main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have no idea what I was googling but suddenly my Google ads are full of S&M Bondage stuff.

EDIT: I thought about it and I think because I was looking at Steampunk Plague Doctor masks Google decided I am now a dominatrix.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    When you're exercising to Abba music, realise that one of your characters canonically listens to an Abba inspired band, thus coming up with a holistic end for your plot based on that fact.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    For me, it was lots of Googling of Polish swearwords. Which was kind of fun to be honest.

4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    ...when you have promised one of your OCs she would get her own story eventually for years and now are finally acting on the promise.

5. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    When you've been struggling to write and you finally get 1,000 words down.

[​IMG]

pronker, Zer0, darkspine10 and 7 others like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...when you're pretty sure you have not written a single word for nearly three years, which means 0 words in both 2019 and 2020, but then you revisit it in state of existential dread and decide to get off your rear and actually do something. :)

7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    .....calling Mando "Mango" and some other people on the Internet are also doing the same so not sure if this is your fault or if this is the way. Now an origin story is needed to explain all this I am certain.

8. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Blame Kylo. [face_mischief]

9. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    That guy keeps breaking things and everything's his fault, I tell you what! :p

...when you just finished a story and said THE END but it's not really THE END because now you feel the need to explain the presence of a miniature kitten and the deal with pistachio ice cream and that's probably going to take another 10 chapters. Making up weird things is a complicated profession.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Make sure Shawn and Gus and a Pineapple are included in the Mando 'Mango' origin.

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...When inspiration is slowly returning and Light of the Jedi is paving the way. :cool:

...when moments of intimacy between your new OTP are few and far between and not able to be shared in public. @};-

...when The High Republic make you feel like a new Star Wars fan.[face_love]

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...there actually are things for you specifically to be excited about. :)

13. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Your long gone muse gets inspired by toothpaste of all things. I mean, it's nice to write something again but...toothpaste? Really? [face_dunno][face_laugh]

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can relate to this on so many levels, unrelated to fanfics.

15. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    The possibilities are endless with the those meddling kids. [face_whistling]

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you finally find your old notes with reminders of challenges you are supposed to respond to and there is this word: DOOKASTA.

It is what you think it is. [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized] Just when I thought I outdid myself in terms of absolute weirdness and that there are no more steps - yes, there are more steps. Dooku and Jocasta having had a romantic past.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    You are currently considering cannibalizing memories of pre-COVID travels and adventures to manufacture your version of mush fanfic. Because what else would you do with happy memories?

18. Bel505

Bel505 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 4, 2006
    So... that's actually kind of canon? Jocasta's backstory was entirely cut, but the actress has said that in the materials she was given, Dooku and Jocasta did have a romantic past...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    WHAAAAAT? Looks like I missed more than I thought. I made that up for funsies because it somehow made sense and I never bothered to check. AWESOME.

amidalachick, pronker and Bel505 like this.
  20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When you struggle to write your new OTP because you think they are too pure and holy.

When you had the same trouble writing Luke/Mara back in the day.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you look at drafts you made in 2018 and there's one with the title Roach, Roach, ROACH!1!1!!! that you are simply, simply too afraid to click on.

It's apparently a story set during the events of the prequel trilogy and it features no OCs. I'm really scared. Just...WHAT is this?

amidalachick, gizkaspice and pronker like this.
  22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Something from a Kafka-esque mood?

amidalachick and Starith like this.
  23. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    ...when you try to write something new that doesn't involve cats in it which works out fine for a while and then "Hey, what if I put a cat in this story!?" followed up by, "Nooo, you weren't supposed to do that!" Followed up by, "Yeah this actually totally fits in very well and nobody will know the difference!" :p

pronker, amidalachick and brodiew like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's my problem, BUT with cheap toilet humour.

amidalachick, gizkaspice and pronker like this.
  25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you write about Guatemalan settings so you spend hours on Google maps and websites posting in Spanish and then you think how easy it would be to set a story in the GFFA where you could, you know, just make stuff up.

amidalachick and gizkaspice like this.