main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fanfiction Interview Thread - Current Interview: Vehn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 6, 2020.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite non-human species and why?

Favourite SW culture and why?

What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?

If you could change something in SW, what would it be?

What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you ride?

What do you want to see most: a sentient species in SW based on palms, orchids, hibiscus, or spider plants?

3. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Favourite non-human species and why?

Porgs, for the cuteness factor. They're probably my favorite thing out of the ST. [face_love]:p

Favourite SW culture and why?

The Wookiees are pretty cool. I also like what we see of Naboo culture.

If you could change something in SW, what would it be?

I wouldn't make the sequel trilogy, at least not the one we got. RotJ left things on a happy note, then the sequels destroyed it all. I hate that in modern entertainment, how everything always seems to turn out so bleak. Real life is depressing enough.

That's not to say we couldn't have more movies and stories post-RotJ. I really liked some of the Legends stuff, and I'm still honestly surprised by how much I liked The Mandalorian. So it can be done. The heroes can still have adventures, just let them go home happy at the end of the day.

I hope some of that made sense, my brain's not functioning very well at the moment. :p

What kind of food pie do you prefer? Meat, chicken, cheese, ham & broccoli or something else?

I love chicken pot pie! And any sort of dessert pie. :D

What fictional culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?
    &
    What real life culture would you like to see used as an inspiration in SW and how?
    &
    What SF technology that have not appeared in SW would you like to see appear?

I can't think of anything for these, sorry!

Do you ride?

I used to. I rode regularly for about 8 years, I think, and took a few lessons but I stopped because life happened. I actually wanted to take it up again last year but we all know how last year turned out. Future goals, I guess!

I've also been lucky enough to go riding in Las Vegas, New York City, and Seville. [face_love]

What do you want to see most: a sentient species in SW based on palms, orchids, hibiscus, or spider plants?

Probably orchids. I think a sentient (maybe even Force-sensitive) species that grows on trees/other vegetation and is deeply linked to its surroundings could lead to some really interesting stories.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any podcast you would like to recommend?

What kind of Force traditions would you like to see appear in the new canon?

What would you like to see in the future of SW?

What kind of things would you like people writing about in the fanon-thread?

What kind of things do you think the old EU was bad at creating or providing information about that you think would have existed or you find yourself needing for stories?

gizkaspice and amidalachick like this.
  5. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Any podcast you would like to recommend?

I'm not into podcasts. I'm boring like that. :p

What kind of Force traditions would you like to see appear in the new canon?

I'm not sure if it's a Force tradition exactly, or more of a skill, but I always thought flow-walking was really cool and I'd love to see them do something with that. Maybe tied into the World Between Worlds somehow?

What would you like to see in the future of SW?

More things like The Mandalorian and Rebels. Things that, to me, feel like real Star Wars. Adventures and the Force and humor among all the heavier stuff.

And I'm always down for more stories about the Skywalkers and Solos! I'd also like to see something with Padmé in her younger years, before becoming Queen.

What kind of things would you like people writing about in the fanon-thread?

I've peeked into it from time to time but I don't follow it regularly, so I don't have an answer for this. I love the idea of it and all the worldbuilding and creative ideas people come up with though!

What kind of things do you think the old EU was bad at creating or providing information about that you think would have existed or you find yourself needing for stories?

Nothing I can think of off the top of my head.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Best dressed in PT?

Best dressed in OT?

Best dressed in ST?

Best dressed in the old EU?

Best dressed in the new EU?

SW culture with the best fashion sense? And why?

7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Have you ever been chased by a Canadian goose?

Do you think a goose could beat Kylo Ren?

What do you think the Mandalorian Season 3 should be about? Should it have that orange loth cat?

Favourite activities to do during pastime?

8. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Gamiel

Best dressed in PT?

Padmé. I love her wardrobe so much. [face_love]

Best dressed in OT?

Lando. Because Lando.

Best dressed in ST?

I really like Rey's Jakku outfit, but I think I'd go with Finn for best dressed overall. I like his style.

Best dressed in the old EU?

Mara. I was never into the comics but she looks beautiful on the book covers.

Best dressed in the new EU?

Sabine. I love her painted armor.

SW culture with the best fashion sense? And why?

Going to say Naboo for this, simply because everyone we see has gorgeous clothes. :D

@gizkaspice

Have you ever been chased by a Canadian goose?

No, I always try to give them space to avoid that happening. [face_laugh] Sometimes it's hard, though, like when they're just hanging out all across a trail where you can't just go around.

Do you think a goose could beat Kylo Ren?

Absolutely, and I would pay good money to see it!

What do you think the Mandalorian Season 3 should be about? Should it have that orange loth cat?

I'm not sure yet. Probably something along the lines of "Moff Gideon/the Empire is causing trouble again so Bo-Katan and Mando put aside their differences over the darksaber and team up to save the day". I never claimed to be creative. :p And as much as I loved the whole Luke thing, I want Mando and Grogu to be reunited. He promised, after all.

Also, yes to the cat. Can never have too many loth-cats!

Favourite activities to do during pastime?

Travel, read, write, listen to music, Zumba and dance, go for walks, go for drives, go horseback riding. I took piano lessons for a while and I enjoyed it even though I sucked at it. And I love going shopping at thrift stores (and sometimes just going shopping, not gonna lie). Basically I used to kind of have a life! [face_laugh]:p

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any preferred breed to ride?

Any specefic style of riding?

10. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Gamiel

Any preferred breed to ride?

The first two horses I rode were Thoroughbreds, so that breed has a special place in my heart. I can't remember if they ever raced, but by the time I started riding they were calm, sweet school horses with years of experience being ridden by hopeless beginners and I loved them both. [face_love]

I don't really have a preference, though. I'd ride any horse that's healthy and well-trained and well taken care of!

Any specefic style of riding?

I learned English style, so that's what I'm most familiar with. I have ridden Western, though, and really, just being on horseback makes me happy.

11. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Where have you traveled or would like to travel?

What genre of books do you like reading?

Would you like to someday have your own horse and which breed would you want?

12. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @gizkaspice

Where have you traveled or would like to travel?

I've traveled quite a bit in the US, and I've been fortunate enough to dip my toes into the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans and the Mediterranean sea while visiting Australia and various countries in Europe, Asia, and Africa. [face_love]

There are so many places I'd like to see and things I want to do, but visiting South America and Antarctica is up there. And I've actually never seen much of Canada, so I'd like to do that. Going up to the Arctic and seeing the northern lights is on my bucket list.

What genre of books do you like reading?

Mostly nonfiction. I'll read anything, on any topic, as long as it's interesting to me, although I do tend to prefer animal stories, biographies, and books about science and social issues.

As far as fiction, well, my taste is not very sophisticated there. I try to read different things, but I love chick lit. Give me ALL the makeovers and fashion and totally unrealistic glamorous lifestyles and cliched romances! :*[face_laugh] I also still reread childhood favorites like The Saddle Club and various Sweet Valley series (serieses?) from time to time.

...I should be ashamed, I know. :p

Would you like to someday have your own horse and which breed would you want?

YES! I wouldn't care which breed. [face_love]

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have you read and/or seen the Black Stallion books/comics/movies?

Here in Sweden we have magazines for young horse people (mostly girls), with comics and tips about horsemanship, stable career and such, do you have anything similar in Canada?

14. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Gamiel

Have you read and/or seen the Black Stallion books/comics/movies?

I've read the books, and I think I saw the first movie. I also used to watch this TV show adaptation.

Here in Sweden we have magazines for young horse people (mostly girls), with comics and tips about horsemanship, stable career and such, do you have anything similar in Canada?

I'm not sure about ones specifically for young people, but we do have magazines like this.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can recommend the sequal.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    While we are about horses: horse movies! Any you recommend?

17. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Gamiel

While we are about horses: horse movies! Any you recommend?

Seabiscuit and Secretariat, both based on the true stories of these horses. The book versions are worth reading too.

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, an animated fictional story about a wild mustang. I absolutely love Bryan Adams' songs on the soundtrack! [face_love]

War Horse. This one's a tearjerker, but it's a beautiful story.

Now I want to rewatch all of these. :p If I think of any more I'll add them later!

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @amidalachick

What movies and books have gotten a rewatch/reread?

When you go on vacation, do you like the lake, the mountains, the ocean, or would you rather be in a place where you're not expected to "rough it?" [face_laugh]

Did you have a plushy growing up?

19. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

What movies and books have gotten a rewatch/reread?

Movies: Star Wars (obviously :p), Bad Santa, Sahara, Secondhand Lions, both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, The Emperor's New Groove (and basically all the classic Disney movies from the 90s), Saving Silverman, Deadpool

Books: The Anne books and the Emily trilogy by L.M. Montgomery, Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books, and various other childhood favorites like The Saddle Club, Thoroughbred, and Sweet Valley

I know there are other books and movies, but I'm completely blanking on titles right now, so I'll add them in later if I can remember them!

When you go on vacation, do you like the lake, the mountains, the ocean, or would you rather be in a place where you're not expected to "rough it?" [face_laugh]

The ocean. [face_love] I was 19 when I saw the ocean (and palm trees!) for the first time, and I fell in love. Barefoot on an ocean beach is my happy place.

Did you have a plushy growing up?

Yes! :) A little Halloween bat with an orange bowtie. I still have him and most of my other childhood stuffed animals, along with other ones that I've collected over the years. Some current favorites are a stuffed octopus, my Halloween porg, a rhinoceros, and a little mouse I take on trips sometimes. [face_love]

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I suggest Ken & Robin talk about stuff, they give great worldbuilding suggestions, talk about how to write, give food tips, among much more. One of the hosts is also canadian so there are lots of references to the magical beaver (or whatever there is that give you Canadians your powers), Canadian culture, food, politics, and such.

21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This is incredible. We agree on Finn and Sabine's cool clothes, Antarctica and a bunch of things that I never knew because you were more active in the other subforum! I'm enjoying reading your answers a lot. :)

Trying to think of questions...oh, my. XD

What country in continental Europe was your favourite and why?

Favourite Ralph Wiggum quote?

If you could totally erase a single fictional character from a work, who would it be?

Can you recommend me any quirky Canadian food that is not poutine and nanaimo bars?

Favourite Springsteen album?

Favourite Tori Amos album?

You have been here for nearly eighteen years. How would you describe your journey as a writer?

Continuing from the above, what's the most embarrassing thing you have ever written? As in, stuff you'd disown or pretend that it wasn't you who wrote it?

Do a random keyboard slap, write what you got and tell me if it would be a character, object or a place in the SW universe :D

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Canadian musicians you recommend?

Canadian movies you recommend?

Canadian TV-shows you recommend?

Canadian comics you recommend?

23. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    That's so cool! :D And I'm enjoying all these awesome questions! I have to wait to answer yours later when I have more time, though.

@Gamiel

Canadian musicians you recommend?

Céline Dion, Bryan Adams, Rush, Sarah McLachlan, Gordon Lightfoot, Paul Brandt, Terri Clark, Jess Moskaluke
    And a few more obscure ones: Luba, Payolas, Johannes Linstead

This is far from a complete list, so if you ever want more suggestions, feel free to message me or post in the social thread or whatever. I love sharing music recommendations! :)

Canadian movies you recommend?

Red Green's Duct Tape Forever, Canadian Bacon

Probably others that I'm forgetting right now. :p

Canadian TV-shows you recommend?

The Red Green Show and Trailer Park Boys (this one is very much NSFW, but it's HILARIOUS - the first 4 seasons and the Christmas special are the best, in my opinion)

Canadian comics you recommend?

Can't think of any, sorry!

24. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Ewok Poet

What country in continental Europe was your favourite and why?

Spain. It was the first time I'd ever traveled completely alone - no excursions booked ahead of time, nobody I was meeting up with - and the first time I was in a place where English wasn't the predominant language. It was kind of a personal challenge to myself to go okay, you're on your own, you can do this and actually do it.

And then, it was just so beautiful. I cried walking through the Mezquita and the Alhambra, and it was like I could feel the history in the buildings and architecture. And I got to see sunset over the Mediterranean on a beach in Malaga that I had all to myself, which was just amazing.

It's also where I learned to love wine, so there's that, too. :D

Favourite Ralph Wiggum quote?

Oh boy, there's so many. I'll go with a classic that I love for its randomness (although really most of them are random :p):

"When I grow up, I want to be a principal or a caterpillar."

If you could totally erase a single fictional character from a work, who would it be?

I can't think of any, honestly.

Can you recommend me any quirky Canadian food that is not poutine and nanaimo bars?

Ketchup chips
    Butter tarts
    And wash it down with a large double-double from Timmy's, eh! [face_tee_hee]

Favourite Springsteen album?

This is a tough one! I like them all! Tracks has so many amazing individual songs, and Letter To You, Born in the USA, and Tunnel of Love are all near the top for me.

But I think if I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with Darkness on the Edge of Town, just because of Prove It All Night. [face_love]

Favourite Tori Amos album?

Little Earthquakes, because that's the one that has my favorite songs of hers and that I'm most familiar with.

You have been here for nearly eighteen years. How would you describe your journey as a writer?

Yeah, I realized last year I've been here for literally over half of my life. It was kind of mind-blowing haha.

Anyway. How would I describe my journey as a writer?

Complicated. :p

I've written most of my life, and I dove headfirst into writing fanfic when I was young and enthusiastic. I'd post whatever crap came into my head and didn't have a care in the world about whether it was 'good' or not. I wrote SW fic exclusively for a long time, and then I branched out into The Simpsons, House, M.D., and Married...With Children and it was all fun and easy.

Then I got busy with work and school and travel and other things, and I mostly stopped writing for a while. Stranger Things brought me back into writing, but it was - different. I was older, depressed, anxious, and writing didn't bring me the pure joy from my younger days. I started becoming more critical of my stuff and being like "I'm not skilled/creative/good enough to write this". And as 2020 dragged on and things got worse, writing became just one more struggle. I find it so hard now to get anything out of my head and onto the page, and there's so much anxiety tied up with it all when I do. I don't even have any aspirations to write professionally or anything like that, it's just my brain being stupid and I don't have the energy to fight it.

That said, I've had a few bright spots. Like, I got to write a piece for an actual published zine that people paid real money to buy. And after about 16 years and multiple fandoms and lots of reading, I wrote my first-ever smut fics. They're not very good but I'm still kind of proud of myself. :D

And in the end, despite everything, I still love writing and I always will.

Continuing from the above, what's the most embarrassing thing you have ever written? As in, stuff you'd disown or pretend that it wasn't you who wrote it?

Years ago I destroyed some old notebooks with really crappy early fanfics that thankfully never made it to the internet. They were horrible SW 'parodies' that basically ripped off all my favorite Simpsons and Family Guy scenes and added in a sassy talking Jedi horse. CRINGE! If through some quirk of spacetime they ever appeared online I would totally deny them.

I also may have anonymously posted an older fic featuring some darker topics than what I usually write on AO3 recently because I was too anxious to put it under my own name. So I guess that falls under the 'pretend it wasn't me' category. :p

Do a random keyboard slap, write what you got and tell me if it would be a character, object or a place in the SW universe

Keyboard slap result: u wgleui

U Wgleui would be a place. I picture it as some little outpost on Tatooine. I have spoken. :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Gamiel, Ewok Poet and gizkaspice like this.
  25. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    *Learns all about Canada from @amidalachick being a confused WestCoaster* [face_hypnotized]

Does U Wgleui have cats?

Deadpool Vs Kylo, who would win and why?

Ralph Wiggum vs Kylo, who would win and why?

Hank Hill vs Kylo, who would win and why?

Favorite ocean animal?