, she proves flightier but more capable than he expected, and everything starts going wrong. It’s entertaining and full of clever touches like Maclaine staying statuesquely silent throughout the fakeout — since Caine hasn’t actually met her yet. A great little heist movie.

soitscometothis likes this.
  12. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Nightbreed

An underrated little Clive Barker horror film about a man in search of an ancient city of monsters. With, of all things, David Cronenberg as a mad serial killer running amok stealing scenes.

AndyLGR and christophero30 like this.
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Framing Britney Spears (2021)
    Directed by: Samantha Stark

Christ, the '90's and '00's were a total misogynistic ****show.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Gojira

The original classic that started it all.
    What an amazingly awesome movie.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Clipped Wings (1936)
    It's an old B movie (at best) with awkward acting, awkward dialog, awkward direction, awkward editing, etc. The plot involves long-lost brothers, aviation cadets, Texas border oil smuggling, and army maneuvers. It didn't make a whole lot of sense. But there were some cool old airplanes, Curtiss and Boeing biplane fighters, Fleet biplane trainers, WACO cabin biplanes, and a flight of Martin biplane bombers. Biplanes are cool. :cool: Most of them were filmed air-to-air, although there were also some obvious backscreen shots of actors pretending to be pilots (badly). But even the airplanes can't make this one worth watching again.

christophero30 likes this.
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    have you ever watched a movie without any planes? :)

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Batman: Gotham By Gaslight.

I still maintain that, for whatever reason, the “out of continuity” DC Animated movies were generally of higher quality than that weird New 52 inspired line they made. This one especially; Bruce Greenwood remains my favorite for any emotionally mature Batman, and the way this plays with the alternate universe is fantastic. Not to mention, it uses its R-Rating appropriately - not for cheap gimmicks but as part of a genuinely disturbing story (it *is* Jack the Ripper, after all.)

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Brother Orchid. This gangster comedy has a premise you’re not likely to see anywhere else. Edward G. Robinson plays a mobster who retires and hands his racket over to Humphrey Bogart, only to run out of money and try to unretire. Of course Bogart isn’t interested in handing power back, and Robinson goes to war with him, only to get bested and have to hide out in a monastery, where he finds a new outlook on life. It’s not a classic, but it’s agreeably goofy, zippy fun, and Robinson has good comic chops.

GregMcP and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  19. CaliA

CaliA Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2021
    I started watching films from a detective collection that I found on YouTube
    surprisingly, all the films there are pretty good
    yesterday I watched "the Game", once I already saw it, but I forgot almost everything :confused:
    the film is really good, the actors are wonderful and the plot twists are very unexpected!
    highly recommend! :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Dagobahsystem and GregMcP like this.
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Snowpiercer Earth is now a frozen wasteland and the last of humanity have boarded a huge train thats in perpetual motion on a track that encircles the world. Loved the idea of this film with its class system from the tail to the front and the struggles of a band of people from the back trying to get to the front car lead by Chris Evans. There is some really dark stuff in this, none more so than when Evans is explaining how the passengers on the rear cars managed to survive with no food for a month until the 'elite' at the front started to supply them with 'protein' bars to stay alive. One scene that really stood out was as they are working their way through the train and when one particular door is forced open they are faced with masked soldiers wielding axes and spears to halt their progress. That whole scene as they battle their way through, (punctuated by an hilarious pause to celebrate new year), is fantastic. Clearly the film is a social commentary with the inventor of the train, driving it from the front, is revered as a god like figure amongst the passengers from that end of the train. Whilst the lower class at the back want more and to be treated as humans. Evans is excellent in the lead, whilst the leaders at either end of the train feature a couple of heavy weights in John Hurt and Ed Harris. This kept me really engaged and is well worth a watch. I need to move on to the series now.

The Negotiator One of my favourite 90's films and one that's either underrated or swept under the carpet because it features Kevin Spacey? Samuel L Jackson plays a hostage negotiator who is framed for a crime he didn't commit. So he takes a group of hostages himself in a government building. His only way to try and clear his name is to request that his negotiations are done through another hostage negotiator from a different part of town (played by Kevin Spacey) who he knows will be impartial. This is really tense game of cat and mouse as Jackson tries to gain Spaceys trust to help him, whilst the people that framed him want to take Jackson out. Great film.

22. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Quite a great film indeed and a worthy sequel as it were. Makes a lovely trilogy with the original and Saving Mr. Banks, imo.

christophero30 and PCCViking like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What would be the point? :confused:

24. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Hey Sarge, have you ever seen The Right Stuff? :p

Jk. I know you have.
    I love that movie.

Ahsoka's Tano, PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    RUN

In an emoji: =D=

Hulu's original film, RUN, gave me a Alfred Hitchcock film and Misery type vibes. I found the film very enjoyable to watch as it was thrilling and compelling. Sarah Paulson turns in another fine performance and the actress that plays the daughter has an equal strong performance. It's a simple and small story, and it works really well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.