main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the Saga [The High Republic] A Song Upon the Ocean (Avar Kriss, Elzar Mann ficlet thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Feb 20, 2021.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: A Song of the Ocean
    Author: brodiew
    Characters: Avar Kriss, Elzar Mann, Loden Greatstorm, other THR Jedi.
    Genres: romance, friendship, drama, angst, humor - running the gamut.
    Time frame: The High Republic - 200 years prior to The Phantom Menace.
    A/N: This is my first High Republic fic. I hope you enjoy. These characters are introduced in Charles Soule's Light of the Jedi. This thread will be where I attempt some romance, humor, and more. The source material gives a good idea of who these characters are, but does not go in depth. LOTJ(HA!) is the introduction to this new timeframe for the Jedi and the Republic and has a lot of heavy lifting to do. That said, I adore these two and hope to do them justice. Enjoy!

Impossible

Jedi Master Avar Kriss never tired of telling Knight Elzar Mann that his specific desired applications of the Force were impossible. He saw the Force as a vast ocean, deep and wide, teeming with undiscovered applications. When he sought the Force, he dove into the corners unexplored, the cracks and crevices, the opaque and seemingly unreachable depths. It was all with in the light, of course, but he was driven by an undeniable curiosity. Part of her impossible declaration, in any given instance, was to see his reaction. He was a handsome man, some said he looked like a holo star, somewhere between chiseled from marble and born of bygone gods mating with mere mortals. His dismissive smirk when ever she challenged him gave her a warmth that she could not attain from communing with the Force. Another part of the impossible was that she believed it. Elzar pushed the boundaries of what was understood. He reached for what was just beyond his grasp. He challenged what was established. This unwillingness to conform, if that was the right word, was part of the reason he had not attained the rank of Jedi Master. It was both frustrating and captivating. The final part was to see if it could, indeed, be done. As many times as she shook her head and told him his efforts would be fruitless, he had done the impossible. Many of those times drawing her into the effort with a request for her help. Help me. It was neither a demand nor a plead. It was an offer to join him, in the Force, to be part of something special. Not just to be part of it, to contribute. She could not deny him. It never occurred to her. She would goad him. She would tease him. She would never deny him her help. She had known Elzar since they were crechelings and their connection as friends and partners was unfathomable. Being with him, in those moments, closer to him than at any other time, she felt that their souls touched, if only for a moment. In those moments, those aching moments, Avar knew that there was something else she could not deny. She loved this man. She was not in love, like some core world debutante. She loved Elzar Mann. Though no one else may suspect it, she was pretty sure it was no secret to the man himself. However, things being what they were, whether he reciprocated, or not, had never come to the surface. He had not dissuaded or encouraged her. She had not pressed him nor had she tried to dispel her love. It had been this way for a very long time. And, for Avar Kriss, that was just fine.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It has to end in Grand Tragedy.
    All Star Wars romances do.

Unless you are a frog.

brodiew and devilinthedetails like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantastic introspection. Absolutely. I too love these characters and the grand sweep feels of the High Republic era itself. [face_dancing]

brodiew and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I am so happy that someone decided to write about Avar Kriss and Elzar Mann and the High Republic era in general. I totally think you are doing the characters and era justice so far:)

5. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @GregMcP: Hi Greg. Thanks for taking time to comment. I surely hope that is not what happens for these two, but time will tell. Canon is a fickle mistress.
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Thanks, Nyota! I didn't know that you had entered the High republic. I'm glad to have you on board. These are sweet in a prince and princess kind of way. They are serious minded about being Jedi, but my head canon has them somewhat naive in the ways of love. Especially given the Jedi Code.
    @devilinthedetails: thanks for leaving a comment, devilinthedetails. I'm glad to know I was on target. Avar and Elzar seem like a Snow white and prince charming in a way. She is so intouch with the Force and nature and his will and determination strike her fancy.

A/N: This prompt is from Nyota's Springtime Meadow of Wildflowers and Berries challenge.
    This ficlet takes place at the end of 'Light of the Jedi' after Elzar Mann has a devastating vision.

Silver lining

Avar Kriss did not linger long on her disappointment that Ezlar did not want to dance. She had danced with him before and he knew how to trip the night fantastic. He preferred more classical dancing, not going for the frenzied frolicking that others might. She respected that even if she liked to frolic a bit. This might her last opportunity to throw such caution to wind. She was to be in charge of the Jedi temple of on Starlight Beacon and as such, had to maintain certain level of decorum. As she entered the main hall, she scanned the room for Stellan Gios, another Jedi Master and longtime friend. Like Elzar, she had known him since she was a child at the temple of Coruscant. Unable to find him, she made her way to Master Estala Maru.

As she crossed the room, Avar was hit by a sudden disturbance in the Force. The song was troubled; anguish, desperation, and fear rippled into her. Stopping mid-stride, she almost stumble to the floor. Reaching out with the Force, she immediately knew that it was Elzar. he connection to him was deep and it helped that he was close at hand. She had just left him to seek the Force about his return to Coruscant He seemed fine, if a little melancholy. Not worrying about her near fall and whether it was seen, she did an about face and returned to the room where she had left him. What could have happened? These emotions were not ones she would ever associate with Elzr, much less any Jedi Knight or Master.

She found him leaning against the bulkhead, not far from the observation port where she had last seen him. He was doubled over, hands on his knees, breathing shallowly.

"Elzar!" she exclaimed, rushing to his side. "What happened? Are you alright?

Elzar straightened up to regard her. She noticed sweat on his brow and neck and a hard, but wary look in his eyes. Without regard to the code, she cupped his face in her hands. She wiped sweat from his eye brows and cheeks. It was not perfunctory, but more like caressing or stroking the face of a lover who was distressed.

"Are you alright?" she asked, again, looking into his distant eyes.

"I'm okay," he breathed, letting a long sigh. "I'm not hurt."

Her hands left his face as she straightened, but rested on his shoulders, retaining the questionable familiarity. He did not shrug her off.

"Whatever is was must have been serious," she said, softly. "It almost knocked me over. You can be sure that others felt it, too."

"I'm touched that you are so worried about me, Avar," Elzar said with a wicked smile.

"And why wouldn't I," she said, rising to his bait, but cutting it off quickly. "You are my best friend. Now, stop trying to change the subject and tell me what happened."

"I had a vision," he said, flatly. "A nasty one. It looked really bad for us. The strange thing about it, was that it didn't seem open to change. To misquote Master Yoda, the future is not in motion. It seems fixed and we will need to be prepared."

"That sounds ominous," she replied, evenly. "Bad for the Jedi? The Republic?"

"Bad for everyone," Elzar declared. "I'll need to meet with Master Yoda and the Council as soon as possible...But before I address that, I just have to address this.

Reaching up with both hands, he straightened her jeweled headband, resettling it in the center of her forehead from where it had been jostled in her rush to his aid. When he let go their eyes met and the knuckles of his right grazed her cheek softly. His thumb traced her jawline rode the contour down the side of her neck.

Avar opened her mouth, sucking in a breath as her temperature rose. Closing the distance between them, his lips met hers in a chaste, but none the less volcanic kiss. He broke it quickly when heard footsteps in the hall.

"That is the goodbye I wanted to give you," he said, his hands caressing hers at their sides. "A gesture to tell you how much I will miss being with you day to day. Do you think I made my point?"

She wanted more than anything to rest her head on his chest, to return his kiss, to feel his arms around her. She sensed he want it as well. But the footfalls and voices were at the door and the moment was lost.

"You most certainly did," she said, arching an eyebrow and turning to see Bell Zatifar, Estala Maru,
    Vernestra Roh, Stella Gios, and Skeer, all looking concerned.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent use of silver lining. Their warm connection is apparent alongside the ominous "it cannot be changed." [face_nail_biting] =D=

devilinthedetails and brodiew like this.
  7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't know much about these characters, but I like them.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I ship these two hard, so they'd better wind up together. :p

devilinthedetails and brodiew like this.
  9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, I love that you explored the aftermath of the vision Elzar gets at the end of Light of the Jedi!

brodiew likes this.
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the new characters of a time where the Jedi were the guardians.

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: thank you for your kind words, Nyota. I am so glad you hear that you ship these two hard. Me too! I was also happy to see your High Republic thread. we need more!
    @Cowgirl Jedi 1701: I am glad to hear it, cowgirl! Thank you for coming in and leaving a comment. If you liked it like you liked Poldo, perhaps we'll seem some Avar/Elzar from you. Check out Light of the Jedi.
    @devilinthedetails: Thank you for coming back! I'm glad you enjoyed this little postscript to then of LOTJ.
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Nice to see you here earlybird! Thank you for leaving a comment. This era and these characters are compelling.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  12. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    A/N: I apologize for the double post. I pulled trigger early on my replies before adding the new ficleft.

Make it Rain

Elzar Mann relished the rain. From a cross-legged, seated position, he lifted his head to heavens and lets the drops beat against his face. It was cool and refreshing. He dove into the ocean of the Force, thankful for its providence. The rain had helped to cool Kevan Tarr's array of tens of thousands of navidroids necessary to predict where and when any pending Emergence of the wreckage of The Third Horizon would occur. A significant portion of the array had been destroyed due to computational pressure. The droids simply overheated and exploded.

Elzar had an idea. A long shot as many of his ideas were. Avar, as she was like to do, thought it was impossible. As he entered the Deep and she listened to the Song, they were able to use the Force to manipulate the air and its moisture to form clouds and thus to make it rain.

Slowly opening his eyes, Elzar glanced at his partner. Her eyes were still closed and from the serenity of her features, he assumed she was still listening to the Song and offering her own thanks. The precipitation began to mat her bright as a sun blond hair, turning it into duller, but none the less beautiful, gold. He watched as water dripped from loose strands of her hair onto her tunic and joined the others in soaking her through. Droplets of water peppered her forehead, coalescing and streaking down the ridge of her nose and over the contour of her cheek. She was radiant.

“What are you staring at?” she asked, eyes still closed, entertaining the song and her partner.

“I was just considering that?” he replied, evenly.

“Were you, now?” she said, opening her lovely brown eyes and turning them on him.

“If I am to remain positive, dispelling all thoughts of taunting your unbelief by mercilessly telling you I told you so, I would have to say I am staring at a very wet, very beautiful woman who is undeniable evidence of a miracle of the Force.”

She smiled at him and gave a small huff of approval to his words. “My, but that was a mouthful. However, you should refrain from editorial comments on my facial features if don't want to encourage me.”

He returned her smile, edged with mischief. “And why wouldn't I want to encourage my partner.”

She blinked, slowly deciding to end the line of teasing. “It is a miracle, Elzar. You made it rain.”

He looked at her, sending his full acceptance of her in the Force. He wanted her to see him see her, fully. “You know better than that, Avar. We made it rain in the Will of the Force.

He stood, offering his hand to her. She took it and he pulled her up. “I think we should see what Kevan has discovered.”

“There must be good news,” she said. “I can see his excitement and feel his relief from here.”

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    funny and quite ingenious to help with rain

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved the teamwork and the unabashed admiring ;)

brodiew likes this.
  15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    No, of course they weren't flirting. Why would anybody think that? :p

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks for coming back, earlybird. I'm glad you are enjoying these.
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Thanks, Nyota! More of the same, I'm afraid.
    @Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Not a all, Cowgirl.:p These two are fun to write. There is something so regal about them both. I love the idea of how long they have known each other. And, subsequently, how long their feeling have been on the shelf.

Goodbyes

Avar Kriss lingered in the hallway just outside Starlight docking bay 23. She could not only see Elzar waiting by the loading ramp, but she could feel his restlessness and grief that he was trying to hide in the Force. Ever since his ominous vision he had not be same. He was still the man she secretly loved, but his countenance had darkened, of only a shade, due to weight of the knowledge of so many pending Jedi deaths. She had wanted to go to him to that night; the night he had kissed her only moments after the vision had occurred. She wanted to hold him, to stroke his hair and caress his cheek, to be with him in his time of need. She had not gone to him. She could not. But the not going hurt her. He was a missing piece for her in the Force, in her life. It was not that she needed him, not in a way that diminished her. Her need was symbiotic. He was the Ocean, deep and unfathomable. She was the song, melodious and carefree. She dream of how they mingled, how the Song glided over the Deep, taking the opportunity to bask in the spray of his waves, large and small. The whitecaps were him reaching out to her in the Force. The swells and valleys between the ways were his invitation for her to join him. She hover, observing him, knowing how deep and wide the Force was for him. She knew, also, thought it had only been spoke once as padawans, that his love her was as deep and as wide.

She could not say goodbye. She would not. It was not goodbye. It was 'until we see each other again.' It sounded weak in her mind and would sounds even worse on her lips. If she cold not say goodbye and would not send him off with a platitude, what would she do? Her hands trembled. She could feel emotion closing her throat. This had to stop. She was a Jedi Master for Force sake! She was the leader of the largest Jedi Temple outside of Coruscant. She was in control of herself.

She looked up from where her eyes had dropped to the durasteel deck plating. There he was. Standing in front of her. Reaching out and taking her trembling hands. His face was close. She could feel his breath on her cheek.

“You're troubled,” he said, softly.

“So are you,” she replied, meeting is sympathetic gaze.

“It's not hard to understand why,” he added.

“No,” she said, lowering her gaze to his chest. “It's not.”

“I will say it and I will go,” he breathed, as he felt her head rest on his shoulder. Using his forefinger, he lifted her chin so that their eyes met.

“I love you,” she said, taking the sudden initiative. “I have never stopped. The code be damned.”

“You stole my thunder, Avar,” he said with a low chuckle. “Your feelings have never been a secret from me. I am the one who has kept my love for you from you. The reasons are obvious, but now we are parting and if that kiss was not enough, I want you to know that the Ocean of the Force, is how deep and how broad and far reaching my love is for you.”

“Elzar...”

“Listen just a minute more, Avar,” he said, touching his forehead to hers. “You call me impossible. Or, perhaps it is the things I think the Force can do. What is truly impossible is the breaking of my faith and confidence and love for you.”

“Wow,” Avar sighed, releasing a shallow breath. “I don't think I have a declaration that will be beat that one. I am relieved and heartened to hear you say it. The air is clear and my heart it light. The Song is delightful.”

She placed a hand on his chest and kissed his cheek near the edge of his mouth. Like his, hers was soft and short, but suffused with love and light.

“I'd better not miss my ride,” Elzar said, bringing them both back to reality. “I will send word as soon as I arrive at the Temple.

“I will eagerly await it,” she replied, feeling him step away. “May the Force be with you, Elzar Mann.”

“May the Force be with you, Avar Kriss, Custodian of the Starlight Beacon,” he said, with a wink, as he turned and entered the docking bay.

Avar peered into the docking bay and watched as he boarded the transport. He did not look back. That was okay. She would not have either. They each had work to do.

Kahara likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Beautiful and lyrical & I am glad they spoke candidly.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Kahara likes this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great piece showing their love and may they meet again

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.