main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Kahara, Anedon, Kit' and 5 others like this.
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
  3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
  4. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Aaaaaaand now... time for our next challenge! For this one, I’m reviving an OTP Thread classic...

OTP Challenge #19: The Return of Romcom... In Space!

Our original Romcom... In Space! challenge was devised by @Ewok Poet, the previous manager of this sock, and it was such a success that I thought, why not do it again? This one will function pretty much exactly the same way, with a few small differences:
    1. There are two columns below. Column A features plot points of the sort one sees in romantic (and other) comedies (note that several of these are borrowed from the original challenge—thank you again to Poet!). Column B features types of characters to include (e.g., younglings, parents, co-workers, etc.—which can be either OCs or ECs). Note this is a small difference from the original challenge, where both columns featured a mix of both plot points and characters.
    2. You will use a random number generator to throw two “ten-sided dice” (i.e., generate two random numbers from 1 to 10), which will give you a number from each column. For this, I strongly recommend Random.org over the default one your browser or Google is likely to give you. Also, since the boards don't have a “throw dice” feature anymore, meaning that we can’t see each other’s dice throws within our posts, please note that the honor system very much applies.
    3. Write a story incorporating both elements and the OTP of your choice. It can be humorous or serious or any combination of the two, and of any length.
    Stories are due by 11:59 PM (23:59) PST on Tuesday, April 13, which is the usual eight (8) weeks. (Again, that's the end of the day on April 13! ;) ) Voting will begin soon after that and will run for two (2) weeks.

Some things it might help to know:
    • It is OK if more than one person ends up with one or more of the same elements.
    • If your combination really and truly isn’t working for you, you are welcome to throw the dice again for another combination (within reason, of course).
    • NSWFF is totally OK, the “In Space!” part of the title notwithstanding.
    • The TOS and the honor system both apply, as always.

Column A
    1. Dare
    2. Misunderstood instructions
    3. Debilitating phobia
    4. Soul-gnawing secret
    5. Sudden awkward proposal
    6. Surprise announcement
    7. Word gets around...
    8. Disturbance in the Force (or equivalent in NSW fandoms)
    9. Awkward meeting
    10. Public confession

Column B
    1. Ex(es)
    2. Parent(s)
    3. Youngling(s)
    4. Childhood friend(s)
    5. Pet(s)
    6. Neighbor(s)
    7. Boss(es) (however defined)
    8. Co-worker(s) (however defined)
    9. Sibling(s)
    10. Service employee(s) (shopkeepers, etc.)

[face_dancing]Happy writing, everyone![face_dancing]

Challenge Index
    The Big Date by Gabri_Jade (Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade Skywalker)
    An Awkward Addition to the Family by devilinthedetails (Vestara Khai and Ben Skywalker)
    Forces of Gravity by ViariSkywalker (Allana Djo Solo and OC Darth Festus)
    A Different Side of You by Raissa Baiard (Kazuda "Kaz" Xiono and OC Wren Ordo)
    Changes at the Praxeum by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker; Kyp Durron and OC Sevrina Bendal)
    Journey to the Pet Store (part of Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails) by Kit’ (OCs Del D’ladame and Kithera Rinani)
    So Few Things by Mira_Jade (Bly and Aayla Secura)
    A Dare on Dathomir by Anedon (OCs Titus Fenton and Daria Djo)
    Peaches by Amidalachick (NSWFF: Stranger Things, Billy Hargrove and Steve Harrington)
    I’m Not Ready by Adalia-Durron (Kyp Durron and OC Adalia Tehanis)
    Ipso Psycho by pronker (NSWFF: Justice League Dark/Constantine crossover, John and Zee)

Out-of-Competition Entries
    Something There by Mira_Jade (Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel)
    The Captain, the H-Goater, and the Voorpak by Findswoman (Garazeb “Zeb” Orrelios and OC Shulma Trilasha Orrelios)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    This looks like fun! :D Ok, the random generator has given me 9 and 4: “Awkward Meeting” and “Childhood Friends”’. I have an idea that might work....

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Random.org gave me 3 and 9, both of which are way outside my area of expertise: "Debilitating phobia" and "Sibling(s)"! :eek: Will have to ponder a bit...! [face_thinking]

EDIT: I guess it's also possible to switch the numbers and get "Awkward meeting" and "Youngling(s)." And yes, as sock host, I say it's fine to use your numbers in either order. :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  7. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I got 1 and 1, which is "Dare" and "Ex(es)" [face_thinking] Hmm, we'll have to see if I can make that work. [face_mischief]

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo, I got Surprise Announcement (6) and pet(s). I can write something that brings in Chew Barka and Sneakers again [face_rofl]

9. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    Debilitating phobia and coworkers. With some ... liberal re-interpretation of what both of those mean, I have an idea that could work...

10. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    "Word gets around" and "bosses." Hmm, I might have an idea for that. I guess we'll see how it goes [face_thinking]

11. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh dear. I got 4 and 3

Soul-gnawing secret and younglings...

12. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Hm 'Dare' and 'Younglings' that opens quite a few possibilities. [face_thinking]

13. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    The muse cooperated, and I have posted. :) The Big Date, L/M.

14. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Hooray for our first entry! Got it in the index. :)

15. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First off, I have to give a belated round of applause to our winners from the last challenge. That was such a wonderful crop of stories, so much so that I am not at all surprised by the three-way tie. ;) =D= [face_dancing]

Then, this current challenge looks like so much fun! I can't wait to see what the muses inspire. (Especially as my own muse has yet to write a single word this year. Oi. :oops:) To that end, the random number generator gave me 8 and 8. So, there's no doubt about it: "co-workers" and "disturbance in the Force" it is. :p Hmmm . . .

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    CAN I JUST SQUEE! Yes I can! [face_love] Between this and brodiew's wonderfulicious High Republic ficlets, my ff cup is overflowing!

17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Been awhile since I tried to write a Ben/Vestara multi-chapter for one of these challenges, so that's what I'm doing this time around. So far, only a prologue is up, but I plan to have all the chapters up and the story finished by the deadline. If I don't I'll make my story a non-competitive entry instead:)

An Awkward Addition to the Family

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  18. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    And a second entry, hooray! :D Got it in the regular index for now; if at any point between now and the deadline you’d like me to move it to out-of-competition, just say the word.

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  19. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Finished and posted!

Forces of Gravity

Pairing is Allana Djo Solo/Darth Festus (OC)... to the surprise of no one. ;)

pronker, amidalachick, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Captain Rakkaus Thank you! I will let you know if I need to move my entry to the out-of-competition category, but I'm optimistic I can get the story done in time if my muse continues to be kind to me (watch as I jinx myself with this comment[face_laugh]). Thank you for all you do in running these challenges that inspire so much great fic![:D]

pronker, Kahara, amidalachick and 2 others like this.
  21. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    You are very welcome, devil! And thank you for being such a wonderful and enthusiastic participant and contributing to that great fic. You writer folks are the ones who really make these challenges great! [:D]

And got it in the index! Thank you so much! What an amazing start we are off to, folks! [face_dancing]

22. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    So I got Soul-gnawing secret and younglings (which my brain keeps replacing with siblings, which is problematic) and I was wondering - does the secret need to be between the couple? Or can it be a secret they are both withholding from someone else?

23. Captain Rakkaus

Oct 4, 2015
    Hi Kit’! It can be any or all of those—another possibility, of course, is a secret that one main character is keeping from others. However you choose to interpret the prompt, and whatever you need for the story! (Which basically is my answer to all questions about “does prompt X have to be about Y?” in this thread and all the threads I run! ;) )

24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So...let me get this right: we talk all the time and you didn't tell me that you were doing a tribute to my challenge? OMG. [face_love][face_love][face_love]

25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I guess I wanted it to be a surprise! :D I also thought you might see the tag sooner, but yes, I did want to give credit where it was due. :)